The Force Pedal

As we look at golf and the golf swing,  there is a lot of emphasis on using the ground to generate speed.  The question is do you really know what that means and do you actually use the ground?    There is a training aid, called the force pedal (https://theforcepedal.com/), that teaches you how to feel the ground on your swings which is being endorsed by hall of fame teacher Mike Adams.  Mike Adams is a gadget guy and leans toward biometrics on how a person should swing.   When looking at the swing, there are three things that are used to generate speed:

1. As the player starts the downswing,  there is a lateral shift that moves pressure toward the target
  2. When the  arm reaches parallel rotation starts
  3. When the shaft reaches parallel vertical forces start

All three are performed in your swing but in different amounts.  

If you look at the swings of Justin Thomas and new LPGA bomber Bianca Pagdanganan you can see how much effort they put into ground forces as they actually leave the ground.

justin-thomas-post-impact.jpggettyimages-1273417405-594x594-3.jpg

I found the product via one of the many ads that popup in my facebook feed so I looked at the side since one of the things they say you get is increased clubhead speed.   The other day on Instagram Harry was showing off the aid while he was performing his review of the product (expect his thoughts on the main page soon).  I sent a message to Harry saying I wanted to try them out and since they have an open door I was told to come on in.   Today was the day I stopped by and gave them a go.   

Packaging was pretty basic as shown below.  A resealable bag with 2 force pedals;  orange is the softer and yellow is the firmer one.   There are lots of videos on the products website that illustrate how to use the aids.   

496119906_IMG_0610(2)(Small).JPG.dab984a0dd71420b75eff0b4e3be9585.JPG1267872916_IMG_0612(2)(Small).JPG.ae884ac3621b9a721019ed1648169edd.JPG

Since I have been reading the website, I was familiar with how to use them.   I started with the yellow one (yep right to the advanced option!!!) and grabbed a Honma TR20V 7 iron and hit a few shots to get a baseline distance for the day.....160 seemed to be todays number.  Put the yellow pedal under the ball of my foot and made a few swings.  I also tried it under the middle of my left foot, and with the orange pedal under my right heel.  Based on what I felt,  I do not effectively use the ground forces and I could feel the pedal pushing up as the club approached impact.  Did I get more distance?  Yep,  started hitting it about 170/175.    I then tried swinging without the pedal and was able to duplicate the feeling.   Picked up the closest driver (Ping G410 LST) and took a few swings.  Not the best driver for me, but swing was in the 112 range with 162 ball speed and about 270 carry (low spin and high on face).  I switched to the orange pedal and did some short game shots.  This seemed to result in better ball contact.  

At $49.99 it is a relatively inexpensive aid and you can take a quiz online that will get you a 10% off discount code.  At this point I am going to continue to use the training and see if I can generate some more speed.  Will this aid benefit you?  I think the answer depends on whether you currently use ground forces as part of your swing.  If you use ground forces effectively it probably won't provide any benefit.  For someone like me, it showed my were I could possibly generate some additional power and speed.    For those that don't want the expense, tennis balls halves have been discussed in the videos.  

• Like 6

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  Bellum Winmore 787

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great review! I have had my eye on this for awhile, along with so many other training aids. However, this one seems very beneficial and replaces the old tennis ball cut in half trick that we've all seen. Thanks and continue to update us please!

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 10.5* - Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Fairway Wood: :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* - Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS2 19.0* - Tensei AV Blue 70HY S

Irons 5-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal - Pro Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges::mizuno-small: T-20 54 | 58 |  M-Grind - Nippon Modus 105 

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B MidBlade Black - Gravity Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: 

2 hours ago, Patriots68 said:

I'm kinda wondering how much this will help a more average speed swinger. Will they actually gain yards or because their mechanics aren't as sound will it just produce more wild swings.

I'm guessing B.  Swing a few times; doesn't feel right; hit some worse than normal shots; toss it.

I suppose if you stuck with it long enough, like any other training aid, there would be a benefit.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Patriots68 said:

I'm kinda wondering how much this will help a more average speed swinger. Will they actually gain yards or because their mechanics aren't as sound will it just produce more wild swings.

That is ultimately the question with any training aid.  Harry did a review on the main site and we talked about it when I went to try them out.  Per the article Harry wrote he felt it didn't help his swing while I felt there were some benefits with mine.    I have only done one session with them and I did see some improvement.  While both Harry and I would be considered high swing speed,  I would guess that the same would apply to slower swing speed players.   those that use the ground effectively probably won't see much gain.  If you don't use the ground you will gain some.   

Swing speed isn't about mechanics;  you can have perfect mechanics and still have a slower swing speed and you can have terrible mechanics by high speed.  

My personal opinion is that this aid helps with the proper sequencing within the swing.  If you can sequence properly,  you can increase your speed. 

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't know if it would help or hurt in my case, I expect overspeed training would hurt as I struggle to control the club face sometimes, I definitely struggle with weight shift at times. Unfortunately for me I am away for work for months at a time and get a lot of time to hit into nets and get to play an executive course from time to time but when I am home family demands limiting my playing and especially practice time so its tough to get in the benefit of lessons. These aren't that expensive so I might try to pick up a set and try them out. I just hate to waste practice time as it's pretty valuable to me.

12 minutes ago, Patriots68 said:

I don't know if it would help or hurt in my case, I expect overspeed training would hurt as I struggle to control the club face sometimes,

Overspeed training isn't about clubface;  it is about creating more speed.  To generate speed,  you also have to learn to sequence properly.  One of the things I want to try is using the force pedals in combination with the superspeed sticks to see if I can generate some additional speed. 

• Like 2

Due to things outside of my control I haven't gotten a lot of time to work with the force pedals.   That said,  during some driver testing today,  I tried to apply the feels that I had gotten from my limited use.   Early swings were in the 111/112 range and after I got truly warmed up I topped out at 117.7.    While I can't say it was definitely related to the force pedals,  I am really happy with that kind of speed and I had many in the 116/117 range so it wasn't a fluke.   Maybe I can get myself up to 120+

• Like 2

Holy Hedoublehockeysticks!  Talk about hitting out of your shoes.

gettyimages-1273417405-594x594-3.jpg

I just caught a segment on TGC with a swing coach (did not catch the name) talking about ground force and specifically how Jack Nicklaus used this. He spoke about stance width and attaining the correct balance of fore/aft weight - which, if correct, should result in some minor burning feel in the thigh muscles. He also said this is why so many pros employ a back n' forth waggle on the pre shot routine.  My dog has a KONG toy that, cut in half, would look alot like the training aid... 🙂

• Like 2

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter