2020 Official Member Review: Titleist TSi Drivers

Our Sponsors

So just a fitting update, in case there are any eagle eyes out there that track these sort of things and mention it later  
As we golfers are often prone to do, I started wondering about a couple of the results in my fitting and some things I began to doubt.   Rainy Sundays are never good for letting the mind wonder.
So first thing Monday, I was able to get in touch with one of the guys at 2nd swing, which in my mind offers fittings every bit as good if not better than Club Champion. In any case, I went in to see him and didn't say anything about my previous results, just that I wanted to go through a TSi 2/3 fitting.
So we went through the whole process, I'll spare everyone the boredom of seeing another home movie.  
But the two biggest differences that came out of this fitting, I hit more shafts, not just the featured shafts, but two of the premium shafts as well.  
The good news, is the shaft result was the same as the Titleist Thursday fitting. So I had that bug answered.  I had began to wonder if one of the other shafts would have reduced my spin even more than the KK Black.   They really didn't.  And the lightweight of the KK kept my swing speed up a bit.  
The big differences was we talked about length and club head loft.  After seeing my baseline swings with the TS1, he  immediately went to a 9 degree head versus the 10 degree from the previous fitting. We stayed there and never wandered, it can always be lofted up as we know if I ever feel I need to. 
Then noticing my misses were slightly heel side no matter which shaft we tried, we went shorter in the shaft to 45" from the stock 45.5".   My impact was more centered with those, and actually my swing path which is always a bit out to in, was reduced to 2* out/in from around 5*, meaning I got some more ball speed, about 2 mph more.  My smash factor--which we all now know should be taken with a grain of salt--went from the 143 to the 146 and even a couple 149/150's.  
So I came away from this one feeling, no doubt in my setup.   Fortunately with the time difference between here and CA, I was able to get it into Titleist in time to make the change. 

Hahaha well glad you were able to scratch that itch. Currently sitting in the worst ice storm in OK history with no power. The TSi has been on my mind constantly...just want to see if I can replicate what happened on that fine day!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero (8.5* HZRDUS Smoke Shaft)

3-wood:  :adams-small:  Tight Lies 2 (15*) 

5-Wood:  :adams-small: Tight Lies 2 (19*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 5-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR or a :srixon-small: Z-Star

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Golfspy_CG2 and the fine folks at Titleist have set me up to get fitted here tomorrow...I am officially the luckiest SOB on this site! MUCH more to come very soon...

I am not going to lie people, this post has taken me a long time to write and post.  This is not a bad thing, I simply could not find the words to describe what happened this afternoon at 3 pm central

Review and results of my fitting on 10/22/2020 Showed up to my Titleist Thursday fitting at the Golf Club at Newcastle about 20 minutes early. Skipped warm-up with irons, so went straight to warm

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, HeathS16 said:

Hahaha well glad you were able to scratch that itch. Currently sitting in the worst ice storm in OK history with no power. The TSi has been on my mind constantly...just want to see if I can replicate what happened on that fine day!

Oh man, that's awfully early for a storm like that and the worst in history none the less.  That just means you're due for an unsual warm up in about two weeks 🙂

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Weather here is unusually cold as well, gonna have to order a heater for the golf cart because idc if they’re calling for snow.. I’m still hitting this thing day 1. If I know Missouri weather though, I’m sure it’ll be sunny and 70 in November.
  • Like 2

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

Brutal that an ice storm is already hitting @HeathS16! Hope that melts quickly...

As usual, no weather issues here, but I'm taking a pre-emptive weekend off from golf this week to spend extra time with the family and ensure I am able to play each weekend for the rest of November (and maybe a bonus Thanksgiving round) with the new boom stick once it arrives (likely) next week.

Planning GIFs | Tenor

• Like 4

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Being a weather forecaster in San diego must be one of the most boring jobs in the world.  I lived there for 8 years (Point Loma and La Jolla) and can still recite the forecast by heart.  "The high tomorrow will be 72 degrees, with a slight off shore breeze.  The coastal marine layer will burn off around 10:00.  Sunset will be at....  Tune in tomorrow for the same report."  

Except for June, of course.  I can't say I miss the June Gloom.  

• Like 3

Weather was unseasonably cold in the Seattle area last week, but back up to normal now. Mid 50s, perfect golf weather 😃

• Like 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Oh man, that's awfully early for a storm like that and the worst in history none the less.  That just means you're due for an unsual warm up in about two weeks 🙂

Luckily we are back into the 60s by the weekend but before then we are in for almost 2 inches of ice 🙂 Find by me, Ill doze by the fire and dream sweet TSi dreams. 

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

Weather here is unusually cold as well, gonna have to order a heater for the golf cart because idc if they’re calling for snow.. I’m still hitting this thing day 1. If I know Missouri weather though, I’m sure it’ll be sunny and 70 in November.

Hope this ice storm stays south of you! 70 sounds super nice. 

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

Brutal that an ice storm is already hitting @HeathS16! Hope that melts quickly...

As usual, no weather issues here, but I'm taking a pre-emptive weekend off from golf this week to spend extra time with the family and ensure I am able to play each weekend for the rest of November (and maybe a bonus Thanksgiving round) with the new boom stick once it arrives (likely) next week.

Planning GIFs | Tenor

That sounds like a good plan. I've just pre-conditioned the wife that I will need plenty of time to get to know the new stick so that will mean more rounds this fall 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hartrick11 said:

Planning GIFs | Tenor

I love your Strategery!!!

I am anxiously waiting to hear some noise on these.... 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I mean just look at it...

7EEC9D09-F613-4004-A747-F037E2222FB3.png

The TSi series looks great in person. At my fitting, i didn't get to mess around and take too much time observing the head and face, there is a Covid rule for the fitting about not touching anywhere except the grip.

• Like 2

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

2 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

Planning GIFs | Tenor

That's a great plan, score the points early to be redeemed when it counts! 

• Like 1

Being a weather forecaster in San diego must be one of the most boring jobs in the world.  I lived there for 8 years (Point Loma and La Jolla) and can still recite the forecast by heart.  "The high tomorrow will be 72 degrees, with a slight off shore breeze.  The coastal marine layer will burn off around 10:00.  Sunset will be at....  Tune in tomorrow for the same report."  

Except for June, of course.  I can't say I miss the June Gloom.  

Orlando #2, hot & humid, that is all.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

Orlando #2, hot & humid, that is all.

With passing thunderstorm likely in the afternoon.  

• Like 1

With passing thunderstorm likely in the afternoon.  

Yup, it is right now, started @ 5:00

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Now i am ready for the review to get started

FFD6DF2F-6B88-45EA-8A9A-A834E4DE69DD.jpeg.ab9924507bde99fa3ec8ca7e1d5a7d7b.jpeg

• Like 6

Updated 10/6/2020

I have 3-4 of those, great hats cold weather. Fortunately have only needed them a few times in last 9 years.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

46 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Look good, play good am I right? 

• Like 4

While we wait, wanted to give some thoughts on the shaft that I was fitted into: Graphite Design AD-XC 6S.

Here is how Graphite Design classifies the profile and launch/spin characteristics:

image.png.6404bcc452658fac5182f7b2e6cab1b3.png
Source: https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-ad-xc-shafts/ 

I don't claim to be a shaft expert, but typically when i think about a low/low shaft, I think of a super stiff, stout shaft. I think the first thing to look at is, what does Graphite Design consider a low/mid launch shaft. If we look at the S3/Cool Clubs data, we can see what "Cool Clubs" defines as a mid-launch shaft. Based on this graph, it seems like the AD XC-6 S is just about as close to a mid-launch shaft as possible.

S3_launch_ADXC.png
Source: https://mygolfspy.com/shaft-review-graphite-design-tour-ad-xc/

Looking at torque, the shaft is what would be considered low torque. Advertised torque is 3.2, but measured torque from multiple sources is around 2.9.

Based on looking at the different elements of the shaft profile, the shaft should be stable but smooth. Based on the fitting, that is how the shaft felt to me, but definitely need to spend more time with it before i fully come to that conclusion. Based on Pluggedingolf's review, they came to a similar conclusion: " it’s very stable.  However, the butt section of the Tour AD XC has a very strong kick."

• Like 1

Updated 10/6/2020

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

While we wait, wanted to give some thoughts on the shaft that I was fitted into: Graphite Design AD-XC 6S.

Here is how Graphite Design classifies the profile and launch/spin characteristics:

image.png.6404bcc452658fac5182f7b2e6cab1b3.png
Source: https://proschoicegolfshafts.com/tour-ad-xc-shafts/ 

I don't claim to be a shaft expert, but typically when i think about a low/low shaft, I think of a super stiff, stout shaft. I think the first thing to look at is, what does Graphite Design consider a low/mid launch shaft. If we look at the S3/Cool Clubs data, we can see what "Cool Clubs" defines as a mid-launch shaft. Based on this graph, it seems like the AD XC-6 S is just about as close to a mid-launch shaft as possible.

S3_launch_ADXC.png
Source: https://mygolfspy.com/shaft-review-graphite-design-tour-ad-xc/

Looking at torque, the shaft is what would be considered low torque. Advertised torque is 3.2, but measured torque from multiple sources is around 2.9.

Based on looking at the different elements of the shaft profile, the shaft should be stable but smooth. Based on the fitting, that is how the shaft felt to me, but definitely need to spend more time with it before i fully come to that conclusion. Based on Pluggedingolf's review, they came to a similar conclusion: " it’s very stable.  However, the butt section of the Tour AD XC has a very strong kick."

This was the shaft I was most intrigued by going into my fitting. I had hit the DI and IZ before, as well as Ventus & Tensei (though not the raw version) & HZRDUS (but not the new RDX version).

I found the kick to be super strong, and as a result the "feel" was awesome, but it didn't translate to results as my left misses came back with a vengence. Two caveats though - this was the last one I tried so fatigue may have been a factor. They also only had the 6x in stock, not the 7x that the fitter would have had me try if he thought that shaft was the one (he thought it was too soft up in the grip section anyway). 

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairway:   :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ Atmos Black 7X 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 19* w/ Tensei White 90  

Irons: :cobra-small: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

1 minute ago, hartrick11 said:

This was the shaft I was most intrigued by going into my fitting. I had hit the DI and IZ before, as well as Ventus & Tensei (though not the raw version) & HZRDUS (but not the new RDX version).

I found the kick to be super strong, and as a result the "feel" was awesome, but it didn't translate to results as my left misses came back with a vengence. Two caveats though - this was the last one I tried so fatigue may have been a factor. They also only had the 6x in stock, not the 7x that the fitter would have had me try if he thought that shaft was the one (he thought it was too soft up in the grip section anyway). 

It may have worked well for me because i have mostly a right miss. the XC-6S combined with TSi 2 definitely kept my right-side miss in control. My good swings resulted in a nice baby fade. My bad swings with the TSi 2 and XC-6S resulted in much better shots than my SIM Max/Ventus Red combo. I could still miss slightly right with the TSi 2/XC-6S, but not off the planet right.

• Like 3

Updated 10/6/2020