Upgrading my wife's set, when to get fitted?

Our Sponsors

I hope this is the appropriate forum for this.

I bought my wife a set of Wilson Ladies Profile HL clubs about 5 years ago as a starter set to see if she got into it. She has been playing more and more each year and I think I am to the point of upgrading her to a new set. I don't think she is to the point of getting fitted, and I would really like her to take a few lessons (will work on that separately). However, I want to get her upgraded to some higher quality equipment.

The Wilson set includes: 1W (13.5*), 5W, 4H, 5-P, S, putter

I know that you should always get fitted for clubs. I get it, however, her swing is still evolving and I hate to get her fitted for clubs now that won't be right in a year or 2. I also get the argument that it is better to spend money on lessons rather than fitting. I do plan to get her lessons this next season (if she will do them). It is like pulling teeth to get her to go to the driving range or putting green!

What I was thinking is that I would like to get her some higher quality clubs, but not top-end or fitted. Then get lessons, work on her swing for another 2-3 years, then get her fitted.

Am I being foolish and the Wilson set is better than I think it is and she should continue to play it until she is ready to get fitted? Or is it good to get her an upgraded set off-the-shelf? What is a good value on a med-level set of clubs off-the-shelf? Costco has a set of Callaway Edge 10-piece Women's Graphite Golf Club Set at that mid-level price. Is this the right balance of an upgrade without going for a fully fitted set? Or is this all foolishness and I should get her fitted for her full bag and spend the $1,500 hoping her swing doesn't change too drastically?

@Ryan M If you play golf with your wife then you might be able to see what clubs she struggles with in order to know if a new/newer set checks those boxes. (If she is reluctant to get fit)

The Costco Callaway Edge women's set $549.99 - comes one way. 

Maltby M890 from Golfworks.com

Driver $119.99

Fairway $64.99 each 3w and/or 5w

Hybrids/Irons Combo set $309.99 4h-5h+6i-Gap = 8pc (or $59.99 hybrid and $229.99 irons individually)

Specialty Sand wedge $57.99 (TSW w/Kuro Cage graphite)

$120(D)+65(5w)+310(irons)+58= $553 but, you can replace just what she needs/wants. 

The Maltby M890 clubs go down to L and even lighter LL flex. The below graphic might help picking flex. 

The link to Golfworks for the M890 great is https://www.golfworks.com/m890-series-paks/c/80020/

Specialty wedge https://www.golfworks.com/paks/c/10015/filter/100000000159eq100000000317/

And, if you order from Golfworks, you can get custom lengths, lie adjustment, and grip sizes. 

If she is willing, get fit at the stage she is at. If she has a set suited to her then she may improve faster. And, a fitting is like a lesson where they show you what your swing does to create the ball flight. 

Screenshot_20201018-201431.png

Screenshot_20201022-084758.png

• Like 1

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

getting fit for clubs can benefit players at any level. if she’s still improving, she just needs to have that conversation with her fitter. he can put her into clubs that will serve her better than her current gamers now, but will still be good for her as her game gets better over the next few seasons. that’s what i did. 

@Bufflydo you work for maltby? you shill for them in every post where someone asks about clubs. 

• Haha 1
I hope this is the appropriate forum for this.

I bought my wife a set of Wilson Ladies Profile HL clubs about 5 years ago as a starter set to see if she got into it. She has been playing more and more each year and I think I am to the point of upgrading her to a new set. I don't think she is to the point of getting fitted, and I would really like her to take a few lessons (will work on that separately). However, I want to get her upgraded to some higher quality equipment.

The Wilson set includes: 1W (13.5*), 5W, 4H, 5-P, S, putter

I know that you should always get fitted for clubs. I get it, however, her swing is still evolving and I hate to get her fitted for clubs now that won't be right in a year or 2. I also get the argument that it is better to spend money on lessons rather than fitting. I do plan to get her lessons this next season (if she will do them). It is like pulling teeth to get her to go to the driving range or putting green!

What I was thinking is that I would like to get her some higher quality clubs, but not top-end or fitted. Then get lessons, work on her swing for another 2-3 years, then get her fitted.

Am I being foolish and the Wilson set is better than I think it is and she should continue to play it until she is ready to get fitted? Or is it good to get her an upgraded set off-the-shelf? What is a good value on a med-level set of clubs off-the-shelf? Costco has a set of Callaway Edge 10-piece Women's Graphite Golf Club Set at that mid-level price. Is this the right balance of an upgrade without going for a fully fitted set? Or is this all foolishness and I should get her fitted for her full bag and spend the $1,500 hoping her swing doesn't change too drastically?

Your situation is almost identical to ours. My wife had been playing for about 6 years with a Idea box set I bought her at DSG. During the six years she did ok but struggled with her long clubs. She did have lessons and both her instructor and I both urged her to get to the range to practice, getting her there was an impossible chore.

2 years ago she watched me go through a fitting and thought that process would be good for her game. She was really excited about going through the process and of course getting new shiny stuff. Today, while she doesn't practice as much as I do, she's on the driving range more than ever, is focused on her game and even got ARRCOS sensors. New clubs were a major confidence booster.

Oh and she dropped 10 strokes this year, and won most improved player at our club. Not bad for a 75 yr old gal.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

5 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

getting fit for clubs can benefit players at any level. if she’s still improving, she just needs to have that conversation with her fitter. he can put her into clubs that will serve her better than her current gamers now, but will still be good for her as her game gets better over the next few seasons. that’s what i did. 

@Bufflydo you work for maltby? you shill for them in every post where someone asks about clubs. 

I don't work for them. I just play Maltby Wedges and driving irons, and own two other iron sets from them. I find them to be the best value on the market for me equipment. 

I like how he designs clubs for the Amateur and how he has a different build philosophy for women's clubs than most OEMs. He designs women's clubs to actually have heavier head weights to match the shorter length of the club. Other OEMs just use standard head weights with lighter shafts and smaller grips in shorter length that only makes the club lighter and not more effective. I respect him for that. 

I recommend Maltby because I can't see spending over $1,000 for a set of irons, I like how you can have them custom built, and I am a techy nerd that loves the details. 

I am also a proponent of buying used equipment from the big 3 (Ping, Titleist, Callaway) and little 5 (Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland, Srixon, Tour Edge) but, what they offer in women's and slower swingers is limited to Senior flex - mostly. 

I am a low income golfer - like an oxymoron - two conflicting terms. After this past weekend's event at Sherwood, I looked up what it took to play there - a country club membership is $85,000 + monthly dues + quarterly dining minimums. I offer cheaper alternative when I see an opportunity because I like to play golf for less than $30/round. 

• Like 1

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

9 minutes ago, Buffly said:

I am a low income golfer - like an oxymoron - two conflicting terms. After this past weekend's event at Sherwood, I looked up what it took to play there - a country club membership is $85,000 + monthly dues + quarterly dining minimums. I offer cheaper alternative when I see an opportunity because I like to play golf for less than $30/round. 

aside from your numbers being wrong, assuming someone else’s financial situation based on how you like to spend your own money doesn’t come off great. 

constantly pushing maltby clubs to the point of copying and pasting your own flex chart and loft sheet is a little over the top when i’ve never seen someone directly ask for any of that information

you have strong feelings about how to enjoy golf - that doesn’t mean you should impose them on other people looking for information on a forum. 

cheers!

• Hmmm 1
8 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

aside from your numbers being wrong, assuming someone else’s financial situation based on how you like to spend your own money doesn’t come off great. 

constantly pushing maltby clubs to the point of copying and pasting your own flex chart and loft sheet is a little over the top when i’ve never seen someone directly ask for any of that information

you have strong feelings about how to enjoy golf - that doesn’t mean you should impose them on other people looking for information on a forum. 

cheers!

You have earned a spot in the I will never respond to you again file - your lack of respect for my point of view is disgraceful, disrespectful, and rude. I'm fine with you.

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Buffly said:

You have earned a spot in the I will never respond to you again file - your lack of respect for my point of view is disgraceful, disrespectful, and rude. I'm fine with you.

truly honored 

image.gif.68b2fe5786fbb5ebd8f760bfd23952da.gif

but, what they offer in women's and slower swingers is limited to Senior flex - mostly. 

Careful - while I'd agree the availability of "ladies clubs" is limited. Our experience is different, especially if the woman doesn't want pink or purple shafts/heads.  By definition my wife has a slow swing speed. She is 75 and while very active, doesn't put in a lot of time to develop an increased swing speed, although she did participate with me in my SuperSpeed protocols. Our fitter put her into a Ping 410 Plus driver with a men's CB55 senior shaft, Big Bertha irons with Recoil ESX 460 shafts. None of those would typically be considered "ladies clubs" and again they don't come in pink or purple. As mentioned above she has done great with them and this year moved her index down to a 26.5 from a 36.5.  

I can understand people being passionate about Maltby clubs - I'm just as passionate about my 410SFT driver and SZ irons. My recommendation to@ryan m is based on a real life experience of the benefits of going to a fitter vs. buying OTR clubs. And the overall cost of the fitting and the clubs was no more than a big box store.  

• Like 4

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra F Max 5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

9 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Careful - while I'd agree the availability of "ladies clubs" is limited. Our experience is different, especially if the woman doesn't want pink or purple shafts/heads.  By definition my wife has a slow swing speed. She is 75 and while very active, doesn't put in a lot of time to develop an increased swing speed, although she did participate with me in my SuperSpeed protocols. Our fitter put her into a Ping 410 Plus driver with a men's CB55 senior shaft, Big Bertha irons with Recoil ESX 460 shafts. None of those would typically be considered "ladies clubs" and again they don't come in pink or purple. As mentioned above she has done great with them and this year moved her index down to a 26.5 from a 36.5.  

I can understand people being passionate about Maltby clubs - I'm just as passionate about my 410SFT driver and SZ irons. My recommendation to@ryan m is based on a real life experience of the benefits of going to a fitter vs. buying OTR clubs. And the overall cost of the fitting and the clubs was no more than a big box store.  

I totally agree. I was only offering an alternative route to golf greatness - choose your own adventure. @tony@CIC I have seen a lot of your posts and, you have great insight on this. Thanks

• Like 1