Chipping vs the 7i bump and run

I would say try the 7 iron and if it works better, use it. Otherwise just stay with what you are doing.

• Like 1

:cobra-small:Radspeed 10.5*

:titleist-small:TS 15* 3 Wood

:mizuno-small:CLK 19* Hybrid

:mizuno-small:JPX 900 Forged P-4 Irons

:titleist-small:SM7 52*&56* Wedges

:titleist-small:SM6 60* Wedge

:taylormade-small:Ghost Spider Putter

:bridgestone-small:Tour B XS

55 minutes ago, RobbyT said:

I would say try the 7 iron and if it works better, use it. Otherwise just stay with what you are doing.

I mean, we're all fanatics here. So work on both to have both shots in your toolbox. But then rely primarily on the one that you're more comfortable with. 

• Like 1

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, Kenny B said:

An 80 year old friend of mine in Florida showed me the 7i bump and run shot when I first took up golf.  Worked OK in Florida on his slow Bermuda greens, but it's never a club that I would use here in Washington.  Our greens are poa annua or bent grass and generally quite fast.  Any club longer than a PW will run to the other side of the green if chipping from just off the green.  I find it difficult to judge how far the ball will roll out using an iron.  If I'm close enough I'm putting, otherwise I'm using my 60º for for most all shots.  I know how far to carry the shot into the green because I practice with my 60º all the time.  I have several shots with different trajectories that I can use depending on where the hole is located on the green.  When I need to go over a bunker, it's the same shot for me.

Whatever club you use for chipping, the key is to get used to the shots you will likely encounter on the course and practice them.  Practicing them is NOT hitting 6-8 balls before heading to the 1st tee!!!  The biggest reason players don't use a LW is they don't practice with it.  Carrying a LW that you never use and then expecting to pull off a shot with it when you need to is a corollary to the "definition of insanity".

Haha that’s a great point about the definition of insanity! 😅 I had a sand wedge in my bag for a while that I never practiced with and it got nixed and pulled out so I could put a club I use/like more 

• Like 1

Putter- Wilson staff Michigan Ave

Wedges 52-56-60 titleist vokey

Irons P, 9-4 titleist

taylormade 19 degree fairway wood

3 wood titleist 15 degree

driver- my recent self indulgence. Honma 747 World set at ten degrees. X-Stiff shaft. 

On 11/3/2020 at 6:05 AM, russtopherb said:

"Well, the pros say to do this..."

Well, the pros can practice 8 hours a day. I have one course where I can practice my short game when I can, which isn't all that often. Maybe a few hours per month if I'm lucky. So I'm a big fan of chipping with an iron and getting the ball rolling as soon as possible to prevent skulled & bladed chips. Take all the variables out whenever possible.

That’s a really great point! Wouldn’t it be nice to just always play private courses for 8 hrs a day and have that luxury? Man that’s the life. 

• Like 2

Putter- Wilson staff Michigan Ave

Wedges 52-56-60 titleist vokey

Irons P, 9-4 titleist

taylormade 19 degree fairway wood

3 wood titleist 15 degree

driver- my recent self indulgence. Honma 747 World set at ten degrees. X-Stiff shaft. 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:13 PM, Hook DeLoft said:

Another thought on this subject.  I remember Harvey Penick advocated for using a 7 iron to chip with.  However, that was when 7 irons were 36 to 38 degrees of loft.  Today, that would be a weak 8 iron or strong 9 in many sets.  If you are chipping with a modern strong lofted 7 iron, you are essentially using a classic 5 iron.  That may be why I am having so much trouble dialing in the 7 iron.

Another factor, green speeds are MUCH faster now than they were even 20 years ago, let alone 40 or 50.  So with reduced lofts and faster greens, using a "higher-number" club to chip with makes a lot of sense.  I use my 60 for the majority of my short game shots, but when I have more green to work with, and less fairway grass to carry, I'll use less lofted clubs.  And if I'm in places with really firm turf and short fairway grass, I'll use a true chip and run, landing the shot well short of the green.  Practice everything, the more tools you have in your arsenal, the better you'll be able to adapt to different conditions and different shot requirements.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

36 minutes ago, Jwilson95 said:

That’s a really great point! Wouldn’t it be nice to just always play private courses for 8 hrs a day and have that luxury? Man that’s the life.

Welcome to my world. Private course (Robert Trent Jones) , never have to make a tee time. Play as a single , foursome or even 5.  You don't even have to play all 18 in order. It's all good. Played 18 today started on hole 4 and after hole #18 I played 1, 2, and 3. Left the house at 12:00 and was home by 3:00.  I'm not rubbing it in I'm just fortunate to have a wife that is over accounting there.  Otherwise I wouldn't get to play as much. 

Lucky my wife doesn't read MGS.  It goes something like this.. Hi dear I'll think I'll stop by your work to say hi today. Maybe we should have lunch together? Well since I'm here, maybe I will go play a little. I'll see you at home later. Have a nice rest of the day. I'm sure she is on to me by now. I've been doing it for 12 years and it always seems to be on nice days. But she never called me out on it yet. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I’ll chip with most of my irons: as long as there’s nothing but green between me and the cup. Distance determines the club,but the stroke remains the same length: essentially a putting stroke. I pitch with my 60 degree vokey and spend a lot of time practicing various distances and trajectories. My main course features all elevated greens, so pitching suits my game and eye much more for that course. To me it’s too situational to ever be an either or...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

Lots of good recommendations here.

In our TFT chapter, we encourage kids to experiment with lots of different clubs around the green.  If you're not trying to get the ball over rough or a bunker, there's lots of different ways to skin the cat.  I'm someone who likes to get the ball on the ground and running as soon as possible.  Depending upon the texture of the fringe, I'll play the ball over it or use it to take some speed off the ball.  But at my dad's course in SC where they have paspalum grass in the fringe, if you land the ball in that fringe, it will jump forward about a foot and then die.  It's like velcro.

As @DaveP043 states, I'm using clubs with larger numbers to hit these shots with, because of stronger lofts and also hotter faces.  

My younger daughter tries to use a sand wedge for all shots around the green, with varying degrees of success.  You just can't tell these kids what to do...

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 11/6/2020 at 5:35 PM, DaveP043 said:

Another factor, green speeds are MUCH faster now than they were even 20 years ago, let alone 40 or 50.  So with reduced lofts and faster greens, using a "higher-number" club to chip with makes a lot of sense.  I use my 60 for the majority of my short game shots, but when I have more green to work with, and less fairway grass to carry, I'll use less lofted clubs.  And if I'm in places with really firm turf and short fairway grass, I'll use a true chip and run, landing the shot well short of the green.  Practice everything, the more tools you have in your arsenal, the better you'll be able to adapt to different conditions and different shot requirements.

Great post and I don’t disagree for those who play enough to develop “more tools.” But for those who have/make little or no time for practice, I wonder if you’re better off using only bump and run OR high lofted wedges as often as possible - e.g. I’d rather be proficient at one than mediocre at both? Right or wrong I default to my 8i, which is workable 90% of the time. I muddle through when I’m forced to use my 56 or 60, but that happens less than once a round for me. I’ll be the first to admit it’s not an easy question.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
I am now situational in my club selection. I had previously used the 54 as my go to but have found that using my 9 iron for basic chips has resulted in getting closer to the hole and is more predictable. As I move away from the hole I try to use the 9 but will switch to the 54 if I need more carry.

That’s pretty close to what I do except I use 8iron. Been doing it a long time that way and works for me....most of the time.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I am now situational in my club selection. I had previously used the 54 as my go to but have found that using my 9 iron for basic chips has resulted in getting closer to the hole and is more predictable. As I move away from the hole I try to use the 9 but will switch to the 54 if I need more carry.

That’s pretty close to what I do except I use 8iron. Been doing it a long time that way and works for me....most of the time.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Using more loft when chipping has been proven to be less accurate, so I usually use my 8 iron. I may use something else if I’ve shortsided myself, but I’m much better with the bump-and-run.

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

I learned how to chip with the 58 degree because that what the pro used. 

as stated here the chipping motion is different than a 7i bump and run. I have tried to add a 7i bump in run to my shot selection but I always end up way over my intended target. I'll stick to my chip shot beside who doesn't love to see the ball check up!

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

These days,I carry four wedges (PW, GW, SW, LW) but go to the ‘ole faithful 7i around the green. I played HS golf when you only had a PW and maybe a SW if you were lucky. The bump and run was the shot of choice, and we weren’t concerned with bounce. After a clinic last year, I’ve tried a 3H around the green. After all, golf is an art as well as a science for Bryson.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Did some bump and run practice yesterday and may need to stick with it. Felt more confident and had better distance from the cup compared to landing a wedge close. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1:2021 Phantom X5 35" (Backup: :1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

Ball:  :titelist-small: proV1  (back up balls :titleist-small:ProV1 Left Dot, :Snell:MTB-X, :OnCore:Vero X1, :callaway-small:CS X LS)

I do better with an 8 iron or PW.

Only use the (finesse) wedges when trying to go over an obstacle, out of sand, over bushes, etc.

My Son can play all the fancy wedge shots, no matter what the lie is.

For me, it has to be sitting on grass, and I know when to not try it.

Always chasing different clubs

On 11/10/2020 at 10:55 PM, Golf Dawg said:

I played HS golf when you only had a PW and maybe a SW if you were lucky. The bump and run was the shot of choice, and we weren’t concerned with bounce.

I too grew up in the era where wedges meant a pitching wedge and a sand wedge, I started in the early 1970s.  And I agree, a lower-lofted running shot was usually the choice.  But green speeds in that era were MUCH slower than they are now, and higher-flying softer shots are needed much more often on today's faster greens.  Its good to have all of the shots.

• Like 4

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I am now team bump and run. I had always struggled with high lofted wedges with pitch shots from the fairway, and chip shots. Generally leave them short.

Last couple of rounds i went bump and run (with no practice) and they generally worked out pretty well.

• Like 8

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 11/13/2021
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 3 wood, 5 wood - Aldila Ascent 60 S
Irons:titelist-small: T300 5 to SW - LAGP AXS Red 85 Stiff double soft stepped
Wedges:Miura: K-grind 2.0 58 wedge - Xcaliber RT Spin Wedge 100
Putter:  SIK DW Armlock - LAGP 180 armlock shaft

I go with the 7-iron chip route because its much easier and more consistent to just get the ball rolling.  You just take so many variables out of play and even if you mishit it, your ball is still going to be on the green and fairly close to where you intended.

With a lob wedge, if you mishit it, you are either going to duff it and have the ball go 5 feet or you are going to skull it 50 yards over the green.  Not to mention you have to factor in for how much spin you are going to get and how soft the green is.

Forget about the lob wedge flop shots, go old school and just get it rolling on the green.

• Like 3

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

My daughter worked on short game with her coach the other day, and we talked about this after the lesson.  She also likes the idea of getting the ball on the ground and rolling as soon as possible, only playing the high shot when it's required.

• Like 2

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino