Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Putter Weight

BMart519

Yesterday I stumbled across the Taylormade FCG putter and was surprised I never heard of it or saw much on anything about reviews on most forums. The specs caught my eye since I do better with lighter putters and prefer a mid-mallet shape, as these are some of the lightest head weights I remember over the past decade (329g in the 35" length). I know this putter is supposed to "simulate" a blade but I don't remember seeing many stock anser's putters coming out at 335g recently, let alone below that. 

I am interested to see if a new trend in upcoming product cycles is to begin making putters lighter again because I am not a fan of heads getting to 360g and above which really limits your mallet choices these days. 

It got me thinking... If you were trying to be precise with a hammer, you would use the lightest hammer that could still drive the nail effectively because it is easier to control than a sledgehammer. I wonder what proportion of golfers are actually able to better control these putters with 370g+ heads and 100g in the grip versus lighter weights in the past. I know it helps some, but is it actually good for the majority? 

I really need to get an Exputt and test this stuff or go for another putter fitting... Only owning 2 putters is driving me nuts 🤣

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

51 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

Yesterday I stumbled across the Taylormade FCG putter and was surprised I never heard of it or saw much on anything about reviews on most forums. The specs caught my eye since I do better with lighter putters and prefer a mid-mallet shape, as these are some of the lightest head weights I remember over the past decade (329g in the 35" length). I know this putter is supposed to "simulate" a blade but I don't remember seeing many stock anser's putters coming out at 335g recently, let alone below that. 

I am interested to see if a new trend in upcoming product cycles is to begin making putters lighter again because I am not a fan of heads getting to 360g and above which really limits your mallet choices these days. 

It got me thinking... If you were trying to be precise with a hammer, you would use the lightest hammer that could still drive the nail effectively because it is easier to control than a sledgehammer. I wonder what proportion of golfers are actually able to better control these putters with 370g+ heads and 100g in the grip versus lighter weights in the past. I know it helps some, but is it actually good for the majority? 

I really need to get an Exputt and test this stuff or go for another putter fitting... Only owning 2 putters is driving me nuts 🤣

To date I base desired putter head weight on type putter/grass I am using it for. Probably not the best answer for your questions but if I may I will share some of my madness. I believe in good quality putter fitting (i.e. SAM) provided the putter also feels right. I have argued with instructors and while I agree with most of my putting stats I receive from a fitting I still have to have a "certain feel" with the putter and putter club head weight is a huge contributing factor for me. 

For blade/very small mallet type putters I prefer light head weight and normal/smallish pistol type grip (think Ping Blackout grip/Danny Edwards Royal Pebble Grain styles). I historically have strong arc stroke and a light club head weight Anser style putter (~< 345 grams) is my gammer of choice with a 8802/Macgregor Ironmaster being a slight alternative. Again those are light club head putters and I use them on faster/hard breaking bent grass type greens. 

In recent years I have began to use larger mallet/heavier putter head/MOI style putters with +370 grams and Tour Lock back weights (~75-100 grams). Think high MOI Bobby Grace mallet and/or Odyssey TT 10 style putters with larger grips and a modified  shorter/less arcing putting stroke. I actually prefer this for the slower bermuda and/or shaggy winter over seeded greens that don't break as much and are slower. 

Appreciate the response, I’ve had an evaluation of my gamer on SAM but not a full fitting. My only fitting was mostly visual with some help of the iPing app. I’ve rotated through 7 putters the past 2 seasons and the visual fitting yielded one of the worst performers on course. So I’ve mostly resorted to trial and error. I believe Calgary just got a new fitter with quintic, so I may give them a shot. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

I have been reading the latest information my putting coach sent me and weight definitely has an influence. His general assessment is that it is based on a lot of variables but in general today’s heavy heads are impacting the stroke quality in a bad way.

Couple of ways to approach head weight, as discussed above and shown by David Edel in his videos change the head weight based on green speed and use the same stroke length for a given distance

I follow the consistent headweight and change the stroke length for a given distance.

In addition to headweight total weight should be considered as well. The head, shaft, grip, and other weighting contribute to the total weight of the putter. Setting those up correctly is important as well.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have been reading the latest information my putting coach sent me and weight definitely has an influence. His general assessment is that it is based on a lot of variables but in general today’s heavy heads are impacting the stroke quality in a bad way.

Couple of ways to approach head weight, as discussed above and shown by David Edel in his videos change the head weight based on green speed and use the same stroke length for a given distance

I follow the consistent headweight and change the stroke length for a given distance.

In addition to headweight total weight should be considered as well. The head, shaft, grip, and other weighting contribute to the total weight of the putter. Setting those up correctly is important as well.

I agree with all of this. I like Edel's fitting approach to aim but I don't see how changing putter weights by stimp is better than hitting long lags on the practice green to calibrate your distance. I just watched an Edel video about grip last night based on collaboration with Mike Adams on "fold patterns" of the arms on the backswing depending on your physical characteristics and ranges of motion. Some of it seems to support my pull miss, so I am messing around with claw grip a bit indoors this winter to reduce the rotation in my dominant right hand. 

Through my trials, I had a Golf Pride TOUR SNSR 140cc installed on an Odyssey EXO 7S with a 360g head. The 100g+ grip with that head made the club feel like a sledge hammer. I prefer oversize grips, so I have to stick to SuperStroke to keep the weight down and am experimenting with a FLATSO vs their traditional profile. I tried an armlock putter for a week and re-sold it. The weight from the 410g and longer shaft was a problem along with the technique. I am trying to find a mallet with a 335g head to see if it does better than my 345g with an insert that is too soft and almost bought a used Scotty Cameron KOMBI.

We now have a fitter in town with Quintic and I booked a separate putting lesson that uses CAPTO for data collection on stroke mechanics. Hoping to get some feedback on ideal putter specs and get confirmation if varying delivered loft is contributing to my distance control problems on long putts or its simply tempo. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

I agree with all of this. I like Edel's fitting approach to aim but I don't see how changing putter weights by stimp is better than hitting long lags on the practice green to calibrate your distance. I just watched an Edel video about grip last night based on collaboration with Mike Adams on "fold patterns" of the arms on the backswing depending on your physical characteristics and ranges of motion. Some of it seems to support my pull miss, so I am messing around with claw grip a bit indoors this winter to reduce the rotation in my dominant right hand. 
Through my trials, I had a Golf Pride TOUR SNSR 140cc installed on an Odyssey EXO 7S with a 360g head. The 100g+ grip with that head made the club feel like a sledge hammer. I prefer oversize grips, so I have to stick to SuperStroke to keep the weight down and am experimenting with a FLATSO vs their traditional profile. I tried an armlock putter for a week and re-sold it. The weight from the 410g and longer shaft was a problem along with the technique. I am trying to find a mallet with a 335g head to see if it does better than my 345g with an insert that is too soft and almost bought a used Scotty Cameron KOMBI.
We now have a fitter in town with Quintic and I booked a separate putting lesson that uses CAPTO for data collection on stroke mechanics. Hoping to get some feedback on ideal putter specs and get confirmation if varying delivered loft is contributing to my distance control problems on long putts or its simply tempo. 

Please write something up on the Quintic and Capto stuff!

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Maybe this is a naive question, but does swing weight come in to play at all?  I play putters that are all less than 33", and everything feels lighter than it did before I cut them down. 

I've experimented with different size grips, but haven't ever really paid attention to the weight of the grip.  My current favorite grip is the Golf Pride Snsr, 104 CC red one.  I chose it because it feels nice and soft, and fits my hands.

I recall years ago, all the scotty cameron putters that had changeable weights, came with different weights, based on the length of the putter.  The 33" had two 20g weights, the 34" had two 15g, and 35" had two 10g weights. 

I have recently gone back to a putter that has similar options.  the Ping Vault 2 had changeable weights.  Have a B60, and am looking for some weights so I can play with it a bit.

I've also experimented with the SuperStroke grips with the weights.  I can't decide if it makes a difference or not.

So to answer the question:  I would not use the lightest hammer, or the heaviest.  The lightest would require to much swing to get it moving with enough force.  The heaviest would be uncontrollable.  I would go toward the lighter side, but somewhere in the middle. 

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

Maybe this is a naive question, but does swing weight come in to play at all?  I play putters that are all less than 33", and everything feels lighter than it did before I cut them down. 

People respond differently to SW, some people feel it, some don’t, and some swear you have to fix it if you cut a club down because that is what they read.

Been reading some of the latest information from my putting instructor and he addresses total weight and not swing weight. Part of the weight discussion also centers around how you swing the putter...do you feel your hands or the putter head.

Tons of ideas and thoughts, but it all comes down to finding a putter that you can best control speed and start direction.

On 10/21/2020 at 1:04 PM, BMart519 said:

It all depends on the person swinging the hammer... and what they are doing with it.  There is a Goldilocks hammer for each job you are doing.  I wouldn't want to use a sledgehammer to drive a nail, but I wouldn't want a framer's hammer to drive a railroad spike either.  Same with putting.

I have never liked the feel of any putter less than 370g.  I couldn't control the backswing which means I can't be precise at impact.  I was a horrible putter until I found a Heavy Putter which weighed 900g; smooth out my backstroke.  This putter was great for short putts, but difficult to find the range on longe putts.  I eventually found that I could have the same swing with my Ping putter with a 400g head and a counterweight that I was fitted for by Ping HQ, and also improve my long distance control.  BTW, I don't recommend using a sledgehammer as a putter.; we had to use one on one hole for our putts in a scramble and I couldn't putt the rest of the round with my putter!!  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

My CAPTO lesson is booked for Saturday. I am bringing a 34" (355g) and 35" (345g), both Taylormade mid-mallet putters with near identical heads. I can remove the weights from the 34" to bring it down to 345g. They each have SuperStroke 3.0 grips, one is the original profile and the other a Flatso. I'm interested to see what these differences will have on delivery of the putter. I'll post the results in a new thread as well as opinions on the CAPTO system. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

People respond differently to SW, some people feel it, some don’t, and some swear you have to fix it if you cut a club down because that is what they read.

Been reading some of the latest information from my putting instructor and he addresses total weight and not swing weight. Part of the weight discussion also centers around how you swing the putter...do you feel your hands or the putter head.

Tons of ideas and thoughts, but it all comes down to finding a putter that you can best control speed and start direction.

What kinds of things does your instructor say about total weight? Does one side tend to yield certain effects?  Sounds like a MGS opportunity for a lab test here. 

I totally agree with your last line.  

A good Golfer is someone who loves the game and all that comes with it.  A good Player is someone who can score.

Not all players are good golfers.  Be a good Golfer.

• Driver - Taylormade TSi 3
  • 3W - Titlest 917 F
  • 3H - Taylormade Sim2 19.5
  • 4H - Taylormade Sim2 22.5
  • 5-P - In Transition
  • 50/54/58 - Titlest SM 8
  • Putter(s) - Ping Vault Voss / Ping Milled Anser / Odyssey Tour Black series #8 / Ping Vault 2 B60 / Scotty Cameraon Newport 2 Button Back  (I HAVE ISSUES WITH PUTTERS!!!!!)

1 hour ago, Stopher said:

What kinds of things does your instructor say about total weight? Does one side tend to yield certain effects?  Sounds like a MGS opportunity for a lab test here. 

I totally agree with your last line.  

Here are some of his blog posts:

https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2020/04/does-your-putter-need-to-go-on-diet.html

https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2020/04/does-your-putter-need-diet-part-2.html

https://bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/2020/04/putter-weight-influence-part-3.html