TESTERS WANTED! ×

What do you play? Overlap, interlock, baseball? Do you trigger finger or not with the trail hand? What is the best way to grip a club? 

have at it!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

What do you play? Overlap, interlock, baseball? Do you trigger finger or not with the trail hand? What is the best way to grip a club? 

have at it!

I use the basic interlock grip for full swing. I follow the teachings of Mike Adams on the grip — left hand is neutral to a little Weak and my right hand is side.

The best way to grip a club is what works for you; my grip has 0 influence on how you should grip the club.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I use the basic interlock grip for full swing. I follow the teachings of Mike Adams on the grip — left hand is neutral to a little Weak and my right hand is side.

The best way to grip a club is what works for you; my grip has 0 influence on how you should grip the club.

Makes sense. Just curious if anyone uses their trail hand pointer as a “trigger”? Separated a little from the other fingers for more stability. Was reading that it can help with wrist hinge and better face squaring and better shaft angle to the rest of your body. Tried it a little last night and I don’t know how players can keep their pointer that far separated from the others. 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

Makes sense. Just curious if anyone uses their trail hand pointer as a “trigger”? Separated a little from the other fingers for more stability. Was reading that it can help with wrist hinge and better face squaring and better shaft angle to the rest of your body. Tried it a little last night and I don’t know how players can keep their pointer that far separated from the others. 

I don’t know how far apart yiw are talking about since i cant see your grip. my right index finger is slightly separated but jt isnt a conscious decision based on a grip that runs along the base of my fingers.

if you read some of mike adams stuff the left hand controls squareness of face at impact and the right controls path.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

46 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

I used the 10-finger grip for years before I switched to the Moe Norman single plane swing.  Then I changed to overlap with my right (trail) hand pinkie.  Moe's grip had the right index finger slightly separated from the others, but not widely so.  Even though I don't use the SPS anymore, I still grip the club the same because the SPS did help me hit the ball straight.  Making a grip change feels awkward at first, like any other change in the golf swing. 

Your hands hold the club so that you can move the club, produce speed and square the club face at impact.  As @cnosilsaid the grip you should use is the one that works best for you.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

I used the 10-finger grip for years before I switched to the Moe Norman single plane swing.  Then I changed to overlap with my right (trail) hand pinkie.  Moe's grip had the right index finger slightly separated from the others, but not widely so.  Even though I don't use the SPS anymore, I still grip the club the same because the SPS did help me hit the ball straight.  Making a grip change feels awkward at first, like any other change in the golf swing. 

Your hands hold the club so that you can move the club, produce speed and square the club face at impact.  As @cnosilsaid the grip you should use is the one that works best for you.  

Thanks! Just did some more planemate swings adding in a slight right pointer separation and boy does that feel good. Likely will take some getting used to on the course but swinging the planemate now feels smooth. 

My Reviews:

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have seen some of the general thoughts from Mike Adams and i like his overall teachings. Just watched a video on grip about right hand on top, side, and under. Makes sense to me intuitively. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

46 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks! Just did some more planemate swings adding in a slight right pointer separation and boy does that feel good. Likely will take some getting used to on the course but swinging the planemate now feels smooth. 

If you don't already have it, you will get a callous on your index finger.  😁

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have seen some of the general thoughts from Mike Adams and i like his overall teachings. Just watched a video on grip about right hand on top, side, and under. Makes sense to me intuitively. 

He also has videos on Instagram that explain left hand.

Speaking only for myself, using the grips as defined by Mike has improved my ball striking.

Interlock grip, but my right hand tends to inch up to the point where you can't see the left thumb about an 1.5" above the left wrist.

Took a lesson about 3 years ago and the teacher tried to get my right hand lower on the club.   I moved it per his request, and after about 20 swings it was right back where we started.  

He would have had an easier time altering the orbit of the earth around the sun.

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

If you don't already have it, you will get a callous on your index finger.  😁

If it means i can strike it better, i could have a body full of callouses

My Reviews:

Found a good post from Mark Crossfield this morning. Not about strong vs. weak or interlock, overlap, etc., but more about how you put your hands on the grip. I suffer from the problem that he demonstrates here. I need to use the method he mentions of holding the club vertical for putting my hands on the grip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIoNYEDfDn/

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

7 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Found a good post from Mark Crossfield this morning. Not about strong vs. weak or interlock, overlap, etc., but more about how you put your hands on the grip. I suffer from the problem that he demonstrates here. I need to use the method he mentions of holding the club vertical for putting my hands on the grip.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHIoNYEDfDn/

It's a good starting point, but everyone's swing is different.  Depends on how much wrist action you have.  

• 1 month later...

Wanted to ask another question on this. I recently have started to change my grip to reposition the club more in the fingers of my left hand (top hand, I'm RH) to follow Mark Crossfield's video from above. My right hand is slightly stronger on the grip. 

In my range sessions recently when working on the improved grip, I'm seeing that my shots are leaking left to right, like a baby fade, and also somewhat ballooning on my hybrid and 4/5 irons. Most shots are 5/10 yards right of target line and it is only when I try to actively turn my hands over on downswing/impact that I am straight.

Anyone have any advice on if I'm doing something wrong, normally with my old grip and having the grip more in the palm of my left hand I don't have to try and turn it over.

Do I just need to be stronger with my right hand with this new grip? More wrist action on the swing? Also anyone have any tips to relieve left forearm tension when changing to this grip?

Thanks!

Titleist 913 D2/15* wood/18* Hybrid

AP2 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff

50*/54*/56*/58* Vokey Wedges

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

Wanted to ask another question on this. I recently have started to change my grip to reposition the club more in the fingers of my left hand (top hand, I'm RH) to follow Mark Crossfield's video from above. My right hand is slightly stronger on the grip. 
In my range sessions recently when working on the improved grip, I'm seeing that my shots are leaking left to right, like a baby fade, and also somewhat ballooning on my hybrid and 4/5 irons. Most shots are 5/10 yards right of target line and it is only when I try to actively turn my hands over on downswing/impact that I am straight.
Anyone have any advice on if I'm doing something wrong, normally with my old grip and having the grip more in the palm of my left hand I don't have to try and turn it over.
Do I just need to be stronger with my right hand with this new grip? More wrist action on the swing? Also anyone have any tips to relieve left forearm tension when changing to this grip?
Thanks!

You have made a change to your grip which changes how it feels and how you interact with the club. Many players make a good living hitting a 5-10 yard cut.

You changed one aspect of your grip, why aren’t you willing to just experiment with the right hand?

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You have made a change to your grip which changes how it feels and how you interact with the club. Many players make a good living hitting a 5-10 yard cut.

You changed one aspect of your grip, why aren’t you willing to just experiment with the right hand?

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing a cut. In fact I normally set up driver for a cut from years of baseball. I should have mentioned that I have been playing a slight draw with my irons until I made the change in grip to avoid excess movement and wear on the palm of my glove.

Obviously any changes to grip are going to take some getting used to and can't be done in a vacuum, so are you saying to try and adjust the bottom hand to be weaker now that I've move my left to a slightly stronger position then it had been historically?

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

15 minutes ago, jscho said:

Thanks!

Many years ago I gripped the club more in my palm in an effort to hit the ball straight.  It worked, at the cost of a few yards.  At my age and swing speed I couldn't afford to lose those yards.  When I moved the club to more in the fingers, I gained some club speed, at the cost of accuracy because I wasn't fully rotating and finishing the swing.  I still do that on occasion, but if you are gripping correctly but not getting the club face back to square, there may be something else wrong that your old grip was compensating for.  

On 11/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, rbsiedsc said:

The further that the pointer finger gets away from the rest of the hand the more influence on the club head comes into play if any pressure gets applied by that finger and the harder it will be to control. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Many years ago I gripped the club more in my palm in an effort to hit the ball straight.  It worked, at the cost of a few yards.  At my age and swing speed I couldn't afford to lose those yards.  When I moved the club to more in the fingers, I gained some club speed, at the cost of accuracy because I wasn't fully rotating and finishing the swing.  I still do that on occasion, but if you are gripping correctly but not getting the club face back to square, there may be something else wrong that your old grip was compensating for.  

Thanks. I agree. I think that this grip change has potentially opened up a can of worms to other swing "issues" I have. Not finishing the swing is something I definitely think might be causing the slight L to R movement. I almost have to force myself to corkscrew in a way on the down swing to get back to square.

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

1 minute ago, jscho said:

Thanks. I agree. I think that this grip change has potentially opened up a can of worms to other swing "issues" I have. Not finishing the swing is something I definitely think might be causing the slight L to R movement. I almost have to force myself to corkscrew in a way on the down swing to get back to square.

Could be several things.  Try to find a good coach is the best option rather than self diagnosis.

so are you saying to try and adjust the bottom hand to be weaker now that I've move my left to a slightly stronger position then it had been historically?

I am not an instructor so I am not recommending anything. My only point was that you were experimenting with your grip, why not change the right hand too.
I also don’t know what you grip looks Like. If you want to go more traditional, the V’s made by the index finger and thumb should point to the same place.

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I am not an instructor so I am not recommending anything. My only point was that you were experimenting with your grip, why not change the right hand too.
I also don’t know what you grip looks Like. If you want to go more traditional, the V’s made by the index finger and thumb should point to the same place.

Totally understand and you make a great point. Will try and experiment some more with different things and see what works.  

SC Newport 2 - 33" 

On 11/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, rbsiedsc said:

have at it!

I use neutral grip with an interlock fingers .. I trip weak and strong grips but neutral felt more comfortable .. When I first started to play I did the baseball grip and at a very young age I was told you need to do the interlock .. it took a bit to get comfortable but its natural now.... not really sure what's the best I guess to each their own comfortability 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

I have recently found my sweet spot of a weak right hand and neutral left. I need this kind of set up, otherwise I close the clubface too shut causing pulls and hooks. So far so good. I do make my right hand progressively weaker as I get to my lower lofted clubs, along with making sure the face is more open at address.

My Reviews:

Early on I sliced the ball like many do. I fought this by trying to train my hands to roll through impact. After decades of inconsistency, I decided that I would progressively make my grip stronger until I didn't have to do anything with my hands when swinging. Now, I just take my grip based on the shot I plan to hit (fade, straight or draw) and swing the club. Happy to say that my consistency is tons better and I am now playing some of the best golf of my life.

Experiment to find what works.

BT

Edited by RI_Redneck