New Ball Needed

MrShowbiz999

19 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Id recommend that Maxfli Tour.  Ive been playing them for the past few months and theyre awsome.  To me, they play just like a Pro V1 but cost about $25 a dozen.  I wouldnt get too concerned with the compression of a ball because there really is no set rule for how you measure compression.  Especially in a 3 or 4-piece ball, what are they measuring?  The outer cover?  The core?  Does anyone even know?  Does it even matter?

I do feel that you give up a certain amount of performance (distance and spin) when you go to a really low compression ball but if you have been playing the Duo and you like it, Id stick with that.

I agree that the Maxfli Tour is a great ball for the money.  All of the MSG test on the ball have shown solid results.  I played them earlier in the summer and switched to Srixon Z-Star and like the Maxfli better.  Last winter the Maxflis were on sale for as low as $20 a dozen.  It seems like they are almost always have the two dozen for $50.  However I would not pay the retail price of $35 for the ball.  There are better balls for about $30 a dozen like Snell balls. 

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

20 hours ago, BadgerGolfer said:

Id recommend that Maxfli Tour.  Ive been playing them for the past few months and theyre awsome.  To me, they play just like a Pro V1 but cost about $25 a dozen.  I wouldnt get too concerned with the compression of a ball because there really is no set rule for how you measure compression.  Especially in a 3 or 4-piece ball, what are they measuring?  The outer cover?  The core?  Does anyone even know?  Does it even matter?

I do feel that you give up a certain amount of performance (distance and spin) when you go to a really low compression ball but if you have been playing the Duo and you like it, Id stick with that.

Yes, it does matter. I cannot play a higher compression tour-level ball without losing distance. As someone who's already a short knocker as it is, any perceived advantages to playing a urethane ball are gone just with that factor alone. I'm also dreadful off the tee, which is my problem and something I'm constantly working on. Why would I want a spinnier ball that costs more when I know I'm going to send 3-4 into the woods per round, minimum?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

The Gamer is my summer ball.  Moved to the Top Flite Hammer Control for a winter ball and might like it even more. I think I picked up two boxes of 15 for $25.

• Like 2

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

49 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

The Gamer is my summer ball.  Moved to the Top Flite Hammer Control for a winter ball and might like it even more. I think I picked up two boxes of 15 for $25.

I gotta try that one. 30 balls for 25? that's how it should be!

• Like 1

I got something to say then I'm gonna say it. 

I've been on my own ball journey this summer season, and frankly, my whole golfing life. I've never been able to stomach paying for the top tier balls. At my worst, I would easily lose 8-10 balls in a round- yes, that averages to one every other hole. Any choice was predominately driven by cost for me. Ego was also a part of it for me for a long time. I couldn't stand playing with for work or with friends and grabbing a pinnacle/top flite out of my bag. It felt like I was giving up and just admitting that I was going to lose more golf balls than any performance benefit I might get. It also had the affect of not caring that much about a slight mishit and giving up searching for findable shots. So I wound up playing a lot of mid-tier balls like the Titleist DT Solo (years ago) or the Velocity just so I could afford to play a name brand ball.

So that brings me to this summer. I re-invested in my game, took lessons, played and practiced a bunch. After spending a lot of time on MGS forums, reading Ball Labs, reviews, etc. here's what I would suggest-

1. Kirkland Signature
  2. Vice Pro Plus
  3. Snell MTB-X

One comment there- if you're really losing a dozen balls/round, you might also consider the lower tier offerings from Snell (Get Sum) or Vice (Drive). I haven't tried these yet, so I don't endorse them like the above three. 

I'm not disagreeing with any of the above suggestions and I'm not putting a lot of science behind these recommendations despite @MrShowbiz999 comments about compression, swing speeds, etc. In what I recall reading from MGS, the Vice Pro Plus, Snell MTB-X, and the K-Sig all stacked up decently well against the PRO-V1. In the Ball Lab, the Snell MTB-X was excellent for quality and the K-Sig, while modestly troubled still had one of the lowest "true prices" of all of the models tested so far at $16.65/dz. (Check this handy guide from @TR1PTIK)

I've gamed all three brands. I've been pleased with all of the results, or at least pleased enough that I would buy them and play them again. I think at this point in your game, you want the best balance of quality, price, and performance. I think any of these three balls would get you there and at these prices, you won't break the bank in trying a dozen or two. It seems to me like you're just looking for a ball that won't hold your game back and won't break the bank. Any of these achieve that goal. You may see more distance, spin, feel, etc. in the coming rounds and it will be hard to tell if it's you or the ball, but at least with these three balls, you'll know that they aren't detrimental to your game. Further, I find that the issues I encounter that are ratcheting up my score are self-imposed (missing gimme putts, going OB off the tee, etc.) and are not because I didn't capture just the right amount of spin at the green or get the exact right launch angle.

Finally, and this is silly, but from an ego perspective, I have no issue with these brands/balls. If a guy asks me what I'm hitting, I'm comfortable saying Vice or Snell, knowing that I'm playing something that is unique, respected, and that even good golfers would be willing to try. If I'm asked about the K-sig, it's such a good deal that even if a golf snob scoffs, it's worth the extra $12/dz that I saved to endure his disdain.

Edited by cdstall

--
Driver: :callaway-small: GBB Epic Sub Zero 10.5* X-Stiff -- Currently borrowing an Epic Flash, as the GBB was damaged during practice, and loving it
3 Wood: :callaway-small: Epic Flash 3W X-Stiff
Irons: Nickent 3DX Pro 3-PW Stiff
Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey Spin Milled 52.08* , 56.10* :cleveland-small: CG16 60.12*
Putter: :odyssey-small: WhiteHot RX-7
Ball: Testing Snell MTB-Black & MTB-X
RH

On 11/16/2020 at 2:27 PM, russtopherb said:

Yes, it does matter. I cannot play a higher compression tour-level ball without losing distance. As someone who's already a short knocker as it is, any perceived advantages to playing a urethane ball are gone just with that factor alone. I'm also dreadful off the tee, which is my problem and something I'm constantly working on. Why would I want a spinnier ball that costs more when I know I'm going to send 3-4 into the woods per round, minimum?

The science really doesnt support the notion that you will lose distance with a firmer ball.  Its quite the opposite, actually.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 blue ion 54*

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

On 11/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, mooremikea said:

I agree that the Maxfli Tour is a great ball for the money.  All of the MSG test on the ball have shown solid results.  I played them earlier in the summer and switched to Srixon Z-Star and like the Maxfli better.  Last winter the Maxflis were on sale for as low as $20 a dozen.  It seems like they are almost always have the two dozen for $50.  However I would not pay the retail price of $35 for the ball.  There are better balls for about $30 a dozen like Snell balls. 

Perhaps but you can usually find the Maxflis for the 2 dozen for $50 deal and you can get them that day, instead of hoping that Snell has the ball you want in stock (which lately they seldom do) and then waiting a week for them to ship to you.

Ive played Snells, Ive played Maxflis.  To me, they are pretty much the same.  The only difference is that Maxfli doesnt have the hype behind it that Snell does.

• Like 2

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

The science really doesnt support the notion that you will lose distance with a firmer ball.  Its quite the opposite, actually.

Interesting. I guess the layout of the course I play every other week must change then whenever I try to play a ProV1 instead of a Duo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

top flite gamers are currently 2 for $35 on Dick’s website 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

12 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

top flite gamers are currently 2 for $35 on Dick’s website 

Thats about the price i am paying for TP5X Pix Practice Balls... $19.99 a dozen and then a 20% off coupon

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 4/27/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Accra 95 icwt S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Two Ball Ten S Tour Lines - 31"

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Thats about the price i am paying for TP5X Pix Practice Balls... $19.99 a dozen and then a 20% off coupon

i grabbed 3 dozen tp5x practice balls a while back for $19.99...didn’t have the 20% off coupon though.  that’s handy. 

mentioned the top flite price because a bunch of guys in this thread were talking about them 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

3 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

i grabbed 3 dozen tp5x practice balls a while back for $19.99...didn’t have the 20% off coupon though.  that’s handy. 

mentioned the top flite price because a bunch of guys in this thread were talking about them 

The 20% is from golfballs.com

Updated 4/27/2021

Interesting. I guess the layout of the course I play every other week must change then whenever I try to play a ProV1 instead of a Duo.

I'm just saying. Look at the MGS ball test where they showed that soft balls can actually cost you ball speed and distance. Not to mention that nowadays all balls are low spin off the driver, so it really doesn't matter if its a Pro V1 or Pinnacle.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

The 20% is from golfballs.com

found it in my email...didn’t work for me for some reason 

I'm just saying. Look at the MGS ball test where they showed that soft balls can actually cost you ball speed and distance. Not to mention that nowadays all balls are low spin off the driver, so it really doesn't matter if its a Pro V1 or Pinnacle.

It matters to me. And since it’s my money paying for the balls, and my score it’s impacting, I’ll play what’s best for me, not what you or the MGS test says. Cool? Cool.

• Like 1

It matters to me. And since it’s my money paying for the balls, and my score it’s impacting, I’ll play what’s best for me, not what you or the MGS test says. Cool? Cool.

Whatever works. I'm just trying to understand your logic. Unless cost and a soft feeling ball are your main or only concerns, you're really giving up a lot of performance with a ball like the Duo and its probably hurting your game much more than its helping it.
Based upon your previous response, it seems like your mind is pretty set and you aren't open to any opinions that differ from your own. Just saying.

15 minutes ago, Chip Strokes said:

found it in my email...didn’t work for me for some reason 

TP5 or TP5X?

Updated 4/27/2021

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

TP5 or TP5X?

tp5x pix