TESTERS WANTED! ×

Play through? Forgotten Etiquette?

No rangers in my neck of the woods. You have to call the pro shop and hopefully someone will come out. But for the most part this situation does not happen very often in my area.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

As a single I play very fast. I even play with three guys who are caddies and we can get nine done in about an hour, walking. More people refuse to let us play through than do. 

I was playing as a single one day, and waited on guys at every tee box, and they refused to let me play through. They had open holes in front and even tried to start small talk with me after hitting their shots instead of walking to their ball. I've also had groups that only will let you through when they can tell they're being watched by the marshals, which tells me they know they're doing something wrong. 

I keep seeing "its the young guys who don't know about etiquette" or "the old guys who are playing 80's rules" or whatever the reasoning is. I've been held up by old farts and young punks, but it almost feels like the OK Boomer mentality is taking over the game. The game isn't growing because it's like literally everything in life: change is hard for humans and no one wants to let go of the traditions they're used to. Young guys that get drunk and listen to music are an abomination to the traditional crowd, and the young disrespectful punks don't want to wait for a gaggle of geezers waiting for the farthest out to hit his 80 yard 3 wood. 

The pros aren't doing anything to model behavior with their 5 hour rounds and yelling at the camera people. Maybe this is the direction the game is going, like society in general. Me first and not in my backyard. I'm not sure how to change it, but the solution is in every player's response rather than their reaction. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

On 10/28/2020 at 7:52 PM, Micah T said:

This is what Bluetooth speakers are made for: see how AC/DC blaring from your cart on every tee box treats them...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Haha this funny. 

Is it that there aren't marshalls any more? Are they only employed by private clubs?

Anyway, I've defiantly noticed the zombie, types, oblivious to what's going on around them, let alone behind them. They also share the mentality that their round will be disrupted if they let you through. Sorta like the dh In the fast lane on the freeway. "Ima tax payer driver". 

So, yeah the solution, I guess, is to go around them, middle finger out. Kidding. 

Then there's the other type. These rockstars zip by you, while you're on the green and proceed to tee off . They're awesome, until they realize there's a group right in front of them. "Eff it, they're going for it." This is probably the twosome with a speaker, who have now created an awkward situation as they drive off while you pull up to the tee box.

My solution would be to have the starter as well as messages, signs and a plane flying over prompting you to let faster players through. There's a balance to this though and it can be tricky for some, especially when they're faced with multiple groups in front of them. 

Edited by nofives

Titliest TSi 3

Sub 70 3 Tour

Titliest Ap2

Cameron Newport 2 @ 2008 model. 

I honestly don't recall a group ever not allowing me to play through before. The last time I was out, we allowed a twosome through on a par 5, and a few months back a foursome let me and my buddy through without us even asking. When I'm out with my son, we're always conscious of openings in front of us in case there's anyone coming up from behind. Some people are just aware of their surroundings and other people I guess, while other people are not.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Assuming the group in front of you isn't waiting on someone in front of them, and they won't let you play through, and the round counts towards your handicap or course record...there's always the option of putting it in there back pocket. I always make sure it's done safe if I find myself in that position. Play ready golf, and as soon as they get off the green hit the approach shot. As soon as they are out of range hit the tee shot. Call me a liar, but I try to passify the situation by saying something like "wow, that was the shot of my life, never thought I could hit it that far".

Eventually they'll either get the drift you're waiting on them, let you join, you're close enough to ask to play through, or the rare occasion of them being angry and yell for hitting into them. I've only been yelled at once in 30 years, the rest of the time it starts a decent conversation or very friendly apology for not letting me play through earlier.

It's 90% Mental

On 10/28/2020 at 8:07 PM, Urbs_Valhalla said:

When did letting people "play through" go by way of the dodo?

Played today and it was my second straight round with a 3 hour back 9.  Today, I was in a 2 player group catching a 4 player group at the tee for 8 straight holes.  No group in front of them.  I asked if we could play through and was told no.  The reason they face was, it would disrupt the flow of their round.

Am I remembering golf etiquette wrong?

Should I have just hit upon them and forced the issue?

In answer to your questions; no, I don't think it's a lost form of golf etiquette - yet, and no, I don't advise hitting up on people.  It's been my experience that at least 90% of groups who are playing slow, and have a hole plus ahead of them open, let the group behind play through. Playing through only really works if the course isn't jugged up anyway.  Often, groups will slow down a whisker so as not to be standing at the tee waiting. Well marshalled courses, as a general rule, keep the need to "play through" unnecessary... now well marshalled courses are indeed going by way of the Dodo Bird.

As for hitting up on groups to push them along... bad idea. That's about the only situation that brought me close to an altercation on a golf course. It's a stupid move when done on purpose.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Have reviewed several post in this thread. Agree with  most as its just rude to hold others up. But I think a lot this starts in the club house. When the golfer and/or group checks in they should be reminded whether verbal or signs posted that slow play is to be avoided if at all possible. And to let others play through. Not all courses have marshals to enforce and keep checks on pace of play.

I have witnessed some golfers threaten the pro-shop people that they will take their business elsewhere and no one challenges them. IF it were my course I would tell them to leave or play with etiquette and respect for others. And I would call BS on their threats to do business elsewhere. If they come once they will be back again or they would not have been there in first place. I would rather run a business/course with high standards and demand respect from all than foolishly take money from a few that will ruin the day for the rest of the golfers that do play with respect to others.

Lastly I do tend to hold on the view that a single has no standing but with caveats -- time of day that round occurs and possibly high traffic days when course is full. Truth is when you mix singles with groups of 3-5 then you always can have pace of play challenges. Courses can do their part by managing times for both a little better. And I play fast and to lower hdcp but know there are days/times its not conducive for me to play as a single. Either I pair up or practice -- choice is mine. Just my views and experience from 40+ years playing. 

On 10/29/2020 at 8:40 AM, PMookie said:

No, modern rudeness caused it. I was taught golf etiquette back when I was a kid, in the 70s. I learned from my father what proper etiquette in golf was. Today, kids aren’t learning from their parent, especially if they weren’t raised playing golf. Add to this the music on course, the drunken videos destroying carts and property, etc and there is more to do with current society than someone just driving past. 

... While I think most of us have run across younger players lost in their 10 foot bubble with zero awareness of people outside their phone/group, don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Playing as a single I have been paired up with quite a few younger players that are respectful of the game and those playing the game. "Kids today" is something I said I would never embrace after hearing it when I was a kid so just remember we see/hear the obvious inconsiderate younger players blasting music, riding carts next to the green and tee box or playing insanely slow because they are unaware that anyone els is on the course. But the ones that are respectful go without notice unless you are playing with them, but they are out there. 

... I almost always play twilte or later in the day and yesterday it was 20+ mph winds but sunny and 58* so not bad with a stocking cap and lightweight jacket. But we ere behind a group of 2 couples in their 50's and 60's that were keeping up close enough but slowed down on the last 3 holes. 18 is a par 5 and completely open as the sun was setting and getting dark and it was much colder. We were walking off 17 as they left the tee box with a 3 some waiting and they took their sweet time, several practice swings, talking instead of hitting and moving, so older folks can be pretty self centered too. The only saving grace was the 20+ wind was at our backs so I was able to reach the fringe in 2 with my DHy and had my only birdie with barely enough light to see the putt. 🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

So I previously posted that it never happened to me. So this morning I pull into the golf club parking lot and there is a foresome loading up. I get out of my car, put my shoes on, grab my clubs and head over toward the pro shop. One guy take off in his cart flies over to the first tee and tees it up.  The rest of the group are still in the parking lot. I hit two warm up balls on the range. (Which is right next to the first tee). I look over and the guy is still standing there protecting his spot. I just laughed, got in my cart and teed off on three. I finished up on 18 then played 1 and 2. Finished up and their group was just coming off of 9 heading toward the 10th tee.  Keep in mind that the course is empty. Five cars in the parking lot at 9:30 am.  Was it really that important to want to get out ahead of a single?

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

So I previously posted that it never happened to me. So this morning I pull into the golf club parking lot and there is a foresome loading up. I get out of my car, put my shoes on, grab my clubs and head over toward the pro shop. One guy take off in his cart flies over to the first tee and tees it up.  The rest of the group are still in the parking lot. I hit two warm up balls on the range. (Which is right next to the first tee). I look over and the guy is still standing there protecting his spot. I just laughed, got in my cart and teed off on three. I finished up on 18 then played 1 and 2. Finished up and their group was just coming off of 9 heading toward the 10th tee.  Keep in mind that the course is empty. Five cars in the parking lot at 9:30 am.  Was it really that important to want to get out ahead of a single?

That is just ridiculous. I could even see someone just teeing up right next to him, the spot holder, and wait for him to boil over. 

You did it with much more consideration and gentlemanly. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg