Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Kids Equipment

Shankster

Morning everyone -

My two youngest boys want to come out on the course with me and hit backwards Phil bombs.. (righties) 

They somehow found the PING website and the ProdiG clubs... not sure where they got that idea from 🤣

Anyways, the smallest dude is only 3’10”, but the shortest PING fits for is 4’4”... do I get him the longer club or look for a different option? 

I’d be the worst dad ever if one of them got some PING’s and the other didnt... 

Help!

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Morning everyone -

My two youngest boys want to come out on the course with me and hit backwards Phil bombs.. (righties) 

They somehow found the PING website and the ProdiG clubs... not sure where they got that idea from 🤣

Anyways, the smallest dude is only 3’10”, but the shortest PING fits for is 4’4”... do I get him the longer club or look for a different option? 

Help!

Cannot recommend US Kids Clubs enough - especially for a kid just getting into golf.  They have lengths for two year olds all the way up to teenagers and you can buy individual clubs at the smaller sizes.  I won't touch another brand for my son until he is almost ready for his first full Junior set.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Morning everyone -

Help!

I ended up going the craiglist route and found a whole set of Top Flight clubs (two woods, two irons, & putter) with bag and some balls for $35. Might try that route unless they have show a strong interest in the game and commitment to play for awhile before dropping Ping $ on a kids set.

If you've already decided on Ping then I would probably get a set for both since it's not like the smaller one won't grow anymore 😂

Edit: Just looked up the price of the Ping ProdiG set 😲...

giphy.gif

Edited by Tarheelvolvo

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

I'll second the US Kids recommendation (that's Kirke's current driver).

But the rest of Kirke's set is from Diamond Tour Golf (same company that does Sub 70): https://www.diamondtour.com/golf-clubs/junior-golf.html

You can get the clubs built or get the components and build them yourself. I'm a big fan of the latter; I love building Kirke's set (more or less each year as he grows) for a very reasonable price, exactly to his current specs.

We've never had any issues with quality from DTG, and they're properly weighted for young players (the single biggest factor to get right in the junior club, in my opinion).

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'll echo US Kids as well, great clubs.

For my son, as he was growing we started with Top Flite and then moved to Cobra. He's now in my old W/S D200s and will most likely be in a new set next year as he's overpowering R flex shafts at this point. 

FB Marketplace and CL are your friends. As far as the height thing, you really want to get a set that works and isn't too large. I made that mistake with my son's first set and he had a lot of trouble with it. Thankfully his PGA Jr pro loaned him a set that fit better for the rest of his season. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Cannot recommend US Kids Clubs enough - especially for a kid just getting into golf.  They have lengths for two year olds all the way up to teenagers and you can buy individual clubs at the smaller sizes.  I won't touch another brand for my son until he is almost ready for his first full Junior set.

I went this route with great results as well.  If you buy directly through the site every sixth club you buy is free.  Tough to beat.  

I went this route with great results as well.  If you buy directly through the site every sixth club you buy is free.  Tough to beat.  

Having done US Kids for my 3 kids I have a differing opinion. The free club is a set credit amount and if you buy the Tour series clubs you get a credit that covers about a third of the cost of the clubs. Did that and my son played a full set of tour series for a few years. Also cracked his Tour series driver hitting a tee ball in a comp (2nd month he owned it) and US Kids told me it was “outside” of the normal warranty. My older is now into adult clubs and my younger two play Callaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

On 10/23/2020 at 2:13 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Having done US Kids for my 3 kids I have a differing opinion. The free club is a set credit amount and if you buy the Tour series clubs you get a credit that covers about a third of the cost of the clubs. Did that and my son played a full set of tour series for a few years. Also cracked his Tour series driver hitting a tee ball in a comp (2nd month he owned it) and US Kids told me it was “outside” of the normal warranty. My older is now into adult clubs and my younger two play Callaway.

So the clubs were good for a few years before one cracked?  I know in researching and asking around, US kids has improved the product quality over the recent years.

So the clubs were good for a few years before one cracked?  I know in researching and asking around, US kids has improved the product quality over the recent years.

Not years....weeks. My son had the driver for less than a month and cracked the face. And it was not out of abuse it was just hitting balls normally.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

On 10/26/2020 at 1:32 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Not years....weeks. My son had the driver for less than a month and cracked the face. And it was not out of abuse it was just hitting balls normally.

I hear these horror stories and I'm curious how the conversation played out.  It may be because I've been in the wine and spirits sales industry since for nearly 20 years, but I feel like saying the right things at the right time gets a different result.  How was two months with proper use deemed out of warranty? 

Shanks!

Looks like I'm a little late to this party, and it looks like you got a great set from a great member here!

I'm going through the same thing with my daughter Kaylen (8). So as much as I thought I knew about equipment.. and golf, I was schooled pretty humbly by my daughter's instructor yesterday.

At the beginning of the year I bought her a set probably better suited for a 14 year old. My theory was to by clubs quite a bit longer so she could A. Choke way down, have the butt of the club come right up to her belly button and help with torso rotation. And B. Something that she could grow into so I'm not buying new clubs every year.

What I found out was that the clubs made by U.S. Kids and some others are made to scale for different sizes and heights of kids. They're not just shortened versions of clubs but shafts, grips, and heads are all made to the weights that a little one can handle with no issue. The clubs that I originally bought her were just way thicker and heavier and really just too much for her. The coach mentioned that over time, the kids will build unnecessary compensations with much heavier clubs, can get fatigued quicker AND can create possible short and long term injuries.

So after her first lesson yesterday, I immediately came home and am also looking for a better suited set.

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

• 3 weeks later...

My boys being 7 and 5, Grant and Clark respectively, US Kids are working out great...Grant outgrows the set, but then it's the perfect size for Clark, and so on.  I was a little worried Clark would feel like he's getting hand-me-downs, but so far he doesn't seem to care.  And US Kids are definitely ideal for this age; I talked to several junior coaches and First Tee guys and they swear by them.

And yes, every year when Christmas approaches Clark get's inundated with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation references, mostly by me.  "You serious Clark?"  "That's a honey of a tree Clark," etc...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1: