Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Golf Galaxy

JohnBarry

Never knew this, but if you buy a used club, not sure about new, you can return it with in 30 days for full store credit. Not a bad deal to play a few rounds with a used club and make sure it's right for you.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

This used to be really great, until the used policy changed and all of the good used clubs started being shipped to 3balls.com for online sales. The used section was much larger and with better stuff before. Fall 2008 they had a crazy pricing transition time with the used and then after that, very little in my local store. Nice staff, but without the used stuff, I dont' find myself back there that often.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Never knew this, but if you buy a used club, not sure about new, you can return it with in 30 days for full store credit. Not a bad deal to play a few rounds with a used club and make sure it's right for you.

Like a rental car... Interesting. I don't know how anyone buys a club without hitting it outside first. completely mystifying to me.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Golf refund policies are a touchy subject. What is "new"?? how do you really know that the club that is being returned is the EXACT same one that went out the door?? With all of the counterfeits out there, Retailers have to be VERY VERY careful...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Yeah, the used rack at my local GG is just no headcover wearing, drug it behind the cart, topped a few off the crown, beat to hell, but I will still trade it in anyways crap. Oh, and some lefties. :D

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

• SPY VIP

I picked up a nice Black pearl and a Black v1 #2 for $125 each. Great deal and great shape. I have not seen anything close is at least 6 months. In their defense, I have not been there that often this year either.

Volvo Intorqueo

90 days is impressive. If you can't figure out that the club works or not in that time, I don't know...

I'm not sure how up to date that web site is, but some Roger Dunn's stores - in CA, at least - have such "fine print" policies in place that involve a maximum of 3 exchanges, etc. I guess some people in the past had abused the 90 day return privelege as a means to swap out clubs multiple times while effectively only paying one price.

I'm not sure how up to date that web site is, but some Roger Dunn's stores - in CA, at least - have such "fine print" policies in place that involve a maximum of 3 exchanges, etc. I guess some people in the past had abused the 90 day return privelege as a means to swap out clubs multiple times while effectively only paying one price.

and that is why golf club return policies are so touchy.. At my store, we used to have players that would return their golf shoes as "leakers" after 1 year and 11 months, and do it again in 1 year and 11 months. We had a name for it. The "Shoes for Life" program. It has been squelched now.

• SPY VIP

and that is why golf club return policies are so touchy.. At my store, we used to have players that would return their golf shoes as "leakers" after 1 year and 11 months, and do it again in 1 year and 11 months. We had a name for it. The "Shoes for Life" program. It has been squelched now.

:)

I just turned in some Nike leakers. Seam at the edge had opened and water ran. Shop called nike and they covered the return. Only about 18 months in though. Don't the shops get the $$$ side of the return covered by NIke or does it come out of your bottom line?

Volvo Intorqueo

:unsure:

I just turned in some Nike leakers. Seam at the edge had opened and water ran. Shop called nike and they covered the return. Only about 18 months in though. Don't the shops get the $$$ side of the return covered by NIke or does it come out of your bottom line?

We have no problem with helping facilitate a warranty for a company. It does eventually hurt the retailer. Here is how the process works....

A customer buys brand X shoe for $90. The retailer paid 65 + shipping, so they clear approx $20.

Customer returns the shoes as leakers, and gets another pair out of stock for free. Retailer gets no profit from that pair, and only gets the wholesale cost of the original pair from the company, less shipping. Then the retailer has to ship the leakers back to the factory for inspection. So, now the store is just about to start losing money on this customer because the cost of shipping the new shoes in, and the old shoes back has eaten all bet about $5 of the original profit...

imagine if the customer repeated this 4 or 5 times...

Now, Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely ready to help you when your shoes fail because of a defect in the manufacturing, or they did not meet the warranty. I just do not appreciate the abuse of the system. Thats all.

Sorry for the rant.. Leakers can really sour me on a good day.

• SPY VIP

We have no problem with helping facilitate a warranty for a company. It does eventually hurt the retailer. Here is how the process works....

A customer buys brand X shoe for $90. The retailer paid 65 + shipping, so they clear approx $20.

Customer returns the shoes as leakers, and gets another pair out of stock for free. Retailer gets no profit from that pair, and only gets the wholesale cost of the original pair from the company, less shipping. Then the retailer has to ship the leakers back to the factory for inspection. So, now the store is just about to start losing money on this customer because the cost of shipping the new shoes in, and the old shoes back has eaten all bet about $5 of the original profit...

imagine if the customer repeated this 4 or 5 times...

Now, Don't get me wrong. I am absolutely ready to help you when your shoes fail because of a defect in the manufacturing, or they did not meet the warranty. I just do not appreciate the abuse of the system. Thats all.

Sorry for the rant.. Leakers can really sour me on a good day.

From my side of the counter I wondered about the process and the effect on the retailer. Some of my local shops price match other shops, including licensed online stores. Two summers ago GPP had the Tour burner for $179. It was $299 everywhere. Went to Golf Galaxy for matching, they couldn't believe the price, suggested the club was fake, manager went back to his office, came back and said he had called corporate and no they would not match b'c GPP was "on their radar". Implied shady or something.

Other shop said they only match authorized retailers, looked at the TM site and GPP was there. Guy said is was less then their cost, but they would stick to policy. I actually felt bad about the whole situation and told him that I didn't want it if he was losing money. At this point he said I was being too nice and that he would lean on the TM rep for one to replace it at a reduced rate.

How did retailers get compensated for the free club promotion last summer? Similar to the shoes. Price of fairway-shipping.

Volvo Intorqueo

I do admit, that Golf Galaxy's used section is very bare as of late. I do assume the value on used clubs vs new ones, is at an all time high, with the economy the way it is.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I do admit, that Golf Galaxy's used section is very bare as of late. I do assume the value on used clubs vs new ones, is at an all time high, with the economy the way it is.

I thought it was because people are keeping the old clubs for another year, rather than turning them in for credit vs new ones. Supply side of the equation.

Volvo Intorqueo

I think it's a bit of both, a run on used clubs, and not that many being turned in. At least that's what the local GG guys told me. I just go in once a couple of weeks to hit some clubs, keep an eye on the inventory and see what specials pop up.

Side note, last summer, I was picking up new SRIXON Soft Feels for 13.99 a dozen. No idea why they were selling them so low, no one else in the golf market was, but I loaded up, as it was and is, my ball of choice.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

This isn't necessarily on point here, but I'd like to give my local GG (Schaumburg, IL) a nice thumbs up for employing some pretty knowledgeable people. The last 3 times I've been in there I've heard employees giving people solid advice and a couple times they're answered some fairly complex questions for me.

With regard to the return policy, I don't know if that is new, but last fall I had a very negative return experience there. I bought an FT-iq, hit it with tape on it, hated it (don't get me started on Cally squares), and brought it back. They said, "yes, this is still new condition, we'll return it for the lowest price in the last 30 days." They then offered me about $250, IIRC. This was when they were selling everywhere for $400 and they wouldn't tell me when or where it was selling for $250. That was a bit discouraging, but hopefully that's better now.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Ouch...I agree about my local one, the guys are very helpful, know what they are doing, and give good advice.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Ouch...I agree about my local one, the guys are very helpful, know what they are doing, and give good advice.

Outside of the one manager in the story above, who I learned is no longer with them, the staff at GG is great. Their in house lessons pro is a very cool guy with a great energy and perspective on the game.

Volvo Intorqueo

As with all retail stores, it is the staff that makes or breaks a store. I have given up on several big box shops locally because the service I recieved was substandard. Treat the customer right, and they will treat you right.

• SPY VIP

As with all retail stores, it is the staff that makes or breaks a store. I have given up on several big box shops locally because the service I recieved was substandard. Treat the customer right, and they will treat you right.

This is exactly it. I have bought 4 cars from the same dealership because of the sales people and the service department. Got a call from the owner when there was a minor warranty mix-up.

Some of the staff in the local non-big box are fantastic others seem to only want to talk to the +2 index folk. My 40 hcp or whatever it was today means that I will have a far greater rate of club turnover than the +2 who has his bag dialed into his game.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

A lot of places do this. Not sure if I'd ever use it though. I don't think 30 or even 90 days is enough for me to hate a club that I didn't already hate in the store.

See this is really helpful for me because most of the shops here do not have grass ranges or fitting areas. Only the play on the grass will really show how the club works for me.

Funny thing too that I learned about lifetime warranties on clubs. Breaks in the shaft are covered, as long as it is not in the middle of the shaft.

They assume that break was over a knee.

Volvo Intorqueo

See this is really helpful for me because most of the shops here do not have grass ranges or fitting areas. Only the play on the grass will really show how the club works for me.

Funny thing too that I learned about lifetime warranties on clubs. Breaks in the shaft are covered, as long as it is not in the middle of the shaft.

They assume that break was over a knee.

Who else do you know that offers a lifetime warranty besides Tour Edge??

Who else do you know that offers a lifetime warranty besides Tour Edge??

Ping

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

A lot of places do this. Not sure if I'd ever use it though. I don't think 30 or even 90 days is enough for me to hate a club that I didn't already hate in the store.

I'm with Sactown, there are some clubs that I can't demo outside before I buy, so it's nice for that. Also, some clubs turn evil after you buy them. I've owned both Callaway square drivers for a total of about 95 hours. I demoed them both extensively, loved them, bought them, hated them.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I'm with Sactown, there are some clubs that I can't demo outside before I buy, so it's nice for that. Also, some clubs turn evil after you buy them. I've owned both Callaway square drivers for a total of about 95 hours. I demoed them both extensively, loved them, bought them, hated them.

Hmm, that's just never happened to me I guess.

Archived