TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Ball Needed

MrShowbiz999

Greetings, my fellow brothers and sisters in Golf . . .

I have often turned to these forums and you amazing members for help in choosing my golf equipment, and you never disappoint! Well, I am back again, but revisiting an older posting of mine:

A few months back I was looking for recommendations for golf balls for beginners (me!) I was interested in very low compression balls and ultimately chose the Wilson Staff Optix Duo, a yellow matte ball at 29 compression that I've really enjoyed playing. However, I have recently upgraded to a new driver, and the manufacturer has recommended that I try a higher compression ball, something about 80, based on the technology behind this new club. Of course, having never played a ball like that, I don't know where to start. I was told to buy the Titleist Pro V1, but as I lose about a dozen balls every round (be kind, I am a 58-year-old beginner!), Pro V1's at $50/dz are not doable.

My swing speed is under 90 mph; I am getting about 150 - 175 yards (hit a 200-yarder last week and was ready to pop a bottle of champagne!) with my old driver and Duo's, hoping for more on the new one. Was hoping all of you with your vast knowledge and experience could point me towards a much more cost-effective (cheaper) alternative to try? There are always deals to be had, especially this time of year, and since this is new territory I'd love not to have to spend a fortune on something that I am bound to lose shortly after I buy it.

Any thoughts? As always, thanks for your assistance . . . 

Marty!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Cobra Golf Fairway Woods (3, 5)

Tommy Armour Atomic Max Irons (4 - 9)

Tommy Armour Wedges (A, S, G, P)

Odyssey Works Versa Marxman Fang Putter

Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi Hybrid (4 & 7)

I can end this thread quickly.  Top Flite Gamer is the ball for you.  2 dozen for $35 at Dick's Sporting Goods.  Here is a thread with numerous comments.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Marty,

I would suggest you try the Srixon Soft Feel ball. This is at a 60 compression but a good point between where you are to the 80. You can get them for $19.99 a dozen. MGS did a review on these. Just type the ball name in the search bar and the article will come up. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Marty,

I would suggest you try the Srixon Soft Feel ball. This is at a 60 compression but a good point between where you are to the 80. You can get them for $19.99 a dozen. MGS did a review on these. Just type the ball name in the search bar and the article will come up. 

+ 1, also, wait 3-4 weeks for Black Friday deals. If it has to be firmer and urethane, TP5x practice balls for 20.00. Black Friday should be free shipping. 

https://www.golfdiscount.com/taylormade-2019-tp5x-pix-20-practice-bagged-golf-balls?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuZCBnbjT7AIVg43ICh2CTQiuEAQYASABEgI4b_D_BwE

Edited by NC Golfer

Thanks . . . any other opinions? I am def going to need to purchase at least a dozen of something before Black Friday, as I live in NJ and who knows how long the golfing season will last for us here?!?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

Top Flite Hammer Control,  2 15-packs for $25 at Dicks. Maxfli SoftFli is 2 doz for $30 at DSG as well. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

If you're a Costco member I would recommend the Kirkland Signature because you won't find a better ball at $12.50 a dozen. If you want the spin and control of a "tour" or urethane ball I would recommend almost any ball. However, I recently went through a box of the Spalding Tour X and Tour that you can buy at Walmart for $25/dozen and I was thoroughly impressed with the amount of distance and spin I got with the balls. I especially like the Tour (non X variant). Golfworks has is selling the Maxfli U6 tour ball for $19.99/dozen currently and that is probably a fine ball. There really aren't many "bad" balls in the tour ball space. Overall, I recommend going with what your budget allows and if you don't love the ball you're using, try something else. However, I highly recommend a urethane ball over an ionomer/surlyn covered ball as they typically feel better, hold greens better, and offer more spin close to the green. 

10 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

Thanks . . . any other opinions? I am def going to need to purchase at least a dozen of something before Black Friday, as I live in NJ and who knows how long the golfing season will last for us here?!?

Hammer Control, they are 2 fo 25 and 15 ball packs at Dicks. If you have been using a 2 piece ball Optix ball, these are a much firmer 2 piece ball (70 compression) with plenty of feel and a good value. Also, many people rave about snell balls and they have the higher compression you are seeking.

Edited by NC Golfer

So I've reached out to the club manufacturer, and they are actually recommending that I try the Bridgestone e6. While surfing I came across the Bridgestone Precept Laddie Extreme that is a higher compression ball but seemingly built for a swinger like me and VERY CHEAP! Any thoughts?

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

If your swing speed with the driver is over 80 MPH, you can play a urethane ball.  The more recent Maxfli tour balls are getting good reviews.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

13 hours ago, MrShowbiz999 said:

So I've reached out to the club manufacturer, and they are actually recommending that I try the Bridgestone e6. While surfing I came across the Bridgestone Precept Laddie Extreme that is a higher compression ball but seemingly built for a swinger like me and VERY CHEAP! Any thoughts?

Haven't played either ball. But, I believe the E6 is a two piece and 44 compression and the Laddie is two piece - hard to find a compression on this one. Also, there's a Laddie X and Extreme. 

6 minutes ago, NC Golfer said:

Haven't played either ball. But, I believe the E6 is a two piece and 44 compression and the Laddie is two piece - hard to find a compression on this one. Also, there's a Laddie X and Extreme. 

The Laddie Extreme is the one that I found, with a compression of 80. They are going for about $20.00 - $25.00 for 2 dozen!

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

• 2 weeks later...

I would say try the Kirkland Signature, they are really cheap and kind of similar to the Pro-V1 that you were recommended to.

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

On 10/28/2020 at 7:17 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

Every time I have found one of those balls while playing, and played it for a few holes, I really liked it. 

It doesn't have the greenside control of a tour urethane ball but, it does have a little check. On full swings it performed well. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

On 10/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Marty,

I've been playing the new 2020 Srixon Soft Feel for the last couple of rounds.  Better distance than a tour ball for a slower swing speed in colder weather, and it has decent spin around the greens.  Might be my winter ball; still evaluating others but it will be hard to beat.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I purchased a couple dozen Bridgestone e6 (soft) golf balls and played a round on my birthday last Sunday. Again, I am just learning the game, but I really liked to response of the ball especially off my Krank f11xx slow swing speed driver. I took advantage of the Srixon buy 2 get 1 free offer and will be picking up my Soft Feel's tomorrow. Hope to give those a try this weekend. Since Winter in NJ is right around the corner these should last me through this season, but please keep providing your insights; they are invaluable to a newbie player like myself.

Marty

Krank Golf f11xx driver

If you are losing a lot of balls and just starting out you might try a used ball web site.  Find the ball you like and get some mint or near mint in the kind you like.  You can generally buy them in bulk, they are slightly cheaper and you don't feel as bad about losing them.  Once your game gets better and you are not losing them as much you can jump up to the brand new.  Just a thought.

Manhattan, KS 

:ping-small: Ping G30 Driver 9.5 degrees

:taylormade-small:Taylor Made RBZ Black 3 wood

Nike Vapor 3 Hybrid

:Sub70:Sub70 699 Pro Irons 4-PW (KBS Tour 120 Stiff)

:taylormade-small:Taylor Made ATV 58 and 52 wedges

:tour-edge: Tour Edge 56 Sand Wedge

:odyssey-small:Odyssey White Hot #9 Putter

No official handicap but about 18.  

On 11/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, MrShowbiz999 said:

I purchased a couple dozen Bridgestone e6 (soft) golf balls and played a round on my birthday last Sunday. Again, I am just learning the game, but I really liked to response of the ball especially off my Krank f11xx slow swing speed driver. I took advantage of the Srixon buy 2 get 1 free offer and will be picking up my Soft Feel's tomorrow. Hope to give those a try this weekend. Since Winter in NJ is right around the corner these should last me through this season, but please keep providing your insights; they are invaluable to a newbie player like myself.

You will like the Soft Feels. 

Id recommend that Maxfli Tour.  Ive been playing them for the past few months and theyre awsome.  To me, they play just like a Pro V1 but cost about $25 a dozen.  I wouldnt get too concerned with the compression of a ball because there really is no set rule for how you measure compression.  Especially in a 3 or 4-piece ball, what are they measuring?  The outer cover?  The core?  Does anyone even know?  Does it even matter?

I do feel that you give up a certain amount of performance (distance and spin) when you go to a really low compression ball but if you have been playing the Duo and you like it, Id stick with that.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

19 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Id recommend that Maxfli Tour.  Ive been playing them for the past few months and theyre awsome.  To me, they play just like a Pro V1 but cost about $25 a dozen.  I wouldnt get too concerned with the compression of a ball because there really is no set rule for how you measure compression.  Especially in a 3 or 4-piece ball, what are they measuring?  The outer cover?  The core?  Does anyone even know?  Does it even matter?

I do feel that you give up a certain amount of performance (distance and spin) when you go to a really low compression ball but if you have been playing the Duo and you like it, Id stick with that.

I agree that the Maxfli Tour is a great ball for the money.  All of the MSG test on the ball have shown solid results.  I played them earlier in the summer and switched to Srixon Z-Star and like the Maxfli better.  Last winter the Maxflis were on sale for as low as $20 a dozen.  It seems like they are almost always have the two dozen for $50.  However I would not pay the retail price of $35 for the ball.  There are better balls for about $30 a dozen like Snell balls. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

20 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Yes, it does matter. I cannot play a higher compression tour-level ball without losing distance. As someone who's already a short knocker as it is, any perceived advantages to playing a urethane ball are gone just with that factor alone. I'm also dreadful off the tee, which is my problem and something I'm constantly working on. Why would I want a spinnier ball that costs more when I know I'm going to send 3-4 into the woods per round, minimum?

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

The Gamer is my summer ball.  Moved to the Top Flite Hammer Control for a winter ball and might like it even more. I think I picked up two boxes of 15 for $25.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

49 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

The Gamer is my summer ball.  Moved to the Top Flite Hammer Control for a winter ball and might like it even more. I think I picked up two boxes of 15 for $25.

I gotta try that one. 30 balls for 25? that's how it should be!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I've been on my own ball journey this summer season, and frankly, my whole golfing life. I've never been able to stomach paying for the top tier balls. At my worst, I would easily lose 8-10 balls in a round- yes, that averages to one every other hole. Any choice was predominately driven by cost for me. Ego was also a part of it for me for a long time. I couldn't stand playing with for work or with friends and grabbing a pinnacle/top flite out of my bag. It felt like I was giving up and just admitting that I was going to lose more golf balls than any performance benefit I might get. It also had the affect of not caring that much about a slight mishit and giving up searching for findable shots. So I wound up playing a lot of mid-tier balls like the Titleist DT Solo (years ago) or the Velocity just so I could afford to play a name brand ball.

So that brings me to this summer. I re-invested in my game, took lessons, played and practiced a bunch. After spending a lot of time on MGS forums, reading Ball Labs, reviews, etc. here's what I would suggest-

1. Kirkland Signature
  2. Vice Pro Plus
  3. Snell MTB-X

One comment there- if you're really losing a dozen balls/round, you might also consider the lower tier offerings from Snell (Get Sum) or Vice (Drive). I haven't tried these yet, so I don't endorse them like the above three. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of the above suggestions and I'm not putting a lot of science behind these recommendations despite @MrShowbiz999 comments about compression, swing speeds, etc. In what I recall reading from MGS, the Vice Pro Plus, Snell MTB-X, and the K-Sig all stacked up decently well against the PRO-V1. In the Ball Lab, the Snell MTB-X was excellent for quality and the K-Sig, while modestly troubled still had one of the lowest "true prices" of all of the models tested so far at $16.65/dz. (Check this handy guide from @TR1PTIK)

I've gamed all three brands. I've been pleased with all of the results, or at least pleased enough that I would buy them and play them again. I think at this point in your game, you want the best balance of quality, price, and performance. I think any of these three balls would get you there and at these prices, you won't break the bank in trying a dozen or two. It seems to me like you're just looking for a ball that won't hold your game back and won't break the bank. Any of these achieve that goal. You may see more distance, spin, feel, etc. in the coming rounds and it will be hard to tell if it's you or the ball, but at least with these three balls, you'll know that they aren't detrimental to your game. Further, I find that the issues I encounter that are ratcheting up my score are self-imposed (missing gimme putts, going OB off the tee, etc.) and are not because I didn't capture just the right amount of spin at the green or get the exact right launch angle.

Finally, and this is silly, but from an ego perspective, I have no issue with these brands/balls. If a guy asks me what I'm hitting, I'm comfortable saying Vice or Snell, knowing that I'm playing something that is unique, respected, and that even good golfers would be willing to try. If I'm asked about the K-sig, it's such a good deal that even if a golf snob scoffs, it's worth the extra $12/dz that I saved to endure his disdain.

Edited by cdstall

--
Driver: :callaway-small: GBB Epic Sub Zero 10.5* X-Stiff -- Currently borrowing an Epic Flash, as the GBB was damaged during practice, and loving it
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash 3W X-Stiff
Irons: Nickent 3DX Pro 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08* , 56.10* :cleveland-small: CG16 60.12*
Putter: :odyssey-small: WhiteHot RX-7
Ball: Testing Snell MTB-Black & MTB-X
RH

On 11/16/2020 at 2:27 PM, russtopherb said:

Yes, it does matter. I cannot play a higher compression tour-level ball without losing distance. As someone who's already a short knocker as it is, any perceived advantages to playing a urethane ball are gone just with that factor alone. I'm also dreadful off the tee, which is my problem and something I'm constantly working on. Why would I want a spinnier ball that costs more when I know I'm going to send 3-4 into the woods per round, minimum?

The science really doesnt support the notion that you will lose distance with a firmer ball.  Its quite the opposite, actually.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

On 11/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, mooremikea said:

I agree that the Maxfli Tour is a great ball for the money.  All of the MSG test on the ball have shown solid results.  I played them earlier in the summer and switched to Srixon Z-Star and like the Maxfli better.  Last winter the Maxflis were on sale for as low as $20 a dozen.  It seems like they are almost always have the two dozen for $50.  However I would not pay the retail price of $35 for the ball.  There are better balls for about $30 a dozen like Snell balls. 

Perhaps but you can usually find the Maxflis for the 2 dozen for $50 deal and you can get them that day, instead of hoping that Snell has the ball you want in stock (which lately they seldom do) and then waiting a week for them to ship to you.

Ive played Snells, Ive played Maxflis.  To me, they are pretty much the same.  The only difference is that Maxfli doesnt have the hype behind it that Snell does.

The science really doesnt support the notion that you will lose distance with a firmer ball.  Its quite the opposite, actually.

Interesting. I guess the layout of the course I play every other week must change then whenever I try to play a ProV1 instead of a Duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk