TESTERS WANTED! ×

Indoors or Outdoors?

Keeping this simple.  I have the option to conduct my bag fitting indoors (studio environment using Foresight GC Quad) or outdoors on natural turf using Skytrac.  Which would you choose and why?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Keeping this simple.  I have the option to conduct my bag fitting indoors (studio environment using Foresight GC Quad) or outdoors on natural turf using Skytrac.  Which would you choose and why?

I'd do GC Quad since it captures more metrics about that actual club.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I'd do GC Quad since it captures more metrics about that actual club.  

I was wondering about that but honestly just not that familiar with pros/cons of the various LM systems.  

I agree the Quad will give much more data that will help your fitting and really the only downside for inside is the turf interaction, but data about the club is worth it.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

another vote for indoors. you eliminate all of the possible weather related variables. 

i’d hate to come away from my fitting doubting my numbers because i was hitting into a 10 yard hurting wind 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

If it was GCQuad or Trackman and outdoors, I would for sure pick outdoors. Want to see the turf interaction and real ballflight.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Id take the quad information over the other. too much of a difference. 

I like out doors just for the fact of being outdoors, sunshine and wind etc. Turf interaction is mental during a fitting. I get the idea of hitting of turf is more for when the ball is in a divot etc. however if you cant it well when the lie is perfect your expectation of needing turf to hit it when the ball is down is misplaced. 

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

45 minutes ago, McGolf said:

Id take the quad information over the other. too much of a difference. 

I like out doors just for the fact of being outdoors, sunshine and wind etc. Turf interaction is mental during a fitting. I get the idea of hitting of turf is more for when the ball is in a divot etc. however if you cant it well when the lie is perfect your expectation of needing turf to hit it when the ball is down is misplaced. 

What about hitting the ball fat? On mats, I can get away with hitting fat, with the shot looking decent, but on turf it would have been terrible.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

If LM was same it would be outdoors every time. I have a skytrack and wouldn't use it for a fitting. 

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What about hitting the ball fat? On mats, I can get away with hitting fat, with the shot looking decent, but on turf it would have been terrible.

You should be able to tell when you hit it fat. Whether it looks good on monitor doesn't matter. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

The GC quad measures where the ball hits the face; fat shots on mats will show higher on the face. It isn’t about getting away with it. You know you hit it fat and the numbers will show that you didn’t hit it well

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

The GC quad measures where the ball hits the face; fat shots on mats will show higher on the face. It isn’t about getting away with it. You know you hit it fat and the numbers will show that you didn’t hit it well

That makes sense. I guess I have never had a proper fitting that went into that level of detail. 

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

That makes sense. I guess I have never had a proper fitting that went into that level of detail. 

Not really a fitting thing;  it is knowing how to read things on launch monitors.  This is also an important skill.  

Skytrac outdoors?  I know it's possible, but I didn't think it was recommended.  Outdoors > Indoors, but GCQuad >>>>> Skytrac.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 12:36 PM, cnosil said:

So the TrueSpec Scottsdale is indoors and uses GC Quad.  The Phoenix location is outdoors and uses Trackman.  Both gather club face at contact data. In this comparison video, they both measure ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, and carry very closely one to the other.  However, AOA and club path seem to vary quite a bit. To the extent this plays into driving fitting specs, that's a wee bit concerning.  It begs the question "which is correct"?

Trackman 4 v GC Quad | Head to Head | American Golf - YouTube

I have the option of doing one or both fittings (woods & irons) at one or the other locations.  I'm thinking perhaps woods at the indoor studio and maybe the irons outdoors.  This may involve two different fitters; don't know for sure yet as I haven't spoken to them yet.  With this new info, what are your thoughts? Would you still opt for the indoor...one fitter, one LM system...?? 🤔

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

So the TrueSpec Scottsdale is indoors and uses GC Quad.  The Phoenix location is outdoors and uses Trackman.  Both gather club face at contact data. In this comparison video, they both measure ball speed, launch angle, spin rate, and carry very closely one to the other.  However, AOA and club path seem to vary quite a bit. To the extent this plays into driving fitting specs, that's a wee bit concerning.  It begs the question "which is correct"?

I have the option of doing one or both fittings (woods & irons) at one or the other locations.  I'm thinking perhaps woods at the indoor studio and maybe the irons outdoors.  This may involve two different fitters; don't know for sure yet as I haven't spoken to them yet.  With this new info, what are your thoughts? Would you still opt for the indoor...one fitter, one LM system...?? 🤔

Watched most of the video and I personally would still go Quad; it could be that I am saying that because I am more familiar with the quad and believe that it presents accurate information.   There are differences between both systems in how they measure data and they reading can be influenced by the club itself.   as the reviewer in the video said,  he would go quad.  

On 11/28/2020 at 10:20 AM, fixyurdivot said:

The AOA and path make sense that they would be different. The swing speed is likely different in the woods as well. This all stems from the fact that Trackman actually tracks the center of mass, not the club face (which is what Quad mentions). They have mentioned this on TXG videos before. This is also why driver smash on Trackman gets up to 1.50 or a bit more, but Quad is usually more like 1.42 to 1.45. Also I know spin can be temperamental at times with Trackman, it still is best if you put the dots on them though it reads without them (just know if any trackman measurements are italicized then it guessing a bit). I also would pick Quad still.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 11/2/2020 at 1:17 PM, dlow206 said:

Not all mats are created equal, I use fiber built which will take a fat shot, and it will been seen by the LM

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I spoke with the fitter who runs the outdoor facility in Phoenix and, based on my specifics, he is recommending doing both fittings at the indoor facility.  One of the key reasons is that I am not a heavy turf digger - doing fittings on real turf can be very important for those who throw heavy chunks of sod.  The other reason is that part of my interest in this fitting is to see just how well my first ever LM fittings were done back in 2018/19.  Since those were also done on GC Quad, it will be a better data comparison. 

Both fittings are scheduled the week after next... really looking forward to it.  Thanks for the input everyone!