Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Penalty application impact on GIR

brendalonian

Hi Spies, 

I wanted to put a scenario out there about how a penalty stroke should be applied and how or whether it impacts GIR. I enter my hole-by-hole scores into GHIN with advanced stats and I realized that I wasn't 100% sure how to enter the GIR cell for a particular hole.

Scenario: Par 5, hit second shot into water. Took my drop and hit the green with my next shot. Two putted.

Score: 5 strokes + 1 penalty stroke = 6

I believe this would not count as a GIR because the penalty applies immediately in my stroke count, so I reached the green in four strokes, not three, correct? In which case, the proper GIR entry on GHIN would be "Missed Short", correct? The other way to look at it would be that I reached the green in 3 actual strokes and the penalty doesn't factor into that statistic. 

I know GIR is only for personal stat tracking purposes but I am interested in seeing what others think. I'm probably also overthinking this 🤪

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3

Hi Spies, 
I wanted to put a scenario out there about how a penalty stroke should be applied and how or whether it impacts GIR. I enter my hole-by-hole scores into GHIN with advanced stats and I realized that I wasn't 100% sure how to enter the GIR cell for a particular hole.
Scenario: Par 5, hit second shot into water. Took my drop and hit the green with my next shot. Two putted.
Score: 5 strokes + 1 penalty stroke = 6
I believe this would not count as a GIR because the penalty applies immediately in my stroke count, so I reached the green in four strokes, not three, correct? In which case, the proper GIR entry on GHIN would be "Missed Short", correct? The other way to look at it would be that I reached the green in 3 actual strokes and the penalty doesn't factor into that statistic. 
I know GIR is only for personal stat tracking purposes but I am interested in seeing what others think. I'm probably also overthinking this 

It would not be a GIR. GiR is having the ball on the putting surface in 2 strokes less than par.

In your example the ball was on the green after your fourth shot not your third.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, cnosil said:

It would not be a GIR. GiR is having the ball on the putting surface in 2 strokes less than par.

In your example the ball was on the green after your fourth shot not your third.

Thanks - That is what I thought but the GHIN options only allow for Green Hit or directional misses. Missed Short would be most applicable but I wish there was an option for "Missed - Penalty" or something in that realm.

image.png.a9bd8f9fab9851309d9492c09161f4a4.png

Dexterity: RH

Driver:taylormade-small: Sim Max 9˚

3 Wood:Sub70: 939x

4h & 5h:Sub70: 939x

4i-PW: MALTBY TE Forged

Wedges:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52˚ & 58˚

Putter:edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball:titelist-small: Pro V1 or :Snell: MTB-X Optic Yellow

Data Collection:ShotScope: V3