TESTERS WANTED! ×

Steelfiber vs. Recoil

fixyurdivot

Composite Shafts  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these are you playing?

• Steelfiber
    • Recoil
  2. 2. What primarily drove your decision?

• Fitting/performance data
    • Price
    • Research
  3. 3. Has your move to composite shafts helped joint fatigue/pain?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. What age group are you in?

• 20-30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 71+

It seems these are the two most dominant, best performing composite shafts on the market.  I've just started playing with Recoil 95 F4's, albeit as part of an exploratory test using P-CB irons which may or may not be ideal in assessing performance. For those of you who have spent time researching composite shafts and/or playing them, what are your opinions about these two mfg.'s and their portfolio of products?  

I'm going to let the fitting data drive my decision, but am leaning towards composite shafts if that is an option... for sure if there is "truth" to the happier joints claim. And, we all know where the "truth" can be found regarding all things golf 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

... I don't think there is any doubt that graphite reducers vibration and that effects our joints. Elbow tendonitis was the cause of my switching to graphite* but performance and feel was the reason I never went back to steel. I hope I don't skew your poll as I am playing Steelfiber 95's in my T100-S at the moment. But I have a set of Recoil Prototype 95's on standby for my next set so I wish I could check both. 

... I originally tried to play Steelfiber 95's in s-flex which played like x-flex for me and I sold them after 2 rounds. After talking with the Engineers at Aerotech, I went to r-flex and the results were much better. I would compare the Steelfiber i95's in r-flex to Recoil 95 F4 (s-flex). That said, I find the feel quite different. The Recoils have an obvious dampened feel that is nothing like steel while the Steelfibers have a feel somewhere between steel and graphite but closer to steel imo. This is one of the reasons they are so successful on all the tours where they grew up playing steel and after hitting thousands/millions of shots they made the switch. Steelfibers are very popular on the LPGA Tour which more closely resembles most of our golf swings. Ymmv. I think they are the perfect shaft for someone that prefers steel (or thinks they prefer steel) but want the advantages of graphite. If you like the dampened feel of graphite the Recoils are hard to beat. Great performance and a soft feel that is very non steel. For me at least performance is virtually identical between Steelfiber and Recoil Prototypes with feel being the difference while regular Recoil 95s are a little easier to load and unload but still very accurate. 

... Fwiw, while I have played 110's in both, but I have no experience with lighter weight Recoil or Steelfiber shafts. 

* I tried several steel dampening inserts including Sensicore, Pro Soft and a few home made inserts but none of them had any effect on my tendonitis. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I'm in the "about to" camp, so posting instead of voting.  I have a set of Recoil Proto 125 F4 to be installed in my MP37s.  I also have a Steelfiber 125 in a 53* wedge, have played several rounds with it.  Aside from that, have tested Recoil 125 F5 (retail version) in a test iron.

If we're talking retail Recoil, I'd probably have to go with the Steelfiber, I found the Recoil to hit the ball a little higher than I'd cared for at the time; the SteelFiber seems very DG-like to me.  Since I like DG, it's a nice transition. 

The Protos, no experience yet.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

I have Steelfiber in wedges, and Recoil in hybrids. They feel very different, but I don't know if the Recoil hybrids are similar to the iron shafts. The steelfiber are very similar to steel, and as Chisag stated, are at least a full flex stiffer. The Recoils are probably a little softer than the stated flex, and much "smoother". If pain relief is your primary goal, the Recoil would be my recommendation. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

This is definitely something I am going to be strongly looking into before I get my next set of irons. Obviously testing is paramount but it definitely sounds like the Steelfibers would fit what I'm looking for better

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

For whatever it's worth....

Steelfiber 95 stiff profiles very close to DGS.  The 110 and 125 are similar, but with a slightly stiffer bottom section.  I'm guessing this is the origin of the comments of them playing stiffer than flex.

IMHO obviously  🙂

I've felt the retail Recoil is closer to KBS Tour, but admit that's a vague feeling borne of too little experience.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for Recoils just because I couldn't vote for both. Honestly, I have sets with Aldila RIP Tours, Recoil Protos, Steelfibers & Fujikura Tours. My favorite is the RIP Tour, but since it was discontinued, I guard them with intense care. The Recoil Protos are my second choice and I haven't gotten to use the Fujis yet. I use graphite in everything except my wedges and would never even consider going back to steel. The shafts I've listed have as tight or tighter specs than any steel shaft. BUT.... the FEEL is different. THAT is why you don't see widespread use on the Tour. When a golfer is faced with changing to graphite or not playing, that is when they decide they have to get used to the feel. It only took me a few months to get used to it and I never looked back.

BT

I have 3 sets of Recoils 660/460/460ES, all F3 Regular. I really don’t think I’ll be in anything other than a Recoil. They are in my Hogan Ptx Irons, Cobra F8’s and Wilson D-7’s.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I’m a steelfiber guy in my current set of 0311 Gen 1. I have loved them.  They have really helped my tendinitis.  I just ordered some 921F with recoils.  They beat out my Steelfibers in the fitting.  Looking forward to them.  

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

Steelfibers were not an option in the Wilson D7 Forged testing, so I didn't even consider them.  I wasn't set on graphite shafts; the Recoil 110 F4s were the best of the no-upcharge shafts that we had available to us.  I'm hitting them much higher than any of the other no-upcharge shafts.

They are much easier on the joints than my old NM 105s (which I liked very much).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My SteelFiber 95 S arrived tonight. I plan to install them in the morning in 919 Hot Metal Pros and make a few tentative swings on Wednesday during breaks in watching the Masters. I have knee surgery soon so I’m not getting to really swing them more than 75% and only on the range. I can’t walk on uneven ground but it’s minor (as minor as knee surgeries go) and should be back on the course in a few weeks. However, 72° in November and no golf has caused me to put the Suicide Prevention Hot Line on speed dial.

I tried some Recoils 460’s that I would be able to compare the ball flights had I ever hit a ball with them. All I really proved with those was that you really have to swing fast if you are taking 3-4” of turf first. Those were too light but we will see.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Comment from an old fart, age 75. Have recoil shafts in a couple woods but have upgraded to UST Helium in my current driver and 3 wood which perform even better. Playing Ping G700s in my irons with Ping Alta sr flex shafts. Still get good distance with all and easy on the joints. Avg 230 with the driver and 150 with 6 iron. Exercise program also helps.

Retired Army aviator. 2 Vietnam tours flying Hueys.

I have 3 sets of Recoils 660/460/460ES, all F3 Regular. I really don’t think I’ll be in anything other than a Recoil. They are in my Hogan Ptx Irons, Cobra F8’s and Wilson D-7’s.

I’m definitely a recent convert to Recoils. Irons are 760ES F2 which is fine for my 74 year old swing. Last irons were 460ES F3 and still hit them fine just not as high.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

... I haver to admit I am surprised by the Steelfiber 95 r-flex shafts in my T100-S irons. I am a long time Recoil player and absolutely love the Recoil Prototype shafts. I am glad I am a Shaft Ho and didn't give up on Steelfibers after playing 95 s-flex shafts and finding them too stout and could not sell them fast enough. I think the stiffness masked the feel. The 95 r-flex feels much better because I can feel them load and unload, something I did not feel with the Steelfiber s-flex. For me at least, the Recoils have a very dampened feel and the Steelfiber 95's feel like nothing, similar to hitting the dead center of an iron. 

... To be fair, I could play Recoil Prototypes and have almost identical performance as my Steelfibers but the combination of T100-S/Steelfibers is just working really well. I am hoping to get my hands on some Cobra King Tour MIM irons and shaft them with my Recoil Prototypes which should be a really good applies to apples comparison. I do believe that if you get properly fit, because I think it is more difficult on your own with Steelfibers, both Recoil and Steelfibers are just awesome iron shafts and you can't go wrong with either shaft and in the end I think it usually comes down to a personal preference.  

I installed the SteelFiber I95 S in my JPX 919 Hot Metal Pros yesterday. Made a few swings with them today. I’m having knee surgery the first of next week so all I have done is some slow motion chips and pitches with no ball. Just to get a feel for the club. I love them, but no ball flight data yet.
So while this is supposed to be about Recoil vs SteelFiber, I have both, and I much prefer the SteelFiber BUT this could be that I much prefer 95g shafts over 120g of CTaper or 110g CTaperLite or the 70g Recoils.
I hope to make a few full swing on the range soon.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• 2 weeks later...

im interested in the Recoil 110 F4. little bit heavier than the 950 Neos im playing right now, little bit lighter than the C-Taper lite X i had in the past. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

54 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

im interested in the Recoil 110 F4. little bit heavier than the 950 Neos im playing right now, little bit lighter than the C-Taper lite X i had in the past. 

I know you mentioned in one of the threads about trying to save your joints so I get the ponder of graphite and especially the recoils. I’ve had them in the bag twice now including my current set of Miuras and am a fan and due to some personal bias I think they are the best graphite shafts out there.

Also I’m a pretty big club ho who has slowed down a bit in that area but stilll susceptible to bling buys and tinkering.

Out of curiosity wouldnt it be better to stay with what you have while working on your swing and once you’ve made some good progress and have a better swing and more consistent contact? Then once you are at that point do a fitting to find a head that works well with the recoils or another graphite shaft like fujikura, kbs or another brand?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I know you mentioned in one of the threads about trying to save your joints so I get the ponder of graphite and especially the recoils. I’ve had them in the bag twice now including my current set of Miuras and am a fan and due to some personal bias I think they are the best graphite shafts out there.

Also I’m a pretty big club ho who has slowed down a bit in that area but stilll susceptible to bling buys and tinkering.

Out of curiosity wouldnt it be better to stay with what you have while working on your swing and once you’ve made some good progress and have a better swing and more consistent contact? Then once you are at that point do a fitting to find a head that works well with the recoils or another graphite shaft like fujikura, kbs or another brand?

Yeah, planning to stay with what I have for now, i tend to like to think about things, even if it is out in the future. 

Though if i find a deal good enough, I am prone to do irrational things, i am only human 😃

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've never played the Steel Fiber, but I was fitted into a set of JPX 919 Forged w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 a little more than a year ago. I'd previously switched to graphite iron shafts (Paderson Kinetixx TS-I R) because of some elbow and wrist issues. The ESX 460 are lighter, torque-ier (sp?) and therefore less stable than the TS-I I played previously. I'm currently switching out the ESX for another set of TS-I, also R flex. I don't like the feel of a board, and am on the R/S flex cusp, swing speed-wise, but Paderson shafts tend to play a little stiffer in terms of flex and torque.

I've recently put a Paderson Ballistic 80 in my Titleist U510 3 iron, replacing the stock Tensei AV 70HY, which I also found too unstable. When I put a good swing on that thing now, the ball launch and flight is something to behold.

I'm not trying to hijack the SF vs Recoil comparison, but I would suggest anyone who is interested in trying graphite iron shafts take a look at Paderson as well (good selection on Golf Works). Having previously worked for a graphite shaft manufacturer (crew oars, not golf clubs), I do think the filament winding/vacuum cure tech combo Paderson uses is superior to prepreg sheet layup/tape and bake, and is unique as far as I know for golf shaft manufacturers.

Callaway Epic Speed + Mitsubishi MMT

TaylorMade SIM Titanium + Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

Titleist U510 20* + Paderson Kinetixx Ballistic

Mizuno 919 Forged + Paderson Kinetixx TS-I

Cleveland CBX2 54*, Vokey SM8 58*

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Pro V1

On 11/21/2020 at 7:31 PM, dlow206 said:

Yeah, planning to stay with what I have for now, i tend to like to think about things, even if it is out in the future. 

Though if i find a deal good enough, I am prone to do irrational things, i am only human 😃

This is how I wound up with a set of Recoil Proto 125.  I ran into a Vito Corleone deal.   🤔

Been going back and forth on whether I should look a little lighter, but I think the heavier static weight can help mitigate a tendency I have to muscle the club a bit.  A leftover of my baseball days as a strong pull hitter.  Not the most conducive for golf, LOL.  

Edited by NRJyzr

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2020 at 8:49 AM, fixyurdivot said:

It seems these are the two most dominant, best performing composite shafts on the market.  I've just started playing with Recoil 95 F4's, albeit as part of an exploratory test using P-CB irons which may or may not be ideal in assessing performance. For those of you who have spent time researching composite shafts and/or playing them, what are your opinions about these two mfg.'s and their portfolio of products?  

I'm going to let the fitting data drive my decision, but am leaning towards composite shafts if that is an option... for sure if there is "truth" to the happier joints claim. And, we all know where the "truth" can be found regarding all things golf 🙂.

Fitting data for sure. I tried recoils on a whim and they just weren't right for me. Steelfiber in the correct weight/flex are just fantastic things! I even have the CW 115 in the wedges. I have played primarily X100 for ~twenty years but there's just no question these are easier on the body and feel great.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Blue TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

• 4 weeks later...

I am planning to test out both of these this year before taking the plunge on my next set of irons. It's going to be strange coming from a 130g steel shaft but my surgically repaired wrist is telling me that a switch should probably happen sooner rather than later. 

Planning to test out the 125g offerings in each, since I think I still need as much weight as possible to mitigate my tendencies. Do any of the OEMs offer the 125g in either brand?

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

6 hours ago, hartrick11 said:

I am planning to test out both of these this year before taking the plunge on my next set of irons. It's going to be strange coming from a 130g steel shaft but my surgically repaired wrist is telling me that a switch should probably happen sooner rather than later. 

Planning to test out the 125g offerings in each, since I think I still need as much weight as possible to mitigate my tendencies. Do any of the OEMs offer the 125g in either brand?

... Steelfiber has a 125gm shaft and Recoil has a 125 in their Prototype model, but the regular Recoil only goes up to 110gms. If you need a shaft that heavy, the regular Recoil would probably not be a good fit anyway.  But ya never know, so might be worth hitting the 110's even if it is just to rule them out. 

On 1/14/2021 at 1:51 PM, hartrick11 said:

Not sure what flex you are looking for and not to offer something not in the title but the MMTs have a 125 option, but that is only a TX flex, but there is a 105 in x as well which would be close to the 110 in Recoils.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

Not sure what flex you are looking for and not to offer something not in the title but the MMTs have a 125 option, but that is only a TX flex, but there is a 105 in x as well which would be close to the 110 in Recoils.

Interesting thanks for the info. Even with a quick rhythm and transition, my sub-110 swing speed likely can't handle a TX. Maybe if it were soft stepped, though...worth bringing up when I ultimately get an iron fitting. 

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

I've gamed both - I know that the steelfibers are a very strong shaft - the pros that I see with them at my club have the 110's in S flex.  They came from some sort of X flex in steel prior to moving over.  

If that means anything

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

1 hour ago, revkev said:

I've gamed both - I know that the steelfibers are a very strong shaft - the pros that I see with them at my club have the 110's in S flex.  They came from some sort of X flex in steel prior to moving over.  

If that means anything

The Steelfiber i80 felt very stiff to me as compared to the Accra and KBS shafts and they did not work for me.  The fitter said that, IHO, they are the closest to steel feel as any composite on the market.  

I know I titled the thread Steelfiber vs. Recoil, but is anyone playing or tested the OTi or KBS TDi iron shafts?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

22 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

The MMT will be coming out with a 125 Stiff reasonably soon, or so is the word.  They were to be out end of last year, but pandemic affects everything....

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The MMT will be coming out with a 125 Stiff reasonably soon, or so is the word.  They were to be out end of last year, but pandemic affects everything....

Now that's tempting as someone adding a little speed and gets along best with DG S300s last time around. Though 110s would likely be heavy enough as well.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3