TESTERS WANTED! ×

Changes (for the worse) to PING warranty policies?

Jim418

In Feb 2019 I cracked my G30 driver and PING quickly replaced it with a brand new G400. Yay PING.

In March 2020 I cracked my G 3-wood. Got fitted in June and got the replacement at the end of July, but only 30% credit ("Tier 3"). Based on my past experience as well as the experience of countless others I was expecting it to be fully replaced. Both clubs were 2 generations old.

Anyone know the details of PING's new warranty policies?

Driver:    Titliest TSi3 - Tensei white stiff
Wood:   PING  G425 LST 14.5* - Tensei orange stiff
Hybrid:   PING  G425 19* - Tensei orange stiff
Irons:    PING i525 - Project X I/O 5.5 - 4-W
Wedges:     Taylormade MG3 52* and HiToe 56* Project X I/O 6.0
Putter:  TM Spider X HYDROBLAST (33", 3* upright)

Ping normally fully replaces within a 2-3 year period. After that it’s going to be at their discretion. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at their page but they don’t list their exact policy but rather a number to call and they will work out details and explain to you the whats and why.

My guess is that the g being 3 release cycles ago they aren’t doing a full replacement. One will find most manufacturers don’t always do a full replacement after 2 cycles. Most tend to do 2 year warranties

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My G400 broke 2-3 months ago.  Thankfully I was in the very month (6 days away) for the 3 year anniversary that my particular driver was manufactured. With that Ping’s warranty covered the replacement. It seems that your Ping G was well past the 3 year warranty based on the date of manufacture. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ping normally fully replaces within a 2-3 year period. After that it’s going to be at their discretion. It’s been awhile since I’ve looked at their page but they don’t list their exact policy but rather a number to call and they will work out details and explain to you the whats and why.

My guess is that the g being 3 release cycles ago they aren’t doing a full replacement. One will find most manufacturers don’t always do a full replacement after 2 cycles. Most tend to do 2 year warranties

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the "G" line was followed by G400 and G410. G line was released in Feb 2016

When they replaced my G30 in Feb 2019 it had been followed by the G line and G400. G30 line was released in Aug 2014.

So my G 3-wood was the same in "releases" and newer in years than my G30 driver when it cracked. Maybe I got lucky on the driver or maybe they changed their policy. My Pro is looking into it but I was curious if anyone knew about a policy change.

2 hours ago, Jim418 said:

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the "G" line was followed by G400 and G410. G line was released in Feb 2016

When they replaced my G30 in Feb 2019 it had been followed by the G line and G400. G30 line was released in Aug 2014.

So my G 3-wood was the same in "releases" and newer in years than my G30 driver when it cracked. Maybe I got lucky on the driver or maybe they changed their policy. My Pro is looking into it but I was curious if anyone knew about a policy change.

If I understood the Ping rep I spoke to, it has to do with the date of manufacture of the actual head, not when the line was released. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

2 hours ago, Jim418 said:

Thanks for the reply.

We are on the same page but ping is about to release the ping g425 so it’s borderline 3 release cycles from the g

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 11/7/2020 at 1:38 PM, JohnSmalls said:

If I understood the Ping rep I spoke to, it has to do with the date of manufacture of the actual head, not when the line was released. 

Just got confirmation through my Pro that this is the case. My club would have been manufactured in 2015/2016 so it qualified for 30% credit.

As of August apparently it is full replacement or nothing. Currently a club manufactured in 2017 would be fully replaced, earlier than that nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

They replaced a G410 3 wood I bought due to the face caving in after a few months use. Considering they still replaced the failure even though it wasn't  bought through a big box store, I think that's really good service. Unfortunately due to Covid, their replacement times have been fairly long. Mine took 6 weeks to be replaced.

Cannot speak to their terms but I was happy with my experience

Right Handed

Taylormade sim2 9 degree ventus black 7x ( velecore) 44.5

Callaway epic flash sz 5 wood 17 degree tensi AV blue X

Mizuno CLK 19 degree tensi av blue X

Callaway x forged 16 4-pw Project x 6.0 +.75

Vokey SM7 black 50/54/58 Project x 6.0 flighted +.5 length 

Scotty cameron newport 2.6 34 length

• 6 months later...

So it looks like I'll be able to provide an update on PING's policies. My G400 LST driver cracked today (on the crown).

Got it in Feb 2019 so hopefully it will be replaced (I hope it doesn't matter that it was a replacement for my cracked G30 LST driver!). It's manufacture date will be in the 2-3 year range and is just 2 models old. 🤞🤞🤞

I am VERY pleasantly surprised that My G400 LST from Feb 2018 (not Feb 2019) will be replaced by PING with the latest/greatest G425 LST.

I took my Pro Shop's demo club out on the range and the course and was VERY VERY impressed. Somehow I was hitting the middle of the clubface WAY more often. Very excited about getting it in the bag. Will be a PING customer for life.

Am I the only one concerned with all the Ping heads/faces that are cracking? I know it happens on occasion to all OEMs, but is it more prevalent with Ping?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

2 minutes ago, Headhammer said:

Am I the only one concerned with all the Ping heads/faces that are cracking? I know it happens on occasion to all OEMs, but is it more prevalent with Ping?

Not concerned at all and it’s probably more prevalent with TaylorMade than Ping.

But even so it’s why the manufacturers have a warranty and return policy.

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

Maybe it's my own perception, but cracked drivers seem to happen much more often with TaylorMade or Callaway. Now granted, some of that may be due to how many more people play those brands. But it seems like whenever there's a complaint on a forum or Twitter, it's one of those two brands. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not concerned at all and it’s probably more prevalent with TaylorMade than Ping.

But even so it’s why the manufacturers have a warranty and return policy.

7 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Maybe it's my own perception, but cracked drivers seem to happen much more often with TaylorMade or Callaway. Now granted, some of that may be due to how many more people play those brands. But it seems like whenever there's a complaint on a forum or Twitter, it's one of those two brands. 

In general, all modern drivers will crack with some frequency. The manufacturing tolerances have gotten much better and modern construction techniques allow the heads to be welded/fused together with minimal/thinner seams. The overall effect of thinner materials is going to be more cracks as material and construction defects become a bigger concern. I don't know that any manufacturer is better than another in terms of quality or lack of cracking. At $500+ per club, they can certainly stand to replace a few.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Phillip Smallwood said:

My ping 400 just cracked across the crown waiting now to see if there going to replace it or not was heart broken . 

I love my G400. I would probably shed a tear or two if mine cracked. Keep us posted on the outcome.  

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag