2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I did something very similar with a stat i created a couple years ago-RGIR—meaning Realistic Greens in Regulation.  
So if i was behind a tree, or was 200 plus out on a par 4, i had no chance to reach either of those greens   But if i was in the fairway or light rough 130 yards out, that is a RGIR. So i tracked my stats on those to get an idea of my iron play  

I am stealing this! As nature hates me on even some of my best drives. 

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Golfspy_CG2 and the fine folks at Titleist have set me up to get fitted here tomorrow...I am officially the luckiest SOB on this site! MUCH more to come very soon...

Review and results of my fitting on 10/22/2020 Showed up to my Titleist Thursday fitting at the Golf Club at Newcastle about 20 minutes early. Skipped warm-up with irons, so went straight to warm

I am not going to lie people, this post has taken me a long time to write and post.  This is not a bad thing, I simply could not find the words to describe what happened this afternoon at 3 pm central

Posted Images

Hopefully all the testers get fitted for their drivers.  I will be interested to know if any/all of the fitters bring up shaft length - and more specifically shorter "tour" length.  

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

8 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hopefully all the testers get fitted for their drivers.  I will be interested to know if any/all of the fitters bring up shaft length - and more specifically shorter "tour" length.  

I am definitely going to bring up shaft length tomorrow with the fitter if he doesn't bring it up. 

• Like 5

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I am stealing this! As nature hates me on even some of my best drives. 

Yup, I really like a statistic that means something to me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Just now, dlow206 said:

I am definitely going to bring up shaft length tomorrow with the fitter if he doesn't bring it up. 

Yes... wait to see if he/she brings it up first.  I'm curious whether the "shorten em up" movement is growing. 🙂  Currently reading Tom Wishon's "Search for the Perfect Golf Club" and he was onto this excessive shaft length at least 15 years ago.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I will definitely be bringing this up at my fitting tomorrow. If I hadn’t gotten picked for this test, my next and final try with my Epic was going to be to cut it a half inch shorter to 44.5” before giving up on it completely. My irons are standard length but I play a 42.5” 3 wood and I love it, so I wonder if it would translate to the driver. 

• Like 4

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

15 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

That is something I'll be interested to see if he addresses with me or not.  Most fitters don't seem to bring it up for me, maybe the fact I'm 6'4" has something to do with it.   But way back in the day, I hit a friends driver that was I think 43 maybe 44 inches and it felt noticeably shorter than my 45" but boy I hit it right on the "screws" and had some pretty long drives with it.   

i recently asked a fitter via Twitter about if I already had a good positive angle of attack and felt my swing speed is about as much as I can get out of it, is there any hope for more carry and or yardage.   he suggested adding a 1/2" to it.   I know that' an easy answer for more speed, but how much of a cost in terms of accuracy does it come with.  Or even control of hitting it square. 

• Like 5

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

i recently asked a fitter via Twitter about if I already had a good positive angle of attack and felt my swing speed is about as much as I can get out of it, is there any hope for more carry and or yardage.   he suggested adding a 1/2" to it.   I know that' an easy answer for more speed, but how much of a cost in terms of accuracy does it come with.  Or even control of hitting it square. 

Based on your question that is the best answer. If you are missing the center, then that is something that should be worked on as well. Everyone will respond to length differently. As you said, will in impact your ability to square the face or reduce your ability to hit the center of the face.
  • Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

So when I get to my computer, I’ll let you guys know what happened today. Let’s just say the results of this fitting were flat out eye popping...in a good way.

• Like 8

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

I had a very surprising result from my fitting (in a good way). Very different than i could ever have imagined. I will post a lot more detail when i get home.

• Like 8

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

17 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

So when I get to my computer, I’ll let you guys know what happened today. Let’s just say the results of this fitting were flat out eye popping...in a good way.

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I had a very surprising result from my fitting (in a good way). Very different than i could ever have imagined. I will post a lot more detail when i get home.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

25 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Can’t wait to hear about the results!

• Like 2

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

That is a beautiful sight, hartrick

• Like 4

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Well. I won’t keep everyone waiting too long.  Ill recap my fitting. Mine was pretty stock boring, I’m sure some of the faster guys will have some more exciting results. 

One great aside to start with. I arrived about 30 minutes early to warm up with a small bucket to get loose.   My swing was in a very good place.  I was really dialed in with the 7 iron, then about 6 of 7 drives to wrap up the warm up.  I could have kept hitting that T200 7 iron all day, it was feeling so good. 

Anybody who read about my horrible range session on Tuesday, will know how happy this made me! 

OK-The Fitting

My Gamer: TS1 9.0 Fubuki 45g Sr. flex.  
what i like about it.  It’s a fairway finding machine, literally.  I may miss 2 fairways a round.  A bad day might be 3.  It launches high, 16 degrees and apex around 88-90 feet.  

what i don’t like about it. I feel it spins too much and loses steam too soon.   It seems to just fall out of the sky.  

what i was looking for from the fitting.  To generate less spin without sacrificing accuracy.  And as a result, pick up a few more yards. 
The magic weapons i’ll have to work with 

98B2405C-8C32-45DB-831C-13E68022E341.jpeg

B1B51B50-83AC-4ECC-8A1E-F1D0FF5516FA.jpeg

17EAD393-5A3B-44AD-A708-D29287791D09.jpeg

My fitter Jeff getting something ready for me

4C771D0A-BE24-4D21-81A3-98A6C1FFBC2B.jpeg

We started with 5 swings with my TS1.  We saw what i normally see which helps. He noted right away the shaft was wrong for me.  I was getting 3100 to 3200 spin on the shots at 16 to 17 degrees.  

He said that is way too much spin for me as i don’t have any issues getting the ball in the air.  Launch was a bit high with that spin.  He said he could live with 16 degrees if i had lower spin.  And the A flex was killing me, by being way too tip soft. 

So we started with a Kuro Kage black in 50g Regular flex.  We immediately saw a more penetrating flight. Even though it wasn’t as high (78 feet) it carried 8 yards farther as the spin was down go 2700.  And ball speed was up about 2 mph.  So a bit more speed with a few grams heavier shaft.   A few more shots with very similar numbers. 

Then we moved to the Tensei Blue Raw at 55g.  The numbers were all very similar, but about 100 rpm less spin averaged around 2600.  He saw even more of a penatating flight.  But he was worried we might get too low on some mishits.   He tried lowering the weight in the sole, to lighten it up.  But spin started creeping back up. 

We went back to the KK but in 55 g.  He said my swing speed had been holding up and now that we were about 20 swings in.  So he wanted to see how i handled this weight. 

He asked how it felt. it felt ok to me, but in all honesty it felt like a bit more work than the 50g.  He nodded his head in delight.  Ha 

He said thats exactly what he wanted to hear.  Because you need to think about the holes late in the round, you’re not as fresh as the 1st hole.  And the last club you want to start struggling with is the driver. 

So it was back to the KK 50g R and he said, here lets hit some real balls with it, and he started handing me Prov’s—we had been using TM range balls.  So I hit 7 or 8 with those and the numbers were even better ball speed, spin and carry.  

So data wise i ended up with these averages. 
84 mph SS

121 ball speed

13.6 launch

2675 spin 

196 carry 

219 total 

The setup I’ll be testing

TSi2 10.0 set to B2 .75 upright 

Kuro Kage Black 50g regular 

std length 

Not internet worthy numbers🥺 But that is about 15 to 17 more total yards than i see on my course using the SX500 GPS   

When the drivers arrive from Titleist on Nov 12   Ill be sure snd get some rapsodo and trackman numbers as well as real on course results  

Oh and and a little treat for our lefty friends here.  Most of these still had the wrapper on them 😜😜

EE90F4F9-C50F-452D-8F74-DFB7AA0F3C2E.jpeg

And heres Jeff about to get another happy Titleist customer dialed in. 
417C67A9-6855-4298-B40B-E3F2AF42F974.jpeg

Did he bring up length?  Did you remember to ask?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

Did he bring up length?  Did you remember to ask?

I did ask. He felt i was making solid enough contact to not go shorter, but didn’t want to risk losing the accuracy i have by going any longer. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Just now, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I did ask. He felt i was making solid enough contact to not go shorter, but didn’t want to risk losing the accuracy i have by going any longer. 

What length are you using?