TESTERS WANTED! ×

Does iron shaft launch make a difference?

I am playing a set of mp18 MB with the NS Pro 950 GH (a classified high launch and high spin shaft when i did my research) i like the feel of it and the control i get with it. However the ball flight seems really high for my liking and i think im loosing a fair bit of distance in my irons. I have my eyes on some "lower launching" shaft such as the KBS tour 90. Should i switch to a lower launching shaft? And if so what should i go with? Thanks for your helps. 

Honma TW747 at 10,5 deg w 50gr SR shaft

Taylormade M6 3 wood w stock S shaft

Titleist U500 2iron hzrdus 6.0

Mizuno MP 18 MB with KBS Tour 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Coronado.

Height especially to high is a perception issue and most people don’t hit it high enough.  With that there’s several variables that go along with it.  The information needed to answer the question is peak height, launch angle, descent or land angle depending on the launch monitor, ball speed. angle of attack.

Without that information it’s all a guess by anyone on whether you are hitting to high and losing distance as a result of the height and if a lower spin and launch shaft would change anything.  The amount of spin and height a shaft changes isn’t as significant and many think 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

To add to the above just because a shaft is considered high or low launching doesn’t mean it will be that way for you. Also there is no standardization in the industry to indicate what high means or what high is being compared against.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

@LouisBao I have wondered the very same thing. But, the two shafts you mentioned are very close in launch Nippon - High, KBS - Mid/High. I have found that trying to find a lighter weight and lower launching shaft is like a 🦄 unicorn. 

There are so many dynamic measurements that just one piece, the shaft, is only a portion of the puzzle. How you deliver the loft - dynamic loft, impact location - high/low, swing speed, angle of attack, club face open/closed, etc all can negate the shaft performance. 

Get fit, get lessons, or just try one shaft and see. 

Questions I would think about: would a heavier shaft help lower dynamic loft, can I lower the flight by altering swing delivery, if I launch it lower would it still perform well upon landing or run out too much, would a stiff flex or R+ have lower launch, and lastly, am I the reason it launches high no matter what shaft I use?

Have fun and enjoy the journey. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

I was playing the KBs Tours (Mid/High) Launch in my previous set, thought I moon balled them.  The current set has the C Tapers...(low launch) unnoticeable difference in height for me.  I’m sure the land angle and all that is different.  I found that maybe... maybe when I started hitting the C Tapers they were lower... then I adjusted my swing to get them up more... just a theory I have.  I am just so used to seeing the ball in the stratosphere that I unknowingly changed my swing to make the lower shaft go higher...?

Funny enough, this was one of my main concerns in my recent fitting. 

Previously, I played the Callaway X-Forged irons with KBS C-Taper 120 shafts.  I felt as though I shot them straight to the moon.  When I moved on to the Mizuno 919's I actually went with the Nippon 105 shafts.  Thinking that I was still hitting them through the stratosphere.  I was sure that the shafts were my issue. 

When I went in for my re-fit with 2nd swing to ensure shafts, lies and lofts along with gapping were all on I was quite shocked to learn that my perceptions of ball flight were actually way off.  What I thought was to the moon ended up being 95ft peak height for my 7 iron.  The KBS was 105ft.  From what the fitter told me, these numbers are well within standard deviation of what they would aim to see. 

Where I happened to see as issues was more a result of spin and swing than anything else.  The total package and combo of head, shaft, speed along with the angle of attack, swing path, delivered loft etc all combine into what we see.  That's an obvious statement, to be sure. 

So I suppose what I'm getting at here is that Iron Shafts are but a small component of the end result.  Low Spin or Low Launch for one person might not necessarily do that for another.  Guess that's why it is absolutely imperative to get a fitting and have a trained professional lay out the numbers for you to see what really is going on. 

Hit-em well though.   

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

What ball are you using as a high spin rate will cause a high ball flight. I would suggest going to your local pro shop or range and trying a similar lofted club with a different shaft. BTW I hit a high ball and I found the little difference between shafts when I was getting fitted.

Edited by Firebird

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Generally speaking, irons shafts aren't going to have the same level of impact on the ball flight light a driver/FW wood shaft. Steel iron shafts (regardless of flex) don't really flex much during the swing and don't add very much dynamic loft for those with normal human swing speeds. That is not to say they don't make a difference but I have yet to find a steel iron shaft (reg or stiffer) that significantly increases or decreases the ball flight. I've found one of the biggest things to get right is the steel iron shaft's weight. Shafts that are too light or heavy adversely affect tempo and swing speed. The change in tempo is probably more likely to impact shot height than iron flex. The other factor is how the swing weight of the club (how heavy the head feels) impacts the way you swing. If you want to play around with swing weight, purchase some lead tape and put it on the bottom of your one of your irons to test if a change in swing weight and feel affects your ball flight. Lead tape comes off easily and will not damage the club head. 

Edited by Kansas King