Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Play through? Forgotten Etiquette?

When did letting people "play through" go by way of the dodo?

Played today and it was my second straight round with a 3 hour back 9.  Today, I was in a 2 player group catching a 4 player group at the tee for 8 straight holes.  No group in front of them.  I asked if we could play through and was told no.  The reason they face was, it would disrupt the flow of their round.

Am I remembering golf etiquette wrong?

Should I have just hit upon them and forced the issue?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

Wedges: :vokey-small: Titleist Vokey SM8 54°, 58° - Shaft: (Stock) Wedge Flex

Putter:  :scotty-small: Scotty Cameron X12, length 34"

:Clicgear: Rovic RV1S

Played today and it was my second straight round with a 3 hour back 9.  Today, I was in a 2 player group catching a 4 player group at the tee for 8 straight holes.  No group in front of them.  I asked if we could play through and was told no.  The reason they face was, it would disrupt the flow of their round.

This is what Bluetooth speakers are made for: see how AC/DC blaring from your cart on every tee box treats them...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

4 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I play about a quarter of my rounds by myself, and at the public course I'm usually playing, groups will let me through about 75% of the time.  Most of the time I'm walking, so skipping ahead isn't an option.  But if I go out by myself and I know I'm going to wait, I'll take a cart so I can skip around to open holes if I run into someone in that 25%.

People have told me that they won't let me through because they're also being held up, which is semi-legitimate.  Interrupting the "flow" of someone's round is absurd.  I hope you laughed at them for that weak sauce.

When walking I've been let through after the guys hit their tee shots a few times and also teed off with them a few times. I've pulled away from a few groups that let me through when walking also probably because I average 3 hour rounds while walking.

When the holdup is somewhere far ahead, playing through is pointless. I’d tell someone behind me no too if I can’t see an opening ahead. If you’re waiting on me, it’s because there are several groups stacked up ahead.

But if there’s an opening, they should let you through without asking. If someone didn’t let me through, I’d go around them under most circumstances (not in a tournament or round that counted for something). I’ve even skipped 2-3 holes ahead and gone back to play the skipped holes later when conditions and course layout permitted.

Sometimes its beginners who don’t know any better, and you ask nicely, they’ll oblige no problem. There are a lot of self taught players who don’t know all the rules or (traditional) etiquette. Etiquette, golf or in general, is NOT what it used to be...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I wouldn’t care and would just drive ahead of them. 17 holes instead of 18? No big deal, especially for the peace-of-mind.

I agree that jumping ahead is an option but is it the right thing.  Maybe having the mindset "they can just jump ahead" is what's caused the change in etiquette?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik Max 9° neutral weight setting - Shaft: Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60S, length 44.75"

Wood:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 3 wood 13° - Shaft: (Stock) Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: Cobra King SZ 19°-21° - Shaft: (Stock) UST Recoil 480 ESX F4

Irons: :cobra-small: 5-PW Cobra King SZ - Shaft: Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105

8 hours ago, Micah T said:

This is what Bluetooth speakers are made for: see how AC/DC blaring from your cart on every tee box treats them...

if it wasn't for my speaker i would have lost my mind.  I played tee box games with my playing partner which also helps.

As the years have went on public courses have gotten worse with this IMO. This is probably one of the main reasons I prefer to play on base and have been trying to talk my lady boss into letting me get a membership at the local public/private course. I've never hit down on someone on purpose, but I have call the club house after letting them get to the green before teeing off again and catching back up to them a hole later. I average a 4 hour round normally, don't waste time looking for a ball if it happens to go way right, and will always let groups play through if there is somewhere for them to go. I do tell them if they can't before they ask that I'd let you play though but there is a group in front of us that we are waiting on.  

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

@Urbs_Valhalla in my area, the problem, as many have stated, is that there are no gaps. However, you explained there was so, I would first ask, then tell, and lastly call the course if they would not comply. 

Ask: "I see there's a Gap in front of you, can we play through?"

Tell: "We are playing faster than you so, golf etiquette states if there is a gap you are obliged to let us play through. We will be out of sight in no time." As I walk up to the tee and tee off.

Lastly, if there are no gaps, slow play is the only culprit, I take advantage of the extra time by playing extra approach shots, practice bunker shots, play a few extra putts, as long as I keep pace with the group in front of me.

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

If there are open holes ahead and I'm with a group and a single or twosome pulls up, I will always let them play through. In the OP's situation I would call the pro shop and let them know about the situation. Then if they were not going to come out and address the problem, I would wait until they teed off and then drive ahead of them anyway. If they then started giving me lip as I drove past (depending on the lip I got) I would leave the flag out the hole on the next green. OOPS!  

But you know If the course is packed and there are no open holes there is nowhere to go. Just sit back and enjoy the day as best you can.  Playing as a single a lot I always catch up to people and typically they either waive me up, let me play through, or invite me to play with them. I typically play 18 in 2-1/4 hours, but that is on a private course with little play and members with etiquette.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, jb0330 said:

As the years have went on public courses have gotten worse with this IMO. This is probably one of the main reasons I prefer to play on base and have been trying to talk my lady boss into letting me get a membership at the local public/private course. I've never hit down on someone on purpose, but I have call the club house after letting them get to the green before teeing off again and catching back up to them a hole later. I average a 4 hour round normally, don't waste time looking for a ball if it happens to go way right, and will always let groups play through if there is somewhere for them to go. I do tell them if they can't before they ask that I'd let you play though but there is a group in front of us that we are waiting on.  

What course have you been looking at joining?  I've been looking into Hawthorne Country Club by me.

What course have you been looking at joining?  I've been looking into Hawthorne Country Club by me.

Brenton Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

7 minutes ago, jb0330 said:

Brenton Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Send me a text with what their membership dues look like.

I've had this happen to me more times than not. Last weekend I had a foursome in front of me that wouldn't let me play through and there was a huge gap. I caught them on 8 and had to sit behind them for the remaining of the round. When I got up to them on 10 I politely asked to play through and got a no. I'm seeing it more with the young crowd, which is upsetting because I fall into the same category. I do think the Marshal should do more about this. 

Edited by DevilDog29
  • Driver-:titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W- :cobra-small:Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*
  • 3H-:cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4)
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56*-:taylormade-small: MG3
  • 60*-:vokey-small: SM8
  • Putter-:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"
  • Ball- ProV1X :titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS
  • Range Finder- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue
  • Spikes-:nike-small:,:footjoy-small:,:cobra-small:

3 hours ago, Middler said:

When the holdup is somewhere far ahead, playing through is pointless. I’d tell someone behind me no too if I can’t see an opening ahead. If you’re waiting on me, it’s because there are several groups stacked up ahead.

But if there’s an opening, they should let you through without asking. If someone didn’t let me through, I’d go around them under most circumstances (not in a tournament or round that counted for something). I’ve even skipped 2-3 holes ahead and gone back to play the skipped holes later when conditions and course layout permitted.

Sometimes its beginners who don’t know any better, and you ask nicely, they’ll oblige no problem. There are a lot of self taught players who don’t know all the rules or (traditional) etiquette. Etiquette, golf or in general, is NOT what it used to be...

This is what I've found. With Covid, a lot of courses have increased demand and are shortening gaps between tee times. So you have a lot of newer players AND a lot more players as a whole. Combined, you get a lot of backed up play where there's no room to play through. 

Case in point, this past weekend four groups were backed up on a single tee box because two groups of beginners were clogging up the next two holes. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I run into this a lot. We are walking, and people think we can't keep up.

We get right on the tail of a group of 2 or 4 ( in carts), with 3 empty holes in front of them.

A lot of times they just keep looking back and take their time.

The course owner doesn't care because he makes more money off of the guys with a cart.

Can't wait til the new course opens up.

They had marshals before that stopped slow play.

Edited by Jackal

Always chasing different clubs

Maybe when I retire I'll volunteer to become the fun police.

image.png.a57eaff85a32838fc6fd8dec2871ca34.png

Totally poor etiquette & a stupid response. As others have said, once they all hit their Tee balls I would have driven past them and started on the next hole. I would have also mentioned it at the club house on my way out.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

17 hours ago, Urbs_Valhalla said:

I would say, call the clubhouse and ask for a ranger to come by, our courses are pretty good about asking the slow groups to let people play through, specially when the flow of the group ahead is running like molasses.

Our scramble last Sunday was particularly painful as the group in front of us was very slow playing the back nine, at some point there were a total 3 groups, 12 people, us and 10 more waiting on the par 5 12th hole tee box, so they could hit into the green from 350+ yards, that was the 3rd shot for them, so I was willing to bet that none would hit the green from the rough they were sitting in.

unfortunately being a competition we could not skip a hole, but the ranger did give them a warning after a couple of holes to pick up the pace.

Edited by xOldBenKenobiX

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

We play a public course and slow play can be a real issue. Mind you there would be no benefit in calling us through and you would just get stuck behind the next group.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

People say that you should play at your own pace and enjoy the game but if that pace is causing other people issue you step aside and let them play thru.

Since retiring I play a lot of singles golf at the club and I realise that I will be held up so if there is no one behind me I don't push the group in front. I will finish the hole then have some practise putts or chips until I go on the tee.  If the group are aware they will wave me thru I thank them and move promptly on. The guys I usually have problems with are the older guys who still hold onto the etiquette of the 1980s "Singles have no standing on the course". Saying that at the club a 4 hour plus round is very rare.  When the course is stacked  you don't have much option but to suck it up. When this is the case then I will normally cut my round short.

My worse experience was when I played in the States in Rancho Bernardo just outside San Diego. There was a ladies 4-ball competition on and it was 3 hours for the front 9. At 10 the Marshal ended up shuttling me around the course looking for a gap for me to play. I can't remember the order I played the back 9 in but 10 and 11 were my last holes just before dusk. But I didn't expect to be let thru the Marshal seemed more concerned than me.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

Lots of assholes out there. No reason not to let a 2 ball play through. I ran into a similar situation playing as a single walking behind a 2 in carts. I just kept the pressing them and asking them what was taking so long every t box. Eventually they gave up and let me through. I would never hit up into a group but definitely will be vocal!!

6 hours ago, xOldBenKenobiX said:

I would say, call the clubhouse and ask for a ranger to come by, our courses are pretty good about asking the slow groups to let people play through, specially when the flow of the group ahead is running like molasses.

You're lucky that your local courses have rangers.  Very few courses around here bother with rangers anymore.  Not even volunteers.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, djahubes said:

Lots of assholes out there. No reason not to let a 2 ball play through. I ran into a similar situation playing as a single walking behind a 2 in carts. I just kept the pressing them and asking them what was taking so long every t box. Eventually they gave up and let me through. I would never hit up into a group but definitely will be vocal!!

I don't understand the mentality of some people. If I'm out in a group and someone comes up behind and we are holding them up I will always look to let them thru, if there is space. I'm not a slow player (in my own head) and don't like rushing round a course. If you let them thru, you can play at your own pace and enjoy the day. 

Sometimes it is a testosterone driven thing.

One other anecdote playing with my son and flatmate, ex-marine and rugby player. On the 3rd, short downhill par 4 (320 yds) we are putting and the 3 ball behind drive ball pitches in the greenside bunker, 4th hole 470 yds par 5 on the green putting the guys behind playing their 2nd shots again ball runs on the front, I gesture to the group behind indicating that they are playing right up our backs. 5th hole 290 yd par 4, closest yet, ball pitches 1st bounce on the green.  We stop at the 6th and wait for them to let them play thru, 1st guy comes up having lost his ball. And I politely say would he like to play thru and he declines. I then point out that I want them to play thru since they have nearly hit us 3 times and he takes offence and start arguing with me. Meanwhile my sons friend is whispering in my ear "can I just hit him, we can take them, can I just hit him, please". Anyway he went back to his mates and we didn't see them again for the round. 

I pointed out to Gregg that if he hit him he would get banned and so would I so maybe not the best course of action.

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

1 hour ago, Alf. S said:

I don't understand the mentality of some people. If I'm out in a group and someone comes up behind and we are holding them up I will always look to let them thru, if there is space. I'm not a slow player (in my own head) and don't like rushing round a course. If you let them thru, you can play at your own pace and enjoy the day. 

having a group up your ass is the worst, i couldn’t agree more. 

it makes for a really stressful round, which is kind of the opposite of the point 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

You're lucky that your local courses have rangers.  Very few courses around here bother with rangers anymore.  Not even volunteers.

On our courses the rangers used to be a couple of part time older gentlemen, now it seems they are rotating everyone else during busy times to act as a ranger, at least most days there is someone out there trying to keep pace of play.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg