How do you know if you are hitting the ball too high?

Our Sponsors

On 11/2/2020 at 6:38 PM, AcesAndHoles said:

I know the feeling. I get sucked into video after video that I can't possibly relate to and then realize it's 3h later, I learned so much about people so far-fetched from my ability, and haven't gotten any work done. And then, of course, I always wonder what kind of drugs do I have to source to get to Matt's numbers... 😅

What's crazy is you expect him to be like 6'3", nope shorty.  Like where does he get all that speed? 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

2 minutes ago, ejcrossl said:

What's crazy is you expect him to be like 6'3", nope shorty.  Like where does he get all that speed? 

Unless he is my height or shorter (5'5"), he's not that short lol. what is he, like 5'10"?

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

8 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Unless he is my height or shorter (5'5"), he's not that short lol. what is he, like 5'10"?

Yeah I think so.  I'm 5'10" and always felt short.  All the guys around me are like 6'1" to 6'4".  

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

6 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

Matt is about 5’10” i’d say.  I know what you mean about the 6’3” thing.  When i was to meet him on the ra gr before our round, I was kind of looking for a 6’3” skinny guy.  When i saw him, i kinda did a double tske. 

He just has really good turn and hip speed, to generate that clubspeed.  

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

9 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Matt is about 5’10” i’d say.  I know what you mean about the 6’3” thing.  When i was to meet him on the ra gr before our round, I was kind of looking for a 6’3” skinny guy.  When i saw him, i kinda did a double tske. 

He just has really good turn and hip speed, to generate that clubspeed.  

I forget what video it was, but I was in shock....I'm like woah he isn't super tall?   Time to subscribe to Larry Chung school of massive swing speed.  

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

16 hours ago, ejcrossl said:

i’m 5’10” on a good day, probably actually 5’9” with more speed than matt. 

it comes in all different packages!

:taylormade-small: SIM2 8º | KuroKage XT 70TX
:taylormade-small: SIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX
:titelist-small: U500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
:titelist-small: T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
::vokey-small: SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
:scotty-small:  Futura 5w

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

i’m 5’10” on a good day, probably actually 5’9” with more speed than matt. 

it comes in all different packages!

I’m 5’11” and slow.  I can practice at 115+ mph all day.  But I bet on the course I only swing at 106.. maybe.  Why is that I wonder.

Just now, Shankster said:

I’m 5’11” and slow.  I can practice at 115+ mph all day.  But I bet on the course I only swing at 106.. maybe.  Why is that I wonder.

i see that with some of my buddies i play with. 

they swing wide open at the range and then throttle it back on the course. 

i think it’s knowing that a huge mishit on the range doesn’t cost you anything. you’ve got 100 more to work it out. 

that’s two strokes on the course. 

that’s my theory. i’m no doctor, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last year 

• Like 4

Just now, Chip Strokes said:

i think it’s knowing that a huge mishit on the range doesn’t cost you anything. you’ve got 100 more to work it out. 

that’s my theory. i’m no doctor, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last year 

I usually don’t care if I send one off into the wild blue yonder on the course.

And I scrutinize every single swing on the range.  

maybe I just need to full send and not worry, my escape skills used to be pretty good because of this.. 😂😂

• Haha 1
Just now, Shankster said:

maybe I just need to full send and not worry, my escape skills used to be pretty good because of this.. 😂😂

i let it rip with the driver. that’s how i’m comfortable swinging it. 

on the course i find myself babying my irons and wedges sometimes. 

stupid game!

• Like 1

I am 5'5" and swing with a lot of effort. Unfortunately a lot of that effort is inefficient, so the swing speed is slow lol.

Updated 12/27/2020

Let me preface this, I used to hit all of my irons low and left. Because of that, I was fit into the Mavrik Max irons with Nippon 950 Neo shafts (high launch, mid-high spin shaft). This combo increased my peak height with my 7 iron by 15 feet, so it was a good fit at the time. 
Now, with some swing changes, i hit a high fade, which is much better and more behaved than the low and left shots. I still swing a little left too much and still swing a bit too steep, but my instructor said its playable. 
With all my short irons (8 iron and above), I feel like I hit a sky high fade, that seems almost too high. I know most amateurs actually don't hit the ball high enough and need more spin, but I am questioning whether i am now in the category of those that hit the ball too high and losing some distance. On full swings, my ball normally stops dead on the green right where it lands, or rolls back slightly (but not the crazy zip back backspin that the pros have). 

What does your glove hand grip look like? I used to hit the same type of shots until I took some lessons, where I learned that my weak glove hand grip was delivering to much effective loft at impact: essentially I was turning a 7 iron into a 9 iron. Like others said, you need launch and spin data to confirm: I never thought my grip was a problem since I was hitting my 7 iron 175 yards, I just thought my ball flight was crazy high. Obviously changing your grip will change your delivery of club to ball, but without stats it’d be hard to say if it’s the shaft or not.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

24CC2B3B-0E46-4165-97D1-F1CA4C5041C8.png

On 11/11/2020 at 10:22 AM, Chip Strokes said:

Its insanely gratifying to smoke balls at full speed. It's absolutely not practical. Sadly it can be more than 2 strokes 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

On 11/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, Shankster said:

There are times when I find a wildly open fairway and will straight up call a scrap ball just to see what I can do with it with a full swing. 😅

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Wilson D7 Forged 4-P

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line

AKA the #FourPuttPrince. 👑

1 hour ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Its insanely gratifying to smoke balls at full speed. It's absolutely not practical. Sadly it can be more than 2 strokes 

My first several years playing golf, I was too close to a max effort guy, especially off the tee.  It was normal for me to have 1 or 2 penalty strokes each round, and other punch out situations.  Emphasis on plural.

Ironically, once I was able to back off the effort, I found my maximum speed.  Which was a little frightening, actually.  For a while, I found myself looking seriously at PX 7.0.  If X7 had been available at the time, or at least on my radar, I would have had a set.

Didn't last too long, fortunately for my bank balance.  LOL

Sorry, this sounds all humble-braggy.  Apologies for that, but I'll leave it up so folks can hopefully sift something useful out of the BS.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

• 4 weeks later...

As an experiment, I’d use the Shot Vision app just to see what it shows on your launch angle. As the review link below suggests, it’s not the best form of information but may be serviceable for what you’re seeking. If I read correctly, that’s if you are launching it too high. 

https://mygolfspy.com/we-tried-it-shot-vision-app/

Given your handicap and distance you provided, I’d then look at the averages by club on the Trackman link below. Id also maybe focus on the LPGA numbers rather than PGA numbers as swing speeds, ball speeds, etc. are likely more attainable for us mid to high handicappers. 

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Manage your expectations, but could be a cheap/free way to check that stat your asking about. If it’s inconclusive, you didn’t spend anything and you can seek other information. If you like the answer, then you may be able to focus on something else in your technique. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme, Hzrds Yellow

:taylormade-small: r11 S Fairway Wood

:taylormade-small: RBZ Stage 2 3-4 Hybrids

:titelist-small: 690MB/CB Iron Set 5-PW

:cleveland-small:  Tour Action, 52-56-60

:odyssey-small:  White Ice D.A.R.T.

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft

Right-handed

On 11/1/2020 at 5:45 PM, dlow206 said:

Let me preface this, I used to hit all of my irons low and left. Because of that, I was fit into the Mavrik Max irons with Nippon 950 Neo shafts (high launch, mid-high spin shaft). This combo increased my peak height with my 7 iron by 15 feet, so it was a good fit at the time. 

Now, with some swing changes, i hit a high fade, which is much better and more behaved than the low and left shots. I still swing a little left too much and still swing a bit too steep, but my instructor said its playable. 

With all my short irons (8 iron and above), I feel like I hit a sky high fade, that seems almost too high. I know most amateurs actually don't hit the ball high enough and need more spin, but I am questioning whether i am now in the category of those that hit the ball too high and losing some distance. On full swings, my ball normally stops dead on the green right where it lands, or rolls back slightly (but not the crazy zip back backspin that the pros have). 

Do you like the 950 NEO shafts? My swing speed is close to yours with some of the number you listed below, I felt like it was very low in torque, found myself hitting a lot of high iron shots during a fitting. Unfortunately I could feel it bending like you would expect out of a regular shaft. I understand that by looking for graphite in the future you may be trying to cut down on weight which I think the 950 accomplishes, but this would also allow for you to get into a stiffer shaft profile which could help control club face and decrease spin affecting the dynamic loft . Something to look at but obviously not the whole answer

Edited by RollingGreens

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder

20 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Do you like the 950 NEO shafts? My swing speed is close to yours with some of the number you listed below, I felt like it was very low in torque, found myself hitting a lot of high iron shots during a fitting. Unfortunately I could feel it bending like you would expect out of a regular shaft. I understand that by looking for graphite in the future you may be trying to cut down on weight which I think the 950 accomplishes, but this would also allow for you to get into a stiffer shaft profile which could help control club face and decrease spin affecting the dynamic loft . Something to look at but obviously not the whole answer

I am actually going to experiment with a heavier shaft than the 950. In the past, launch monitors show that my path is less left with a heavier shaft. The graphite idea was to reduce injuries, but am going to put in some shock absorbing foam in the steel shafts.

Updated 12/27/2020

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

I am actually going to experiment with a heavier shaft than the 950. In the past, launch monitors show that my path is less left with a heavier shaft. The graphite idea was to reduce injuries, but am going to put in some shock absorbing foam in the steel shafts.

Injuries are a bummer. Hopefully you have a good physical therapist in your area

:titelist-small: TS3 Tensei Av Raw White 65s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White or King Cobra UT 18.5 with KBS C Taper

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-GW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM7 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex stiff

:odyssey-small:  Double Wide Stroke Lab 2019 with Super Stroke Tour 3.0

:Snell: MTB-X Golf Ball or Vice Pro Plus

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

Leupod Gx2i3 Rangefinder