TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rocky Patel Sampler

I bought a Rocky Patel sampler out of one one the mail order catalogs a while back and I'm wondering if they are seconds. Every single one has either burned funny or had to be relit or both. I've never had Rockys before is this a common problem or did they just sell me 2nds?

I would pop them in the humidor for at least a couple of weeks before smoking them. It helps to stabilise the relative humidity of the cigars - it sounds like erratic burning and going out is a classic case of too much moisture in them. If you use Boveda bags in your humidor, they will help in getting them in the correct range they should be - around 69-71% RH.

I think they usually advise 2 weeks in your humidor to acclimate to the humidity change. Bovedas are awesome BTW

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

21 minutes ago, Patriots68 said:

They sat in my humidor for a month or two and it didn't make any difference. Kept it at 70% The olivas i got at the same burn great.

Do you keep them in the plastic in your humidor or out?? I notice that if I leave certain cigars in they burn different than when I have them out and vice versa

18 hours ago, tommc23 said:

Do you keep them in the plastic in your humidor or out?? I notice that if I leave certain cigars in they burn different than when I have them out and vice versa

I have a couple left maybe ill take them out and see if it makes a difference. I've always left them in if they came in it.

Another thing you can do, especially if the RH is high is to dry box them for a day or two before you smoke them. That might bring the humidity down to the point where the burn will be more even and the taste will be as intended.

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

1 hour ago, Patriots68 said:

I have a couple left maybe ill take them out and see if it makes a difference. I've always left them in if they came in it.

Yea I've played around with different cigars in and out. I keep mine out and age some for years it adds flavors to them from different cigars and the humidor itself. I have some in the plastic still those I take golfing if I plan to walk and not carry my portable humidor.

Sounds like you got a skunk batch unfortunately. Never had issues with RP, they usually burn super stable. May be worth letting the company know and see if you can get a refund or at least credit towards your next purchase? 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑