Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Golf ComPany-VKTR+, UiHi and GS53 FW

Golfspy_CG2

Alright, question for the Utility testers... who's coming from being a Hybrid user?  I've really interested to see how guys feel the Utility works vs the Hybrid for Tee, fairway, rough, etc.  Really hoping to see if they're as versatile as a Hybrid, but with a bit less hook in them.  
Also, good luck with the tests!   

I am coming from a 3H, I bought into the hype when they first came out and I couldn’t hit long irons to save my life back then. Not saying they aren’t good. I already switched my 4H when I got a new set and yes I do miss it sometimes but I have a kinda high ball flight so the ones I have used kind of ballon on me. Now I haven’t used a utility iron before so I am hoping and praying a little that this is what my game needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

I have a hybrid that works well off the Tee, but I struggle anywhere else. I am hoping the utility iron will work better for my swing. Especially the rough. I seem to spend a bit if time there.

Alright, question for the Utility testers... who's coming from being a Hybrid user?  I've really interested to see how guys feel the Utility works vs the Hybrid for Tee, fairway, rough, etc.  Really hoping to see if they're as versatile as a Hybrid, but with a bit less hook in them.  
Also, good luck with the tests!   

Sent from my SM-A102U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Testing UiHi 18*

First time review here, so first and foremost I would like to thank MGS and Ben Hogan for this opportunity!! I am very excited to be apart of this effort and look forward to answering as many question that I can get to before the other testers. 

A little about me. I started golfing around age 11 and I was taught by my father, whom was self taught. So I got all his bad swing habits, lol or that was my excuse for years. I am a very competitive person which because of how bad I was at Golf and the cost it was always a leisure activity I would do with friends and family here and there. I grew up an baseball player which at times like to pop its head into my swing and I will hit a frozen rope down the third base line off the tee lol. As my tag shows I am a Veteran. I served in the US Air Force as a Security Forces member for 6 years on Active Duty and 8 years in the Air Guard. I spent just over 4 years deployed to the fun areas, I joke with my friends mostly the non-Air Force guys/gals that of the 7 deployments only 4 of them were "Air Force" ones the others I was Army in the wrong BDU/ABUs. I will happily take the jokes about the Air Force as rough as my "non-AF" deployments were home station was great so I can't complain. 

I have had some issues with "normal" life over the years and the AF and VA had me medicated for really bad anxiety and panic attacks that only happen home station. I am only mentioning this up because my brother in law had got me to start Golfing more when I first got out back in 2008 and Golf has done more for me mentally than any Dr or drug they have offered me. Golf keeps me level, doesn't matter how good or bad I play. There are times when I am having a rough week and I will walk in the house and my clubs will be waiting for me by the front door. This is my wife's nice way of telling me I am being a jerk, go reset at the course. 

I am married to an amazing women and together we have 5 children. 1 girl and 4 boys, she brought a girl and boy, I brought two boys, and we have a boy together.  Age range are 16, 15, 12, 10, and 5. 

Back in 08 I was probably a 30 handicap, two years ago I was down to a 12 but I am back up to a 16 this year. My swing has changed over the years and this year it has switch back to an issue I was dealing with years ago. I am looking to actual fix it vs the band-aid fix that fell off over the last winter. lol

All in all I am really excited to be a part of this test. It fits right into an area that of my game/bag that needs a change.

Edited by jb0330

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

2 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

Greeting MGS family, and Thank You Ben Hogan Golf.  I’m somewhat know around this forum, but for those who may be new, I’m Tim (Kardboard.kid).  The name is a play on my profession.  I’m a Corrugated packaging designer. Here are a couple of things I’ve done with our local science museum, and the State Fair Technologies Booth. 

IMG_20170728_084525115.jpg.30fd56909786499381be27a9b8ee6cbb.jpg

DSCN4185.JPG.d5887f9f9641a501b6273ae1c0b73ff6.JPG

Here is also a picture of my daughter and I scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef.

198.JPG.4e1d7ae2fb01c6d732bf7d718cb6b201.JPG

I was one of those part-time golfers for years, and only started digging into the game the last 10 or so years. I’ve been fit for my irons, and have had the opportunity to test a few products as well.  The biggest take I can give anyone is this, if you don’t love the game, you wont ever improve.  This is one of those sports that requires constant learning, testing, and practicing.  What really changed my attitude? I was tired of being the one everyone had to wait on.  Hearing those words, “it’s OK, take your time”, “No, it’s no biggie, we have all day”. “A bad day on the course beats a good day in the office”.  I could go on, and on.  I started reading books about golf, watching U-Tube training videos, spending time on the driving range, and meeting with instructors.  Most were not professional, but accomplished golfers in their own right.  I would take the good that worked for me and ignored what didn’t.  I have no illusion I will be playing on the tour, or ever play competitive.  My biggest desire is to play well, enjoy what I am doing and with those whom I am playing with. 

For me golf is therapeutic.  I enjoy the outdoors, with all the sights and smells.  What better place to find that little piece of heaven.  Since I have been working on different parts of my game it is now time to look at the area between the driver and the 150 range.  Currently I struggle with the 220- 180 range into the green. That’s where I give up stokes on the course.  Having the chance to trial the 3I I feel, and hope will fill that gap for me, and put me in a position of reaching my goal to play consistently in the 80’s.  I have brought my game down to the 90’s in the last year and half, so I think it is a reasonable thought.

I am truly excited to bt of this very large test group, and look forward to providing you with a review that will aid in your own game improvement.

I am in Philly area .. a local radio show does the cardboard classic .. this is right up your alley 

https://wmmr.com/tag/cardboard-classic/

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

Testing UiHi 18*

Greetings from Gilbert, Arizona! Again, so excited for this review process and grateful to Hogan and MGS.

I'm 35 years old. Father of 2. Currently working as an IT Engineer in the aviation industry.

az.jpg.389e70d6ca0bee87a21d112944fb532c.jpg

I am a newish member here to the forums, but a long-time lurker to the site. As an engineer, I’ve always been drawn to the testing processes and data collection at MGS. In fact, I owe my first golf buying decision to MGS. I picked this game up in 2012. I had recently graduated college, and was a newlywed paying off two set of student loans, just picked up two new car loans - all the fun stuff in life. I was looking to buy a cheaper set of irons and found MGS and several great reviews and testing analysis of the Cobra S3 irons.  The Amp line had just come out, and the S3’s were heavily reduced, and that was all of the convincing I needed. Still have those in the backup bag.

Until recently, I played golf very casually. Just a handful of times a year. Company tournaments, a couple of outings with the lads. Took a trip to Bandon in 2016. But never took it to serious. I had never threatened 90. Breaking 100 and having a few beers was a mighty success.

May 2019, I moved from Oregon to Arizona and decided that I was going to actually try to improve at this game. Started playing twice a month. Started going to the practice greens 3 times a week to work on chipping and putting. Really immersed myself in online instruction and forums. Picked up some newer equipment. And the scores started dropping. 95, 90, 85, 80. My right now I feel like I sort of hit a wall as a 5-6 handicap. I just had my first lesson a few weeks ago. A driver fitting is in the near future. So we’ll see what happens.

1179060006_3(2).jpg.f918cca3827f217ab43a60a31671026b.jpg

It's peak season in Arizona now, and I can’t wait to get this Hogan UiHi in hand and out on the course. I am constantly tinkering with my bag and nothing is safe. So this should be a fun and fair test. Anything long and straight off the tee has a legitimate chance to be my new best friend. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

good Lord! there are so many of you its impossible to know who is swinging what..

Please everyone_ At the start of your posts, please write which club your talking about!!!!

now, as some of you my know, Im a PtxPro combo tester, and also a 4UiHi user, and currently testing against the PtxPro 4 iron_ they're both great. Anyways, lets see some good work guys, and gitter done!

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

12 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

good Lord! there are so many of you its impossible to know who is swinging what..

Please everyone_ At the start of your posts, please write which club your talking about!!!!

now, as some of you my know, Im a PtxPro combo tester, and also a 4UiHi user, and currently testing against the PtxPro 4 iron_ they're both great. Anyways, lets see some good work guys, and gitter done!

That is a great thought.

Thanks,

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

12 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Makes sense to me. Going to update my signature as well.  

⬇️

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

For my fellow VKTR+ Hybrid testers, what are you looking for out of the club in terms of ball flight? I know a lot of hybrids are great for getting the ball in the air, but they often balloon for me so i'll be looking for a more controlled launch out of the VKTR+.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors

1 hour ago, TCUFrog said:

For my fellow VKTR+ Hybrid testers, what are you looking for out of the club in terms of ball flight? I know a lot of hybrids are great for getting the ball in the air, but they often balloon for me so i'll be looking for a more controlled launch out of the VKTR+.

I'm looking for nearly as high as possible, and not going left. In general I'd like to hit every club higher (and I'm getting there), but hybrids in general have never worked well for me. I asked for the hybrid here in that hope that all golfers have.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

On 11/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, TCUFrog said:

On 11/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, Siamese Moose said:

I'm looking for nearly as high as possible, and not going left. In general I'd like to hit every club higher (and I'm getting there), but hybrids in general have never worked well for me. I asked for the hybrid here in that hope that all golfers have.

I'm also looking for a nice high ball flight. Even when I hit my long irons and current hybrid well, they tend to not be very high and roll out a lot which makes hit hard to hold greens and judge distance. 

Looks like there are some varied expectations out of the VKTR+ hybrid. Which I am sure is normal for any club, but especially a hybrid, and especially at that low of a loft.

I'm looking forward to seeing some comparison pictures of the hybrid. It looks somewhat compact, and has a very Adamsy/Apex look to it. I quite like the high toe. Very iron like. But probably doesnt have the lowest, deepest center of gravity. Especially with 18* of loft, I',m not expecting a high ball flight out of this. Been wrong before, but it looks like it would have a very penetrating flight, but with controllable spin. I'd hope for similar distances time and time again. So maybe not a max distance hybrid where you get that high launch low spin bomb when you catch it right, but a solid club hitting certain distances into greens on par 5s, off the tee on short or tight par 4s. And maybe that occasional long par 3 where you need distance and stopping power. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

On 11/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, TCUFrog said:

I hit my 3 hybrid now mid/high ball flight with a reg flex shaft .. the one I am testing is a stiff flex so I will prob hit mid flight .. I usually dont have any problem with getting the ball flight mid to high but I also been playing my current hybrid for 8-9 years so I will be interested to see if there are any changes from the two hybrids head to head. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

I have now had UPS send me 4 notifications that a package was coming. Got very excited and yelled out “I think the Hybrid is coming tomorrow.” Only to be disappointed to hear in response “Oh that’s *insert home item* that I ordered” from my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Vice Golf Pro Plus

2 hours ago, TCUFrog said:

I have now had UPS send me 4 notifications that a package was coming. Got very excited and yelled out “I think the Hybrid is coming tomorrow.” Only to be disappointed to hear in response “Oh that’s *insert home item* that I ordered” from my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

🤣🤣 I'm in the same boat. Every time I login and see a new package I get excited but then I look at the details and it's always coming from the wrong place.

I got a FedEx tracking update yesterday morning and got excited......then I realized it was for a TSi2 driver. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 minute ago, Shank Aaron said:

I got a FedEx tracking update yesterday morning and got excited......then I realized it was for a TSi2 driver. 

giphy.gif.daa8b46dcc12be12508f542541f384e6.gif

Vice Golf Pro Plus

On 11/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, TCUFrog said:

I'd like a higher ball flight with some consistency. Not in the ways of forgiveness, but more along the lines of consistency on different lies. Tee box, rough, fairway, etc. I launch my Sub 70 on the low side off the fairway, but off the tee, or the rough its really a coin flip for me on the launch. 

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

@TCUFrog You still doing the one club challenge ? 

3 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

I am planning on it. Should be interesting. I might play 2 balls and compare a one club challenge with the VKTR+ and my current gamer. 

Vice Golf Pro Plus

Just now, TCUFrog said:

I am planning on it. Should be interesting. I might play 2 balls and compare a one club challenge with the VKTR+ and my current gamer. 

I am in for this .. good idea .. my current gamer I had forever so its my go to club .. I can't wait to see how the BH compares to it . 

55 minutes ago, Nolan220 said:

Club challenge? Do explain....and crayon that s**t for me.

6 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

Club challenge? Do explain....and crayon that s**t for me.

Play an entire round with only the hybrid. A little one club challenge. Based on daylight restrictions right now, it'll probably just be 9 holes.

Vice Golf Pro Plus

33 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

Play an entire round with only the hybrid. A little one club challenge. Based on daylight restrictions right now, it'll probably just be 9 holes.

I was thinking maybe one hole .... entire round ! haha I will try it with you .. but yes most likely will be 9

1 minute ago, Nolan220 said:

I was thinking maybe one hole .... entire round ! haha I will try it with you .. but yes most likely will be 9

Maybe make it a 3 hole challenge? One par 3, 4, and 5?

Vice Golf Pro Plus

12 minutes ago, TCUFrog said:

Maybe make it a 3 hole challenge? One par 3, 4, and 5?

yeah that would be fun lets do it ! .

You can count me in with the UiHi!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk