Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I Forgot How To Hit My Driver

OH MY! So it has happened again! I can no longer hit my driver. I can't make solid contact. Im Delofting the the Head. Its shank city. The ball is hitting every sport of the club face but the center. I am bewildered! My iron play has greatly improved but suddenly my driver swing is no longer there! Bull is duffed or out of bounds..... Any advice to get rid of the driver yips and get my groove back here?  

“Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. “ - Gen Patton

Playing out of  Celina, Tx with a mediocre 92 average.....Coach!

Ping G410 Plus - 10.5* Alta CB 55 Stiff

Callaway Mavriks 4-AW TT-X100

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Taylormade Hit Toe 56* KB-2.0 Hi Rev

Taylormade Spider X Tour - all black

Trophy Hunter RealTree Camo Bag

I went through chipping yips for a year. I took my pros advice to stand further away from the ball and did it for the chips and it was gone. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. Now there's no issue. So, maybe try a set up change. It was a very embarrassing to go through. Yet it was kind of a cool challenge to fix it as well. 

Also, if your driver is adjustable. Try different settings. Had a similar issue with a 3 wood. Once, I changed my setting, all was good. 

Edited by NC Golfer

Shorten swing until you find center, even if it is just waist high. Then ramp up. Some of it may be technique but a lot of it is between the ears. Just need to reestablish a base and work from there. Good luck. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Shorten swing until you find center, even if it is just waist high. Then ramp up. Some of it may be technique but a lot of it is between the ears. Just need to reestablish a base and work from there. Good luck. 

Spot on! Last time I had a driver problem - about two months ago that was my instructors guidance and it worked. My shortened backswing had minimal effect on distance.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Good advice!!  Works for every club;  9 to 3 drill.  Swing club to parallel (9 o'clock), then through impact to parallel (3 o'clock).  Smooth swings, only hit ball ~100 yards.  When you can repeatedly hit solid straight shots, lengthen backswing and followthrough.  If things get wild, go back to 9 to 3.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Kenny B and @THEZIPR23 thanks for the advice. Ill start working on that. @Shankster you comment had me laughing out loud! Most relatable comment ever! 

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

11 minutes ago, CoachTut said:

@Kenny B and @THEZIPR23 thanks for the advice. Ill start working on that. @Shankster you comment had me laughing out loud! Most relatable comment ever! 

I bet you find out that you will take the club back way too far when you start.  Hard to not go past parallel.  It's a short shot; smooth transition.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 11/10/2020 at 8:18 PM, Kenny B said:

Good advice!!  Works for every club;  9 to 3 drill.  Swing club to parallel (9 o'clock), then through impact to parallel (3 o'clock).  Smooth swings, only hit ball ~100 yards.  When you can repeatedly hit solid straight shots, lengthen backswing and followthrough.  If things get wild, go back to 9 to 3.

Just hit the range today. Hit 35 balls like this till I was happy with low speed launch angle then started to rip em at about a 3/4 -7/8 rotation and they took flight again and mostly within 20 yards of center at end point. Lost a little distance but I’ll keep repping until full swing again. Still happy with the 265 carry average. Thanks for the advise y’all!!

Nike SV 52* TT-S400

Lots of good advice here. My approach is typically swap to an iron or hybrid off the tee (will be my wood now since I have one). Driving range until I work it out.

luckily play with people that don’t care if I take one off the tee after my 1st shot which helps too

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

hit a small bucket of balls at the range with driver in hand. The only intent is on increasing your launch angle. We arent trying to steer or guide anything straight. Dont worry about the left/right ball flight. We want to hit up on the ball. Feel like we arent hitting to a flag, but rather to a cloud above the target. Feel like the release is after the ball and you are smashing it up. When you have this feel or thought, you will automatically swing from the inside, as an OTT move is steep and down. You will keep your right side bend and you will stay back behind the ball. No more swaying left or bumping out as that will only move the low point forward. We want the low point to be more middle of the stance. Dont care if we even hit the ground here.

what does this have to do with driver yips. well, when you start towing the driver through the ball rather than trying to hit it, you will keep the face more square, your path will be much better, and you will actually hit the ball straighter unless your AoA is already very positive. If you are +5 then ignore everything. But most people are OTT, steep, and stall, hitting low fades when things are working. and low pulls, high slices, and all over the face when they are not on.

Hand Release Actions Through the Impact Zone

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 11:21 AM, CoachTut said:

OH MY! So it has happened again! I can no longer hit my driver. I can't make solid contact. Im Delofting the the Head. Its shank city. The ball is hitting every sport of the club face but the center. I am bewildered! My iron play has greatly improved but suddenly my driver swing is no longer there! Bull is duffed or out of bounds..... Any advice to get rid of the driver yips and get my groove back here?  

Been going through this most of the end of the year. Making it my offseason goal to get more consistent and leave myself in a good place off the tee. If I faulted I do have a DI I can now depend on. My problem is like you, I deloft a ton with my driver -2 to -4 on AOA which is a no go with the driver.  On top of that I had a Bryson swing I am trying to get out of so I can get better consistency and more distance. Sounds like you figured it out so keep it up! I have the same issue where my iron swing is great now but does not translate to the driver. 

5376F4BC-28B3-4635-8078-14EFBB52ECD8.png

08080016-DE33-4E43-AFA8-8C281F9B6556.png

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I've always been of the mindset that the driver swing is just like my iron swing, I just have the ball placed a little more forward in my stance. I watch them on video and the backswing is also a little longer with the driver, but the motions are all identical. Never had a problem.

BT

• 9 months later...

I just went through this... Of all times I was playing Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes with 11 college buddies. Literally topped every drive but 1 or 2 into the ground. Got a quick lesson and My knees were too flexed and hands too far from my body at address. Striping it now.