Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Golf ComPany-VKTR+, UiHi and GS53 FW

Golfspy_CG2

So I forgot to attach the 3W tag for my shotscope to the club before taking it out for the first time on Thanksgiving morning. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depends on how you look at it) I was not hitting it well on the range and did not have the confidence to put it in play. Dispersion on shots was all over the place and I was having trouble finding the center. Could be the longer length as compared to my 3H or the difference in the shaft flex ( I play a stiff flex on my 3H as compared to the R flex I received on my 3W) or just that I have not gotten used to the club yet. I hit it one time off the tee during my round and cold topped it so I put it away for the rest of the round. Was playing $2 nassau with my friends so I could not be out there testing a new club! I did spend some time on the range after to see if I could get some comparison with my 3H. Based on numbers given by my launch monitor, I was getting average 190 carry on my 3H compared to 180 on the Hogan 3W. Again probably because I am not confident with this club yet and swinging it slower to get better contact. I did notice that when I choked down on the club a bit I got better impact with higher carry numbers. The R flex of the club definitely feels more whippy/floppy than my 3H. I will keep trying to get better with the stock setup for a bit longer before re-shafting to a stiff flex if I don't see any improvement. Purpose of the 3W for me is to get consistently longer carry than my 3H so we will see. 

Also for any of the other 3W testers, did your club have what looks like a dent in the area seen in the picture below? It is right on the crease of the bottom portion of the speed slot where the chrome paint meets the black paint. This was before hitting the club. It looks to be just cosmetic and should not affect performance but still would be a concern if I were purchasing the club for myself.

20201125_182238.jpg.86c75961129808ffe99f4bad0f344bd4.jpg

I will be playing a round tomorrow with the 3W tag attached to the club with some extra warm up prior so hopefully will get to share some course results in the next update.

Driver : :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 9* MC Kuro Kago Silver 60 Stiff

Woods : :benhogan-small: GS53 3 Wood 14* Mitsubish Tensei Blue 73g Regular

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Wedges : File:Kirkland Signature logo.svg - Wikimedia Commons 52, 56, 60 

Putter : :taylormade-small:Spider Red

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

The UiHi arrived just before the Thanksgiving holiday. Unboxed it and my excitement levels went through the roof. This thing looks clean. Couldn't wait to get out to the range and give it a feel. Finally got that chance yesterday. Gave it 10-15 swings on the range before playing a round with it in the bag. I didn't have a launch monitor or the time to really do any deep experimenting or reviewing with it, but here are some first impressions that stuck with me:

1. Very easy (for me) to hit off the tee. WhenI could tee the ball up a little bit, I found it very easy to find the center of the face and to hit low trajectory stingers that penetrated through the wind and rolled forever. Exactly what I was hoping for in that regard. It felt pure and as if the sweet spot was much bigger than on my Taylormade P790 3i or the P790 UDI (which I've tried in the past but returned because I struggled to hit it clean so often). I immediately had a lot of confidence teeing it up and I used it on four holes during the round where I wanted to hit a fairway finder - success with all four. 

2. Very hard (for me) to hit from anywhere but the teebox. When hitting it from the fairway (or just not off a tee), I was having a really hard time elevating the ball. I don't know exactly why...I kinda think it might have to do with the amount of offset (there is noticeably more than on my irons) causing me to shut the face, but unless I tried to hit a fade, I kept hitting tumbling draw/hook shots that struggled to get more than 5 feet off the ground and quickly topspun themselves into the ground. Yes they rolled quite a ways still, but they were ugly and I had very little control. After my round I went to the range to experiment a little bit more and I found that if I tried to hit an exaggerated fade, I was able to hit the ball more purely and elevate it better but even those were still low flying stinger type shots. They could be very helpful for advancing the ball down the fairway on a long hole, but I don't see many situations where this thing is going to be practical for hitting into a green on an approach shot...you just can't hit the ball very high at all no matter what you do. 

3. Relatively easy to shape shots with it. I really liked this aspect of the club (especially off the tee). I'm not a great golfer and not someone who thinks much about shaping shots, but my home course has a lot of holes where it is beneficial if you can, so I experimented a little during the round and found it much easier to draw or fade the ball on command than it has been for me with my 3i, or any driving iron I've played before. 

It's only one day of use and I want to play and test it a lot more but my initial impression is that I would be inclined to keep it in the bag as something I can use off the tee when I absolutely need to hit a fairway or for windy/firm days when I need to flight the ball down off the tee. Don't see it getting much use outside of those situations though...unless I get better at golf or learn how to hit it from the fairway better. 

More to come soon...

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6291.jpg

IMG_6293.jpg

WITB:

Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero

Irons: Taylormade P770 4i - AW

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 at 55 and 60 degrees

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3Hy

Taylormade Stealth Plus 3W

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Arm Lock

. Finally made it to the course tonight to take this 3 wood on its maiden voyage. First impressions: this club just drips class. From the beautiful stamping on the bottom to the mirror navy blue finish up top, it feels classic. Definitely true to the original Hogan brand. Its kind of heavy, and when you swing it, it almost feels like the head belongs where it is in the swing path. It's like a big old Cadillac made new that when you get behind the wheel you shake your head and say that's a Cadillac? 

Footage of me leaving 2nd tee box: dodge.jpg.a61b06760dc8b1b84da79982979ed88c.jpg

I have been scared to hit this thing all week it's beautiful. I have been telling myself to just put a good, honest swing on it the first time and everything will be fine. No screaming digs or frightened stabs, just a good, smooth swing. First contact: this thing took off like a scalded dog. 265 on my first shot off the tee. On the fifth hole, I went to 3 wood hill, a flat rise about 250 out to give it a few more rips. As many testers have already mentioned, there is a fair amount of draw bias on this thing. My first shot was a big beautiful draw when I usually fade, and my first two shots off of the turf were both pulled considerably, but the range was right. I lined up another and really connected. 20201128_163121.jpg.d0403a41bef6f0e85669e46f3b23d113.jpg

So after just a couple of uses, the club is performing. The shaft handles nice and ballflight is ideal. After I got back to the clubhouse on the 6th, I hit 6 balls down the 7th fairway before dark. The 2 pc. Soft feel were middle performers, the Pro V were the two farthest and Maxfli Tour X rounded out the set. Tight group, all within 20 yards of each other, farthest shot 271. 20201128_172959.jpg.01515bc8ba77ff71a8c3c89ab60bb289.jpg

So far its outperforming my current gamer considerably, but my current 3 wood is 22 years old. The X-Stiff Tensei Blue shaft is way more suited to my swing than the Hawkeye UL graphite shaft of yore. 

I'm loving this thing so far. I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

I received my 3 Wood last week and took it immediately to an outdoor range. It snowed the next day. I’ve since had one other indoor session, but based on data I’ve compiled so far. WOW. I’ve more testing to do, I want to be as thorough as I can. I honestly forgot how fun creating excel spreadsheets can be

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Put together another really nice round. This time I was just playing a goat track of a course that is just a fun set up. Has a few wonky holes. Some shorter par 4s. It's only a par 70. Shot a 74 today. Previously low on this course is a 78. 

I used the UiHi on 4 tee shots. Technically hit 3/4 fairways, but the miss was just two yards off to the left and left me a PW into the green that I just barely had to draw to avoid some tree limbs. Distances were once again a bit short of were I'd like to be. I could see some of these shots rolling out forever in the dry Arizona fairways in the summer, but right now we are just coming off reseeding, the courses are being watered, the grass is let to grow. As we've seen from the previously launch monitor stats, I'm not getting the best carry on the UiHi, so I'd like every yard of roll out that I can get.

Regardless, I scored really well today. Odd that 2 rounds with the UiHi are my best two rounds ever. That might be speaking to my overall game that I need to hit some more conservative shots on certain holes and the UiHi, while not overwhelming me, has yet to screw me.  

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

So I haven’t been able to get this out to the course but I did hit a few balls in the yard and the club feels as good as my CBX119.  

Here are some comparison pictures.   Also, the headcover is extremely classy!

851F1A97-81A4-4EE6-BD34-E920B8DD1B5D.jpeg

BB43D183-E2EE-4AD9-939E-B73B77BB6212.jpeg

5E110959-1BA5-4DA8-B3A1-975EFA593DE1.jpeg

:taylormade-small:  M3 460 9.5* - ACCRA TZ6 M5

:callaway-small:  X2 Hot Pro - 15* Aldila Tour Green X

TaylorMade Jetspeed 19* w Matrix HM9

Mizuno MP-63 4-P Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 - 50, 54, 60

:odyssey-small:  Toulon Portland w P2 React Grip

:titelist-small: 2019 Players 4 -  :titelist-small: Pro V1

Went to the Range today on my lunch break and it was really windy today but a majority of the balls on the Ben Hogan were fading. I been hitting a draw lately and when I switch back to my TM I was hitting a draw again.. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

1 hour ago, Nolan220 said:

Went to the Range today on my lunch break and it was really windy today but a majority of the balls on the Ben Hogan were fading. I been hitting a draw lately and when I switch back to my TM I was hitting a draw again.. 

• Do you still think the Hogan has more offset?
  • What is your preferred ball flight with a hybrid?
  • What direction was the wind and which club do you think reacted more to the wind?

Based on looks alone, with more weight on the toe I wouldn't be surprised if the Hogan was more fade prone than most hybrids. I personally like that in a hybrid and hate to see it go left. Curious of the performance in the wind, as the loft and higher COG should present a more penetrating flight. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

5 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:
  • What direction was the wind and which club do you think reacted more to the wind?

Based on looks alone, with more weight on the toe I wouldn't be surprised if the Hogan was more fade prone than most hybrids. I personally like that in a hybrid and hate to see it go left. Curious of the performance in the wind, as the loft and higher COG should present a more penetrating flight. 

The wind was all over the place but the next ball I picked up my TM 3 hybrid and hit a draw ... at the time the wind was coming towards me so the distance wasn't there don't think the wind played too much of a factor.  I think the BH has more weight on the toe too and more offset then my normal club .. My ball flight is mid to high, I haven't saw to much difference to ball flight between the two clubs. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:59 PM, Crowev01 said:

. Finally made it to the course tonight to take this 3 wood on its maiden voyage. First impressions: this club just drips class. From the beautiful stamping on the bottom to the mirror navy blue finish up top, it feels classic. Definitely true to the original Hogan brand. Its kind of heavy, and when you swing it, it almost feels like the head belongs where it is in the swing path. It's like a big old Cadillac made new that when you get behind the wheel you shake your head and say that's a Cadillac? 

Footage of me leaving 2nd tee box: dodge.jpg.a61b06760dc8b1b84da79982979ed88c.jpg

I have been scared to hit this thing all week it's beautiful. I have been telling myself to just put a good, honest swing on it the first time and everything will be fine. No screaming digs or frightened stabs, just a good, smooth swing. First contact: this thing took off like a scalded dog. 265 on my first shot off the tee. On the fifth hole, I went to 3 wood hill, a flat rise about 250 out to give it a few more rips. As many testers have already mentioned, there is a fair amount of draw bias on this thing. My first shot was a big beautiful draw when I usually fade, and my first two shots off of the turf were both pulled considerably, but the range was right. I lined up another and really connected. 20201128_163121.jpg.d0403a41bef6f0e85669e46f3b23d113.jpg

So after just a couple of uses, the club is performing. The shaft handles nice and ballflight is ideal. After I got back to the clubhouse on the 6th, I hit 6 balls down the 7th fairway before dark. The 2 pc. Soft feel were middle performers, the Pro V were the two farthest and Maxfli Tour X rounded out the set. Tight group, all within 20 yards of each other, farthest shot 271. 20201128_172959.jpg.01515bc8ba77ff71a8c3c89ab60bb289.jpg

So far its outperforming my current gamer considerably, but my current 3 wood is 22 years old. The X-Stiff Tensei Blue shaft is way more suited to my swing than the Hawkeye UL graphite shaft of yore. 

I'm loving this thing so far. I'll keep you guys up to date on the progress. 

Interesting that you think it feels heavy. For me it feels light and a bit on the whippy side compared to my Callaway XR 3H with a stiff flex Project X shaft in it. But again that is all subjective. Also, did you notice any indentation along the seam where the chrome paint meets the black paint in the speed slot area as I have shown in my picture? 

7 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Same here. Common miss on my 3H is a hook (if I'm not topping it lol)

Hybrids: sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 949X Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 

Irons : sub70logo.png.3c207e4e90c1eeca7b9a917b5fa4b848.png 699 Pro Black 5-AW 1* flat KBS Tour V 90 Stiff Shafts 

Bag : datrek-brand_1456761019__86876.original.jpg.7c24f9ae71c7730ce29a828226731487.jpg lightweight cart bag | motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgDry Series Bag

Ball :  :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX (2019) | Screen-Shot-2017-07-20-at-7_24.05-AM-300x118.png.9f1c4cb1d62511ee40a05bd6d5795f97.png ProV1x (2021)

Rangefinder : 836d5c8b9e44880db86abcd3b735255d.w2480_h836.jpg.bcd4050c642957abbdca7453a6cb0469.jpg ULT-X

Pushcart : motocaddy.jpg.258c0b46e60c2804fc6b1f64bca0aef3.jpgM5 GPS DHC Electric Push Cart

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

My review might be a bit behind others, and I do apologize.  I will be traveling to see my father this weekend as the news has turned worse.  I want to spend as much time as I can with him before he passes.  I promise to have a review posted as quickly as I can.  Thanks for the understanding.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

3 hours ago, kardboard.kid said:

My review might be a bit behind others, and I do apologize.  I will be traveling to see my father this weekend as the news has turned worse.  I want to spend as much time as I can with him before he passes.  I promise to have a review posted as quickly as I can.  Thanks for the understanding.

I hope you are able to spend some quality time with your dad. 

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

Some quick data on the 3W on course from this past weekend. I was hitting it well off the tee. Still did not feel comfortable with it enough to hit it off the deck but I will try this upcoming weekend.

image.png.93ce0ccbbcb329b8b2ef9dcef6455f3c.png

Downhill tee shot from a high elevated tee box. Struck right in the middle of the face. Probably one my best 3W strikes ever! Followed up with a nice 3H shot for my second shot. Went left but managed to save bogey. Long par 4 this hole!

image.png.1b8c0e08a1d1754bae9d183075d8ec34.png

Another great shot off the tee on this hole. Saved par after a duffed 2nd shot that luckily stopped short of the pond. 

image.png.a35742865a553b05d5a9244ad48a7b19.png

Another downhill tee shot to end the round. I stopped using the driver so I could test the 3W after hole 13 BTW. Left out the holes where I did not strike it well. On those miss hits the ball popped up and went about 160 yards. I believe I am getting more comfortable with the club and getting better contact and close to the distances I am looking for off the tee. The gapping works with my current 3H so will most likely stay in the bag after the test!

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

I finally got a chance to go out and hit my new VKTR+ hybrid on Saturday during what will probably be my last round for the season unless we get a warm day that coincides with my ability to take a “sick” day. As I mentioned before, I tried to go out to the range to get some practice in with the new club, but they were temporarily closed so I was truly going in blind since the course also closed their range for the season two weeks ago. It was not a particularly warm day which probably hurt my distances some and it was also pretty gusty which made play more difficult (more on that later). Another item to note, there was a hiccup somewhere along the way and in the end my club and someone else’s got switched so I received a club with a regular flex shaft  instead of the stiff. I’m going to go ahead and give the club my review as I received it, but depending on how it goes I may decide to re-shaft it with something stiffer.

Now onto the interesting part….actual golf!  After an OK drive on the first tee I found myself with a good lie just off the fairway about 185 out into a strong headwind and figured since I was out there to give this hybrid a go I might as well just jump right in. The first thing I noticed after a couple practice swings was that this hybrid is a fair amount heavier than I am accustomed to (most of my bag is ~ D0). I believe the spec sheet puts the VKTR+ at a D2 swing weight, but on my scale I’m getting D5. Won’t say that my scale is the most accurate, but most of my bag comes in within 1 point of spec so next time I go to PGATSS I’ll bring the club with me and ask them to verify. That said, I did like the feel of the heavier clubhead and I made solid contact on my first shot. The ball definitely launched high and got up into the wind, which unfortunately left me just short of the green.

image.png.53b7d622fda6a500997d3054b8d4626b.png

I didn’t find myself in a position to use the club again until I got around to holes 4 & 5 which were also into the wind and I had very similar results to my first shot. Solid strike, high launch and came up short. I wasn’t experiencing the same amount of distance loss with my other irons into the wind so I’m wondering if the regular flex recoil shaft is just too soft for me. It feels great but from my very limited knowledge of fitting, a shaft that is not stiff enough can lead to higher ball flights and shorter distance which were both symptoms I was experiencing.  On the plus side, the 10th hole provided an opportunity to hit the 3 hybrid off the tee with the wind for a change. This is a dog leg right hole with about 215 yards to the turn before you run out of fairway and I managed to crank one 230 past the fairway into the trap 😊.

image.png.1b3e2cc55f31b23d6a035f867717a1cf.png

Overall, my first impressions are that I like the club and it seems to provide a little more consistency for me than the 7 wood it replaced, but I need to get out and hit some balls when it isn’t so windy and see if I need to make a change on the shaft. One pleasant surprise is that the club makes a very satisfying crisp sound when hit well, almost like a titanium wood even though this is an all steel club.

Screenshot_20201202-205205.png.e955b74cbbb2953beeecd2d1b74e780e.png

It turns out that my "go to" range with the heated bays & Top Tracer LMs is closed due to the recent surge in COVID so I need to scope out some other options to get more range time and data. Hopefully that will be on Saturday.

Edited by ChitownM2

20 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

...The first thing I noticed after a couple practice swings was that this hybrid is a fair amount heavier than I am accustomed to (most of my bag is ~ D0). I believe the spec sheet puts the VKTR+ at a D2 swing weight, but on my scale I’m getting D5. Won’t say that my scale is the most accurate, but most of my bag comes in within 1 point of spec so next time I go to PGATSS I’ll bring the club with me and ask them to verify...

I got D5 on mine also, so I suspect your scale is just fine.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

@kardboard.kidBest wishes for you and your family at this difficult time. Definitely not the time to be worrying about a review of a golf club, it will be there when the time is right. Anyone who would be upset about that has their priorities seriously out of whack. 

Ok I played in a scramble today, and before we teed off I got in a few swings with the UiHi 18*. This has the KBS Tour Stiff shaft in it. I was worried about this shaft being too stout for me, and I was right. It only took a few swings off the ground and the tee to realize that this combo isn’t right for me. Couldn’t get it more than 20’ off the ground with or without a tee. Probably would be a different animal with a Recoil Stiff in it. I’m going to order one up and install it before doing a full review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:   Titleist TSr2 11 - UST Helium 5F3

Fairway: Titleist TS2 16.5 and 21 - Evenflow Riptide CB R

Irons: Titleist U505 4U and T300 5-GW - Aerotech SteelFiber i80 R

Wedges:  Cleveland Black RTX ZipCore 54 and Full Face 58 - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Putter:  Odyssey TriHot 5K TripleWide

Bag:  Titleist 15 Cart

On 12/2/2020 at 12:22 PM, kardboard.kid said:

KK—Sorry to hear the news of your dad.  Spend every moment you can with him.  The review doesn’t even need to be in your thoughts.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 Wood Testing

Today I went back to the PGA SS to confirm the readings from the first test.  With this big of a discrepancy, I had to verify it. 

20201205_211721.jpg.6cb54e66d3e7e28b3e6073952770fde6.jpg

I took my Srixon U85 3 driving iron as a comparison as well.  Below are the results.

1846455758_BenHoganvsU85.png.2011643db0cb906211a1ea775f67144d.png

Notes: I couldn't hit those 2 shots with the GS53 any better.  There's no way I'd ever get better strikes than those and yet the 2nd one only beat my driving iron by 9 yards.  I have multiple data points on the U85 and that is a very representative shot with it.  I average around 240 yards with it.  

I then put my SIM back to the settings I typically have it at to show what I'm looking for in a 3w.  Granted the fairways around here are not as fast as the similar so that would got around 265.

1162052442_SIM3W12-5.png.94cf1651cf747a72827894966b07a7a5.png

For me, I always test a new club in simulators to get numbers to see if it's worth taking out on the course.  Otherwise I wouldn't know when/how to use it.  For me, this club wouldn't make it to the next stage.  I believe this club could be really good going into a green, but with me needing this an off the tee option, it isn't a viable option.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

25 minutes ago, goaliewales14 said:

3 Wood Testing

Today I went back to the PGA SS to confirm the readings from the first test.  With this big of a discrepancy, I had to verify it. 

20201205_211721.jpg.6cb54e66d3e7e28b3e6073952770fde6.jpg

I took my Srixon U85 3 driving iron as a comparison as well.  Below are the results.

1846455758_BenHoganvsU85.png.2011643db0cb906211a1ea775f67144d.png

Notes: I couldn't hit those 2 shots with the GS53 any better.  There's no way I'd ever get better strikes than those and yet the 2nd one only beat my driving iron by 9 yards.  I have multiple data points on the U85 and that is a very representative shot with it.  I average around 240 yards with it.  

I then put my SIM back to the settings I typically have it at to show what I'm looking for in a 3w.  Granted the fairways around here are not as fast as the similar so that would got around 265.

1162052442_SIM3W12-5.png.94cf1651cf747a72827894966b07a7a5.png

For me, I always test a new club in simulators to get numbers to see if it's worth taking out on the course.  Otherwise I wouldn't know when/how to use it.  For me, this club wouldn't make it to the next stage.  I believe this club could be really good going into a green, but with me needing this an off the tee option, it isn't a viable option.

Is your SIM fitted ? Those spin numbers aren’t even close for the BH and the SIM 

3 hours ago, Nolan220 said:

Is your SIM fitted ? Those spin numbers aren’t even close for the BH and the SIM 

Yeah the SIM is fitted for an off the tee club.  That's why you're seeing spin in the 2000's.  Typically, you'd want something around 3000+ for stability and to hold the green if you're hitting off the deck.  I got it about mid-season and I would say I've only used it 2-3 times off the deck.

I would say the difference is also in the design of the two heads.  The TM option that would be a better head-to-head would be the SIM Max.  The Max is built to be the higher spinning option of the two of them.  

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

6 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

Yeah the SIM is fitted for an off the tee club.  That's why you're seeing spin in the 2000's.  Typically, you'd want something around 3000+ for stability and to hold the green if you're hitting off the deck.  I got it about mid-season and I would say I've only used it 2-3 times off the deck.

I would say the difference is also in the design of the two heads.  The TM option that would be a better head-to-head would be the SIM Max.  The Max is built to be the higher spinning option of the two of them.  

Yeah the makes sense for off the tee that spin number is like driver off the tee numbers that’s why I was asking 

So far I’ve been able to hit the range and handful of times with the UiHi, but I have not been impressed, the feel is good but I think the shaft is too light for me. I may have to break the rules and put something else in there to make it gameable. Most of my shots are going as far as my five iron and ballooning up. Seen last like I’m getting way too much spin. Even when I really try to hit a low stinger it doesn’t seem to want to stay low. I played a quick nine at a local executive course to give myself a few short par fours to hit off the tee with it and it was more of the same as the range. So far I’m not impressed, but it make just be the shaft... we’ll see

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

6 hours ago, twyatt700 said:

So far I’ve been able to hit the range and handful of times with the UiHi, but I have not been impressed, the feel is good but I think the shaft is too light for me. I may have to break the rules and put something else in there to make it gameable. Most of my shots are going as far as my five iron and ballooning up. Seen last like I’m getting way too much spin. Even when I really try to hit a low stinger it doesn’t seem to want to stay low. I played a quick nine at a local executive course to give myself a few short par fours to hit off the tee with it and it was more of the same as the range. So far I’m not impressed, but it make just be the shaft... we’ll see

Thanks for thinking of the “rules” but feel free to reshaft if you’d like.  You guys were kind of limited in your choices based on how the test came about.  

Maybe get a fair amount of shots in with the stock shaft, then compare the one you reshaft with to it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Played 9 today and only took out the BH hybrid, off the fairway was a little tougher, but off the tee box it was nice, I keep hitting a fade/ pushing it to the right more then I’m used too but off the tee was really good. This is a par 3 slightly down hill mark the pin at 234 it was in the back .. had nice sound but I was right of the pin about 20 yards to the right. 

On 10/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Testing the VKTR+ Hybrid:

@Siamese Moose

Did you have a second choice for a reviewer for this club? My review is up (first page), and it was a poor decision on my part to ask to review a hybrid. I'd like to see it in the hands of someone better suited.

My full review of the hybrid is up on the first page. I have cut my time short with it for several reasons. First and foremost, I should never have asked to review a hybrid. Hybrids and I don't get along well. I have never found one that could stay in the bag, and I hoped this would be different, and be "the one". That was overly wishful. More than ever now, I know I'm a fairway wood guy, and I've even put a 9 wood in the bag. I won't ask to review anything else unless I think there's a strong chance of it staying in my bag. My other reason for stopping is medical. My doc just shot up my right thumb, and asked me to stop playing for 6 weeks during PT. I played today anyway so I could finish my review. Depending on whether there was a second choice for reviewer for this, if you want to try the club, I'll ship it to you. 

Another quick update with some shotscope data. Round played over the weekend. Continuing to use the 3W on tee boxes where I would normally go with a 3H and getting that extra yardage that puts me in range for a higher lofted wedge to hold the green.

Downhill tee shot (South side of the course from my last update). Ended up behind a tree blocking the green and 2 putted for bogey. You can use driver here but if you go long you end up in the fairway bunker on the left with a difficult shot onto a green protected by more bunkers or you can bounce all the way down that hill on the left. Hard to tell because this isnt a topography map but the left side of the bunker is downhill to the next fairway. Smart play is to lay up in front of the bunker towards the left. Distance wise this club is perfect for me on this hole. 

image.png.29fb93e55ddc68fee384097dcfcbc7af.png

Good drive put me in range to put my second shot on the green. Perfect opportunity to try hitting the 3W off the deck. Could use some work but direction was good and got on in 3 with a 3 putt for bogey.

image.png.8e0e1dfbe715cf4fc4975c15b7a0ba09.png

Snuck in a round today and used a 3W for the first time on a different course. Was hitting it well on the range during warm up.

Made a bold move and tee'd off with the 3W. Going long here puts you through the fairway so a 3W is a great club. I usually go 3H here. Driver either puts me through the fairway or with a fade/push slice ends up in trouble on the right.

image.png.2ffa2ef7856030c92fb99e59db9fd79b.png

Avoided driver due to the water on the left right around 245 to the edge. If I get a hold of it and draw like I sometimes do I know I can make it in the water. Ended up hitting a high fade and made my way out of the trouble for a bogey.

image.png.a6bc37d73d0ff9fab2ac02b8eafb6355.png

Ended up not hitting the 3W off the deck today. Used my 3H instead a few times off the deck for about 200 total yards. Hoping to get avg 220-230 with the 3W. More practice needed. Overall still liking the club especially on tee shots where the 3H comes up a little short but D is a bit too long. 

SoCal, USA

Right handed HDCP 16.4

Used the app shot vision that was just reviewed by mgs .. ending get some numbers for the BH they were pretty close to the my TM hybrid and I think the shot vision numbers were pretty close to my normal numbers so was happy about that .. I have to upload the data later today 

I made it to the range yesterday and was able to work on some shot shaping with the hybrid. The more I'm using the club, the more I dislike it. I think it's mainly the shaft that's just too light and whippy for me. This is my last week of work till 2021, so i plan on being able to get some rounds and practice in over the next 2 weeks to do more of a deep dive on the club.

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 10.5, Motore X F1 60 X-Stiff

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 14, Motore X F1 60 Stiff

:taylormade-small: M6, 4H 22.0

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro, 4-PW, Nippon Modus 105

:taylormade-small: MG3 52, 56, 60, SB - Black

:odyssey-small: White Hot OG #7

Vice Golf Pro Plus

:Arccos: Smart Sensors