Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

Finding original shot after dropping (fall leaf rule)

Samwell1020

I had a situation where I couldn't find my ball due to leaves. I hit a blind second shot on a par 5 and could not find the ball on the leaf-filled hill. My group had agreed to a leaf rule before the round to a free drop in the vicinity of where you thought the ball should be. This was a local game with $5 on the line. As I couldn't find my ball, I dropped on the downslope of the hill where I thought my ball should be. I hit chunked this ball forward about 70 yards, and had about 100 yards into the green remaining. As we were walking up to my ball, I found my original shot about 50 yards past where I had dropped (it must have really caught the downslope of the hill). I declared that I found my original ball and finished the hole out with my original ball. Once I got to the green, another group member (who's play had carried him away from our hole onto the adjacent hole) confronted me as to why I had seemingly played two shots. He refused to allow me to play the original ball. What should I do in this case?

You can only play your original ball if you declare a provisional and hit from the same spot you hit the original ball from. 

Once a ball is declared a “lost ball”, which is what you do by dropping (whether taking penalty strokes or a free drop), the original ball can no longer be used. 

Technically, it is a general penalty and you have to finish out the hole with your dropped ball (not the original). If you take a stroke at the next tee having not corrected your mistake, you are disqualified. 

All that over $5!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I'm sure you didn't really formalize your "leaf rule", but I'm going to answer as if you had, and were using Model Local Rule F-14.  This local rule can be used to define accumulations of Loose Impediments (i.e. leaves) as Ground Under Repair.  If a ball is Known or Virtually Certain to be lost in an Abnormal Course Condition (like GUR), free relief is allowed (Exception to 18.2a).  Once you substitute another ball by taking relief, however, the "relief ball" is in play, even if you subsequently find your original ball.   

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

According to the rules of
Golf there is no leaf rule. You group decided to implement a local rule. I would say that when you started playing the new ball the original was no longer in play. When you found the lost ball did you discuss what to do with the other players in your group?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah, you were in the wrong there. A golfer can’t put another ball in play and then decide to play their first ball. You used the agreed upon leaf rule, then decided NOT to use it... Can’t have it both ways.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX