Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Winter Practice

JAGolfore

As the weather gets colder here in the Midwest I know most of us are looking for the next warm day to golf and some of the members hear have already moved to indoors.  I wanted to share my goals for the winter season to come out playing my best next spring.  I am fortunate enough, one to work from home normally and two, have an indoor space to hit balls and practice putting.  Over the next 151 days (April 1, 2021) my goal is to hit 10,000 quality practice shots anywhere from 50 yards to 215 yards LW through 5 iron. And make 10,000 5 foot putts.  This averages out to 67 shots a day and 67 putts a day.  Some days I should be able to do this easily.  Some days I will not be able to do any.  It will be interesting to see how close we get to the 10,000 goal, and to see if they can all be quality shots, not just swinging to swing.  I do plan to pick back up with the superspeed sticks again after the new year as I do not want to get into everything at once and over use my body.  It would be nice to go full on Bryson, but that is not the level I am at. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Sounds like a great routine.  I think that the 10000 putts will be the key to improvement.  as a + handicap, you already know how important those 5 footers are.  Good Luck and keep us posted.

M2 Driver Fujikura Regular Flex

Mizuno 921 Tour Irons-- Titleist Wedges

A new Sik Armlock putter

• 4 weeks later...

One month in the books.  I know I said full on Bryson would be nice, well a trip to the Dr. for a physical and that will not be happening.  Good news is I am down 8 lbs.  Now with my job I travel a lot and it is impossible to practice every day.  But I was able to get some really good days in and workout almost every day.  In November I was able to hit 1390 quality practice shots in the garage and hit almost 1000 5' putts.  I hope December lets me practice a little more but I am on the road for work 10 of the next 12 days and then hopefully done for the year.  

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 1 month later...

With December now in the books I was able to get a little more practice in.  I hit over 1900 balls, made 1570 of 1580 5' putts and was able to start getting back into shape.  I expect January to be very similar.  I have hit over 3900 balls so far this winter and over 2100 putts.  I will be very interested in seeing how the game comes out of the winter.  I should be able to play a round or two in Feb if not more than that. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 1 month later...

Time for another update.  I am not going to be anywhere close to 10,000 balls hit or putts, but hopefully progress is being made as we have our first tournament of the year on Feb 15th in the Tampa area.  I have hit over 3328 5' putts making 3269 of them so far.  I have also hit over 5170 shots this winter on my skytrak.  My swing feels really good and I have been able to hit outside a few times at heated driving ranges.  I am really looking forward to the next 14 days as if I play well I should get about 90 holes of golf in and 72 of those being tournament rounds. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I have updated this.  February was a busy month for work and I was not able to get the practice in that I wanted.  I was able to get in 3 rounds of golf though and one was a tournament.  Over all for the month I hit 770 balls in the garage and 655 putts.  Totals for the winter through Feb are now, 5943 shots and 3983 putts.  I also have invested in a putt out training aid and that alone is going to help us a lot come spring.  I can tell my game is way ahead of where it normally is this time of year and I am looking forward to warmer weather and getting the chance to hit balls outside. 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

JB - 50* 54* & 60*