Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

JUST ARRIVED! - Adams 9088 UL Driver

• SPY VIP

The latest driver in the Adams lineup showed up earlier this week. This is the Ultralight 9088 (or 9088 UL if you prefer). I've never been a fan of lightweight drivers before, but I am interested to see what the 9088 is all about for two reasons. First, I'm currently still gaming the 9064 LS we reviewed last year, and haven't found anything to make me give serious thought to replacing it. Secondly, the Adams take on lightweight is a little different from others. With Cleveland and TaylorMade, the consequence of Ultralight has actually been a heavier swing weight. Adams has managed to keep the swing weight low (D0). What the real world impact of that actually is, but it definitely qualifies as a bit of a different approach.

One little detail that Adams has added to their woods recently that I really like is the 2 piece ferrule (manufactured by cell parts). Love the black with white, although I must admit the black with red options looks awesome with the UST ATTAS T2 shaft.

In a somewhat unusual move for Adams, the shaft, Matrix HD 4.1 does appear to be a made for variant. I suspect this was done for the purposes of keeping weight low, while being able to produce a stiff flex shaft (the "real" HD 4 is not available in stiff flex).

AEC_0332.jpg

AEC_0336.jpg

AEC_0339.jpg

AEC_0349.jpg

AEC_0354.jpg

AEC_0356.jpg

AEC_0360.jpg

AEC_0361.jpg

AEC_0363.jpg

AEC_0333.jpg

AEC_0338.jpg

AEC_0342.jpg

AEC_0345.jpg

AEC_0351.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

They look better in person. Almost like a 910D2 except with the notches in the back

"Never criticize anyone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you have their shoes."

Been wanting to try the 9064 for a while but can't seem to kick my Taylomade Superfast 2.0 as it's a BEAST! But I'd be willing to demo this ultra lite 9088 to see what it's all about. Finally put a hybrid in the bag and its a 9031 DF. I love this hybrid, finally found one I like.....

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Not a fan of the notches in the back, but like the overall shape, sole, and look of the club pretty well.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

I've got some serious concerns about an Ultralight driver and my swing (more about the shaft then the head), but what the hell...I'm taking it out for 9 holes tonight (which is probably only 5 or 6 swings - assuming the ball stays in play), but I am curious.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Hit it the other night, and wow, did I hate it. Waaaaayyy too light for me, and waaaaaayyyy too whippy.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

I just hit this at the shop. Thought it had a good feel and sound at impact, but man did the ball go high.

Hit the 9.5° and it looked like my 60°

Did seem to go a long way though, even with the balloon.

Would love to see the spin numbers on this one...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

So I played 9 with the 9088 tonight. I really like the head at least where sound and feel are concerned. It's definitely more muted than the 9064, but still very good. I did hit a big hook OB (that's my miss) on the 2nd hole, but otherwise, my misses were right including a couple of BIG fades (not my ball flight). I don't know if it's the torque on the shaft or what, but realistically going from a 75 gram shaft down to what I think is probably a fairly soft 45 gram doesn't really work for me. It will be interesting to see how it performs for the other guys, and I'm sure when strokes and lost balls aren't on the line I'll swing it a bit more freely and probably produces better results.

It could also be that I've become extremely comfortable with the 9064 LS + ATTAS T2 + Harrison Shotmaker combo, and anything else just doesn't feel right.

Archived