Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Useful automated swing analysis app - any out there?

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (and still pretty new to golf to be fair!) so if this is out of topic or against rules then please let me know. Anyway, I've been working on my swing recently, trying to refine and improve as I still have some bad habits which make my game inconsistent. 

I've tried a bunch of swing analysis apps but I was disappointed because they are either just a glorified video recording app, or they get you to send your videos off to a golf pro for analysis (for a pretty sizeable fee). Does anyone else have this problem? I find the hardware type swing analyzers (ie. Arcos, Zepp, et al.) don't really help with this that much, and other products like Flightscope are really too expensive.

I'm a techie so have been hacking together my own app which can record my swing and automatically perform swing analysis on the spot (using image analysis/computer vision). I'm building it so it looks at posture throughout the swing, club positioning, grip, swing curvature, tempo, and club face on impact. The plan is to clip my phone onto my golf bag and position it so I can record from behind or side-on. 

I'm testing this on myself and a few golf buddies right now - but wondering if anyone else would be interested in using an app like this? Would love to hear if anyone else has this issue or if there is actually an app out there that already does something similar? 

It would be great to get some additional testers too. If interested let me know - I've created a cheap landing page to easily get some sign ups for testing: https://golfmatics.carrd.co/ 

Thanks!

The big question is what qualifications do you have to analyze a swing.  If you build an app,  there has to be logic.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

The big question is what qualifications do you have to analyze a swing.  If you build an app,  there has to be logic.  

I second what @cnosil said @jbaker3004. I'm all for bringing tech to the masses and a lower price point as well, however everyone's swing is a bit different and forcing them all into the same "box" could prove detrimental to their game. 

What are your plans to analyze the swing and make recommendations based on a players existing swing type? Is the plan to make a bit of a course out of it for improvements week over week? Do you have a golf instructor as part of your dev team? 

Like the ideas, lot of questions about execution as I definitely want this to succeed!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

@Tarheelvolvo knows what he's talking about.

The best app I've seen for this so far is V1, combined with a good instructor, who can mark up the videos you send in, give you commentary and things to work on.  

I'm working on an AI project with one of my clients right now, so it would be really cool to use that tech to do something like compare you to the tour pro you're most like and give you drills to get you closer to that ideal.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

23 hours ago, jbaker3004 said:

or they get you to send your videos off to a golf pro for analysis (for a pretty sizeable fee

The value comes from having a good instructor look at the video.  Any bozo (including me) can look at a golf swing and find "issues" with it.  In almost every case, the "issue" is a symptom of something else.  The real skill is in determining the cause of the "issue", and in providing the golfer with a method to correct the cause.  The correction methods might include any of a number of different drills or "feels", and each golfer will respond to some of those drills and feels, but not to others.  Even if you were to work with a great golf instructor, I don't believe you could program an app to replace his eyes and his judgement.  Doing this on your own would be next to worthless.

23 hours ago, jbaker3004 said:

Anyway, I've been working on my swing recently, trying to refine and improve as I still have some bad habits which make my game inconsistent. 

What are you doing to work on your swing?  You have some bad habits, how have you determined the root cause of these habits?  Please don't tell me you're using Youtube videos, for every single symptom you can find dozens and dozens of different "cures", and many of them will contradict one another.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I wish I could like your post 1000 times!!!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The value comes from having a good instructor look at the video.  Any bozo (including me) can look at a golf swing and find "issues" with it.  In almost every case, the "issue" is a symptom of something else.  The real skill is in determining the cause of the "issue", and in providing the golfer with a method to correct the cause.  The correction methods might include any of a number of different drills or "feels", and each golfer will respond to some of those drills and feels, but not to others.  Even if you were to work with a great golf instructor, I don't believe you could program an app to replace his eyes and his judgement.  Doing this on your own would be next to worthless.

Could have said it better myself!

I also feel its worth mentioning that even though I am an instructor and plenty knowledgeable, I rarely truly analyze my own full swing on video by myself. This is actually something a lot more teaching pros do than most realize. This is because we all naturally hold biases about what we may not like in our own swings that can often blind us from the end goal of building a swing that helps us play as consistence as possible. Not to have the prettiest swing. 

So when I do feel like things are getting a bit away from me and I'm starting to notice some issues while playing, I have 5 or 6 other pros who I can either send a video to and have a text conversation with or even find a time for a comprehensive in person lesson

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

@jbaker3004A few suggestions/considerations based on my very basic knowledge of A.I. and machine learning using photos and videos:

- how do you plan on populating your database of images/video of "ideal" swings and positions?

- are you going to capture physical characteristics and capabilities of testers? Or more importantly, their movement restrictions... For example, having a user input their scores or measurements from a TPI movement screen that highlights poor hip mobility would add context why a swing looks a certain way and also what movements that person is incapable of performing thus eliminating potential corrections. 

- Ideally, you would analyze a video linked to ball data. Using the Jim Furyk swing scenario: an automated system would highlight several points in the swing where the club was outside of normal/average angles and positions. If you aren't diagnosing problems with ball flight, your system is just solving for a prettier swing picture. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

18Birdes, the phone based golf GPS app, has this capability (if you pay for it, but first month is free). I have tried it and I agree with others that it tries to fit people into a single box as they had at the time one swing to compare you too. It did help outline one fault I know I have with my spine angle getting out of sorts. Having multiple acceptable swings would help, but think the swing is very complex and the technology is a bit far a way to use without a teaching pro to break the video down.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Pros I have worked with use v1, hudl/technique. These allow them to add in lines, etc as part of their analysis of a swing based on their years of experience.

Apps like skillest or CoachNow are avenues to connect with coaches for online lessons. The fees associated with these are for the time of the coach to review and analyze the swing and provide feedback.

Things like arccos aren’t necessarily used for swing analysis but data analysis of ones game to improve play/club selection on a course.

I work with a coach who charges a small fee compared to others and he take the swing video via text message and sends back analysis the same way along with videos on demonstrating whatever he’s trying to communicate

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1