TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

GolfSpy MPR

6 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Rob, thanks for sharing the video, it was a fun and informative watch. I think it complements the thread about some lower handicap players discounting higher handicappers knowledge well. 

Thanks. It was a fun trip and great time with Ian and Matt.  Ian was just as into working with me as you see him with Matt and others.  I may have presented a few more challenges than Matt.   But ive said this several times here.  His work with me on the wrist is something i continually work on and as you saw in the video it makes a huge difference in the flight and distance. 

I believe a fellow longtime member who shall remain nameless suggested that Matt should have put the FF part to the sound of the Keystone Kops 😂

But Matt did a great job on the editing.  Took probably 5 hours of continuous tape rolling and got it into two pretty good videos. 

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Man!!!! It even has the Adam Scott sound!!! Son of a!

Yes, the sound is really really good. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Man!!!! It even has the Adam Scott sound!!! Son of a!

The sound of these drivers is nirvana to the ears. Titleist did a great job getting the perfect acoustics out of these clubs. It'll be interesting to see as this review goes on how well this lovely driver face performs on both well struck shots and mis-hits. 

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Just did a quick peak at Adam Scott’s driving distance today.  Seriously crushing it with the long shaft and the TSi4 in the bag... he was already a long hitting dude, but getting them out to 340+... can’t say I remember that.

And he is playing a Ventus Red, the softest Ventus shaft that is high-launch

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

One observation. The TSi 2 in a 10 degree plus the Graphite Design AD-XC 6S is much higher launching (in a good way) than my SIM Max 10.5 with the Ventus Red 5S. On paper it doesn't make sense because the Ventus Red is supposed to be mid-high launch and the AD-XC is heavier and is supposed to be low-mid launch.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

4 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yes, thanks to @jlukes I caught on to him when they had like 5,000 followers and scheduled the fitting, Matt said if I agreed to have it aired on their channel they would do it at no charge.  So I swallowed any fears about having my swing exposed to the world and went for it.   It was such a great couple days there.  Played golf with @newballcoach and Matt the day before the fitting, then spent the better part of the day fitting and filming and just hanging out with them.

The fact they had 5,000 followers when I reached out and went to over 100,000 AFTER my fitting video.  Well just saying...😁

That was a great day. Great to meet you and make a nice day of it. It was super cool to play with Matt. Very nice guy, gracious host and holy s*** can he hit a golf ball. Anybody who thinks his numbers on the video are cooked, I have seen it in real life, and they are not. I didn't have my swing that day, but that makes it the same as every other day!

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

8 minutes ago, newballcoach said:

That was a great day. Great to meet you and make a nice day of it. It was super cool to play with Matt. Very nice guy, gracious host and holy s*** can he hit a golf ball. Anybody who thinks his numbers on the video are cooked, I have seen it in real life, and they are not. I didn't have my swing that day, but that makes it the same as every other day!

You warmed up nicely on the back nine and  moved it out there pretty well 

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

One observation. The TSi 2 in a 10 degree plus the Graphite Design AD-XC 6S is much higher launching (in a good way) than my SIM Max 10.5 with the Ventus Red 5S. On paper it doesn't make sense because the Ventus Red is supposed to be mid-high launch and the AD-XC is heavier and is supposed to be low-mid launch.

Are you making contact higher on the face? Maybe little more neutral contact?

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

Are you making contact higher on the face? Maybe little more neutral contact?

Not quite sure why im launching higher. With the SIM Max, i tended to hit high on the face. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Are you talking actual launch or peak height? Sometimes people confuse the two.

Also for the most part shafts themselves aren’t going to change launch or even spin. They may cause a person to deliver the club different which will cause changes in ball flight characteristics  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

Are you talking actual launch or peak height? Sometimes people confuse the two.

Also for the most part shafts themselves aren’t going to change launch or even spin. They may cause a person to deliver the club different which will cause changes in ball flight characteristics  

Launch angle and peak height are higher

Updated 07/15/2022

Specs like those are manufacturer generated and don’t really compare across other shafts. Also players respond to shaft feels and adjust. I would look at the head for the differing launch parameters and less on the shaft.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Question for the tester.

Did you get just the TSi head and you then get fit and select a shaft from Titleist? Is there a cost to getting the shaft you are fit for? I am assuming that you will have to cover the cost of the fitting? 

I'm interested in how this all works. Would like to do some testing and reviewing and I am just starting to get into the forum more.

Ping G5 ___10º driver
Taylor Made Sim Ti___15º fairway wood
Northwestern Ti___5 wood
PXG 0211 DC___5-AW
Mizuno MP_56º 
White Line_Putter

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Specs like those are manufacturer generated and don’t really compare across other shafts. Also players respond to shaft feels and adjust. I would look at the head for the differing launch parameters and less on the shaft.

Cnosil captured it pretty well. It’s possible that you are delivering the club in way that increased launch characteristics due to the weight of the shaft and/or head or the overall combo.

but without lm data for the two clubs on the same day in the same environment it’s all speculation 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 minutes ago, HomeTownKid said:

Question for the tester.

Did you get just the TSi head and you then get fit and select a shaft from Titleist? Is there a cost to getting the shaft you are fit for? I am assuming that you will have to cover the cost of the fitting? 

I'm interested in how this all works. Would like to do some testing and reviewing and I am just starting to get into the forum more.

Welcome to the forum, and great that you are getting more involved, we love that!

We--myself and the other 6 testers-all were encouraged to go to a Titleist Thursday for our fitting.  Titleist Thursdays are free and open to the public. It's a full 30 minute one on fitting with a Titleist rep that has the full disposal of shafts and heads available.   You come away from those with a very good fit and then we sent those specs to Titleist to build and ship to the testers.

There were I think 3 testers who weren't able to make it to a TT for one reason or another.  They submitted a combination of specs that either came from a recent fitting they had had with a local fitter, or from specs they knew worked well for them.

We are wrapping up testing for the year, maybe one more to come in the next week or so.   But no doubt 2021 will be filled with lots of great opportunities.  So get involved, in lots of discussions on the forum, whether it's starting threads that are on a topic that interest you --but use the search function first, there may already be an existing thread with lots of info for you.   Or just jump in any of the threads and share your thoughts.

Also make sure to create a profile pic/avatar if you read this topic, it'll give you lots of info on testing.

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Welcome to the forum, and great that you are getting more involved, we love that!

We--myself and the other 6 testers-all were encouraged to go to a Titleist Thursday for our fitting.  Titleist Thursdays are free and open to the public. It's a full 30 minute one on fitting with a Titleist rep that has the full disposal of shafts and heads available.   You come away from those with a very good fit and then we sent those specs to Titleist to build and ship to the testers.

There were I think 3 testers who weren't able to make it to a TT for one reason or another.  They submitted a combination of specs that either came from a recent fitting they had had with a local fitter, or from specs they knew worked well for them.

We are wrapping up testing for the year, maybe one more to come in the next week or so.   But no doubt 2021 will be filled with lots of great opportunities.  So get involved, in lots of discussions on the forum, whether it's starting threads that are on a topic that interest you --but use the search function first, there may already be an existing thread with lots of info for you.   Or just jump in any of the threads and share your thoughts.

Also make sure to create a profile pic/avatar if you read this topic, it'll give you lots of info on testing.

That is great info! I really appreciate the quick response. I have thrown my info out there for a few reviews. I will typically only do it if it fits my game and where I want to take it. I am your average golfer. I am getting closer to breaking 90 this year, probably the first time since college. When you only play a half dozen rounds a year you want to put your money where it counts. 

Ping G5 ___10º driver
Taylor Made Sim Ti___15º fairway wood
Northwestern Ti___5 wood
PXG 0211 DC___5-AW
Mizuno MP_56º 
White Line_Putter

I recently went to a store with GC Hawks to do some driver testing with a Honma TR20 I won.  AT the end decided to check out TSi3.  Gathered the data for info/entertainment.  MY takeaway was, ball speed off TSi3 wasn't any faster than M5.  Avg were about equal.  My spin numbers with M5 were very erradic.  More stable with TSi3.  I don't think I found the best combination as all I had avail was Tensei wt and Smoke RDX in 60gX, TSi3 couldn't keep it right of target at all.  Best with M5 was 163.1mph 294yd/313yd, best with TSi3 161.8mph 292yd/308yd.  

512819261_Honmatesting.JPG.f8966ffce66972d3a2015f8560275d6a.JPG

Edited by ejcrossl
spelling mistake

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

6 minutes ago, HomeTownKid said:

That is great info! I really appreciate the quick response. I have thrown my info out there for a few reviews. I will typically only do it if it fits my game and where I want to take it. I am your average golfer. I am getting closer to breaking 90 this year, probably the first time since college. When you only play a half dozen rounds a year you want to put your money where it counts. 

Driver, its always driver 😄

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

1 minute ago, HomeTownKid said:

That's awesome, if you look at a few of our recent reviews like the Nippon shaft and the huge Hogan one, we have several new first time testers, we are always wanting to get new "blood" involved as it really gives a wide range of experiences. 

playing ability has no effect on getting chosen or not.  Often if there is a club that an OEM feels is best suited to a particular handicap level, we will try to target that demographic.  But the vast majority of tests offer products that can be played from a scratch to 100's shooters. 

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

I recently went to a store with GC Hawks to do some driver testing with a Honma TR20 I won.  AT the end decided to check out TSi3.  Gathered the data for info/entertainment.  MY takeaway was, ball speed off TSi3 wasn't any faster than M5.  Avg were about equal.  My spin numbers with M5 were very erradic.  More stable with TSi3.  I don't think I found the best combination as all I had avail was Tensei wt and Smoke RDX in 60gX, TSi3 couldn't keep it right of target at all.  Best with M5 was 163.1mph 294yd/313yd, best with TSi3 161.8mph 292yd/308yd.  

512819261_Honmatesting.JPG.f8966ffce66972d3a2015f8560275d6a.JPG

I am generally finding similar results re: ball speed so far. It is every bit as fast as my Epic, but isn't some world beater. To Titleist's credit, I don't think they are making any grand promises to hit new ball speed records, but they are touting a focus on ball speed consistency across the face, which should in theory help me more often.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

One other thing that warrants mentioning now that these will be available in stores next week, is that according to my fitter at TPI more people are lofting *up* as a result of their their fitting due to the TSi3 launch characteristics. Something to keep in mind for those who might pull the trigger without a full fitting.

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

24 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

One other thing that warrants mentioning now that these will be available in stores next week, is that according to my fitter at TPI more people are lofting *up* as a result of their their fitting due to the TSi3 launch characteristics. Something to keep in mind for those who might pull the trigger without a full fitting.

And another note which kind of fits what the TPI fitter said, my TT fitter said he has fit several pervious TS3 players into a TSi2 due to the lower spin of theTSi3.   So yes, if you can try these out vs buying blind, that is the ideal way.  But this being a golf forum that serves a certain segment of golf addicts that are not opposed to just buying without hitting first, you'd be wise to either loft up in your Tsi3 or consider the TSi2. 

Like music to my ears. POW!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Got 9 in this morning so just went in blind w TSI2 outta the box. Try not to get ahead of myself but the couple drivers hit were dead straight, no fade, no draw just dead a** down middle . Height a bit low but for now that can be a number of things.
1st date not bad see how second date goes.Image1604692947.011001.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Got 9 in this morning so just went in blind w TSI2 outta the box. Try not to get ahead of myself but the couple drivers hit were dead straight, no fade, no draw just dead a** down middle . Height a bit low but for now that can be a number of things.
1st date not bad see how second date goes.Image1604692947.011001.thumb.jpg.b9bf11ed7cdb8aa039e0e77ca7cec0a6.jpg

Image1604692983.123725.jpg

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

1st date not bad see how second date goes.emoji106.pngImage1604692947.011001.jpg

Image1604692983.123725.jpg

Nice work. I definitely need to hit some more balls with it. I have gotten so used to the ball going so far right with the SIM Max that i started hitting pulls.

Updated 07/15/2022

I have a round slated for tomorrow morning, but it's going to be wet and windy. Not ideal for my first 18 with the new driver but as long as there isn't lightning I will be playing - and hitting driver at every non-par 3 even when it makes no sense 😆

Another glamour shot! I think I like photography just a smidge less than golf. 

As you can see, I moved the weight over to the H2 slot. I was hitting a fair share of slices today when I took it out, which isn't the norm for me. After moving the slider, things started to get back on track. Going to leave it here for a while longer to see how it plays out, because it could have just been the golf gods granting me a few good hits. 

IMG_5975.jpg.c51341d8af315b17c962df3646a63f42.jpg

Have a wide open weekend to play tomorrow and Sunday, and then a 4 day work week next week. Should get plenty of rounds in!

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

I have a round slated for tomorrow morning, but it's going to be wet and windy. Not ideal for my first 18 with the new driver but as long as there isn't lightning I will be playing - and hitting driver at every non-par 3 even when it makes no sense 😆

Wet? Did you move from San Diego 😂😂