Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Adams MB2 Irons

• SPY VIP

These beauties were dropped off earlier this week. The pictures really don't do them justice as the finish is darker, and "oilier" than it looks in the photos. The MB2s are a bit of a throwback; borrowing from the Ben Hogan blade on blade design. And speaking of blades, they are exactly that. The heads are extremely compact, and the topline makes my Miura CB-501s look like PING K15s (well maybe G15s). Not sure how I feel about the brass weight plugs (lower the CG) by otherwise they're beautiful. As Adams often does with shafts and grips, they went the extra mile with stock KBS Tour Black Nickel shafts, and White/Black Golf Pride Decade Multi-Compond grips.

The finish will wear and rust over time.

Haven't hit them will a full swing yet, but just chipping around the house they feel great. Pics are of the 5 iron and PW. Unlike most of what we've seen lately, the sole on the PW is not much wider than the 5.

Let us know what you think.

AEC_0368.jpg

AEC_0369.jpg

AEC_0371.jpg

AEC_0374.jpg

AEC_0375.jpg

AEC_0376.jpg

AEC_0379.jpg

AEC_0380.jpg

AEC_0381.jpg

AEC_0383.jpg

AEC_0385.jpg

AEC_0388.jpg

AEC_0389.jpg

AEC_0392.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I really love these irons, I think they are the best looking club I've EVER seen.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

Looks beautiful! And not so intimidating at address unlike a lot of other blades.

Definitely a thin topline and a compact head. I'm guessing they'll scare some guys off. Of course, I'm also guessing they'll win over guys who thought they couldn't hit blades.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

I really love these irons, I think they are the best looking club I've EVER seen.

I'm not completely sold on the brass plugs, but they definitely look much better in person than I thought they did in pictures. Absolutely stunning at address. The black nickel shaft is a subtle, but very nice little touch.

They do look sharp will have to check them out.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

OH MY GOD. I have to hit that. But then again, maybe not. It might tempt me to take my S56's out.

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

We call the brass weights "Balla weights", around the shop. I would recommend against the Black nickel shafts. As cool as they look, the finish is VERY suspect, and likely to chip and wear VERY quickly....

Other than that, UNBELIEVABLE...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

We call the brass weights "Balla weights", around the shop. I would recommend against the Black nickel shafts. As cool as they look, the finish is VERY suspect, and likely to chip and wear VERY quickly....

Other than that, UNBELIEVABLE...

I do wonder how the finish will look after it's had time to wear and weather, but it's definitely one of the nicest looking clubs we've had in for review (of course it's also one of the few true blades as well). I've heard that the finish on the Black Nickel shafts doesn't hold up very well, but I've never had them in a set of my own clubs so I can't personally say for sure. Wear and tear issues aside, it's an outstanding "stock" offering from Adams.

I've been scoping out the Adams MB1s on ebay for a while now and most of the auction indicate that the nickel shafts have noticeable wear on the finish, so I'd say that it is a definite cosmetic issue.

I do wonder how the finish will look after it's had time to wear and weather, but it's definitely one of the nicest looking clubs we've had in for review (of course it's also one of the few true blades as well). I've heard that the finish on the Black Nickel shafts doesn't hold up very well, but I've never had them in a set of my own clubs so I can't personally say for sure. Wear and tear issues aside, it's an outstanding "stock" offering from Adams.

On another forum a guy left his out for a couple days - let's say I am not fond of the rusty look on the irons. If the finish stayed with the raw look to it I would really think about picking a set up.

They look good to me and I think the lower and slightly elongated COG will make these easier to use than my old 80's vintage Apex, though I can't be sure unless I get myself a set to try out. Being compact blades, I want to see the 3 iron behind a ball. I've never been comfortable with any blade that wasn't at least midsize.

I sure would not want the black shafts.

Shambles

• SPY VIP

They look good to me and I think the lower and slightly elongated COG will make these easier to use than my old 80's vintage Apex, though I can't be sure unless I get myself a set to try out. Being compact blades, I want to see the 3 iron behind a ball. I've never been comfortable with any blade that wasn't at least midsize.

I sure would not want the black shafts.

Shambles

I've attached some additional pics. These are of the 3 iron (side views and address). I've also included a shot of (left to right) the PW, 8 iron, 5 iron, and 3 iron. I would classify everything across the board as compact. For those for whom the long irons are a bit too compact, you could always consider a mixed set. The idea Pro A12 irons. I don't carry a 3 iron anymore, and rarely carry a 4, but that said, I might think about doing 4-6 in the Pro A12s, and 7-PW in the MB2s.

AEC_0506.jpg

AEC_0509.jpg

AEC_0512.jpg

AEC_0515.jpg

AEC_0517.jpg

• SPY VIP

Here's one more showing a comparison of the Mizuno MP-53, Miura CB-501 and Adams Pro MB2 3 irons. I wish I had something closer to a GI iron lying around the house to add to the mix, but even in this example you should be able to see how relatively compact the MB2 actually is.

AEC_0520.jpg

Very cool, I actually like the comparison photo, it gives me a frame of reference to see a club next to clubs I've actually seen and/or hit.

Good idea!

Seems to me that 3 Iron looks a bit larger than a compact ought to be. I suppose a poor swinger like myself will be able to get away with a few shots on that and might even fool himself into thinking he's a real player.

I think I need to find a set to give a close look/see at. It truly attracts me and I'm hoping I don't like it. I already have too many sets.

Shambles

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got a demo 6 iron MB2 from my clubmaker with the new KBS C-taper shaft in S. All I can say is WOW! This club/shaft combo is so sweet and solid, it's unreal. Keep in mind I play the Adams Pro Black MB with KBS Tour shafts in a S+ currently. The MB2 forging feels so much smoother and more solid and is definitely much less harsh than the Pro Black. It's also definitely more forgiving as hits up the face or toward the toe don't lose as much distance. And the look is gorgeous! Just to get an honest opinion, I asked my buddy (A Titleist man from way back) to hit it and give me an impression. He loved it and was absolutely striping it. Now he wants a set! And coupled with the C-taper, I must say, it's pure $$. The C-taper has a distinctly lower flight with a little more carry than the KBS tours. Plus it's a very boring flight. No balloon at all. That was the one complaint I had about the Tours; the tendency to balloon in the wind. I'd say it's about a half club longer, which could be part shaft, and part club. I think it's more shaft, though, in that KBS says that the shaft is about 5% longer or so, which seems about right. I'm in serious club-ho lust. Can't wait to get them in the bag. I was going to wait for the new Titleist 712 CB's but these are the ticket!

• SPY VIP

The response to these irons has been nothing short of amazing. While we had other irons in that guys have performed slightly better with, we're talking about game improvement irons that are guys did marginally better with than these true musclebacks.

I'm personally not a fan of the rust, but from the headshape to the feel, to the performance, the MB2s have been nothing short of impressive.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I heard that you can keep the rust under control with a product called Sentry Solutions Marine Tuf Cloth. Just apply after playing and it'lll keep the rust at bay until the next round. Maybe I'll leave the faces alone, though. I'm gonna bag these babies with the C-tapers and try to keep the rust under control. I just want to underscore that I've hit just everything else out there in terms of players clubs. These are the best of the bunch. Will report back later.

Well I played 18 holes with the new MB2s yesterday and an extended range session today. I have the KBS C-tapers in an S+ in the MB2s, keep in mind. I honestly am so psyched about these clubs, I don't know what to do with myself. The feel is so solid, it's unreal. The sweet spot feels *huge* for a blade. It's like no other blade I've ever hit. Like all blades, a couple grooves too high or low cause some loss of distance, but I found half an inch to the toe or the heel were still very damn solid. The ball flight with the MB2/C-taper combo is, at least for me, ideal. Nice boring flight with great distance. The wind was blowing about 10-15 mph earlier and the ball didn't balloon at all. Keep in mind my old blades with KBS tour S+ shafts had a tendency to balloon a bit in a headwind. I can work these left to right, right to left, hit knockdowns, high fades. Even the 4 iron is sweet! I also love the pitch and gap, with the gap kicking out my Vokey 52 degree out of the bag. I honestly cannot think of a better feeling iron I've ever hit than these. Not Mizuno, not Titleist, not Calloway. I haven't had the pleasure to hit Miuras, though, so I can't comment on that. I do think the brass plugs make for a very solid sensation at impact. I feel like I'm really compressing the ball with these things. Not so buttery soft as older Mizuno's (which I think are a bit too soft), but more like Titleist. And I love the raw look. The club looks perfect behind the ball. Point is that I love these things and you would have to fight me to take these out of my bag any time soon! Well done, Adams and KBS!

Thanks for the write up agray88. I will be looking at them this winter.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Archived