TESTERS WANTED! ×

How do you know if you are hitting the ball too high?

dlow206

Let me preface this, I used to hit all of my irons low and left. Because of that, I was fit into the Mavrik Max irons with Nippon 950 Neo shafts (high launch, mid-high spin shaft). This combo increased my peak height with my 7 iron by 15 feet, so it was a good fit at the time. 

Now, with some swing changes, i hit a high fade, which is much better and more behaved than the low and left shots. I still swing a little left too much and still swing a bit too steep, but my instructor said its playable. 

With all my short irons (8 iron and above), I feel like I hit a sky high fade, that seems almost too high. I know most amateurs actually don't hit the ball high enough and need more spin, but I am questioning whether i am now in the category of those that hit the ball too high and losing some distance. On full swings, my ball normally stops dead on the green right where it lands, or rolls back slightly (but not the crazy zip back backspin that the pros have). 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

You probably need to get on trackman or GCQuad to get good information.  As a combination of launch, Dynamic loft, spin, apex and desent angle all combined will give you the best answer.   

Without those, it’s truly a guessing game. Any one of them individually could lead you to a wrong conclusion. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

As Rob mentions there’s no way for anyone to tell if you are hitting to high and that height is causing you distance without seeing numbers.

With that said looking at what your ball is doing at the apex will indicate if you are spinning the ball too much and losing distance.   If your ball gets to the apex and then continues to rise likes ballon you have to much spin.

If you are having too much spin it’s more than likely going to be how you deliver the club rather than the club/shaft combo

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As Rob mentions there’s no way for anyone to tell if you are hitting to high and that height is causing you distance without seeing numbers.

With that said looking at what your ball is doing at the apex will indicate if you are spinning the ball too much and losing distance.   If your ball gets to the apex and then continues to rise likes ballon you have to much spin.

If you are having too much spin it’s more than likely going to be how you deliver the club rather than the club/shaft combo

This is a great point.  I believe that point on how the club head is delivered vs shaft was a topic on one of TXG’s videos. 

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This is a great point.  I believe that point on how the club head is delivered vs shaft was a topic on one of TXG’s videos. 

I recall one of their videos covering that. Iirc andrew rice has posted some videos with lm data on that as well as contact points

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I will try to get some Trackman numbers soon, and probably go for an iron fitting sometime after the new year. Waiting for those G425 irons to come out lol.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

4 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I will try to get some Trackman numbers soon, and probably go for an iron fitting sometime after the new year. Waiting for those G425 irons to come out lol.

What do you think the g425 will provide the MAVRIK max doesn’t 

36 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What do you think the g425 will provide the MAVRIK max doesn’t 

Something new LOL.

Other than that, want to try the power spec lofts, see if i can get more distance with similar dispersion. Also, considering graphite shafts, would like something easier on the body, especially the elbows.

Updated 07/15/2022

2 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Let me preface this, I used to hit all of my irons low and left. Because of that, I was fit into the Mavrik Max irons with Nippon 950 Neo shafts (high launch, mid-high spin shaft). This combo increased my peak height with my 7 iron by 15 feet, so it was a good fit at the time. 

Now, with some swing changes, i hit a high fade, which is much better and more behaved than the low and left shots. I still swing a little left too much and still swing a bit too steep, but my instructor said its playable. 

With all my short irons (8 iron and above), I feel like I hit a sky high fade, that seems almost too high. I know most amateurs actually don't hit the ball high enough and need more spin, but I am questioning whether i am now in the category of those that hit the ball too high and losing some distance. On full swings, my ball normally stops dead on the green right where it lands, or rolls back slightly (but not the crazy zip back backspin that the pros have). 

Have you ever been to a Tour event? Those guys LAUNCH it!  But they do flight their wedges situation dependent......if you can bring your flight down in the short irons, I wouldn't be overly concerned with any other club......except driver, if you're not getting runout with driver then a change might be needed....

Iron shots that use decent angle is a great way to play. 

What is your hdcp, 7i carry and swingspeed is known?  

16 minutes ago, TMAG-FIREMEDIC said:

Have you ever been to a Tour event? Those guys LAUNCH it!  But they do flight their wedges situation dependent......if you can bring your flight down in the short irons, I wouldn't be overly concerned with any other club......except driver, if you're not getting runout with driver then a change might be needed....

Iron shots that use decent angle is a great way to play. 

What is your hdcp, 7i carry and swingspeed is known?  

My driver is a different story, I tend to launch too low.

My handicap is between 21 and 22 right now, have been playing golf regularly for the last year, but had played for short periods at various stages of my life, but never consistently like this year. My 7 iron carry has gone down recently, i need to check on Trackman, but its probably around 155. Don't know my swingspeed with a 7 iron these days, but driver swing speed is around 99 to 105. 

Updated 07/15/2022

If you have good gaps between your irons, I don't think you have an issue.  Your instructor should be able to teach you to hit a knock down shot when needed.  Otherwise, enjoy the shots that come in high and stop on a dime.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Do you have the link by any chance? Would love to watch that. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

On 11/1/2020 at 5:45 PM, dlow206 said:

The first question really is, what is "high"? Generally speaking it's all relative and doesn't have to be to tour spec so long as you're putting the ball where you need it consistently. I have a similar problem where I sky just about everything I hit including my driver. It's great when you need to clear obstacles, but a nightmare if there's serious wind. To give you an idea of what I mean I'm looking at 38yds avg height off my 7i where the tour avg is 32yds. Distance is still acceptable for me so I haven't gone crazy changing my setup and will be working on my swing in the off-season. If you feel like you're coming in too high and it's affecting your distance it may be worth considering de-lofting your clubs a bit before buying a new set. Get some data, it'll definitely help!

Too high it not really a thing. 

Too much spin is. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

like a lot of people are saying, “high” or “too high” is completely relative. 

club speed and dynamic loft are going to dictate your launch angle, and consequently the height of your ball. 

0C68B7D5-80A8-4F76-ABCC-DEC87F5B4D35.jpeg.e0dbd9beebee710e4bf9c520fb469e25.jpeg

for example: this shot went “too high”. my 7i has 34* of loft. ideally, i’d like to deliver 27-28* of dynamic loft at impact in order to get my ideal ball flight.

on this shot i delivered 33* which launched the ball extremely high. i forget the actual ball flight data on this shot, but i think the apex was around 150ft, where the tour average 7i goes about 100ft in the air  

as a result, i lost 6-7 yards of carry from my usual 7i distance...and that’s on a LM with no wind to deal with. into even a 5mph headwind, i’m coming up 15 yards or so short of the green on my approach. 

in short - a quick indication of “too high” would be continuously coming up a club or more short on your approaches. either your ball is too high and getting bullied by the wind, or the trajectory is just too steep and you’re not getting the carry you should. 

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

1 hour ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Do you have the link by any chance? Would love to watch that. 

Ah man.  Sorry. I’ve seen so many of their videos, i can’t recall.  Often times its not even the subject of the title, but Ian will let loose with some golden nugget of information.  And you’re just like...wow! 

1 hour ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Too high it not really a thing. 

Too much spin is. 

Too high is totally a thing! Played Bethpage Black for the first time this year with absurd levels of wind in soggy conditions. Contact with my irons was absolutely out of this world (shocked since I was so nervous) and it did absolutely nothing for me. The ball kept floating off in the most frustrating of patterns on what felt like pure shots forcing me to play out of craters in the rough, sand or fairway. I'm pretty sure the local wildlife was facing extinction from the meteors that were dropping off my club. 

Too high + too much spin is a death sentence 😩

31 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Ah man.  Sorry. I’ve seen so many of their videos, i can’t recall.  Often times its not even the subject of the title, but Ian will let loose with some golden nugget of information.  And you’re just like...wow! 

I know the feeling. I get sucked into video after video that I can't possibly relate to and then realize it's 3h later, I learned so much about people so far-fetched from my ability, and haven't gotten any work done. And then, of course, I always wonder what kind of drugs do I have to source to get to Matt's numbers... 😅

15 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Too high + too much spin is a death sentence 😩

Not caused by hitting it too high. Caused by too much spin. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

On 11/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, THEZIPR23 said:

Not caused by hitting it too high. Caused by too much spin. 

Agreed.  

I've told this before, so I'll try not babble on too much.  I spent a fair bit of time playing Mizuno MS-11s, hit them rather high, and with too much spin; I was getting killed on into the wind shots.  On a lark, I'd hit some Eye2+, and I was so excited about the 1000-1500 rpm lower spin, I didn't pay attention to the launch angle. 

On the course, I was a little alarmed at how high I hit the Pings, noticeably higher than the Mizunos.  However, I found I could not only play decently into the wind, I could ignore breezes that formerly caused me to club up.  As the Zipper says, spin rules.

For actual numbers....   Mizuno 6 iron, 7000+ rpm, 19* launch.  The most spin I could generate with the Eye2+ 6 iron was 6100, most shots were a couple hundred rpm lower.  The 6i was my 175-180 club.

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

On 11/2/2020 at 6:38 PM, AcesAndHoles said:

I know the feeling. I get sucked into video after video that I can't possibly relate to and then realize it's 3h later, I learned so much about people so far-fetched from my ability, and haven't gotten any work done. And then, of course, I always wonder what kind of drugs do I have to source to get to Matt's numbers... 😅

What's crazy is you expect him to be like 6'3", nope shorty.  Like where does he get all that speed? 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

2 minutes ago, ejcrossl said:

What's crazy is you expect him to be like 6'3", nope shorty.  Like where does he get all that speed? 

Unless he is my height or shorter (5'5"), he's not that short lol. what is he, like 5'10"?

Updated 07/15/2022

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Unless he is my height or shorter (5'5"), he's not that short lol. what is he, like 5'10"?

Yeah I think so.  I'm 5'10" and always felt short.  All the guys around me are like 6'1" to 6'4".  

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

6 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

Matt is about 5’10” i’d say.  I know what you mean about the 6’3” thing.  When i was to meet him on the ra gr before our round, I was kind of looking for a 6’3” skinny guy.  When i saw him, i kinda did a double tske. 

He just has really good turn and hip speed, to generate that clubspeed.  

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Matt is about 5’10” i’d say.  I know what you mean about the 6’3” thing.  When i was to meet him on the ra gr before our round, I was kind of looking for a 6’3” skinny guy.  When i saw him, i kinda did a double tske. 

He just has really good turn and hip speed, to generate that clubspeed.  

I forget what video it was, but I was in shock....I'm like woah he isn't super tall?   Time to subscribe to Larry Chung school of massive swing speed.  

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

16 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

i’m 5’10” on a good day, probably actually 5’9” with more speed than matt. 

it comes in all different packages!

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

Just now, Shankster said:

I’m 5’11” and slow.  I can practice at 115+ mph all day.  But I bet on the course I only swing at 106.. maybe.  Why is that I wonder.

i see that with some of my buddies i play with. 

they swing wide open at the range and then throttle it back on the course. 

i think it’s knowing that a huge mishit on the range doesn’t cost you anything. you’ve got 100 more to work it out. 

that’s two strokes on the course. 

that’s my theory. i’m no doctor, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last year 

Just now, Chip Strokes said:

i see that with some of my buddies i play with. 

they swing wide open at the range and then throttle it back on the course. 

i think it’s knowing that a huge mishit on the range doesn’t cost you anything. you’ve got 100 more to work it out. 

that’s two strokes on the course. 

that’s my theory. i’m no doctor, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last year 

I usually don’t care if I send one off into the wild blue yonder on the course.

And I scrutinize every single swing on the range.  

maybe I just need to full send and not worry, my escape skills used to be pretty good because of this.. 😂😂

Just now, Shankster said:

I usually don’t care if I send one off into the wild blue yonder on the course.

And I scrutinize every single swing on the range.  

maybe I just need to full send and not worry, my escape skills used to be pretty good because of this.. 😂😂

i let it rip with the driver. that’s how i’m comfortable swinging it. 

on the course i find myself babying my irons and wedges sometimes. 

stupid game!