Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

PXG is courting me...you?

Brookers

So I have had a PXG Gen 1 driver for 2 years now, while it was a huge step up from my Cleveland CG Black it is, well, aging :)...  I am posting here to get feedback, as my "purchase new gear trigger finger" is constantly hover over the "add to cart" button on the PXG Proto driver.

Before I switched to the Gen 1 I tested all of the currently available drivers, Callaway just didn't feel right, Titleist was good but no better then my Cleveland, the new Cleveland was horrid and don't get me started on the King Cobra, just not my cup of tea.  The only driver that compared was the Ping, with similar results to the PXG and over $150 more (I get Military pricing with PXG), it was a no brainer.

So PXG now has their Gen 2 drivers for $265 (less then the Military discount), more weight control and head advancements over my Gen 1, then there is the PXG Proto driver, their latest, for a mere $365 (when compared to current Gen drivers @ $499 +).  The pickle I am in is that the season in SW MI is coming to a close, I usually don't look for replacements until late Feb early March and no, that is not EVERY year :), my golfing budget is limited with kids in Univ.  I hit my Gen 1 well (for me), average of just over 260 yds with my natural swing I tend to cut, tho I can draw it when trying ~33% of the time. I did just replace a few of my wedges with PXG during this sale, so far they are awesome, however, this has has depleted my golfing budget to where I would be "borrowing" from next year to do a driver replacement.  The driver is the next item up for replacement, Irons are 1 yr old and of course wedges are new, hybrid / 3 wood is fine.

looking forward to differing points of view.

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png Driver - PXG Proto Driver 10.5Deg ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  3 Wood - Mixuno ST-190 (Miyazaki Kaula Stiff)  

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  4 Hybrid - Sub 70 939X ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0 

Mizuno.png.d759d0a0cbba25ebc7dc911fcb0d12f4.png  6-PW - Mizuno JPX-919 HM / Nipon NS Pro Reg  

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png  52/56/60- PXG 0311 Forged / Nipon NS Pro Stiff  

a1-1.jpg.bd9bde6362b8d3ac54e8a4a9ff9a0a49.jpg  Heavy Putter Tour A1 

My motto is... if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.  That said, my driver is definitely broken, probably my wedges too... bag is broken, choice of ball is broken, non-fitted irons is broken...

I also have a limited golf budget, and try to make smart choices when the time comes.  I try to get some stuff from 2nd swing when possible. I picked up my 9.5 “mint” 3 wood for around $50  back when it was only 1-2 years old, and got the JetSpeed hybrid for Around the same price I think.  Both still had the wrappers on them.

bought a PXG Gen 1 myself and the first swing I had it tee’d up too high and now have a permanent reminder of how bad I suck at hitting a driver...  

The Pxg price for the proto probably won’t change if you waited til next year.

the gen2 was a nice improvement over the gen1 which their entire wood and hybrid were not that good and the reps have said so as well. The proto is their best release from the few people I talked to that hit it.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Our distances, and the baby fade, are similar so maybe my input will help.

I was in the market to replace my formerly impressive TA Atomic which has been misbefading, so I jumped on used 0811X Gen 2 (10.5) and 0811XF Gen 2 (9) drivers from PXG on ebay. And on the day those were arriving from PXG, I found a Proto 0811X for sale locally. With all 3 in hand, I spent a few days mass testing on the range and at the PGATSS launch monitor, swapping all the shafts and heads.

0811X Gen 2 is extremely low spin. I am a high spin player, and even with weights at a nominal position the Xg2 fired off some knuckleballs.
0811XF Gen 2 is VERY effective at reducing the fade. Many reviewers have noted 15 yards shorter with the XF. Not me, it was just as long as the others. Even with the 10.5 loft, the launch was right in line with the other two which were 9s. 
Proto is the fastest ball speed by 1-3 mph. I didn't notice much difference in sound or feel. Less fade than Xg2, but more than XFg2. Even with the weight in the draw position, it was still fading more than the XF.

So for me, the XF went into the bag. It is super effective at turning my fade into a straight ball.
The Xg2 has already moved on to another home.
The Proto is still here, I want to give it more test time, and try the weight forward setting to see how different that is. It might be worthwhile to keep it for when my swing is on.

I'm still tempted to try the Proto+, but 10.5 loft is high for me, so maybe not.

Not doubt all of these are quality drivers with great sound and feel. And PXG has some great shaft options. So jump on in!

Edited by Sparky14

Thx Sparky, I do not desire to drive all of the way to North burbs of Chicago (2+ hours away) to do another almost 2 hour fitting, your findings might help alleviate that...  The 10.5 Proto+ might work well for me, I currently use mine at 11 and still struggle at times to get enough height on the drive.  That said, I purchased my Gen 1 trying to get a fade/cut, my normal swing with the Cleveland (non-adj) was a draw to full out hook, though it is nice to be able to pull out a draw with the driver when the hole quires it, instead of relying on the 3 Wood.

Things to ponder :).

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png Driver - PXG Proto Driver 10.5Deg ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  3 Wood - Mixuno ST-190 (Miyazaki Kaula Stiff)  

Sub70.jpg.77cfa59c1fd76fb93cf26d888e345a11.jpg  4 Hybrid - Sub 70 939X ProjectX Hazardous Smoke 6.0 

Mizuno.png.d759d0a0cbba25ebc7dc911fcb0d12f4.png  6-PW - Mizuno JPX-919 HM / Nipon NS Pro Reg  

pxg.png.e7e044fd4bf4420da9b5f34ce0988283.png  52/56/60- PXG 0311 Forged / Nipon NS Pro Stiff  

PXG definitely has courted me this late summer and fall.  I've chronicled my True Golf Fit experience (on the boards here) and backed that up virtual fitting with an online PXG fitting.  I was enticed into buying a PXG 0811x based on both of those fitting deeming this to be the right driver and shaft combo.  Took me a little while to get used to it and I am hitting best drives I've ever hit.  But every once and a while I would hit one low on the face (like right off the bottom edge) and it would go straight but not come off very hot.  Learned to tee the ball up a little higher than I used to and just crushing drives now.  I replaced a 10+ year old Cleveland Launcher and a Cleveland 588 custom I would swap in from time to time.  

That driver/PXG experience has now parlayed into a full blown bag swap out with new Gen 2 PXG irons and a Gen 2 3 wood.  Every time they significantly outperformed what was in my bag.   Loving me some PXG!  Should be set for a while on golf equipment for a while now!  Save the budget up for another 10 years. 

• 2 weeks later...

The proto driver definitely has me interested.   I’m getting fit on Saturday.  Hope it sounds like most described.   I do not like the sound of my epic flash sub zero that i play currently

WITB?

Mizuno JPX921F 4-PW, recoil 95 shafts

Callaway Epic SZ 9.5°, Hzrdus Smoke black 

Ping Glide 3.0 50,54,60 

PXG hybrid 0317 Gen 1, Tensi CK Blue

Cobra F9 14.5° 3 wood, Atmos Blue 

After some research and and stepping off of my PXG milk crate (don't get me wrong, I still love their products) the MyGolfSpy review on the Sub 70 driver had me searching their site.  I had placed an order for a PXG 4 Hybrid (have had a Ben Hogan for 3 months I just can't get comfortable with) that was 3 weeks old and talking with PXG, On Oct 30, it wasn't shipping until Nov 15th at best, I cancelled the order.   I then called Sub 70 and talked with Jason and ended up ordering a 4 Hybrid from them.  Got here fast, 3 days from order.  It's been warm here in SW MI, so I was able to hit the driving range the day I got it, more then impressed with the Hybrid (and the SWAG they included, Sub 70 Hat, Ball Marker, Tee's and bumper sticker).  Called Jason back as there are no drivers available right now to find the timeline, he mentioned they had a few "slightly used" but in excellent condition drivers available.  Snagged the 12 Deg 839D for $179 with a ProjectX 5.5 and a couple of adapters in case I wanted to swap out the shaft.  Received 2 days later (oh btw, free shipping, unlike PXG who, well gouges you, imho on shipping) and again, hit the range same day.  I definitely noticed the "unique" sound that the Sub 70 makes, altho, it makes it when you hit it solid, I actually like that feedback.  

Have 4 rounds under my belt with the new Sub 70 839D Driver.  According to my VivoFit 3, I have 3 drives in the 290's (max I ever hit with the PXG Gen 1 was 278) and 1 at 303 (there was wind behind from the left in all honesty).  The fade is still there, however, have noticed on the mishits it's not as bad, in the first cut of rough instead of 15 yards right of fairway.  I am a convert, loving my 4 Hybrid and 839D from Sub 70!!!