Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Chipping vs the 7i bump and run

It has definitely helped me to save a few strokes every round. Fairly new to golf over the last 1-2 years. Worked on a lot of strategy with @Tsmithjr9. He is someone who got me tinkering with the idea. A true savant

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

Not trying to hijack the thread, but there are times with thick grass around the green ( too thick for me to hit a wedge out of) I'll hard putt with a 5 wood.

If the grass is so think that it will grab a wedge, I choke down on a 5 wood. Like gripping a putter. Then putt firm, and it will jump out.

Be sure to practice this shot first.

Always chasing different clubs

I thought I had contributed enough in this thread, but over the past couple of weeks I have been practicing the bunp and run shot; however, with my 49º GW, not 7i.  While I still use my 60º for most shots around the green, including bump and run shots BTW, I have become more proficient with my GW.  I feel like I have another option depending on the lie and position from the green.

Like any other golf shot, practice is extremely important.  Don't expect to hit a shot on the course well if you haven't practiced it.  For those beginning to play and those without much time for practice, a bump and run shot with whatever club is most comfortable for your greens is the best percentage shot.  Using a high lofted club should only be used when you feel as comfortable hitting it as the bump and run shot.  Because most of my practice around the green is with my 60º, I am comfortable with all shots, including bump and run and higher lofted shots.

Oh BTW, technically the 7i bump and run IS a chip shot.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This year I’ve practiced my short game a lot more and at my home course short is the best miss because most greens have sever drop offs in the back or OB. My go to is a bump and run with a PW but will take a 7,8,9 depending on distance to hole. Anytime I am short sided I will pull out my 60 but most short game shots have been with my PW this year. For me I have a much more repeatable motion and know I will have a putt for par. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

And as if by magic, Rick Shiels' video today is on chipping. Figured it would be a nice addition to this thread. 

https://youtu.be/Y0_79WklZ40

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Realistically it gives you a better chance for proximity vs the flop or pitch shot. I’ll never be a pro. But at least I can keep score with a lot of guys 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I've been a Texas wedge guy for my entire golfing life, but it's predicated on lie and bunkers. I've putted from as far as 40 yds from the green, but on closely mowed fairways. Even putted from low rough if close to the green, it just takes a little practice. The older i get 70+ the more I phase out concentration wise on some shots, but with a putter in my hand, I'm forced to focus and it just works for me. Plus it drives the younger guys I play with nuts, when I get it up and around the hole with the putter.  

Total Callaway bag - except putter

• 2 weeks later...