Transition from “normal” diet to plant based vegan

Our Sponsors

1 minute ago, Chip Strokes said:

most people who go vegan don't track macros or eat to fill certain numbers.  a few of my buddies who do both get a lot of protein from: seitan, tofu, yogurt, beans, protein shakes, etc.  

getting there is a slog, and takes a LOT more food than if you were to eat meat.

that said, the majority of people way undereat to begin with, so switching to vegan (where they still arent taking in optimum protein amounts) is still a net positive, as the foods they're now eating are generally healthier than what they used to eat.

Man, I just don't think I could do it.  I'm getting 193 grams a day right now, nobody wants me to eat that many beans.

• Haha 4

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Follow the Progress here! So I am sure some of you have seen my discussion in the “random thread” but wanted to start a longer discussion as I am sure some folks are interested in this. Gues

Yeast works harder than some people I know lol

Here's one thing I made yesterday that is vegetarian and could be made vegan - glazed carrots! These were carrots from my garden this year. Sous vide 2.5 hours at 185 degrees with 1/2 tsp s

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

So you got me curious with this thread so I mentioned it to the wife and we started watching "What the Health" the other night...man do I regret doing that!  What the hell is actually okay to eat anymore??  Scary stuff really.

Wife passed out halfway through so I only saw the first half; we'll likely watch the rest tonight.  

What the hell do you eat to get enough daily protein?

So at this point in time I am probably actually taking in more protein. In "what the health" one thing really stuck to me....why do we need to eat meat for protein? Those animals get all their protein from plants!

I have been eating a variety of nuts (walnuts are my favorite), spinach, oats etc.

For me I am not trying to put on much mass at this point so I have cut my intake to about 50g a day. 1 cup of oats is about 12g of protein, 1/4 cup of walnuts is 6g. 

Not only am I intaking better nutrients, but I am cutting down on calories which is allowing me to reduce some LBS. They are not "melting" off yet but my gut in general feels great and my pants feel so much better. Its literally just feeling and no major physique changes.

I am confident though that to gain some mass you can very easily do it vegan, as you will see in what the health at the end.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

1 minute ago, Lacassem said:

So at this point in time I am probably actually taking in more protein. In "what the health" one thing really stuck to me....why do we need to eat meat for protein? Those animals get all their protein from plants!

I have been eating a variety of nuts (walnuts are my favorite), spinach, oats etc.

For me I am not trying to put on much mass at this point so I have cut my intake to about 50g a day. 1 cup of oats is about 12g of protein, 1/4 cup of walnuts is 6g. 

Not only am I intaking better nutrients, but I am cutting down on calories which is allowing me to reduce some LBS. They are not "melting" off yet but my gut in general feels great and my pants feel so much better. Its literally just feeling and no major physique changes.

I am confident though that to gain some mass you can very easily do it vegan, as you will see in what the health at the end.

Well good on you, I'll be following.  Not sure I could take this plunge though, BBQ is not something I think I could live without!

• Like 2

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS3 3 & 4H, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Well good on you, I'll be following.  Not sure I could take this plunge though, BBQ is not something I think I could live without!

Like I said ill be back to the meat come summer or even after the new year. I just really wanted to feel better overall and get down to a target weight. I am by no means obese but I know where I should be and its not 204 unless I was really lifting. I cant do that anymore, been there for several years and my body has taken enough abuse, I want to golf in my 70s 😂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Check out my reviews

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

1 hour ago, Getoffmylawn said:

there is such thing as vegan BBQ!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS7 at 44.5"

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or  DI: PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges      Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

1 minute ago, tommc23 said:

Has anyone that eats "clean" or vegan made their own peanut butter??? I mean it's a pretty decent protein source. I just made some in a few minutes 

20201124_202110.jpg

I have not, but that looks awesome . 

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

26 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I have not, but that looks awesome . 

It's freaking easy add peanuts into a food processor until you hit the desired texture I had smooth in 4 minutes from adding to putting into my container 

• Like 2

Vegan potato soup with field roast Italian sausage and cashew cream. Better than Olive Garden Zuppa Tuscano. 

44DDC102-0B48-4F0B-B3D5-E0C763849DD9.jpeg

Edited by rbsiedsc
  • Like 5

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or  DI: PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

Wedges      Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Like I said ill be back to the meat come summer or even after the new year. I just really wanted to feel better overall and get down to a target weight. I am by no means obese but I know where I should be and its not 204 unless I was really lifting. I cant do that anymore, been there for several years and my body has taken enough abuse, I want to golf in my 70s 

You know the old saying “If I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself”

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

there is such thing as vegan BBQ!

No, there's not. BBQ is, in it's simplest form, meat cooked slowly on a metal frame in a container filled with smoke. If the protein being cooked is not meat, then it's not BBQ in a true sense. My 2c.

• Like 3

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1 hour ago, MattF said:

No, there's not. BBQ is, in it's simplest form, meat cooked slowly on a metal frame in a container filled with smoke. If the protein being cooked is not meat, then it's not BBQ in a true sense. My 2c.

Debatable. BBQ by definition is the cooking Method which is low and slow as well as the distinct tastes. Over the years BBQ has been linked to meat but is not exclusive to what you are cooking.

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

1 hour ago, MattF said:

https://www.homegrownsmoker.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

Debatable. BBQ by definition is the cooking Method which is low and slow as well as the distinct tastes. Over the years BBQ has been linked to meat but is not exclusive to what you are cooking.

2 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

Fair enough, but I stand by my definition and I'd imagine all the 1,000's of members on BBQBrethren.com would too. I personally, can't call something BBQ that isn't meat.

• Like 2

In the bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

31 minutes ago, MattF said:

Fair enough, but I stand by my definition and I'd imagine all the 1,000's of members on BBQBrethren.com would too. I personally, can't call something BBQ that isn't meat.

Understandable and for the most part am the same when it comes to BBQ jack fruit pulled pork just isn’t the same lol

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

How’s your thanksgiving turn out??

D7EA0EF0-5223-4196-BD3A-EA5BA1F7386B.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, rbsiedsc said:

How’s your thanksgiving turn out??

D7EA0EF0-5223-4196-BD3A-EA5BA1F7386B.jpeg

We had ours yesterday. Carrots, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, beats and some stuffing. We did some chicken for my son

the green bean casserole came out mint. Vegan cream cheese

• Like 2

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

Here's one thing I made yesterday that is vegetarian and could be made vegan - glazed carrots!

carrots.jpg.e33c284f23b3747c5ceab63baac0aa1c.jpg

These were carrots from my garden this year. Sous vide 2.5 hours at 185 degrees with 1/2 tsp salt, 1 Tbsp sugar (or sugar substitute for those of us who are low carb), 2 Tbsp butter (sub oil for vegan). 

I sous-vide'ed on Wednesday and then put them in the fridge overnight. To finish, dump the contents of the bag in to a skillet and saute until all of the liquid evaporates and the carrots began to brown. I add thyme and a little black pepper. Shortly before serving toss with a bit of lemon juice.

• Like 6

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (10.5°, Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver Hybrid Stiff
5-7:  
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
7-GW:  maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Just caught up my google sheet if anyone is interested. Was logging daily but past 5 days to be expected were pretty busy.

Week 2 recap is in there but overal I feel great and am definitely “groggy” when I am not eating a food meal. The past few days prior and after thanksgiving we had done quick meals and and ate out after Friday’s round. I can feel the difference even within a few hours. 
I am somewhat tired but I don’t think it’s the diet change it’s work is pretty busy and the holiday season sucks it out of me (get all our stuff done early so we aren’t rushing around later)

Also had my first round and my first time swinging since starting this. Speed is still there and walking the course (fairly hilly) and didn’t break stride, felt good the whole day. Also built a frame for a swing yesterday with my dad and brother, no strength lost whatsoever. I think I would have been a little more sore as well after yesterday, could be nothing but could be something not sure.

• Like 4

Check out my reviews

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

On 11/23/2020 at 8:21 PM, Chip Strokes said:

‘tis the season for all the uncommon ravioli fillings...sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash, portobello mushroom, beet and spinach...

damn now i’m hungry 

Had some homemade butternut squash ravioli for a thanksgiving appetizer, so good.

• Like 4

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed