TESTERS WANTED! ×

Getting a Grip!

stj51

Good morning Spy's!! 

I was hoping for a few opinions on Swing Grips. I current swing a Lamkin Crossline Midsize Grip on most clubs and Trialing a Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize as well. I have tried Standard grips as well. I can't fully get comfortable with either sizes. I have bigger hands so thought I might try the Golf Pride +4 line next. I was curious what has worked well for you and how you got to that point of being comfortable with your grip size? Thanks in advance!

Edited by stj51
Submitted too soon

:titelist-small: - Driver - TSi2 10 deg, -1 Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 (6.0)
:titelist-small:  - Fairway Wood - TSi2 3 Wood 15 deg, -½ Length, Project X TSi Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 19 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Hybrid - TS2 Hybrid 23 deg Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 HYB (6.0)
:titelist-small: - Irons T200 (6 - W 48) True Temper AMT Black (S300)
:titelist-small: - Wedge - SM7 52.12 F Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 56.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:titelist-small:  - Wedge - SM8 60.12 D Grind, True Temper Vokey Wedge (Wedge Flex)
:scotty-small: - 2020 Newport Select, Pistolini Grip, 35"
:titelist-small: - ProV1 

Everyone's grip choice will be different.  The most comfortable grip is one that fits your hands, feels good to you, and allows you to achieve your best swing.  Check with your fitter or golf pro.  

Personally, I like the feel of a rougher, corded-type grip; I tend to put a death grip on smoother grips thinking they will slip in my hands.  Currently playing Pure DTX in midsize.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I put my grips on using air, not tape (see Pure Grips video on their website).  I can buy one grip, put it on in 30 sec; if I don't like it, I can take it off in 30 sec and try something else.  No mess.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

19 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I put my grips on using air, not tape (see Pure Grips video on their website).  I can buy one grip, put it on in 30 sec; if I don't like it, I can take it off in 30 sec and try something else.  No mess.

First time I've seen this.  I like it.

Just tap it in.  Lil' taparoo.

:honma: TW747 460 10.5° Vizard stiff

:adams-small: 4 Hybrid

:Sub70: 699 5-Aw; KBS Tour-V 90 Stiff

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 58°

:taylormade-small: Spider Interactive

4 minutes ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

There are a couple of threads on the forum here talking about using air to install grips.  Lots of discussion.  Do a search if interested.

25 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

6 minutes ago, IDontGiveAchuck said:

For folks that want to use an air compressor, make sure you use the proper equipment (i.e. something that covers the grip like the Pure grip tool has built in). You don't want the grip to blow up without that cover over it.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

Good morning Spy's!! 
I was hoping for a few opinions on Swing Grips. I current swing a Lamkin Crossline Midsize Grip on most clubs and Trialing a Golf Pride Tour Velvet midsize as well. I have tried Standard grips as well. I can't fully get comfortable with either sizes. I have bigger hands so thought I might try the Golf Pride +4 line next. I was curious what has worked well for you and how you got to that point of being comfortable with your grip size? Thanks in advance!

Tried a few different grips over the years, but have used MCC +4 for the pas 3 years. I use the midsize which fits my hand well (XL glove size). GP also makes them in Jumbo size as well - but they're too big for me. Keep in mind that you can build up the grip with layers of tape.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I prefer Lamkins. They tend to be cheaper and as good as GP's.  Like others have said, it's a personal preference on feel. You have to experiment. There's also cost, whether you are putting them on yourself or having golf galaxy do them a $3 per club )not bad). I like Lamkin Crossline 360's. No logo involved, easier to install. Plus, they feel better than regular Crosslines. The gray looks good. Also, I like Sonar Mid-Size plus they are less tapered.  

Edited by NC Golfer

23 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I've started doing this as well.  Heckuva lot less mess!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

23 hours ago, dlow206 said:

For folks that want to use an air compressor, make sure you use the proper equipment (i.e. something that covers the grip like the Pure grip tool has built in). You don't want the grip to blow up without that cover over it.

Safety glasses as well.  Always when you work with compressed air being introduced into ANYTHING!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

• 1 month later...

Get a Midsize with a couple of wraps of tape and also a jumbo placed on a couple of clubs.  Best way to test.  I personally like the Plus 4 grips in midsize with Align.  Grips are relatively cheap to change and test.  Best way to do it

a. Iron specs: Mizuno MP-33, Dynamic Gold R300, 2* upright, standard length

b. Ping G, 10.5*, standard length, regular Alta shaft

c. Dexterity: right-handed

d. Alabama USA

e. 7 handicap

1 hour ago, FrankieButterKnife said:

I feel like Winn grips get left out of the discussion a lot.  I really like their Dri-Tac midsize - something about the softness of them just feels right to me, can't explain it but my ball striking has definitely improved.  Use them on all my irons and driver.

I used the same grips for a few years but they wore out to quickly for me. Once they start going the rubber would leave black all over the golf glove and the cords would come through the grip. I switched over to the Golf Pride CP2 Pro in midsize about two to three seasons ago and they hold up much better and have a good grip to them. Not as soft as the Winn but I actually prefer them now. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag