Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Iron Fitting Question

stj51

Earlier this spring I went to Dick's Sporting Goods for a "Club Fitting". At the time I didn't really know any better. He asked what my handicap was and what am I currently hitting. He was like alright SIM Max will be best for higher handicap, said add an inch to the shafts because I'm 6'1", I took a few swings he said looks great and ordered them for me. I have been having a hard time hitting them, especially anything over a 7 iron. After extensive research, some lessons, and a lot of practice I have decided to change it up.

After reading the Best Game Improvement Irons I have set up a T300 fitting on Titleist Thursday's in a few weeks at a local Country Club to be truly fit with Trackman, etc. 

I understand a lot of game improvement irons are the same when it comes to the heads. My question is am I better off trying to getting fit for new shafts on what I already have or keep searching until I find the club head and shaft that work for my game best?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

bring your current irons with you to the fitting and hit the on trackman or whatever they are using first to get a baseline.  Talk with the fitter about reshafting your current irons vs the T300s and get the pros and cons and price difference.  I'd assume you can sell or trade-in your SIM max irons for a decent amount.  Also don't be stuck on the T300s either. let the fitter work with you on some different irons (T200s since it's a Titleist fitting) and shaft combos and figure out what is best for you.  Have fun during the fitting and hopefully you'll learn a lot about your swing, etc.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

2 hours ago, stj51 said:

Earlier this spring I went to Dick's Sporting Goods for a "Club Fitting". At the time I didn't really know any better. He asked what my handicap was and what am I currently hitting. He was like alright SIM Max will be best for higher handicap, said add an inch to the shafts because I'm 6'1", I took a few swings he said looks great and ordered them for me. I have been having a hard time hitting them, especially anything over a 7 iron. After extensive research, some lessons, and a lot of practice I have decided to change it up.

After reading the Best Game Improvement Irons I have set up a T300 fitting on Titleist Thursday's in a few weeks at a local Country Club to be truly fit with Trackman, etc. 

I understand a lot of game improvement irons are the same when it comes to the heads. My question is am I better off trying to getting fit for new shafts on what I already have or keep searching until I find the club head and shaft that work for my game best?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

Definitely bring the set you are playing currently to the fitting. When you are being fit tell the fitter everything you like/dislike. I did a fitting recently at a Club Champion and was shocked at how much shafts can help. I recommend going to a non bias fitter. The difference between heads is a variable that you will want to take into consideration. 

• Driver-:titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W- :cobra-small:Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14*
  • 3H-:cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4)
  • 5-A-:mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56*-:taylormade-small: MG3
  • 60*-:vokey-small: SM8
  • Putter-:taylormade-small: Spider GT 35"
  • Ball- ProV1X :titelist-small: or :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS
  • Range Finder- Bushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags-:titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag or :1590477705_SunMountain: C130 in red, white, and blue
  • Spikes-:nike-small:,:footjoy-small:,:cobra-small:

Either go to a OEM performance centre like Callaway, Taylormade Titleist, in fact go to as many as you can or got to a Pro Shop that does real fittings and has a selections of brands that you can test. Swing as many different models as you can and then narrow them down to the top 3, then hit those again. Then go home and think about it.

The alternative is to find a fitter that has the SIM's and try them with different shafts to see if you can find one that feels good.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Titleist Thursday’s are great. Youll get the fitters full attention for 30 minutes and he’ll put you through several options. 

He’ll use some swings from your SIM’s as a baseline. 

What a P-Poor job the guy at Dicks did.  It’s a shame what they pass off as fittings.  At 6’1” the chances you need 1” over shafts is almost impossible.  The fact he said that before even seeing you hit a ball, is “fitting malpractice” 😬😬

I am 6’4” and was fit into standard length.  So yes, i know more than height comes into it.  

Good luck and have fun at the TT 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I play Titleist AP3 irons and like them very much.  It is what worked best for me after trying irons from Taylormade, Mizuno, Callaway, Srixon, and Cobra.  I’ve got a Ping Driver, Tour Edge 4 and 7 wood, Titleist Hybrid and Irons and an Odyssey putter.  

Use what works best for you.  

Limiting yourself to one brand or even one line within one brand may not give you the best results.  I would also try multiple shafts as well in different flex and weight.  Lie angle and length of club are also important for consistent performance.  Looks, sound and feel as well as the grip are also important to consider.

Don’t be afraid to try used or new but not current model clubs too.

Getting fit right is a great starting point, but it should include both a static and a dynamic component, ideally hitting balls outside to see ball flight and with a launch monitor to capture launch, spin data and club gapping.  Getting fit by hitting just a 6 or 7 iron might not lead to consistent results from 4 iron to Pitching wedge. Too often 6 or 7 iron is the only demo club available to hit.

Best wishes to you in your journey to find the right set-up

Tour Edge C723 8.0 MCA Tensei AV Blue Xlink 65S

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Tour Edge E723 21 degree MCA Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid Fujikura Fuel 85g Stiff

Corey Paul - 5-PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos

Bushnell V4

One thing that you should have checked is the swing weight of your Sim irons if you go the route of having them reshafted. I'm not sure how or even if Taylormade adjusts swing weights for non-standard lengths, but if they use lighter heads you may find it difficult to get them back up to the appropriate range if you end up with standard length shafts. All things equal, going with shafts that are 1" shorter will drop you 6 swing weights and that would be hard to make up with tip weights alone. 

Someone with more club building knowledge can probably chime in on whether this is a concern or not and what a possible remedy could be. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update. I did the Titleist Thursday yesterday and it was very informative. The experts started laughing when I told them about my experience. Once I started swinging they were shocked. My club head speed with 7 iron was consistently in the 90's and ball speed was averaging in the 120's. The second he put me in a stiff shaft with the T200 and T300 , ball speed went into the 140s, and my dispersion, ball flight and landing angle were all improved. The T200 6-48 ended up being the best fitting iron for me and utilizing a TS2 19 deg and 23 deg hybrid will help with my long club struggles. I was very shocked to find the results and would recommend club fitting from an actual club fitter not a box store. While I was there he spent extra time with me looking at Driver, Fairway, and Wedges.  I am going to try to completely sell my clubs and start fresh with new gear that I know has been fitted properly for me. Thank you for all of your information and help!!! 

Best, 
Matt 

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1