Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Wood vs Hybrid

LeftyHawk

I'm sure this has been asked, but as I age I'm wondering if hybrids and higher woods would be better than long irons?

My main question would be on launch height.  Does say a 7 wood launch higher than a hybrid or iron for the same distance? I'm not even sure how far a 7 wood would go.

Chris 

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX

4 minutes ago, LeftyHawk said:

I'm sure this has been asked, but as I age I'm wondering if hybrids and higher woods would be better than long irons?

My main question would be on launch height.  Does say a 7 wood launch higher than a hybrid or iron for the same distance? I'm not even sure how far a 7 wood would go.

Chris 

I am pretty sure I am right on this,  fairways launch highest,  the hybrids, then driving irons/irons.   7 wood distance would be based on contact, swing speed, loft, and club length just like every other club. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I am pretty sure I am right on this,  fairways launch highest,  the hybrids, then driving irons/irons.   7 wood distance would be based on contact, swing speed, loft, and club length just like every other club. 

Maybe for some; not for me.  I have a fairly slow swing speed, and my hybrids fly much higher than an equivalent lofted FW.  Since I have a shallow angle of attack, the depth of a FW seems to cause me problems with turf contact, but I'm not the best ball striker.  My 17º 2H flies higher than my 18º 5W, and actually they go about the same distance.  Maybe the 5W rolls out a little further due to trajectory.

I've never tried a 7W because I'm happy with hybrids.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, LeftyHawk said:

Chris 

HI,

Guys at TXG youtube channel posted a couple of videos on this topic. Their finding is that all clubs deliver approximately the same distance for the same loft if you have enough speed. For slower swingers there is more of a gap between an iron and same lofted hybrid and then possibly between hybrid and same lofted fairway wood, mainly because of launch and height. Irons generally fly lower hence do not produce the same carry numbers. There are also other factors involved such as steepness of the swing etc. At the end of the day no theory is as good as factual results on the range, golf course or even better in a fitting bay so if possible take a couple of swings and see things for yourself.

In the meanwhile I think it is worth to take a look at TXG videos, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndCQIaWJT94

:ping-small:  G425 MAX, 10,5°, Fujikura Ventus Blue 60S

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 10,5°, Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS, 60S

:taylormade-small: The Original One Mini Driver, 13,5°,  Fujikura Ventus Red 70S

:ping-small: G425 MAX 5 wood, 7 wood, Tensei AV Orange 75R

:srixon-small: Z U65 4, Z565 5-6, Z765 7-8 , Z965 9-PW, Project X 5.5,

:ping-small: Glide 4.0, 52°, Z-115, 58°, Z-115

:EVNROLL: ER5, 34'', Gravity Grip

I think a lot of it may depend on your swing and delivery. I know I launch a 7W much higher and straighter than I do an equivalent lofted hybrid. My 7W is my 190-210 club depending on backswing length and gripping down an extra inch. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I just made the switch from a hybrid to a 7 wood. I hit my woods well so I was not expecting any issues during the transition. I was not consistent enough with the hybrid. I keep my drives in the fairway for the most part so I know I will be hitting the 7 wood off the fairway. This was important in my decision making. Hybrids will hit out of the rough better in my opinion. The smaller profile can get down to the ball better in the rough. So far I only have a few rounds in with the 7 wood but when I used it I was experiencing a higher trajectory than an equivalent hybrid. The 7 wood is my 180/ 190 club. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Counting all the lofts as equal:

• An iron has the shortest shaft, most forward COG, will produce lowest launch and lowest spin, usually heavier shaft and shorter length produces slower club head speed, easiest to hit but most penal on miss-hits
  • A hybrid had a medium shaft length, lower COG then iron, more rearward COG, will produce a higher launch and higher spin than iron, and usually lighter shaft than iron will produce a faster club head speed, larger sweet spot can be more forgiving, and easier to hit out of the rough
  • A wood has the longest shaft of the 3, the lowest and most rearward COG, and will produce the highest and most spin off the 3, additional length and lighter weight also produces the highest speeds, hardest to hit due to extra length for some

This is all in theory as some driving irons are blurring the line between hybrid and iron. Also, some hybrids are doing the same with woods. 

It all comes down to what speed, launch, and spin is optimal for the individual. 

Personally, I go D, 5w, 4h, 4 driving iron with a hybrid shaft, and then 5 iron with steel shaft because it is optimised for my speed. 

I play with some seniors who could use more hybrids and woods in their bag. I play with another senior who plays a 2h through 5h then down to 7i instead of carrying any woods other than driver. 

The foolish thing to do is overlap lofts. For instance, carrying a 3i, 4h, and 7 wood all with the same loft will not be as effective if you are limited to 14 clubs and could use an extra wedge or different club. Pick the one that works best most often for you of the three for that slot in your bag.

Note: I am an amateur only offering my point of view as opinion in my experience as a couch surfing armchair advice giver - I am calling myself out before the MGS police do. 

Screenshot_20201022-084758.png

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

4 hours ago, Buffly said:

Counting all the lofts as equal:

• An iron has the shortest shaft, most forward COG, will produce lowest launch and lowest spin, usually heavier shaft and shorter length produces slower club head speed, easiest to hit but most penal on miss-hits
  • A hybrid had a medium shaft length, lower COG then iron, more rearward COG, will produce a higher launch and higher spin than iron, and usually lighter shaft than iron will produce a faster club head speed, larger sweet spot can be more forgiving, and easier to hit out of the rough
  • A wood has the longest shaft of the 3, the lowest and most rearward COG, and will produce the highest and most spin off the 3, additional length and lighter weight also produces the highest speeds, hardest to hit due to extra length for some

This is all in theory as some driving irons are blurring the line between hybrid and iron. Also, some hybrids are doing the same with woods. 

It all comes down to what speed, launch, and spin is optimal for the individual. 

Personally, I go D, 5w, 4h, 4 driving iron with a hybrid shaft, and then 5 iron with steel shaft because it is optimised for my speed. 

I play with some seniors who could use more hybrids and woods in their bag. I play with another senior who plays a 2h through 5h then down to 7i instead of carrying any woods other than driver. 

The foolish thing to do is overlap lofts. For instance, carrying a 3i, 4h, and 7 wood all with the same loft will not be as effective if you are limited to 14 clubs and could use an extra wedge or different club. Pick the one that works best most often for you of the three for that slot in your bag.

Note: I am an amateur only offering my point of view as opinion in my experience as a couch surfing armchair advice giver - I am calling myself out before the MGS police do. 

Screenshot_20201022-084758.png

Buffy, thanks for your input on this subject,  it confirms pretty much my thinking and is something I will be doing research on this winter and seriously addressing what clubs I carry starting next season. 

Chris 

Far and Sure......

:callaway-small:          GBB Epic  11*             

:callaway-small:               GBB Epic 7W (Heavenwood)

:ping-small::             G410 4 thru GW

:callaway-logo-1:   MD3 54*,60*                                                         

:cleveland-small:         Huntington Beach Soft #4

:bridgestone-small:   Tour B RX