2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

Our Sponsors

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Golfspy_CG2 and the fine folks at Titleist have set me up to get fitted here tomorrow...I am officially the luckiest SOB on this site! MUCH more to come very soon...

Titleist TSi3 – Official MGS Forum Review by TSauer Intro Good afternoon, hope y’all are staying safe and having a great holiday season! Let me kick this off by introducing myself, I a

I am not going to lie people, this post has taken me a long time to write and post.  This is not a bad thing, I simply could not find the words to describe what happened this afternoon at 3 pm central

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Uh Oh!!  It has started.  You know that time when your shopping, have bought or are lucky enough to be testing a new club, and the current said club finds out about it, and becomes more stubborn than a 2 year old!

Yep, that's what happened today, in a scramble I played in.  I have been driving the ball very well the past 3 weeks or so.  Then today, getting to play from the gold tees due to my age, I had a 30 to 60 yard gain  on some holes, and only took advantage of it once.  Driver was just so so.    My white hitting tee teammates weren't impressed..LOL

Luckily they all had an exceptional day driving, and pretty much everything else, as we tied for 1st but lost on the tie breaker, we birdied the No. 2 handicap hole and the other team eagled it (a par 5)

So the TSi 2 can't get here soon enough!

That's funny, I had the opposite experience.  With the Honma TR20 on the way my Epic suddenly put up a fight to stay in the bag.  A losing fight, mind you, but a fight nonetheless.

Funny how once you have a new shiny object coming, somehow the old one is less shiny and no longer "fits the eye" huh?  Ha ha...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Uh Oh!!  It has started.  You know that time when your shopping, have bought or are lucky enough to be testing a new club, and the current said club finds out about it, and becomes more stubborn than a 2 year old!

Yep, that's what happened today, in a scramble I played in.  I have been driving the ball very well the past 3 weeks or so.  Then today, getting to play from the gold tees due to my age, I had a 30 to 60 yard gain  on some holes, and only took advantage of it once.  Driver was just so so.    My white hitting tee teammates weren't impressed..LOL

Luckily they all had an exceptional day driving, and pretty much everything else, as we tied for 1st but lost on the tie breaker, we birdied the No. 2 handicap hole and the other team eagled it (a par 5)

My driver is always mad at me, but I feel your pain. 😂

• Like 6

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I've got a round coming up on Sunday and have tweaked my Epic to more closely match how I was fitted with the TSi. I hope it feels the pressure and at least decides to put up a light protest!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* w/ Graphite Design AD IX 7X

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Utility: :taylormade-small: GAPR LO 19* w/Tensei White 90

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I am sort of freaking out trying to find a playable combo with my SIM Max for the next few weeks until the TSi 2 comes. Went into the bag of shafts in the garage this morning, found an unplayed Hzrdus Red. Tipped it an inch and threw on a TM adaptor. Lets see if this can hold me over until the TSi comes.

• Like 4

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

Your age, still a youngster!
It’s amazing when you get to “that age” or skill level to move up a notch. Makes life easier for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Well I suppose most of you know about my role here, if you don't then that means I'm like a good referee, I do my job and you don't notice me. 

But in short for the new members: My name is Rob/Robert either one is fine.  I have been on MGS for 4 years now, and am my third year of serving in an administrator role, one year as a moderator and the past 18 months as Forum Director along with Golfspy_Studque.   My full time job is the Tournament Director of a golf course in Maryland.   

I get the opportunity to try and or buy a lot of equipment, and I take full advantage of it. Matter of fact during my fitting video with IAN on TXG, we joked about that.  I was afraid he was going to give me hell, but he thought it was great.  

While I will play just about anything that has a grip and head on it, it's not secret that my "home brand" if you will is Titleist.  But PING, Mizuno, TM, Callaway, Srixon, Wilson, PXG  and Cobra have all had a spot in the bag at some point or another.    So needless to say, I'm thrilled to be part of this testing.

I'm not the longest hitter, maybe 210 off the tee, and my handicap has moved as often as my bag setup has.  As high as 22 at the beginning of 2018 to a low of 15.9 at the end of last year.  This year, due to COVID and a course that is so damn busy I can't even get a tee time as an employee, I haven't played as much and didn't register an official index this year....I know shame on me.   I'll change that in 2021 as I hope to play a few tournaments, that I didn't this year.

What I hope to accomplish in this testing:

As I enter my 6th decade, I believe I'm the second most "experienced" golfer in this testing, in which I gladly bow to our esteemed RickP on that honor.  I don't expect to magically find 30 more yards with this driver.  But here is what I'm really hoping for.  I'm taking a pretty solid driver in my TS1 into the fitting.  I have had it since it's release last June when it unseated the stalwart PING G410+ , and while others...MAVRIK Sub Zero, Cobra SZ Extreme have had some time in the bag, the TS1 has been the one nothing could beat.  Not so much in distance, as I'm pretty sure you can put any driver in my hand and it's going to go 190 on the short end and 225 on the long end and no more.  But it has been the most consistent.  During my last 72 holes, I hit an amazing 49/56 fairways.    Now all the raving about the TS1 said, I know I am generating too much spin with it.   Often times, the ball leaves the clubface like it's going to go a mile--or at least 250 yards, and it settles softly into the 190 to 210 territory.   I have some idea, but not concrete proof, that I am getting way too much spin off this head/shaft combo.   

So I'm anxious to see what the guys at Titleist Thursday--tomorrow afternoon-can do to put a better combo in my hands. 

The 190-210 is where I’m at right now also. A little more sure would be nice.

• Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Just don't do what I would do (buy a bunch of extra shafts from ebay that i think would fit)

Me too...

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

1 hour ago, Rickp said:

I did get my Titleist TSi2 specs, this driver, could be my favorite ever. I may have said that B4 but this time I mean it.
I’m not going to discuss too much about the fitting right now as there was a glitch, not a Titleist problem but probably my judgement on fitter. I’ll hash this out in the review.
We selected TSi2 11*, Kuro Kage Black DC 5G SFW
55gram
A Flex.
STD lie
Golf Pride CCM plus 4 STD

My swing speed was a shock, went from 88-90 to 83-84 in a 1.5 years.
Launch angle 12.5*

The fitter though that the Tensi Blue AFlex 55 gr might be better but finally we went w the Kuro Kage.
I’ll be throwing more info in next day or 2 but wanted to get this out there.
I did bring my Cobra F8 w me and the TSI2 was 5 yards longer, pretty good start for an Ole Guy.

Yep same thing with the Tensei as well for me.  But in the end, this one felt a bit better 

• Like 4

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Yep same thing with the Tensei as well for me.  But in the end, this one felt a bit better 

You got a bit more carry than I did w Kuro Kage.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

One thing I forgot to mention. When feasible, I will start taking lessons again because there are some things that I need to improve with my swing. I also want to work on increasing my swing speed as well. My fitter, who also is an instructor, said that the combo I got (TSi 2 with the GD XC-6 Stiff) will still be a great combo after I make swing improvements. He said he wanted to be sure the combo was something that would work well after swing changes.

• Like 3

Updated 12/27/2020

16 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

One thing I forgot to mention. When feasible, I will start taking lessons again because there are some things that I need to improve with my swing. I also want to work on increasing my swing speed as well. My fitter, who also is an instructor, said that the combo I got (TSi 2 with the GD XC-6 Stiff) will still be a great combo after I make swing improvements. He said he wanted to be sure the combo was something that would work well after swing changes.

Always a consideration when not on an unlimited budget; we’re all hoping and planning to have a swing that’s better the next day than it was today...the club has to work for an improved action too.

• Like 3

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

22 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Always a consideration when not on an unlimited budget; we’re all hoping and planning to have a swing that’s better the next day than it was today...the club has to work for an improved action too.

For sure. And in my opinion, a club that fits well today will generally work well with an improved swing, unless the club has some extreme bias to it. For example, extreme draw biased club to correct a out to in slice, and then after swing changes, you now swing in to out. I could see how that may cause an issue after the swing change.

But I don't think i would have that type of issue with the TSi 2.

One specific item the fitter called out was I asked if I should loft up to 11 to improve my launch angle and he said no, because that is something likely that I will improve on with lessons, since my swing was so negative AOA.

• Like 4

Updated 12/27/2020

Now we wait. This is the hard part.

• Like 5

Updated 12/27/2020

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Now we wait. This is the hard part.

LOL!! We see this in every single club test, every single one.   But since I’m in this one with you, i can relate! 

I suggest putting away your calandar, turning the date off your watch snd don’t look at the dateline of any posts.  It’ll just make the weight longer. 

• Like 7

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

25 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

LOL!! We see this in every single club test, every single one.   But since I’m in this one with you, i can relate! 

I suggest putting away your calandar, turning the date off your watch snd don’t look at the dateline of any posts.  It’ll just make the weight longer. 

I will turn my attention to waiting for my iPhone 12 Pro lol.

• Like 3

Updated 12/27/2020

Thank you to all the testers for sharing their fitting experiences, it really adds credibility to the testing that will be performed, and hopefully all the great results you will experience.

It also is great that there is a wide ranging and diverse group that will be reporting out their individual results.

This reading of testing and results will make it that much easier for those of us in locations where shorter golf seasons come into play to endure the next few months and look forward to getting back out on the courses come spring.

• Like 8

Driver & Fairway: Titleist TS3 9.5 & 15 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 - Tensei Blue 70S

Irons: Titleist T100 4 - P Project X 5.0

Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 54, and 60

Putter: Cameron 2012 Select Newport Notchback

Ball: 2013 Model Pro V1X

Have you ever completely lost confidence in your equipment? That is where I am at as of today with my SIM Max. Just couldn't get along with it today. Really need that TSi 2 to come 😄

• Like 8

Updated 12/27/2020

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

Have you ever completely lost confidence in your equipment? That is where I am at as of today with my SIM Max. Just couldn't get along with it today. Really need that TSi 2 to come 😄

You do know, of course, that clubs have personalities.  Your SIM Max knows you are getting a TSi2 and it's jealous.  It's punishing you.  Better get used to it.  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”