Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Rattle in driver head

Siamese Moose

Last year my driver (Wishon 919) developed a rattle in the hosel area. I assumed it was a loose hosel weight, and that I had goofed on assembly. Since I couldn't hear it when swinging, and it didn't affect playability, I ignored it. I didn't want to risk pulling the shaft to fix it, since there's some chance of screwing up the shaft. I got a new driver this week (Ping G410), so I thought I'd fix my now back-up club. After getting everything disassembled the rattle is still there. It's not the hosel weight (removed), it's inside the head around the hosel area. It sounds like metal on metal. Any ideas what it is? Can it be quieted? The worst case scenario is that I'll put it back together as it was and accept the rattle, especially since it's now #2. 

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

1 hour ago, Siamese Moose said:

Last year my driver (Wishon 919) developed a rattle in the hosel area. I assumed it was a loose hosel weight, and that I had goofed on assembly. Since I couldn't hear it when swinging, and it didn't affect playability, I ignored it. I didn't want to risk pulling the shaft to fix it, since there's some chance of screwing up the shaft. I got a new driver this week (Ping G410), so I thought I'd fix my now back-up club. After getting everything disassembled the rattle is still there. It's not the hosel weight (removed), it's inside the head around the hosel area. It sounds like metal on metal. Any ideas what it is? Can it be quieted? The worst case scenario is that I'll put it back together as it was and accept the rattle, especially since it's now #2. 

If it is in the head, you can use some rattle-stop to stop the rattle. its like glue that never dries so it will catch any loose pieces of material.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I've had that happen to me twice on different drivers. It was a small piece of the epoxy that broke loose and was bouncing around inside the head. Lucky for me the driver had some weight adjustment screws. I removed the screw and kept on shaking the head until the piece fell through the hole. Yes it sounded like metal on metal as well but it wasn't. If there is a way into the head there is a way to get it out.

The other time there was no way in so my local golf shop sent it back and the manufacturer sent me a replacement.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

I’ve had this happen twice with my current driver. It’s an adjustable driver, so I unscrewed the head from the shaft, then shook the head until whatever it was fell out. Mine was hot melt that had come loose. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

• 3 weeks later...

Following up here: thanks to those who responded! Whatever it is, it's not something flying around loose. It's specific to the hosel area, and it sounds like a bolt rattling inside a fitting. (I don't think that's it, that's just my best description of what it sounds like.) I tried adding hot melt, and that didn't stop it. Per instructions from Doug at Wishon, I heated the entire head and clamped it with the hosel down. That didn't do it. I left it clamped while I went out of town. When I got home (8 days) the rattle was fixed! Apparently hot melt (Brampton Rattle Stop) needs a lot more time to set up than I ever guessed. The club is now reassembled, and I hope to put it to use later this week.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese