Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Greeting MGS family, and Thank You Ben Hogan Golf.  I’m somewhat know around this forum, but for those who may be new, I’m Tim (Kardboard.kid).  The name is a play on my profession.  I’m a Corrugated

Hey everyone! I’m a relative newbie around here as I just joined the forum back in March and I do have to say this is an absolutely fantastic online community with a great mix of knowledge and fun. I’

Hello Everyone!  Evan Crowder here, a passionate golfer with a dream to change the game. I'm very honored to have been selected for this test, and thanks to MGS and Ben Hogan. I am beyond excited

Posted Images

My first club review for MGS, a few years back, was the VKTR Hybrid. I thought it was a great club but unfortunately my golfing ability was nowhere near the level of the club....

Haven't looked at the new model but I assume (and hope) they moved one of the weights that was one the outside of the toe - the circular opening above the weight port would cause a "whistle" as you swung!

I think (and hope) the better player testers will really enjoy it! 👍

• Like 4

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

What an excellent review thread this is going to be. So many clubs, so many testers. One thing is for sure, we are going to learn a lot. Many thanks to Hogan and MGS!

While it's really nice to see Hogan developing really well reviewed woods and hybrids, and I must say as an Apex 16 user and a longtime Adams hybrid fan (still have one in the bag) the vktr+ is especially appealing, but when I think of Hogan, I think of the irons. To me the whole Icon, Ptx, and UiHi series is one of the better looking lineups around at any price range. And the fact that they all combo up without any loft issue is surprisingly unique. And that's why, despite the appeal, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to put a Hogan iron in my hand. I mean how perfect is this.

image.png.4ca0875a7a4bedd20139643ad396af1f.png

I am a recent convert to the V sole, playing them currently in a Srixon 585/785 combo set. Was love at first hit. And since then, I've been looking Hogan's way for my next set, or perhaps for some wedges. I did also bag the U85 for a while, but found it a little too clunky looking. The club was an absolute bomber off the tee, but the sole was a bit wide and seemed to lack the sole tech in the normal irons and I just did not get along with it well enough from the fairways. I gave the Tour Edge CBX Ironwood and Ping Crossover a chance as well, but they both really lacked feel for me. Never developed enough confidence on the range to use them on the course. So I have moved on. But the photos of the UiHi seem to address some of the concerns and check alot of the boxes for me. 

For the first time that I can remember really, I've felt really secure with the top of my bag. I've moved on from fairway woods entirely, and play a 17* Adams Super XTD hybrid, Apex 20* hybrid, and Apex 23* hybrid, leading into my 5-PW iron setup. On days when the driver is working, I feel like I have every shot in the bag with my hybrid trio, but on off days from the tee I question why I dont have a secondary tee club that I know I can turn too. Maybe that's a stronger lofted 3 wood like a Cobra Big Tour or Ping Stretch, or maybe that's a low lofted, steel shafted driving iron that finds nothing but fairways. Perhaps Hogan has the answers. 

• Like 9

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

• Driver: :ping-small: G410 Plus 9*, Tensei Orange 60X
  • Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Hybrid, Oban Purple
  • Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 5-6, Z785 7-PW, Modus 120s
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
  • Putter: :EVNROLL:  ER3 @ 33"

golfishard.gif.d4dd87e29bf934cc002926aa5558ed56.gif

Yes golf is hard! Especially for me when it comes to hitting woods. Hi, I am a NYC born and raised transplant to sunny SoCal for the past 6 years. I am currently a 15 handicapper (on my best days lol) and I was really interested in this test because I currently do not game a 3 wood. The only "woods" in my bag are my Callaway Rogue SZ driver and my Callaway XR 3 and 4 hybrids. After that my longest club is a Mavrik 5i. I usually hit my 4 hybrid about 180-190 and my 3 hybrid about 200-220 if I hit it on the screws. (Yes a guy we got paired up with past weekend who is a fairly long hitter actually used that term after his tee shot!) I was looking into getting an epic flash 3W as my buddy usually hits his epic flash 3W longer than his epic flash driver! I have seen this guy hit his 3W 260! So I chose the 3W for this test. 

I spent some time in DFW where I really picked up the game so it was interesting to find out the history behind the Ben Hogan brand. My first golf book was an old copy of Hogan's Five Lessons (can you even call yourself a golf nut if you don't have this book in your possession?) My only experience with Hogan clubs was an old 7 iron blade I found in the rental bin of a range in Chester, VA back in August of last year. I was in town for work and I had my clubs with me so I hit a local range as I had just purchased my Rogue driver before the trip and wanted/needed the practice. I happened to look in the bin and saw an old Ben Hogan 7I blade sitting in there so I gave it a hit. Man were they buttery smooth. I almost wanted to ask if I could buy it from them. Kind of regret I didn't.   

2146557163_chosenone.gif.c2b005ffda98cab01914ca34295cb2a3.gif

So the day before I found out I was to be "a chosen one" for this test, I was at my local Dick's looking for a used epic flash 3W. The selection they had was extremely limited and I almost ended up going home with a Ping G400 (currently on sale for 179.99!) but they only had regular and senior flex in the 3 wood. So I said, eh maybe I will hit up my local Roger Dunn. The next day I got the notification about being chosen as a tester for the 3W! The golf gods work in mysterious ways don't they?

So what I am hoping to get out of this test is consistent distance that beats my 3H distance so that I can get on short par 5's and long par 4's in 2. My drives roll out to about 250-260 so I would be looking to close the gap of distance between my driver and the 3H. I don't even try to hit my driver off the deck and I am now just getting my hybrid swing consistent to where I actually play them on the course and not just practice on the range with them. For a long time, I didn't even carry them in my bag! I only started putting them in play earlier this year. No more laying up for me if I this 3W can give me about 220-230 consistently!

• Like 8

Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue SZ Evenflow 6.0 Stiff

Woods : TESTING :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood

Hybrids: :callaway-small: XR Project X Stiff (3&4)

Irons : :callaway-small: Mavrik True Temper Elevate 95 Stiff Steel (5-PW,AW)

Wedges : Bombtech 52,56,60

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : Datrek lightweight cart bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Rangefinder : TecTecTec DXLS

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 15.1

Kanibi CBD Products Tester

Alright, question for the Utility testers... who's coming from being a Hybrid user?  I've really interested to see how guys feel the Utility works vs the Hybrid for Tee, fairway, rough, etc.  Really hoping to see if they're as versatile as a Hybrid, but with a bit less hook in them.  

Also, good luck with the tests!   

• Like 9

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

20 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

Alright, question for the Utility testers... who's coming from being a Hybrid user?  I've really interested to see how guys feel the Utility works vs the Hybrid for Tee, fairway, rough, etc.  Really hoping to see if they're as versatile as a Hybrid, but with a bit less hook in them.  

Testing the UiHi. Currently bagging 3 hybrids at 17*, 20*, and 23* degrees. I don't play fairway woods and my lowest lofted iron is a 5 iron. so I think I definitely qualify as a hybrid user. 

I'll be sure to get some good feedback on the UiHi's versatility and how it compares to other driving irons and hybrids. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Hybrids::adams-small:  Super XTD 17* Hybrid Fubuki AX:callaway-small:,  Apex 20* Hybrid, AD-DI 85S, Apex 23* Hybrid, Oban Purple
  • Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX4 50, Modus 120x:taylormade-small:, Hi Toe 56 & 60, Modus 120x
7 hours ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Ben Hogan explains 1963 BW and 90 fps slomo on Make a GIF

That is just a beautiful swing to watch.......

• Like 2

:ping-small: G 400 driver with Aldila DVS 55-SR shaft (FAIRWAY FINDING MONSTER)

:taylormade-small: Aero Burner 16 degree mini driver regular flex

:callaway-logo-1: Rogue Heavenwood regular flex 

:Hogan: Icon/PTX Pro Combo Set.  VKTR hybrid.

:Hogan: Equalizer Wedges 50, 54, 58 degrees

:callaway-small:Odyssey Two Ball Triple Track Putter, 32 inches  

LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1 putter, 32 inches, 70 degree lie angle

Right Handed. 

Hey all, I'm Nate, a relative newbie here as well. This will be my first official MGS test and review, so I'm stoked! I'm a golf gear junkie and love reviewing stuff on my own, so this opportunity to do an official one, and with a product that I really have a need for right now, is a dream come true. I'm not a great golfer by any means but I've been playing a lot the last few years and have been steadily improving (14 to 10 HCP in the last 8 months). I'm somewhat of an unusual tester because before I got serious about my golf game, I used to be a competitive long driver (hence the lame username). I no longer do long drive, but I can still hit the ball pretty far, which is a great advantage on courses that are relatively open and without much trouble. The problem is I live in San Francisco and my regular home course is one that often has windy conditions and very tight fairways that are lined by lots of big ball-snatching Cypress trees (think Harding Park but narrower). So hitting driver or fairway wood off the tee is not always the best option, especially with my swing speed, since I tend to launch the ball quite high and when I miss offline, it gets very offline fast haha.

So I've been looking for a club that I can hit off the tee to flight the ball down and keep it in the fairway. I've tried playing hybrids and have never really felt that comfortable with them, plus, off a tee I sometimes still launch them high and bring those cypress trees into play. So I have been looking for a driving iron the past few months. For my irons, I game the Taylormade P790s (4-AW) so I tried out the P790 UDI but didn't find it nearly forgiving enough to use with confidence off the tee or on long approach shots. I've also tested a couple other utility irons but haven't fallen in love with any of them for various reasons. So...when this opportunity came up, I opted to give the Hogan UiHi 18* Driving Iron a shot. I'm hoping it's got enough forgiveness and workability for me to be able to game it as a tee club and an approach club. To stay in the bag, I'm looking for it to fit nicely somewhere between my 3w (260 carry) and my 4i (220 carry). If it ends up being something I can comfortably carry 235ish and roll out to 250 off the tee while being able to flight it down and also shape it a little as needed, then I would be delighted and have filled a big gap in my bag. Here's to hoping! 

• Like 8

I am coming from a 3H, I bought into the hype when they first came out and I couldn’t hit long irons to save my life back then. Not saying they aren’t good. I already switched my 4H when I got a new set and yes I do miss it sometimes but I have a kinda high ball flight so the ones I have used kind of ballon on me. Now I haven’t used a utility iron before so I am hoping and praying a little that this is what my game needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

I have a hybrid that works well off the Tee, but I struggle anywhere else. I am hoping the utility iron will work better for my swing. Especially the rough. I seem to spend a bit if time there.

Sent from my SM-A102U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Testing UiHi 18*

First time review here, so first and foremost I would like to thank MGS and Ben Hogan for this opportunity!! I am very excited to be apart of this effort and look forward to answering as many question that I can get to before the other testers. 

A little about me. I started golfing around age 11 and I was taught by my father, whom was self taught. So I got all his bad swing habits, lol or that was my excuse for years. I am a very competitive person which because of how bad I was at Golf and the cost it was always a leisure activity I would do with friends and family here and there. I grew up an baseball player which at times like to pop its head into my swing and I will hit a frozen rope down the third base line off the tee lol. As my tag shows I am a Veteran. I served in the US Air Force as a Security Forces member for 6 years on Active Duty and 8 years in the Air Guard. I spent just over 4 years deployed to the fun areas, I joke with my friends mostly the non-Air Force guys/gals that of the 7 deployments only 4 of them were "Air Force" ones the others I was Army in the wrong BDU/ABUs. I will happily take the jokes about the Air Force as rough as my "non-AF" deployments were home station was great so I can't complain. 

I have had some issues with "normal" life over the years and the AF and VA had me medicated for really bad anxiety and panic attacks that only happen home station. I am only mentioning this up because my brother in law had got me to start Golfing more when I first got out back in 2008 and Golf has done more for me mentally than any Dr or drug they have offered me. Golf keeps me level, doesn't matter how good or bad I play. There are times when I am having a rough week and I will walk in the house and my clubs will be waiting for me by the front door. This is my wife's nice way of telling me I am being a jerk, go reset at the course. 

I am married to an amazing women and together we have 5 children. 1 girl and 4 boys, she brought a girl and boy, I brought two boys, and we have a boy together.  Age range are 16, 15, 12, 10, and 5. 

Back in 08 I was probably a 30 handicap, two years ago I was down to a 12 but I am back up to a 16 this year. My swing has changed over the years and this year it has switch back to an issue I was dealing with years ago. I am looking to actual fix it vs the band-aid fix that fell off over the last winter. lol

All in all I am really excited to be a part of this test. It fits right into an area that of my game/bag that needs a change.

Edited by jb0330
  • Like 5

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

2 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

Greeting MGS family, and Thank You Ben Hogan Golf.  I’m somewhat know around this forum, but for those who may be new, I’m Tim (Kardboard.kid).  The name is a play on my profession.  I’m a Corrugated packaging designer. Here are a couple of things I’ve done with our local science museum, and the State Fair Technologies Booth. 

IMG_20170728_084525115.jpg.30fd56909786499381be27a9b8ee6cbb.jpg

DSCN4185.JPG.d5887f9f9641a501b6273ae1c0b73ff6.JPG

Here is also a picture of my daughter and I scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef.

198.JPG.4e1d7ae2fb01c6d732bf7d718cb6b201.JPG

I was one of those part-time golfers for years, and only started digging into the game the last 10 or so years. I’ve been fit for my irons, and have had the opportunity to test a few products as well.  The biggest take I can give anyone is this, if you don’t love the game, you wont ever improve.  This is one of those sports that requires constant learning, testing, and practicing.  What really changed my attitude? I was tired of being the one everyone had to wait on.  Hearing those words, “it’s OK, take your time”, “No, it’s no biggie, we have all day”. “A bad day on the course beats a good day in the office”.  I could go on, and on.  I started reading books about golf, watching U-Tube training videos, spending time on the driving range, and meeting with instructors.  Most were not professional, but accomplished golfers in their own right.  I would take the good that worked for me and ignored what didn’t.  I have no illusion I will be playing on the tour, or ever play competitive.  My biggest desire is to play well, enjoy what I am doing and with those whom I am playing with. 

For me golf is therapeutic.  I enjoy the outdoors, with all the sights and smells.  What better place to find that little piece of heaven.  Since I have been working on different parts of my game it is now time to look at the area between the driver and the 150 range.  Currently I struggle with the 220- 180 range into the green. That’s where I give up stokes on the course.  Having the chance to trial the 3I I feel, and hope will fill that gap for me, and put me in a position of reaching my goal to play consistently in the 80’s.  I have brought my game down to the 90’s in the last year and half, so I think it is a reasonable thought.

I am truly excited to bt of this very large test group, and look forward to providing you with a review that will aid in your own game improvement.

I am in Philly area .. a local radio show does the cardboard classic .. this is right up your alley 

https://wmmr.com/tag/cardboard-classic/

• Love 1

:ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway Wood 5  :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:taylormade-small: 3 Rescue Hybrid

:ping-small:  4 G Crossover

:cobra-small: F8 Single Length Irons 5-GW OBAN CT-100 shafts 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter

:Arccos: All clubs use Arccos 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

Testing UiHi 18*

Greetings from Gilbert, Arizona! Again, so excited for this review process and grateful to Hogan and MGS.

I'm 35 years old. Father of 2. Currently working as an IT Engineer in the aviation industry.

az.jpg.389e70d6ca0bee87a21d112944fb532c.jpg

I am a newish member here to the forums, but a long-time lurker to the site. As an engineer, I’ve always been drawn to the testing processes and data collection at MGS. In fact, I owe my first golf buying decision to MGS. I picked this game up in 2012. I had recently graduated college, and was a newlywed paying off two set of student loans, just picked up two new car loans - all the fun stuff in life. I was looking to buy a cheaper set of irons and found MGS and several great reviews and testing analysis of the Cobra S3 irons.  The Amp line had just come out, and the S3’s were heavily reduced, and that was all of the convincing I needed. Still have those in the backup bag.

Until recently, I played golf very casually. Just a handful of times a year. Company tournaments, a couple of outings with the lads. Took a trip to Bandon in 2016. But never took it to serious. I had never threatened 90. Breaking 100 and having a few beers was a mighty success.

May 2019, I moved from Oregon to Arizona and decided that I was going to actually try to improve at this game. Started playing twice a month. Started going to the practice greens 3 times a week to work on chipping and putting. Really immersed myself in online instruction and forums. Picked up some newer equipment. And the scores started dropping. 95, 90, 85, 80. My right now I feel like I sort of hit a wall as a 5-6 handicap. I just had my first lesson a few weeks ago. A driver fitting is in the near future. So we’ll see what happens.

1179060006_3(2).jpg.f918cca3827f217ab43a60a31671026b.jpg

It's peak season in Arizona now, and I can’t wait to get this Hogan UiHi in hand and out on the course. I am constantly tinkering with my bag and nothing is safe. So this should be a fun and fair test. Anything long and straight off the tee has a legitimate chance to be my new best friend. 

• Like 8

good Lord! there are so many of you its impossible to know who is swinging what..

Please everyone_ At the start of your posts, please write which club your talking about!!!!

now, as some of you my know, Im a PtxPro combo tester, and also a 4UiHi user, and currently testing against the PtxPro 4 iron_ they're both great. Anyways, lets see some good work guys, and gitter done!

• Like 6

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

12 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

good Lord! there are so many of you its impossible to know who is swinging what..

Please everyone_ At the start of your posts, please write which club your talking about!!!!

now, as some of you my know, Im a PtxPro combo tester, and also a 4UiHi user, and currently testing against the PtxPro 4 iron_ they're both great. Anyways, lets see some good work guys, and gitter done!

That is a great thought.

Thanks,

• Like 1

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

12 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Makes sense to me. Going to update my signature as well.  

⬇️

• Like 4