TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shaft Length

Alf. S

I've always used 44.5" or longer driver,my recent gamer is an Epic 10.5' with a Fujikura Pro 62 Stiff shaft. I was fitted for a Maverik and the fitter convinced me that I should go for the Maverik Max head with a 43.5" HZRDUS Snoke 60. HIs main selling point was that I won't lose much distance and should get better dispersion. I've now played with it for 6 weeks and on the course I felt I was losing distance (even though it is winter conditions).

I took both drivers down to the range and using my Mevo, measured the Maverik at 7mph slower head speed and about 20 yds shorter. I'm now using the Maverik Max head on the Fujikura shaft and seem to be getting a lot better results. 

I would be interested on anyone else's experience with shorter shafts!

I'm turning 60 and can't really afforded to give up 20 yds in a season!

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

As was confirmed in my fitting last week, I have a faster swingspeed at 44" than I do at anything longer.  It's odd given that I am 6'3" and play my irons at longer than standard length.  I would think this to be such an individual fitting aspect though that my experience would not be germane to yours.  It appears you have solid evidence that a shorter shaft did not work for you.

The only question I would have is whether the Maverik had weight added back to the head and how overall weight affects you.  I knew shorter was better for me but adding weight only to the head did not work.  I needed a heavier shaft (70+ grams) and already use a slightly heavier grip due to it being midsize.  Total weight and how it was distributed was key for me.  My swingspeed hovers right around 100 so not superhuman :).

I cut down the shaft in my G400, went to a lighter shaft, an No weight added.

I am seeing faster clubhead speed, better contact location, better dispersion, and more distance.

The question I would ask is that while your clubhead speed is down how does ball speed compare?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I as well have a cut down shaft - but only 1/2" (fitter's recommendation) and I'm getting longer distance with the same driver than I did the previous season. However, I can't attribute the longer distance that I getting to the shortened shaft or swingspeed protocols. I can tell you I'm getting better contact (center) on the face of the club and tighter dispersion. Have you looked at face contact using impact tape or foot spray? It's my understanding that for every 1/4" off center = 7 yds. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Similar to @bellairemi, my swingspeed is at its maximum well short of the modern 45"+ driver lengths; discovered the "sweet spot" in a clubmaker fitting a few years back.  I've spent most of the last few years playing driver at 43.5", sometimes 43.25" or even 43".  I get much better results overall at these lengths.

I spent a month this year trying clubs at 44" or even longer, and it wasn't pretty.  Certainly no additional length, and the rest of my tee game was devolved.

Meddling PSA coming....  😉

It's important to note...  this is how it works for ME.  It's the result of experimentation and fitting.  What works for me may not be right for you.  A good fitting, from a good fitter, will give you the correct answer for your game.

Try to keep an open mind, you can't assume you need 60-something gram shafts, or a certain flex, because of your age or swingspeed.  Your swing governs what you need.  You could find yourself surprised.

I didn't expect that my best would come from a 100g shaft at 43", certainly, and I was predisposed towards heavier wood shafts already.

(If it matters, I'm 57 yrs old)

Edited by NRJyzr
because my grammar and editing are not always good, LOL

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

7 MPH and 20 yards less sounds more like a fitting or building error than consequences from a purely 1" shorter shaft. If the weight and shaft profile are off, it could certainly impact your ability to swing fast. I do believe there could be many strokes to be saved by the golfing community if we all used shorter driver shafts but it can be a little challenging to fit because it is so different from how the clubs are designed by OEMs. 

I actually gained 10-15 yards going to a 43.25" driver from a 45.75". Better yet, if I miss a fairway it isn't by much.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Everybody is different - Just look at the variety of shaft lengths on tour and then between guys on tour and gals on the LPGA - you will find from 43 - 48.  I'm surprised he wouldn't have had you try the head with a shaft that was 43.5.  It's one thing to say that dispersion should be better when you're not the one laying out $500.  

I know from fittings that best shaft length for me will vary based upon shaft weight, COG of driver, etc.  I've been fit for shafts anywhere between 44.5 to 45 7/8's over the course of the past six years - only one of those was a misfit but it wasn't because of the length.

Twenty yards lost seems like a lot for an inch though - there might be something else wrong.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Sounds like a bad fitting to me.

The Hzardus Smoke is a stiffer overall shaft anyway, but if the swing weight isn't restored to the head in cutting down an inch, the cpm goes up and makes it even stiffer - no wonder you're losing distance.

It's important to evaluate the whole club build as a whole in fitting and even though the shaft length is very important, the flex at a given swing weight and combined shaft profile is critical in getting the correct launch parameters with the available loft. The Hzardus is generally a low spin and launch shaft, so even at the same length as the Fujikura it would probably cost you yards if it isn't a decent match to your swing. 

The next time anyone tries to sell you a concept - tell them to prove it! Only when you can see the performance gain is it time to part with your money.

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

Sounds like a bad fitting to me.

The Hzardus Smoke is a stiffer overall shaft anyway, but if the swing weight isn't restored to the head in cutting down an inch, the cpm goes up and makes it even stiffer - no wonder you're losing distance.

It's important to evaluate the whole club build as a whole in fitting and even though the shaft length is very important, the flex at a given swing weight and combined shaft profile is critical in getting the correct launch parameters with the available loft. The Hzardus is generally a low spin and launch shaft, so even at the same length as the Fujikura it would probably cost you yards if it isn't a decent match to your swing. 

The next time anyone tries to sell you a concept - tell them to prove it! Only when you can see the performance gain is it time to part with your money.

The cpm's go up, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's stiffer.  Each flex follows a slope, as length decreases, frequency must increase to stay on the same flex.  

In the Rifle shaft inspired 2.875" (or so) clamp length, this was 4.3 cpm/half inch.  In the 5" clamp world, it's roughly 5cpm per half inch.

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

Has a fitting and it recommended to have a 1/2 inch taken off my M4.  Can say was hitting it straighter, length is about the same as before.

Driver Taylor Made M4

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal

Mizuno ES 21 Wedges

Taylor Made TP Collection Putter

You guys got me thinking ( very dangerous thing!!!)

I tried my wife's Cobra F-8 with the the stock Aldila NV 2KXV Blue, I was carrying the restricted driving range balls  about 15-20 yards shorter than with my driver, but they were all med-high (which I loved) and baby draws and fades when I did not hit them dead straight.

So I bought the same driver, same shaft BUT with a regular shaft at 45.5 inches, not near the same results, was hitting the same balls 15-20 yards LONGER BUT fades and slices were the most common flight.

So is it the flex or length of the shaft? 

DRIVER: default_cobra-small.jpg.125f3712aad21ad9f7ca2c672e34a299.jpg  Cobra F-8 set at 10.5,  Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60 (R) 44 1/2 "

3 & 5 WOOD: default_callaway-small.jpg.a58e7c6760b71a9eb95d385ecc5d2200.jpg Callaway XR-16, Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 Red (R) 

IRONS 5-SW: default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-700, 2 upright, std loft  Alta CB (R) + 1/2"

HYBRID 3-4:  default_ping-small.jpg.b7606a25498d65282474c96f18d2debd.jpg PING G-410, 1 upright,  Alta CB 70 Red (R) + 1/2"

PUTTER: Byron Experimental GSS

On 11/13/2020 at 6:43 AM, bellairemi said:

As was confirmed in my fitting last week, I have a faster swingspeed at 44" than I do at anything longer.  It's odd given that I am 6'3" and play my irons at longer than standard length.  I would think this to be such an individual fitting aspect though that my experience would not be germane to yours.  It appears you have solid evidence that a shorter shaft did not work for you.

The only question I would have is whether the Maverik had weight added back to the head and how overall weight affects you.  I knew shorter was better for me but adding weight only to the head did not work.  I needed a heavier shaft (70+ grams) and already use a slightly heavier grip due to it being midsize.  Total weight and how it was distributed was key for me.  My swingspeed hovers right around 100 so not superhuman :).

Curious if you know your release point?  Guessing about a mid release guy?  Also searching for answers and so far i have learned that i release the club 

too early to take advantage of a longer driver shaft.  Nice work getting the 44  up to 100 though!  Hit it flush.

3 hours ago, LeafBoy said:

Curious if you know your release point?  Guessing about a mid release guy?  Also searching for answers and so far i have learned that i release the club 

too early to take advantage of a longer driver shaft.  Nice work getting the 44  up to 100 though!  Hit it flush.

Yes, mid-release.  I grew up in the persimmon era and my driver was 42.5" for all my seminal golf years.  I suspect that has affected my golf DNA to some degree.