Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

WIll You Be Trying A Belly Putter Now?

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

I've gone back and forth between two putters for years - a 34" TM Rossa Monza and the Bettinardi (Ben Hogan) Big Ben Belly Putter. I have a Bettinardi (Mizuno) BC-1 I'll occasionally add throw into the mix (when the others stop working), and did play half a season with a Yes! Tracey. Looking back, I've had my best rounds with the Belly Putter, and haven't thought about going back to a standard model. Too much can go wrong with a normal putting stroke that simply doesn't happen with a Belly Putter (at least for me), and when things get a bit off, I've found I can get back into rhythm by putting one handed (much more stable than one handed with a regular putter).

I am giving serious thought to a Scotty Cameron Kombi Belly. They're not exactly easy to find on store shelves, so I'm hoping they have one to try at the NY Golf Center when I'm there next week. If I do pull the trigger, my first order of business will be to send it off to Putter Lounge for their new Tuxedo treatment (haven't you heard, Black is the new White).

Maybe we need to start doing some belly putter reviews around here.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I've gone back and forth between two putters for years - a 34" TM Rossa Monza and the Bettinardi (Ben Hogan) Big Ben Belly Putter. I have a Bettinardi (Mizuno) BC-1 I'll occasionally add throw into the mix (when the others stop working), and did play half a season with a Yes! Tracey. Looking back, I've had my best rounds with the Belly Putter, and haven't thought about going back to a standard model. Too much can go wrong with a normal putting stroke that simply doesn't happen with a Belly Putter (at least for me), and when things get a bit off, I've found I can get back into rhythm by putting one handed (much more stable than one handed with a regular putter).

I am giving serious thought to a Scotty Cameron Kombi Belly. They're not exactly easy to find on store shelves, so I'm hoping they have one to try at the NY Golf Center when I'm there next week. If I do pull the trigger, my first order of business will be to send it off to Putter Lounge for their new Tuxedo treatment (haven't you heard, Black is the new White).

Maybe we need to start doing some belly putter reviews around here.

Remember that I have the long Big Ben if you really want to mess up the putting rotation :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

No I will stick with the 34"

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Absolutely not. Already tried them and I couldn't do anything but push it

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

Here's my problem with the belly putter: it would make me feel like a bad putter. I had a big grip on my putter for 1 golf trip, got a million comments/questions about "How do you like that big grip?" which made me feel like a bad putter, and guess what? I putted poorly. Put my standard sized Iomic back on...back to putting well. Putting is so mental and I could never get over the feeling that the belly putter is a crutch.

That said, I am still curious to try an armpit-anchored putter. Just gotta find the right length.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Remember that I have the long Big Ben if you really want to mess up the putting rotation :)

You gotta stop talking about that...it gets me thinking, and I'm better off not thinking.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I really do need to try a belly putter... feel like I can't improve my putting to save my life.

was playing a sloppy round today and had two holes I four putted!!!! (bad round) but really need to improve my putting and wonder if this might be a bigger/better move for me than the big grip I've been sporting...

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my problem with the belly putter: it would make me feel like a bad putter. I had a big grip on my putter for 1 golf trip, got a million comments/questions about "How do you like that big grip?" which made me feel like a bad putter, and guess what? I putted poorly. Put my standard sized Iomic back on...back to putting well. Putting is so mental and I could never get over the feeling that the belly putter is a crutch.

That said, I am still curious to try an armpit-anchored putter. Just gotta find the right length.

Matt I kinda ran into the same thing that you did in regards to the grip when I switched to the broomhandle a few years ago. Lsat week I started practicing with a Bobby Grace belly I built a couple of years ago. I got some questions from some tourist golfers untill another local told them "hell he has been putting with a broomhandle for 2 years and that belly putter is nothing new for him" No more questions. I really dont worry or care what other people think about my equipment or swing I do my own thing. Heck my equipment starts contriversy anyhow with my 30 year old blades,my 6 year old Hogan driver and my 10 year old Cally Steelhead 3 wood. Heck do what you feel confortable with. I have beat quite a few people with my "antique" equipment and I have also been beat.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Well, since I have an old Scotty lying around I tinker with from time to time, I'm building a belly. Could I putt with it? Laughable at best but I'll have one.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Matt I kinda ran into the same thing that you did in regards to the grip when I switched to the broomhandle a few years ago. Lsat week I started practicing with a Bobby Grace belly I built a couple of years ago. I got some questions from some tourist golfers untill another local told them "hell he has been putting with a broomhandle for 2 years and that belly putter is nothing new for him" No more questions. I really dont worry or care what other people think about my equipment or swing I do my own thing. Heck my equipment starts contriversy anyhow with my 30 year old blades,my 6 year old Hogan driver and my 10 year old Cally Steelhead 3 wood. Heck do what you feel confortable with. I have beat quite a few people with my "antique" equipment and I have also been beat.

No question, people should play whatever makes them happy. It wasn't so much the comments from others as the way it made me feel about myself. I was always thinking, "Why did I change? I was a good putter?" And, bottom line, the big grip didn't make anything!

I am thinking hard about a 49" or 50" Ping Sydney, though. Can't shake the idea of a putter anchored in the lead armpit being money. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks...

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Its getting hard to ignore the results on the TV isn't it? I have an STX ProFit 6 that I am considering setting up as a belly putter just to tinker with it. Its too heavy for me as a regular putter, but think it would be very stable and well weighted as a belly or a broomstick.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I'd like to try one out. I've tinkered at our local golf store with both types (anchored to chest & anchored to belly) but none have felt great so far. I might talk to my instructor/fitter and see if he has something worth trying.

Driver: Taylormade R11 9°, Fujikura Blur 60 S-flex

Fairway: Taylormade R11 15.5°, Fujikura Blur 70 S-flex

Fairway: Acer XDS React 18° "Machete", Fujikura Fit-On E-360 R Flex

Irons: Taylormade Burner 2.0, 4-PW, Steel SuperFast 85 R-flex

Wedges: Cleveland CG-14 Black Pearl 52° AW, 56° SW, 60° LW

Putter: Bionik 207 Nano Mallet Belly Putter, 43", Winn 21-inch Red/Black Putter Grip

Putter: Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ, Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Ball: Searching for a Penta TP replacement...

Callaway LR550 Laser Rangefinder

Archived