Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Iron Fitting Question

stj51

Earlier this spring I went to Dick's Sporting Goods for a "Club Fitting". At the time I didn't really know any better. He asked what my handicap was and what am I currently hitting. He was like alright SIM Max will be best for higher handicap, said add an inch to the shafts because I'm 6'1", I took a few swings he said looks great and ordered them for me. I have been having a hard time hitting them, especially anything over a 7 iron. After extensive research, some lessons, and a lot of practice I have decided to change it up.

After reading the Best Game Improvement Irons I have set up a T300 fitting on Titleist Thursday's in a few weeks at a local Country Club to be truly fit with Trackman, etc. 

I understand a lot of game improvement irons are the same when it comes to the heads. My question is am I better off trying to getting fit for new shafts on what I already have or keep searching until I find the club head and shaft that work for my game best?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

I would bring what you have to your fitting and ask the fitter to evaluate what you have. Sometimes it's just a shaft change. If DSG didn't measure your wrist to floor length then adding 1" might have been decided incorrectly. Could be as simple as cutting the shafts shorter because you only needed an additional 1/2". Let the fitter tell you. If he's a good fitter he won't try to push you into something you don't need.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

@stj51 to piggy back on @Tom the Golf Nut, with your current longer clubs, you could try choking down 1/2" and 1" to see if it is shaft length alone that is part of the problem with your current clubs. 

There are a host of things that could be affecting the outcome: shaft weight, shaft flex, shaft length, swing path, face open/closed, scooping/steep, lie angle, and grip size, to name a few. 

Cutting down a club is as simple as remove a grip, hacksaw, new grip. 

I hope you get it sorted. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Hard to answer you question. Maybe the sim max clubs are fine maybe not. You indicate you are taking lessons, what does you instructor think? The titleist Thursday fitting will use you clubs as a reference to show improvement but they won’t fit those clubs to you but will give you some specs to see how far off your clubs might be off.

While most clubs are similar some heads and shaft combos may work better than others. That said, a player should be able to get fit into any head.

I think you will learn a lot at the titleist Thursday that will help answer you questions

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hard to answer you question. Maybe the sim max clubs are fine maybe not. You indicate you are taking lessons, what does you instructor think? The titleist Thursday fitting will use you clubs as a reference to show improvement but they won’t fit those clubs to you but will give you some specs to see how far off your clubs might be off.

While most clubs are similar some heads and shaft combos may work better than others. That said, a player should be able to get fit into any head.

I think you will learn a lot at the titleist Thursday that will help answer you questions

My instructor though they were a little long as well but mentioned to try and not choke up as that adds stiffness to the shaft and said to try to go through a proper fitting with what I have and with a few other combos as well. Titleist Thursday is my first stopping point and will continue to do research until I find what is best 

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)

Earlier this spring I went to Dick's Sporting Goods for a "Club Fitting". At the time I didn't really know any better. He asked what my handicap was and what am I currently hitting. He was like alright SIM Max will be best for higher handicap, said add an inch to the shafts because I'm 6'1", I took a few swings he said looks great and ordered them for me. I have been having a hard time hitting them, especially anything over a 7 iron. After extensive research, some lessons, and a lot of practice I have decided to change it up.

After reading the Best Game Improvement Irons I have set up a T300 fitting on Titleist Thursday's in a few weeks at a local Country Club to be truly fit with Trackman, etc. 

I understand a lot of game improvement irons are the same when it comes to the heads. My question is am I better off trying to getting fit for new shafts on what I already have or keep searching until I find the club head and shaft that work for my game best?

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

You can try and retro for the other irons, but you might run into the problem of adjusting lie angle. Most repair guys won’t change lie angle more than 1 degree on TM irons. And then if you do need new shafts, the cost of the shafts, shipping, grips, and install might not be worth it. If the irons are way off based on the Titleist fitting, I would sell the irons and start fresh. Chalk it up to living and learning. If they aren’t far from what the Titleist fitter says, then I would stick with what you have and make the adjustments.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

My instructor though they were a little long as well but mentioned to try and not choke up as that adds stiffness to the shaft and said to try to go through a proper fitting with what I have and with a few other combos as well. Titleist Thursday is my first stopping point and will continue to do research until I find what is best 

Choking up an inch won’t add significant stiffness. If they are simply an inch long, you can cut the shafts down. Many players choke down to control distance.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 10/30/2020 at 10:37 AM, stj51 said:

Um... what?

LOL, no, choking up does not add stiffness to the shaft.  It will feel lighter, due to the reduced swingweight of a shorter club, but definitely not stiffer.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

Um... what?

LOL, no, choking up does not add stiffness to the shaft.  It will feel lighter, due to the reduced swingweight of a shorter club, but definitely not stiffer.

I think technically the shaft would swing marginally stiffer as @cnosil suggested, but I'm not sure it'd be enough to really notice.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

3 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I think technically the shaft would swing marginally stiffer as @cnosil suggested, but I'm not sure it'd be enough to really notice.

It would ultimately depend on the profile, but it would require a soft butt and stiff mid shaft to get it to move in that direction.

Clubmakers tests that I've seen required inches removed from the butt before you would see the shaft's frequency or deflection move off that same flex.  For some, not even then.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

It definitely sounds like you had a poor "fitting" if that's what they call it. Static measurements help give you an idea of where to start but you should have swung a couple different clubs in different shafts for proper fit. Depending on where/how you're missing the clubs above 7 will tell a lot. For example, if you're having trouble getting the ball in the air, or nuking your avg distance, you likely are playing too stiff or too heavy. If you're missing left to right/ right to left, different story. for us mere mortals, 1-2* in lie angle can make a big difference in ball flight provided you're consistent in your swing. 

If you made the purchase fairly recently and the clubs are still in good shape, I'd contact DSG and tell them that you had a poor fitting experience and are unhappy with the results. I have a friend that did something similar with one of the big box stores, purchased on a whim, and when he went back 2 months later they worked with him to get a set of Callaways instead which he now loves. He was "fitted" with 130g xs low launch shafts before and now plays 105g stiff. They even let him keep the irons for the 3 months that it took for Callaway to ship the order. If nothing else you may be able to get credit towards the irons to defray some of the cost of the T300. 

Although a bit different I hit the Sim, Sim Max, and the T200 and found the T200 to blow the Sim line out of the water. I had a lot more feel and easier distance control with the T200s.  I have a friend who was a TM junkie that just purchased the T300 and never looked back. Good luck! 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update. I did the Titleist Thursday yesterday and it was very informative. The experts started laughing when I told them about my experience. Once I started swinging they were shocked. My club head speed with 7 iron was consistently in the 90's and ball speed was averaging in the 120's. The second he put me in a stiff shaft with the T200 and T300 , ball speed went into the 140s, and my dispersion, ball flight and landing angle were all improved. The T200 6-48 ended up being the best fitting iron for me and utilizing a TS2 19 deg and 23 deg hybrid will help with my long club struggles. I was very shocked to find the results and would recommend club fitting from an actual club fitter not a box store. While I was there he spent extra time with me looking at Driver, Fairway, and Wedges.  I am going to try to completely sell my clubs and start fresh with new gear that I know has been fitted properly for me. Thank you for all of your information and help!!! 

Best, 
Matt 

That's great that you got to a TT, I'm a big advocate of that program.  Love the T200 setup as well.   But I have to ask, did I read this correctly or perhaps it's a typo, you went from ball speed in the 120's to into the 140's still with a 7 iron?   With a swing speed in the 90's...which I certainly realize is tour level,  that seems like an awfully high number.   So what did your carry end up with that set up on the 7?

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

54 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That's great that you got to a TT, I'm a big advocate of that program.  Love the T200 setup as well.   But I have to ask, did I read this correctly or perhaps it's a typo, you went from ball speed in the 120's to into the 140's still with a 7 iron?   With a swing speed in the 90's...which I certainly realize is tour level,  that seems like an awfully high number.   So what did your carry end up with that set up on the 7?

It might have been me misunderstanding, I thought he said ball speed but he could have meant carry. I remember club head speed was 92mph, and roll out ended up around 175 because he made a comment that that was a huge jump, I believe he said I made a 3 club jump essentially by having stiff shaft and T200. I wonder if the club speed I thought he was talking about is ball speed? I'm not sure to be honest, so much numbers were thrown at me I can't honestly recall.

Edited by stj51

Wanted to provide an update. I did the Titleist Thursday yesterday and it was very informative. The experts started laughing when I told them about my experience. Once I started swinging they were shocked. My club head speed with 7 iron was consistently in the 90's and ball speed was averaging in the 120's. The second he put me in a stiff shaft with the T200 and T300 , ball speed went into the 140s, and my dispersion, ball flight and landing angle were all improved. The T200 6-48 ended up being the best fitting iron for me and utilizing a TS2 19 deg and 23 deg hybrid will help with my long club struggles. I was very shocked to find the results and would recommend club fitting from an actual club fitter not a box store. While I was there he spent extra time with me looking at Driver, Fairway, and Wedges.  I am going to try to completely sell my clubs and start fresh with new gear that I know has been fitted properly for me. Thank you for all of your information and help!!! 

Best, 
Matt 

With a 7 iron speed in the 90s, is there a reason that your fitter didn’t go extra stiff? Did he discuss that option with you? Just curious, because consistent 90+ swings with a 7 usually equates to something pretty stiff.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

7 minutes ago, Rtracymog said:

With a 7 iron speed in the 90s, is there a reason that your fitter didn’t go extra stiff? Did he discuss that option with you? Just curious, because consistent 90+ swings with a 7 usually equates to something pretty stiff.

He had me trial a few different shafts and flexes and the s300 were what had best landing angles and dispersion and that was his thought process to help with more GIR's. I sent him an emailing asking if he had the specific numbers or if he remembers, I'm wondering if I misunderstood club head speed as ball speed. 

3 hours ago, stj51 said:

It might have been me misunderstanding, I thought he said ball speed but he could have meant carry. I remember club head speed was 92mph, and roll out ended up around 175 because he made a comment that that was a huge jump, I believe he said I made a 3 club jump essentially by having stiff shaft and T200. I wonder if the club speed I thought he was talking about is ball speed? I'm not sure to be honest, so much numbers were thrown at me I can't honestly recall.

Yeah, that can definitely happen with a fitting and so many numbers.  I do know not all TT fitters send out a complete report of the numbers during the fitting, I try to take a picture of a the screen with all the numbers if I can remember to think about it.

A swing speed with a 7 in the 90's would definitely be much more than 140 yards, it would be right or around the 175 you mention.   

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, that can definitely happen with a fitting and so many numbers.  I do know not all TT fitters send out a complete report of the numbers during the fitting, I try to take a picture of a the screen with all the numbers if I can remember to think about it.

A swing speed with a 7 in the 90's would definitely be much more than 140 yards, it would be right or around the 175 you mention.   

They don't keep the specific data but he did remember that swing speed was in the 90's so the 175 must've been carry not roll out, I remember with T300 was around 168 average. Either way super happy with the process and super excited to get some new sticks and to try to improve my game more!! 

49 minutes ago, stj51 said:

They don't keep the specific data but he did remember that swing speed was in the 90's so the 175 must've been carry not roll out, I remember with T300 was around 168 average. Either way super happy with the process and super excited to get some new sticks and to try to improve my game more!! 

That’s exactly right. Numbers are just numbers.  The results on course and being happy with your setup is all that matters.  

sometimes we all get to caught up in chasing or over analyzing numbers—and i include myself—when what really matters is getting the ball in tbe hole! 

Comgrats!