Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Unofficial Review: Skillest App (golf lessons)

dlow206

Thanks for the screenshots showing the interface. I have been hearing about Skillest a lot on the How's my Hand Path Podcast, so it was great to see it laid out here. A great option with lockdowns looming in many different areas. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

11 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Thanks for the screenshots showing the interface. I have been hearing about Skillest a lot on the How's my Hand Path Podcast, so it was great to see it laid out here. A great option with lockdowns looming in many different areas. 

Definitely a great option with lockdowns. Also, at least in my area, it can be hard to find an instructor that is of the caliber of the instructors on Skillest. That is definitely a plus.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to provide an update now that I am using the monthly subscription plan. My instructor, Alex, asked me to send some videos of what he wanted me to work on. I sent them in today and he responded within like 15 minutes with some comments on some things that I still need to fix with setup. So I went out, tried to make the change, and now just submitted a new set so he can validate if i made the change correctly or not.

Not all instructors may be this prompt in giving feedback, but it can definitely be a quick turnaround, especially when you are working on something very specific and you need validation if you are doing it correctly or not.

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

Sounds interesting and may like into it.
The instructor I had previously gone to was in his 70’s and retired due to C19.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 minutes ago, Rickp said:

Sounds interesting and may like into it.
The instructor I had previously gone to was in his 70’s and retired due to C19.

Pretty sure that my instructor is a youngin (says the 36 year old)

Updated 07/15/2022

Pretty sure that my instructor is a youngin (says the 36 year old)

If I go that route I have to be careful of instructor I chose. I don’t need someone who wants to give the student a perfect swing those days are long gone for me. My need would be someone who realizes the limitations of a mid 70’s golfer.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

@dlow206 - What a great review.  Thanks for taking the time out to give such a detailed write-up.  I'm lucky enough to have ready access to good instruction for my daughter and me, but this is such a good option for people.  And it seems to be pretty well priced for what you get.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

One thing that I really like about Skillest (especially with the subscription) is that I get back personalized videos recorded by my instructor. This may be a subtle difference with other online lessons, or maybe it is even instructor specific. With other online lessons, i have gotten back an analysis of my swing and then some generic videos of drills to perform or changes to work on. However with my instructor on Skillest, if we are working on something even as small as grip change, he will send back a video response where he demonstrates what i did incorrectly and then the correct position. For example, he spent two minutes on video explaining what I was doing wrong with my left thumb, how it should actually be placed on the club and why it is so important. For me, these types of details help me learn better.

Updated 07/15/2022

15 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

@dlow206 - What a great review.  Thanks for taking the time out to give such a detailed write-up.  I'm lucky enough to have ready access to good instruction for my daughter and me, but this is such a good option for people.  And it seems to be pretty well priced for what you get.

Thanks for stopping the thread. I definitely feel like it is a good value for the price, particularly the monthly subscription. While everyone has different perceptions on what a good value is, the subscription model on Skillest is truly unlimited. I have sent more than one set of videos in on a single day for example. The first set was trying the drill, the instructor gave some feedback on the drill, then i sent in a second trying to incorporate that feedback. For me that is important, because i am one of those people that ask "is this right", "is that right".

Updated 07/15/2022

If anyone is interested in trying Skillest, they are running 25% off one off lessons and 7 day passes for black friday. Code is FRIDAY25 and is good until 11/30.

Updated 07/15/2022

• 1 month later...

How do you guys who use skillest decide which swing videos to send in? I've been thinking about it for a while now but most of my practice is into a net so its hard for me to decide which swings produce good results and which ones produce my common misses, the big misses I can tell but I'm looking for more consistency in my swing, and avoiding the big misses more than anything else.

I've been looking into some type of online instruction for a while now and have looked at a couple of guys on skillest. Ideally I'd like to take lessons in person but I've had a hard time finding someone in my area who is consistently available especially year to year. Any one try any of the other instructors?

9 minutes ago, Patriots68 said:

How do you guys who use skillest decide which swing videos to send in?

I haven't used skillest, but I've posted videos for review on another golf forum (I won't name competing websites here).   The instructor there says frequently that your swing is pretty much the same all the time, your faults will still be there even if the result is good.  Just be sure the camera angle is what the teacher wants to see, do it in slow motion if he wants that.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

8 minutes ago, Patriots68 said:

How do you guys who use skillest decide which swing videos to send in? I've been thinking about it for a while now but most of my practice is into a net so its hard for me to decide which swings produce good results and which ones produce my common misses, the big misses I can tell but I'm looking for more consistency in my swing, and avoiding the big misses more than anything else.

I've been looking into some type of online instruction for a while now and have looked at a couple of guys on skillest. Ideally I'd like to take lessons in person but I've had a hard time finding someone in my area who is consistently available especially year to year. Any one try any of the other instructors?

Having worked with a couple online instructors last year albeit not via skillest. Take one swing from face on and one from down the line.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s one that was a big miss or a good swing. A good instructor will communicate with you and ask questions to gather info about you and your swing to include your big miss.

The vast majority of us produce the same swing movements on all of our shots. A good instructor will be able to see what causes the big miss

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...

Does Skillest charge their course fee of $12 for every lesson (I was looking at the 7 day pass). It says it is for a lifetime of storage etc. Hence wasn't sure if it was a one-off additional charge or something that comes with each lesson that you book through them.

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2021 at 10:45 PM, Serge said:

Does Skillest charge their course fee of $12 for every lesson (I was looking at the 7 day pass). It says it is for a lifetime of storage etc. Hence wasn't sure if it was a one-off additional charge or something that comes with each lesson that you book through them.

sorry, didnt see this before. yes, there is a fee per lesson. If you get a subscription, like a monthly subscription, there is a Skillest fee added on to the monthly fee. 

Updated 07/15/2022

Since I originally created this post, I had transitioned off of using a coach on the skillest app and then started using a different coach on skillest. i am now working with Jonathan Chown: https://www.instagram.com/jchowngolf/?hl=en

One thing i have found important as i have worked with different instructors is that besides finding a competent instructor, you need to find someone that can best facilitate your learning, which includes their communication style. Some teachers are brief and to the point and tell you this is whats wrong and work on this. Other teachers go into more detail about why certain things are happening, etc. 

For me, I am a nerd in general and i really like to know the details. For example, i have a tendency to lose balls straight right, sometimes severely, especially with irons. The prevailing golf instruction thought from a grip perspective would be to strengthen my grip. It actually turned out that if weaken my right hand i actually hit the ball straighter and sometimes turn the ball over. Jonathan went into great detail explaining to me about match ups and how with my normal grip (strongish but not super strong right hand), im a bit closed at the top and then my reaction to that is to early extend, open the face on the way down, etc. so that i don't hit it super left with a closed face. With the weaker grip with the right hand, my face is square at the top, whereas some people with the weaker grip actually get the face really open. 

That's just an example, and Jonathan always responds to my lesson submissions with at least 10 minutes or more on analysis of my swings and a custom video on drills for me to work on, even though i probably bother him too much and send in videos weekly. He also responds quickly to my questions when i send him a message. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 6 months later...

Reviving this thread.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:36 PM, dlow206 said:

Since I originally created this post, I had transitioned off of using a coach on the skillest app and then started using a different coach on skillest. i am now working with Jonathan Chown: https://www.instagram.com/jchowngolf/?hl=en

One thing i have found important as i have worked with different instructors is that besides finding a competent instructor, you need to find someone that can best facilitate your learning, which includes their communication style. Some teachers are brief and to the point and tell you this is whats wrong and work on this. Other teachers go into more detail about why certain things are happening, etc. 

For me, I am a nerd in general and i really like to know the details. For example, i have a tendency to lose balls straight right, sometimes severely, especially with irons. The prevailing golf instruction thought from a grip perspective would be to strengthen my grip. It actually turned out that if weaken my right hand i actually hit the ball straighter and sometimes turn the ball over. Jonathan went into great detail explaining to me about match ups and how with my normal grip (strongish but not super strong right hand), im a bit closed at the top and then my reaction to that is to early extend, open the face on the way down, etc. so that i don't hit it super left with a closed face. With the weaker grip with the right hand, my face is square at the top, whereas some people with the weaker grip actually get the face really open. 

That's just an example, and Jonathan always responds to my lesson submissions with at least 10 minutes or more on analysis of my swings and a custom video on drills for me to work on, even though i probably bother him too much and send in videos weekly. He also responds quickly to my questions when i send him a message. 

OP — how are you finding the lessons with Jonathan?  I have been working with Alex Moore for some time — but I think I would like to get a new set of eyes and thoughts (not necessarily move away from Alex (who has been great and patient) — but just check out someone new.

6 hours ago, qwiklap said:

Reviving this thread.

OP — how are you finding the lessons with Jonathan?  I have been working with Alex Moore for some time — but I think I would like to get a new set of eyes and thoughts (not necessarily move away from Alex (who has been great and patient) — but just check out someone new.

I've moved off Skillest and onto the Kirk Junge one plane swing system. I wanted to move toward something completely different. 

Updated 07/15/2022

• 7 months later...

D- I saw on Instagram you are back on Skillest  - still a believerI assume?  Any particular feedback on your latest coach Molly? 

I downloaded the app but haven’t used it yet - age old question - best way to record your video? Getting the phone camera in the right spot….?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

2 hours ago, WaffleHouseTour said:

age old question - best way to record your video? Getting the phone camera in the right spot….?

I always used a regular camera (video mode);  a phone works just as well. 

Here is a video that tells you where to place the camera for DTL and FO views.  Basically the camera is at hand height and pointed directly at your hands for both views.  I have used a string that I run from the camera toward where I am setup to make sure everything is setup correctly.   Or you could use a second person to record your swing.    

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 6 months later...