TESTERS WANTED! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

GolfSpy MPR

Keep up the great work boys! The note I keep taking from this is to go get fit... I have been fit numerous times over the last 12 years and to see how your specs change year to year based on your swing or body condition. The last couple years I have noticed needing to go higher in loft in order to maximize carry even at close to 115 mph. 

Seems like the TSi3 a few will have to loft up if they prefer that shape.

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Got to the range today. The range at my club closed early so I had to go to a different range. Put a better swing out there today, starting to get more comfortable with the TSi 2. The GD AD-XC is smooth.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On a negative note, I need to be more careful, skied one and left a small but not very noticeable idiot mark. I am pretty sensitive to tee height and this new range I went to had some sort of carpet that you can put your own tee in, but it only goes in a very small amount. So my regular tees were too tall and then thats when I skied one.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I am generally finding similar results re: ball speed so far. It is every bit as fast as my Epic, but isn't some world beater. To Titleist's credit, I don't think they are making any grand promises to hit new ball speed records, but they are touting a focus on ball speed consistency across the face, which should in theory help me more often.

I am finding that the TSi is very consistent on miss-hits. Still getting some good distance on different portions of the face. Still need to get it on the launch monitor again!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I've decided that I am going to do my Trackman session near the end of the review period instead of right away. My thought process here is that I have been playing the SIM Max for about 10 months, and I wan some time to get used to the TSi 2. However, it will only be TSi 2 on course. I know exactly how the SIM Max performs on course.

Updated 07/15/2022

I've decided that I am going to do my Trackman session near the end of the review period instead of right away. My thought process here is that I have been playing the SIM Max for about 10 months, and I wan some time to get used to the TSi 2. However, it will only be TSi 2 on course. I know exactly how the SIM Max performs on course.

I like that approach. It will only be TSi 3 on the course for me as well. I’m thinking I’ll even pull driver on holes I normally wouldn’t just to see if this can create some new lines for me! So far through 1 round it has...

1 hour ago, HeathS16 said:

I like that approach. It will only be TSi 3 on the course for me as well. I’m thinking I’ll even pull driver on holes I normally wouldn’t just to see if this can create some new lines for me! So far through 1 round it has...

I will be playing driver on all non-par 3s. I tend to find a way to mess up irons off the tee on non-par 3s to begin with 😂

- 3 wood: Topped
- Hybrid: Dead left pull
- Iron: Should be safe but find a way to hit it OB

Updated 07/15/2022

4CB47730-78F3-48C4-B918-ACEDCC9A4FED.JPEG.0cba156108929718d88449d8f4a4172d.JPEG

Updated 07/15/2022

@dlow206 I'm especially interested in your review here. My pops recently got the SIM Max with the Ventus Blue shaft (jealous much?!). I've hit it a few times and I'll have to admit that it's probably the best looking, feeling, sounding, and performing driver out. For me anyway. Even with the wrong flex (for me) it just sends bombs.

My pops doesn't have a very consistent swing but I've seen him hit the best drives he's ever had with it.

I'm thinking that 2021 might be the year of the new driver for me and I'm dead set on the SIM.. but I'll be anxious to see how the Tsi compares.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

2 hours ago, azstu324 said:

@dlow206 I'm especially interested in your review here. My pops recently got the SIM Max with the Ventus Blue shaft (jealous much?!). I've hit it a few times and I'll have to admit that it's probably the best looking, feeling, sounding, and performing driver out. For me anyway. Even with the wrong flex (for me) it just sends bombs.

My pops doesn't have a very consistent swing but I've seen him hit the best drives he's ever had with it.

I'm thinking that 2021 might be the year of the new driver for me and I'm dead set on the SIM.. but I'll be anxious to see how the Tsi compares.

The SIM Max is definitely a good driver, but I have found out its not the right one for me. When i hit it good, its really good. But for folks that are faders/slicers (me), it can get a little dicey. I mean, of course I can hit a terrible slice with any driver, but I find the SIM Max to be more punishing. There is a long thread on WRX of folks who have similar findings, but a lot of folks love it because it helps take away the left side.

@azstu324- is your dad playing the Ventus Velocore blue or the stock made for Ventus Blue?

Updated 07/15/2022

Ended up still playing yesterday but there was standing water on about half the greens so we played simulator rules for putting. Didn’t matter for the driver! I had a couple loose drives to start the day but got it going on the back 9. I don’t have any shot tracking data and wind was swirling so distances were kind of whacky, but I was 5/7 in fairways (2/5 on the front with driver). It was actually nice (for review purposes) to have a few of my typical misses. I think the big takeaway is that my TSi felt more forgiving than my Epic. I don’t know how much comes from the heavier shaft mitigating some of my bad left misses vs a more forgiving head, but what would have been snappy hooks turned into pulls - not good shots, but playable. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Since I am referencing my gamer a lot, here is a top-down comparison to the Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond. Pretty similar view with high gloss, but a slightly more traditional shape and cleaner look for the TSi in my view. 

200211571_TSivs_Epic.jpg.3e097b68aadb5f9716abd227aa1c0168.jpg

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Image1604872511.215921.jpg
Not looking great for any playing or testing for most of this week.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Got a round in today. Keep in mind, I was implementing a driver swing change for the first time. Accuracy was up significantly for the round, 8/14 "satisfactory" drives. Definition of satisfactory is that it was either in the fairway or rough, did not put me in a bad position for a second shot (i.e. don't have to punch out), not OB, you get the point. Think I only had one bad OB shot.

Distance wasn't particularly long, but part of it was implementing the swing change for the first time, part of it was because it was cold outside and bundling up on the clothes doesn't help my swing speed. Best shot off the tee with the TSi 2 today was on hole 18, hit it straight on the line I envisioned. It's a bit hard to see in the picture, but the drive ended up in about the perfect spot in the fairway, but of course i managed to ruin the second shot.

Hole18_2020-11-08.jpeg.65b6b9eec0d895f6bd6e69d43631a4b1.jpeg

Updated 07/15/2022

Will be taking the TSi to Payne’s Valley Friday...yes I have a countdown. Might I be the first person to play the TSi3 there!?

On 11/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, dlow206 said:

On a negative note, I need to be more careful, skied one and left a small but not very noticeable idiot mark. I am pretty sensitive to tee height and this new range I went to had some sort of carpet that you can put your own tee in, but it only goes in a very small amount. So my regular tees were too tall and then thats when I skied one.

I have to give a ton of credit to Cobra on the Speedzone driver for that... the Infinity Face basically eliminates the risk of paint chips on the crown from.... the occasional less than ideal contact... which is a far cry from the F9.  But I always thought that the glossy crowns hid any marks a little better than matte finished ones.  Range balls certainly don't help though.  

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

31 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I have to give a ton of credit to Cobra on the Speedzone driver for that... the Infinity Face basically eliminates the risk of paint chips on the crown from.... the occasional less than ideal contact... which is a far cry from the F9.  But I always thought that the glossy crowns hid any marks a little better than matte finished ones.  Range balls certainly don't help though.  

Yeah, I can see what you mean for matte vs. glossy. I've found the non-black carbon fiber look of the SIM Max hides crown marks well. You really can't see any marks.

Updated 07/15/2022

The SIM Max is definitely a good driver, but I have found out its not the right one for me. When i hit it good, its really good. But for folks that are faders/slicers (me), it can get a little dicey. I mean, of course I can hit a terrible slice with any driver, but I find the SIM Max to be more punishing. There is a long thread on WRX of folks who have similar findings, but a lot of folks love it because it helps take away the left side.
[mention=76102]azstu324[/mention]- is your dad playing the Ventus Velocore blue or the stock made for Ventus Blue?
Pretty sure it's the "made for" Ventus. Although I'm sure the Velecore version is much nicer, I don't dare send my dad down the rabbit hole of aftermarket shafts. Everything he plays is by my recommendation and he really has no clue why I built his set the way I did. But it's very custom for him and works great. I've got the head for the tech and details. He just wants to swing a club and make the ball go toward the hole.

If I do end up getting a new driver, I'm definitely interested in the aftermarket Ventus, either blue or black. The made for version already plays great so I'm sure the Velocore version is a winner.

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

55 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Pretty sure it's the "made for" Ventus. Although I'm sure the Velecore version is much nicer, I don't dare send my dad down the rabbit hole of aftermarket shafts.

It’s absolutely a “made for”...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I am getting another range session in tomorrow and should be able to rent out the launch monitor. Anyone out there have any questions?

I am getting another range session in tomorrow and should be able to rent out the launch monitor. Anyone out there have any questions?

Is there a Golf Shop you frequent often that will let you have some free LM time at “slow time”?
I have a SC 200 that is now a “neighborhood” unit and waiting until monsoon stops.
I’m going to get some Golf Shop (off peak) time for spin rates which are not available on the SC200.
I like the SC200 because it’s being used outside.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I wrapped up my range/launch monitor evaluation today and took the TSi2 to the course for the first time.  So far, what I saw on the range holds true on the course.   Today, I hit four drives on each hole, alternating between my gamer driver and the TSi.  I’ll try to get a few more rounds in comparing the two this week, before the rain sets in.  

hint:  so far things are looking good for the TSi2.

Edited by alfriday101

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

Is there a Golf Shop you frequent often that will let you have some free LM time at “slow time”?
I have a SC 200 that is now a “neighborhood” unit and waiting until monsoon stops.
I’m going to get some Golf Shop (off peak) time for spin rates which are not available on the SC200.
I like the SC200 because it’s being used outside.

I just have the local driving range which has a few TopTracer bays for rent. Would be great to get on a Trackman, but I don't have a connection for that unfortunately.

With the Tropical Storm upon us don’t think I’m going anywhere for a few days.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Just now, Rickp said:

With the Tropical Storm upon us don’t think I’m going anywhere for a few days.

Stay safe

Updated 07/15/2022

On 11/5/2020 at 9:04 AM, Lacassem said:

Shoutout to @dlow206for the ball marker. Very nice cut and by the looks of it match up with the spy ball lab test! Will be using this soon enough hopefully!

05D67564-51E8-4E31-9E51-CCD8EFAC4DE7.jpeg

99349FDF-1493-40BF-A897-06E540FC77C5.jpeg

Cool!  Where can I order one?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I really don’t pick up “swag” anymore but that marker is definitely unique and I’d get one if I could also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

15 minutes ago, Rickp said:

I really don’t pick up “swag” anymore but that marker is definitely unique and I’d get one if I could also.

I got them off ebay.

I have 3 more left, and I will be giving them away as part of this thread, so stay tuned. 

Updated 07/15/2022

1 minute ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

After some time on the range last week, I got out on course twice with the driver this week.   This was my first ball on the first tee, with no range warmup.  You have to look closely in the lower left hand corner to see the drive distance—-232.  This is my longest drive EVER on this hole.   And just fo be sure.  I hit a second one, that was literally 5 yards to the left of it. 

This was on a par 5 that im usually around 200 or so, but I carried it just far enough—about 215, to catch a slight downslope. 

Looking forward to more of these this year. 

Nice work right there. Was the guy around that said you wouldn't hit the ball farther with a new driver?

Updated 07/15/2022