Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Chipping vs the 7i bump and run

I learned to hit a chip shot at a young age with my 60 deg wedge from a dad that took his wedge game seriously. He’s a Vokey guy and by the holy customs of hand-me-down, I am too. I carry a 52, and 56 and a 60. Now I’m not sure how new this idea is, but I keep running into guys, whose coach/trainer say something like this: oh those high loft wedges “are really just for the pros” and anyone who seriously wants to improve their score should just do a simple bump and run with their 7 iron whenever possible and not even bother with a wedge. 
Thoughts on that? 

I mean I love chipping from inside 50 yards. It’s the only shot where I really feel I have a somewhat reasonable chance of sinking it from outside the green. And when I hear this argument it makes me think maybe people don’t have enough confidence in their wedges? 

I guess I’m probably missing something. I’m definitely not trying to put anyone down here and most guys i know that use the 7i bump and rub can kick my 🍑. I’m just about every aspect of the game. For someone who loves wedges, is there someone that can give me a deep dive into this trade off? I’d love to hear what y’all have to say. In short what would be the pros/cons to bagging my wedge and going with my 7? 

Putter- Wilson staff Michigan Ave

Wedges 52-56-60 titleist vokey

Irons P, 9-4 titleist

taylormade 19 degree fairway wood

3 wood titleist 15 degree

driver- my recent self indulgence. Honma 747 World set at ten degrees. X-Stiff shaft. 

I share the same feeling I visualize wedge sending the ball high and close to the hole with my LW or SW   I tried and  wasn’t very consistent with a low lofted iron chipping from off the green.   I rather deloft my wedge if I have lots of green to work with for a “chip and roll” than using 7 iron   I think as long it works for you then stick with whatever method is consistent.

I use my wedges although when the time comes I’ll bump and run. Had to do that today as I had a bunker in front of the pin but a tree just left, so has to thread the needle to get it on the green. Should be a shot you practice but doesn’t have to be your stock chip shot. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

@Jwilson95 it comes down to what people get more used to and score better with. 

The 7i bump and run is a true chip more than a lofted wedge which more of a true pitch. 

My definition of a chip is a stroke that is mostly like a putt with little to no wrist action to limit the distance in a controlled manor. 

My definition of a pitch is a shortened stroke, when compared with a full swing, to carry shorter distances than full swings but, carry farther than a short chip and, usually has some form of wrist hinge. 

Semantics of chip or pitch don't matter but, the execution of those two shots is very different. I can understand why a weekend golfer, who doesn't practice much, would feel more comfortable chipping a mid iron instead of pitching a lofted wedge - the shorter stroke has a lot less that can go wrong. 

But, a bump and run is lie dependent. You have to be able to land the ball in a place that will allow a long run out. 

The lofted wedge will not run out as far so, you can land closer to the target. The rub comes in making a partial swing of different size/speed to create different lengths - another struggle for some. 

I play both the wedge and bumps whenever I want interchangeabley - mostly just to keep myself entertained and fool around with variety. 

50 yards out to a front pin - I don't think anyone is going for a 7i bump and run pitch shot. But, a back pin with a big green and coming from under a tree - every time.

Close to the green is where I can agree with bump and runs more than high loft - I'm talking about less than 10 yards off the green. Using a putting stroke, a simple mid iron chip will clear alot of the rough and roll up to the pin with little effort and a short swing. The higher lofted wedge would need a bigger movement to go the same distance which can bring the dreaded skull across the green into play. I've even chipped with my fairway wood when I am on the fringe to bump and run. 

That's why I love golf - lots of ways to be creative and have fun. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

Some people really struggle with chipping and putting despite the fact that they are the shortest swings and require very little physical strength or athletic ability.  The frustration of a missed chip or putt is often magnified because many people think chipping and putting is inherently easier than the full swing so there isn’t the same emphasis on learning good technique or practicing. 

I have witnessed a number of people struggle so much with the mental pressure of chipping and putting that they develop a physical flinch which is commonly called “The Yips”.

Since more strokes in a round of golf are made on and around the green than anywhere else it is my contention that if you want to improve your handicap quickly, then working on chipping and putting will lead to a faster result than anything else.

Chipping is my most improved skill over the last few years and the part of the game that I now have the most confidence in.

After struggling for years with a lack of confidence around the greens and experimenting with different clubs and methods, I was lucky enough to have a lesson from a veteran teaching pro who showed me an old school method of chipping that really clicked.

My wedge set-up includes a 48, 52, 56 & 60 wedges.  The clubs I use the most around the green are my 60 & 56.  

The method I was taught was to put the ball in line with my back foot with a stance fairly open to the target and my weight forward towards the target. Then I deloft the wedge by moving my hands toward my front thigh which puts a lot of forward shaft lean in the stroke and then close the club face by rotating the shaft slightly before regripping the club.  I then make a simple back and through stroke with little to no wrist action and an emphasis on an equal or longer follow through than backswing.  I keep my hands well forward of the club head throughout the swing.  The face of the club hits the ball with a descending blow and pops the ball slightly in the air, up and over the fringe, then rolls to the hole usually checking up after the first or second bounce.

Imagine the feeling of pulling the handle forward with your hands toward the target instead of trying to push the handle forward.

Earlier this year I read Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible and he teaches a very similar technique but explains the theory and technique much more thoroughly.  I strongly recommend his book.

To get the ball to fly higher and stop more quickly don’t lean the shaft forward as much and take a slightly longer swing.

I use the same swing on most chip shots and just change clubs to get more distance and roll out.

The common mistakes I see from my playing partners are:

1. Taking too big of a back swing and then decelerating coming into the ball.

2. Using too much hand and wrist action and trying to help the ball into the air.

3. Trying to fly the ball all the way to the hole. 

4. Having the bulk of their weight on the back foot instead of the front foot.

The results from these mistakes tend to be inconsistent distance with lots of duffs and skulls.

The best golfer I play with putts from off the green almost every time.  He is unbelievably good at judging the required pace.  He does this because he doesn’t have confidence in his chipping.  He calls me “Mr. Chips” because from the same place I will chip most every time now because I don’t have confidence in putting from off the green.

So, use what works best for you.  If putting from off the green with a putter or a hybrid or fairway wood works better for you then do that.  If a specialized chipping club like the Square Strike club works better then use that.  If a 7 iron works better then use that.

The goal is the fewest strokes to get the ball in the hole.

As my friend says, “The good thing about the game of golf is that the score card doesn’t record how you got the ball into the hole, just the result.  There aren’t any places on the scorecard for pictures, so don’t worry about how you look getting the ball into the hole.”

Edited by Hoyoymac
Misspelled word

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

It’s pretty simple, the 7i bump and run is safer. Depending on how fast your greens/fringes are, you’re basically making a long putt with an iron. So if you blade it, you’re still somewhere near the pin - whereas if you blade a high lofted wedge you’re WAY long (the swing is much harder/longer than a 7i for a given distance). Of course when you find yourself short sided, especially with a hazard between your ball and the pin, you’re forced to use a high lofted wedge - which you haven’t been practicing if the 7i bump and run is your stock shot.

A high lofted wedge will work in all circumstances, but a miss is way more costly.

The 8i bump and run is my stock shot greenside and I can use it more often than not. I’m OK using a GW when faced with a down slope chip. But when faced with short sided over a trap I use my 60* wedge, but all I can hope for is on the green, close to the pin is just luck for me (because I hit my 60* so infrequently). I use my 60* less than once a round.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
46 minutes ago, Middler said:

It’s pretty simple, the 7i bump and run is safer. Depending on how fast your greens/fringes are, you’re basically making a long putt with an iron. So if you blade it, you’re still somewhere near the pin - whereas if you blade a high lofted wedge you’re WAY long (the swing is much harder/longer than a 7i for a given distance). Of course when you find yourself short sided, especially with a hazard between your ball and the pin, you’re forced to use a high lofted wedge which you haven’t been practicing.

A high lofted wedge will work in all circumstances, but a miss is way more costly.

Was going to post pretty much the same thing. Great response.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I learned to play the 7 iron bump and run growing up (bunch of years ago) but I got away from that and moved to using a gap wedge.  During a series of lessons, I did 2 full lessons on chipping and my teacher changed me to my 58* vokey.  I'm sticking with it, my short game has improved tremendously and index dropped substantially.  I've tried to hit a few practice chips with 7 iron and it just isn't any good for me any longer.  I think you need to pick 1 club and stick with it and don't try to get too fancy.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

An 80 year old friend of mine in Florida showed me the 7i bump and run shot when I first took up golf.  Worked OK in Florida on his slow Bermuda greens, but it's never a club that I would use here in Washington.  Our greens are poa annua or bent grass and generally quite fast.  Any club longer than a PW will run to the other side of the green if chipping from just off the green.  I find it difficult to judge how far the ball will roll out using an iron.  If I'm close enough I'm putting, otherwise I'm using my 60º for for most all shots.  I know how far to carry the shot into the green because I practice with my 60º all the time.  I have several shots with different trajectories that I can use depending on where the hole is located on the green.  When I need to go over a bunker, it's the same shot for me.

Whatever club you use for chipping, the key is to get used to the shots you will likely encounter on the course and practice them.  Practicing them is NOT hitting 6-8 balls before heading to the 1st tee!!!  The biggest reason players don't use a LW is they don't practice with it.  Carrying a LW that you never use and then expecting to pull off a shot with it when you need to is a corollary to the "definition of insanity".

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I think it's worth keeping in mind that the pros use both. Depending on the lie and difficulty of the shot, it changes the need for a shot that carries the distance and dies immediately or rolls out. 

From what I was taught, the general progression is putter, iron chip and run, and then pitch. You have far less of a chance of fatting or thinning a putt or chip than you do a pitch. And if you use a putter stroke for your chip, it's very easy to control. 

The asterisk on that though is confidence and practice. If you've never practiced chip and runs and are confident and consistent with your pitching, then pitch. Commitment to your shot is often more important than the type of shot. E.g. why on two similar ball locations, I believe Schaufele putted and Morikawa pitched and both has nearly the same result. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I have used a 58 or 60 degree wedge for almost all shots around the green for most of my 30 plus years playing. However, I recently accepted that I was leaving shots out there and have started learning to use other clubs. So far, I have become comfortable with a 48 degree wedge and am working on the 9 iron. The plan is to eventually be comfortable using 7, 9, gap wedge and sand wedge. So far, judging how hard to hit the 7 is proving to be very difficult. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Good advice in some of the threads above. The bump and run is a hallmark of a game from the era before specialty wedges when most players were pretty advanced if they carried a reliable sand iron. It has great advantages in certain situations, like a flop shot does. 

Best advice is play your short game with a light head and a heavy hand rather than a heavy head and a light hand. There's many techniques and many clubs for a reason. If you can get good at every type of greenside shot, well then you'll just be good at golf. 

Titleist 975J

Callaway Hawkeye 3 Wood

Ben Hogan CFT Hybrid, Apex Plus Irons

Cleveland 588 Wedges

Scotty Newport 2 Mid Slant Pro Platinum

Wedge is the play the vast majority of the time given their versatility. Bump & run with an iron is situational, have to have the right lie, nothing to carry, and plenty of green to work with. To me you’re comparing one shot to an endless combination of shots. It’s a great shot to have in your arsenal when needed. If you’re not good with wedges, practice, practice, practice, loft and bounce are your friends around the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a conversation about this today, and I will paraphrase the best I can.

For those with the skill and time to hone it, using 1 wedge for the majority of chipping and pitching allows you to eliminate the Variability of shaft length, loft, face material (vokey vs a hot face iron) so you learn to manipulate the face and ball position with 1 wedge and you take lots of variables out.  

But for those who may not have the skill or time to work on it,  using a lower lofted Iron can be bennificial, as it does get the ball rolling and reduces chances of blades and chunks.

Lefty

Epic flash 9*+2* HZRDS smoke stiff 60g

T100s/200 combo project x LZ 6.5  125g std length 2* upright 

57 minutes ago, Perrymr said:

For those with the skill and time to hone it, using 1 wedge for the majority of chipping and pitching allows you to eliminate the Variability of shaft length, loft, face material (vokey vs a hot face iron) so you learn to manipulate the face and ball position with 1 wedge and you take lots of variables out

That was how I was taught. One club make it do everything. I use a 50 degree.

I just saw a video over the weekend done by Phil Mickelson teaching the same way. He also emphasized the forward shaft lean, forward weight, feet together. But then he added in ball position. Ball back = longer roll out, ball forward= more height less roll. If I can find it I'll post it. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

The video is on YouTube. Called " Phil Mickelson chipping 101"

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Another thought on this subject.  I remember Harvey Penick advocated for using a 7 iron to chip with.  However, that was when 7 irons were 36 to 38 degrees of loft.  Today, that would be a weak 8 iron or strong 9 in many sets.  If you are chipping with a modern strong lofted 7 iron, you are essentially using a classic 5 iron.  That may be why I am having so much trouble dialing in the 7 iron.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I learned to hit a chip shot at a young age with my 60 deg wedge from a dad that took his wedge game seriously. He’s a Vokey guy and by the holy customs of hand-me-down, I am too. I carry a 52, and 56 and a 60. Now I’m not sure how new this idea is, but I keep running into guys, whose coach/trainer say something like this: oh those high loft wedges “are really just for the pros” and anyone who seriously wants to improve their score should just do a simple bump and run with their 7 iron whenever possible and not even bother with a wedge. 
Thoughts on that? 

I mean I love chipping from inside 50 yards. It’s the only shot where I really feel I have a somewhat reasonable chance of sinking it from outside the green. And when I hear this argument it makes me think maybe people don’t have enough confidence in their wedges? 
I guess I’m probably missing something. I’m definitely not trying to put anyone down here and most guys i know that use the 7i bump and rub can kick my . I’m just about every aspect of the game. For someone who loves wedges, is there someone that can give me a deep dive into this trade off? I’d love to hear what y’all have to say. In short what would be the pros/cons to bagging my wedge and going with my 7? 

I used to be exclusively a bump and run guy with a 7i in all situations except green side rough. Also I carried a 52, 56 and 60. Most recently I changed up my wedges to a 54 and 60 (my gap wedge is 48). I've spent a lot of time on my short game from 75 yds in and especially chipping. Now I hardly ever bump and run. I found I can better position for a short putt with my chip than bump and run. However, keep in mind that our greens are extremely fast and have a lot of undulations.

There are a bunch of great YouTube videos on chipping especially from Mickelson.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I chip with anything from an 8 iron to my lob wedge, depending on the situation.  Using a less lofted club than the wedges gives better control for me to determine runout.  If I have to fly it any distance  and don't have lot of green to work with, I'll go to the lob wedge. But if I have green to work with and a short distance to the green, I'll opt to get it on the ground fast and let it run to the hole.  I know many players only use their lofted wedges exclusively, and that's fine.  Whatever works to get your score down.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

19 hours ago, Jwilson95 said:

Thoughts on that? 

I guess I’m probably missing something. I’m definitely not trying to put anyone down here and most guys i know that use the 7i bump and rub can kick my 🍑. I’m just about every aspect of the game. For someone who loves wedges, is there someone that can give me a deep dive into this trade off? I’d love to hear what y’all have to say. In short what would be the pros/cons to bagging my wedge and going with my 7? 

For most of my golf life I was a 7i/8i bump and run player.  I only recently moved away from that and, while it hasn't resulted in huge gains, using my 56/12 is proving a bit more consistent and versatile.  What I like is that I'm learning how to manage stance and club lean (press forward) to control drop and stop vs. drop and roll out.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I am now situational in my club selection. I had previously used the 54 as my go to but have found that using my 9 iron for basic chips has resulted in getting closer to the hole and is more predictable. As I move away from the hole I try to use the 9 but will switch to the 54 if I need more carry.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

"Well, the pros say to do this..."

Well, the pros can practice 8 hours a day. I have one course where I can practice my short game when I can, which isn't all that often. Maybe a few hours per month if I'm lucky. So I'm a big fan of chipping with an iron and getting the ball rolling as soon as possible to prevent skulled & bladed chips. Take all the variables out whenever possible.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

23 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I find it difficult to judge how far the ball will roll out using an iron.  If I'm close enough I'm putting, otherwise I'm using my 60º for for most all shots.  I know how far to carry the shot into the green because I practice with my 60º all the time.  I have several shots with different trajectories that I can use depending on where the hole is located on the green.

This. I understand the chip stroke leaves more room for an imprecise stroke, but the greens in our area vary considerably, making predicting the roll-out on a chip dicey at times (especially since I rarely practice the shot). I have come to be comfortable with the amount of spin I will get on a pitch depending on the lie so the amount of roll is (in my estimation) less dependent on the green speed since the ball will be coming in higher with fairly predictable spin. Like Kenny (although almost exclusively with my 56), I vary the loft (with stance and open/closing the face) depending on how much green I have to work with. I did go through a bout of the pitching yips this summer, which sucked, but made an effort to greatly simplify my stroke and they went away.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

1 hour ago, MaxEntropy said:

This. I understand the chip stroke leaves more room for an imprecise stroke, but the greens in our area vary considerably, making predicting the roll-out on a chip dicey at times (especially since I rarely practice the shot). I have come to be comfortable with the amount of spin I will get on a pitch depending on the lie so the amount of roll is (in my estimation) less dependent on the green speed since the ball will be coming in higher with fairly predictable spin. Like Kenny (although almost exclusively with my 56), I vary the loft (with stance and open/closing the face) depending on how much green I have to work with. I did go through a bout of the pitching yips this summer, which sucked, but made an effort to greatly simplify my stroke and they went away.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to chip the ball closer to the hole with my wedge than bump and run.  I have no place to practice a bump and run shot on a green similar to those on my course, except actually practicing on the course.  I can practice lofted shots onto our putting green (when no one is using it for putting, of course).  Our putting green is long, narrow and very flat; bump and run shots width-wise, even with a PW will run all the way across the green.  Our pitching green has slope, but it is not very big and green speed is much slower.

Another reason I prefer to chip the ball closer to the hole is that shot suits me better visually.  I'm judging distance to my landing spot similar to the way I judge distance to the hole when I putt looking at the hole.  I can take green undulations out of the shot.  When I bump and run, I try to land the ball about 3 feet on the green, but I don't have the feel for how hard I to hit it and I am at the mercy of slopes.  We have several greens with slopes down to a lower tier.  A chip with the wrong speed could end up 30 feet away from the hole.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This is one of the reasons I prefer to chip the ball closer to the hole with my wedge than bump and run.  I have no place to practice a bump and run shot on a green similar to those on my course, except actually practicing on the course.  I can practice lofted shots onto our putting green (when no one is using it for putting, of course).  Our putting green is long, narrow and very flat; bump and run shots width-wise, even with a PW will run all the way across the green.  Our pitching green has slope, but it is not very big and green speed is much slower.
Another reason I prefer to chip the ball closer to the hole is that shot suits me better visually.  I'm judging distance to my landing spot similar to the way I judge distance to the hole when I putt looking at the hole.  I can take green undulations out of the shot.  When I bump and run, I try to land the ball about 3 feet on the green, but I don't have the feel for how hard I to hit it and I am at the mercy of slopes.  We have several greens with slopes down to a lower tier.  A chip with the wrong speed could end up 30 feet away from the hole.

You have said several times that the greens are too fast to hit bump and runs, How do you putt on them if they are that fast?
Also if they are that fast and you land the ball a foot or two on with your wedge and it rolls all the way across wedge is the right bump and run club.

For practicing; if you even want too, get a few feet off the green and bump it to just on the green. Your 5 iron should only run out to about 20-30 feet if you are hitting that short of a “bump”. This is how you can build the feel for how long the ball will run out.

But there is nothing wrong with your approach if always using wedge.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One thing I can never grasp, and I’ve seen a few people mention it here already, is the idea that miss hits will turn out better with an iron over a wedge. Does a bladed 7 iron really roll out much less than a bladed wedge? Does a chunk go further? Does a shank go less off line? Really don’t think there’s much to be had there, it’s more about player ability and comfort level with a particular shot. There’s always the hero shot that Tiger/Phil will use and then there’s the best shot in your arsenal.

One thing I can never grasp, and I’ve seen a few people mention it here already, is the idea that miss hits will turn out better with an iron over a wedge. Does a bladed 7 iron really roll out much less than a bladed wedge? Does a chunk go further? Does a shank go less off line? Really don’t think there’s much to be had there, it’s more about player ability and comfort level with a particular shot. There’s always the hero shot that Tiger/Phil will use and then there’s the best shot in your arsenal.

As a person that struggles with short game, I find that outside the extremes that bladed and fat shots turn out better with lower lofted clubs than with wedges. Also, you in theory won’t hit as many fat and bladed shots due to the shorter swing.

Each player has to find what works for them. Some players will hit their high lifted wedges best

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

You have said several times that the greens are too fast to hit bump and runs, How do you putt on them if they are that fast?
Also if they are that fast and you land the ball a foot or two on with your wedge and it rolls all the way across wedge is the right bump and run club.

For practicing; if you even want too, get a few feet off the green and bump it to just on the green. Your 5 iron should only run out to about 20-30 feet if you are hitting that short of a “bump”. This is how you can build the feel for how long the ball will run out.

But there is nothing wrong with your approach if always using wedge.

I am not quite sure how to answer that.  Our greens are reasonably fast, but they are certainly not tour fast; they are not even the fastest greens in town.  It's a muni, so they can't be horribly fast.  I have no problem putting on them, and I have my best putting rounds when they are speeded up for tournaments.

I don't currently have a 5i, but my 7i loft is 26º.  I do bump and run shots; I just do them with higher lofted clubs, and typically when I'm close to the green and so is the pin.  Occasionally, I will use my gap wedge for longer chips, depending on the lie.  Longer clubs are problematic because the face is hotter than my wedges.  A bump and run for me means landing the ball on the green within 3 feet of the fringe.  

Here is a Google Earth view of my short game practice area:

482275458_ScreenShot2020-11-03at9_39_41AM.jpeg.5753641da624f429d048f20a96b3362c.jpeg

This pic is pretty much oriented N top and South bottom.  Driving range is to the left.  Pitching and bunker shots to the upper green.  Small mound of rough between pitching green and putting green.  I normally practice short chips on the left side of the putting green, as most people putt on the fatter part of the green.  The left part of the green is about 35 feet in diameter; full length of the green is 110 feet.  You can see there is a couple of feet of fringe around the green.  I practice chipping from the fringe with my 60º then move back to the rough to chip over the fringe.  When we had holes (pre-COVID), I chipped to the holes.  Now I chip to a couple of tees or to the other side of the green trying to get the ball as close to the fringe without going on it.  Using my 60º from just off the fringe and landing the ball about in the middle of the green, the ball will roll to the fringe on the other side.  Using my GW and landing the ball just over the fringe, the ball will roll to the fringe on the other side, so about 30 feet.

I do practice bump and runs; just not as much as I practice my 60º wedge shots.  Part of my short game problem is transitioning to other courses.  Some courses I play, the ball checks a lot more than it does at my course, leaving longer putts than I expect to get.  

OK, today was a practice day, so what did I practice??  You guessed it... chipping and specifically bump and runs.  I also used the time to check out how softer balls work out in cooler weather.  I will report my thoughts in the "What/How did you practice today?" thread.

Bottom line for bump and run today... I will stick with either my LW or GW for most all bump and run shots.  I tried my PW on the small section of our putting green shown in the pic in my post above.  I can land just on the green and keep it from barely running off the other side, so about 30 feet.  But I had a tendency to decel on the stroke because I know if I don't hit it perfect, it wouldn't stay on the green.  I can control the distance for anything less than 30 feet better with LW or GW.  

Just for grins because no one was on the entire green, I tried a bump and run with my 9i landing the ball a few feet on the green and it rolled almost the entire length of the putting green, so about 100 feet.  The longest green on my course is about 120 feet but I am never in a position to bump and run on it.  I might give the 9i a try if I do get close to the green and the pin is back.

42 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

OK, today was a practice day, so what did I practice??  You guessed it... chipping and specifically bump and runs.  I also used the time to check out how softer balls work out in cooler weather.  I will report my thoughts in the "What/How did you practice today?" thread.

Bottom line for bump and run today... I will stick with either my LW or GW for most all bump and run shots.  I tried my PW on the small section of our putting green shown in the pic in my post above.  I can land just on the green and keep it from barely running off the other side, so about 30 feet.  But I had a tendency to decel on the stroke because I know if I don't hit it perfect, it wouldn't stay on the green.  I can control the distance for anything less than 30 feet better with LW or GW.  

Just for grins because no one was on the entire green, I tried a bump and run with my 9i landing the ball a few feet on the green and it rolled almost the entire length of the putting green, so about 100 feet.  The longest green on my course is about 120 feet but I am never in a position to bump and run on it.  I might give the 9i a try if I do get close to the green and the pin is back.

That is really interesting;  I can't imagine balls rolling that far.  How far off the green were you when you were hitting the shots?