Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Cold bluing wedges

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with cold bluing my wedges. The pictures on the left were the wedges after being soaked in coke overnight and rubbed with a steel whool. I used birchwood casey's bluing kit to blue my wedges and they turned out amazing! So if anyone was wondering if they could do this themselves, well, you absolutely can ;).

IMG_20201022_160014.jpg

IMG_20201022_160041.jpg

Edited by Chorlz

Looks great, I've done putters before but never wedges.  I'd assume they start showing wear almost immediately.  Have you played with them yet?

Also for anyone looking to follow suit you have to make sure of what type of metal you are starting with.  Aluminum and Stainless need a different type of gun blue (not seen very often in wedges anyway) and if they are chome plated you'd have to strip that first and that's not something you want to take on without some prior knowledge and the proper setup.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I mean, some wedges come factory like that, so the wear is identical to those. I think the cg15 wedges come in a black finish and they do wear overtime. But you can always refinish them after every season. Takes like 45 min to an hour.