TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon Introduces the 2021 ZX Iron Lineup

Golfspy_CG2

Our own John Barba will have his very detailed look at these as well on the homepage today, but here is the official word on the launch of the much anticipated ZX iron line 

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. — Nov. 16, 2020 — SRIXON®, a global leader in top quality irons, announces the launch of the new ZX Irons, state-of-the-art equipment at the cutting edge of iron design and performance. Srixon’s ZX Irons officially launch in North America on January 15, 2021. 

ZX Irons 

Srixon remains at the forefront of iron design and performance, and the new ZX Irons represent the perfect combination of beauty and power. 

“While the new ZX Irons are gorgeous to look down at, it’s the technology inside that’s even more exciting,” said Jeff Brunski, Vice President of Research and Development. “Hotter faces designed using AI optimization delivers more speed. Meanwhile, varying grooves throughout the iron set gives golfers consistent distance control, and forged construction helps them feel incredible at impact.” 

Created with human intelligence yet perfected by the artificial kind, MainFrame is a one-of-a-kind face design that increases ball speed on every shot. Milled into the backside of every iron face, MainFrame is a variable thickness pattern made up of grooves, channels, and cavities. 

After two years of learning and refining, these final faces offer greatly improved COR because they maximize flex at impact for more ball speed on every strike. 

Srixon’s ZX5 irons combine pioneering ball speed technology with premium forged feel and delivers all of it in a forgiving yet workable profile that’s razor sharp at address. 

Meanwhile, Srixon’s ZX7 irons provide a compact blade shape, slim topline, and narrow sole that delivers the workability, feel, and aesthetics of a world-class players iron. 

Both irons offer an updated Tour V.T. Sole that glides smoothly through the turf, progressive grooves to improve consistency, and forged construction from a soft 1020 carbon steel body that absorbs vibrations for an extremely soft feel. 

ZX Utility Irons are smaller and more compact than previous generations, delivering a more blade-like address profile that blends seamlessly with any set. ZX Utility Irons deliver Srixon’s MainFrame technology, along with a hollow design and multi-piece construction. All of these powerful technologies come together in a smaller profile, with all the same forgiveness that is expected from a utility iron.

image.png

Key Innovations Inside ZX Irons:

• MainFrame – A milled pattern on the backside of each ZX5 Iron face optimizes COR for more ball speed and more distance on every shot.
  • Tour Cavity – Mass repositioned to ZX7’s sweet spot and perimeter provide a remarkably soft feel at impact and increased workability.
  • Progressive Grooves – Grooves in the 8i through PW on the ZX5 and ZX7 irons are sharper, narrower, and deeper for more spin and stopping power on approach shots into the green.
  • Tour V.T. Sole – V-Shaped soles glide smoothly through the turf, while the ZX5 and ZX7 irons also feature the resurgence of our popular sole notches.

Pricing: ZX7 Irons (8-piece steel) - $1,299.99, ZX5 Irons (8-piece steel) - $1,299.99, ZX5 Irons (8-piece graphite) - $1,399.99, ZX Utility Irons - $219.99

U.S. Retail Launch Date: January 15, 2021

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I like the look of all 3.  The price is bit shocking since Srixon has been able to keep the price lower than most brands for awhile but at the same time I knew it couldnt last long. Their irons are probably the most underrated in golf

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I saw the clubs a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t think I would like them based on early photos but they look really nice in person.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Srixon consistently makes some of the best looking irons out there. I wish they would have something more in the SGI category with those looks, but I understand why those lines are on the Cleveland side. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Some more pics of the ZX5 and ZX7

zx5 lineup address.png

ZX5 Sole.png

ZX5 Toe.png

Zx7 lineup address.png

ZX7 Sole.png

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

Srixon consistently makes some of the best looking irons out there. I wish they would have something more in the SGI category with those looks, but I understand why those lines are on the Cleveland side. 

Stay tuned...you never know 🙂

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I like the look of all 3.  The price is bit shocking since Srixon has been able to keep the price lower than most brands for awhile but at the same time I knew it couldnt last long. Their irons are probably the most underrated in golf

Yeah, I know you realize these are in the same price range as comparable irons from Taylormade, Mizuno and Titleist.   But we also know Srixon doesn't have the name recognition among the casual player that those irons do.  So it will be interesting to see how the perform at that price.   

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I saw the clubs a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t think I would like them based on early photos but they look really nice in person.

I've had every iteration of the Srixon 5 irons since the 545 series, so I see no reason to break that trend now 🙂

2 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, I know you realize these are in the same price range as comparable irons from Taylormade, Mizuno and Titleist.   But we also know Srixon doesn't have the name recognition among the casual player that those irons do.  So it will be interesting to see how the perform at that price.   

I've had every iteration of the Srixon 5 irons since the 545 series, so I see no reason to break that trend now 🙂

Yeah as a Srixon fan and with some ties to that brand I like to see them succeed and when you don’t have the same retail space and eyes on the product the price can help someone maybe give them a try. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Since I'm not smart enough to quote multiple people in the same post, I'll just do a single response. 

So I don't think Srixon is going to release an SGI. That seems to go against what they're shaping their business model as. Instead, I think Cleveland will continue to expand on the GI and SGI lines while Srixon will focus on the better players. And you see that focus in the common tech. My CBX launchers from Cleveland have V soles and me and every other CBX user I know loves them. Lo and behold, you now get that tech in a player's iron. 

Also, as Srixon keeps growing, I don't think they'll be able to keep the prices as low as they used to. Which isn't bad. Rather, it seems they're using Cleveland and Xxio as the product testers, refining the concepts that work for Srixon, and dumping the higher research costs on the players willing to pay for the better gear while keeping Cleveland more accessible and affordable to the casual golfer. 

I love the look of these irons. Speaking from experience, some of the tech in them that they grabbed from the Cleveland Launcher line will make golfers very happy. And well done Srixon.

Edited by MNUte
Typo

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

18 minutes ago, MNUte said:

So I don't think Srixon is going to release an SGI. That seems to go against what they're shaping their business model as. Instead, I think Cleveland will continue to expand on the GI and SGI lines while Srixon will focus on the better players. And you see that focus in the common tech. My CBX launchers from Cleveland have V soles and me and every other CBX user I know loves them. Lo and behold, you now get that tech in a player's iron. 

Srixon has had the VT Sole since the first iteration of these irons back in 2014. The Cleveland lines got it from there.

If Rob is hinting that there might be a chance of an SGI from Srixon (don't forget they had the 355 line for a few years) then I'd lean towards there being a better chance than not of it happening. 

26 minutes ago, MNUte said:

Since I'm not smart enough to quote multiple people in the same post, I'll just do a single response. 

Also, as Srixon keeps growing, I don't think they'll be able to keep the prices as low as they used to. Which isn't bad. Rather, it seems they're using Cleveland and Xxio as the product testers, refining the concepts that work for Srixon, and dumping the higher research costs on the players willing to pay for the better gear while keeping Cleveland more accessible and affordable to the casual golfer. 

I love the look of these irons. Speaking from experience, some of the tech in them that they grabbed from the Cleveland Launcher line will make golfers very happy. And well done Srixon.

It's not a matter of being smart enough to quote multiple posts 🙂  I'ts just knowing where the function is.    Just click on the  big + sign next to quote on every post you want to reply to as you are reading the thread.  You can click as many as you want, well at least 6 or 7 that I know for sure.   Then you will see a little box pop up in the bottom right of your screen that says quote this post and the count.   Once you're read to reply to each of them, click that button and they will all populate in a single post and you can type comments below each one.

oh and like I told Russtopherb on the SGI, stay tuned.  That's not a promise, just a hunch. 

In for ZX4/ZX5 mixed set...

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

It's not a matter of being smart enough to quote multiple posts 🙂  I'ts just knowing where the function is.    Just click on the  big + sign next to quote on every post you want to reply to as you are reading the thread.  You can click as many as you want, well at least 6 or 7 that I know for sure.   Then you will see a little box pop up in the bottom right of your screen that says quote this post and the count.   Once you're read to reply to each of them, click that button and they will all populate in a single post and you can type comments below each one.

oh and like I told Russtopherb on the SGI, stay tuned.  That's not a promise, just a hunch. 

Thanks! And I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see a Srixon SGI, since I've had only had good experience with the company as a whole and loved hitting the Cleveland Launcher line. I couldn't get over the looks of the HB and UHX irons, but they hit so well and consistently. It would definitely be fun to see how Srixon would design and present an SGI. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

I will say these would be great to test 😉 I would be curious to see how the VT sole works in irons.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

3 minutes ago, MNUte said:

Thanks! And I'd be very pleasantly surprised to see a Srixon SGI, since I've had only had good experience with the company as a whole and loved hitting the Cleveland Launcher line. I couldn't get over the looks of the HB and UHX irons, but they hit so well and consistently. It would definitely be fun to see how Srixon would design and present an SGI. 

ZX4 = SGI

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

I think these look good and I hope they sell well. I'm glad companies are making more blendable lines of irons, but it has to be expensive to do this. They have to make three sets of dies and tooling to essentially sell one set of irons. I'd be curious to see what the average handicap is of those buying these "players" blended sets. The true market for players irons like these are probably rather limited but sex sells. TBF, the ZX 5 does look a little chunky and has some offset, so it probably fits a rather wide range of golfers. I think the sole design with the ground off portions on the toe and heel is interesting. I'd be curious to see if that would help with turf interaction in a meaningful way. I personally like V-sole grinds but my swing leans towards sweeping and the added effective bounce generally helps with that. 

I hope these get sent to Maltby for his measurements because I would be curious what the MOI and COGs figures are. I believe Srixon has generally had rather high COGs in the past and I would be curious to see if they have pulled that down at all. It does look like their is some tungsten in the sole, so maybe these will be better. I know many think Maltby's MPF ratings are worthless and I would tend to agree but I do like seeing the measurements because they do seem accurate.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020 TESTER Ben Hogan UiHi 18* Utility Iron

Driver:     - Anser - 8.5* - Fujikara Red Blur 005 XStiff - Standard L/L

3W:     - SQ Sumo - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Stiff - Standard L/L

Hybrid 3:     - Machspeed - UST Mamiya AXIVCore XStiff -Standard L/L

Irons:      - Idea Black CB3  4-GW - KBS Tour Stiff+ - Standard L/L

Wedges:    - Vokey 52*, 54*, 60* - True Temper Wedge - Standard L/L

Putter:     - Versa Blade - 35in

Ball:      NXT Tour

Bag:  - Ultra Light Cart Bag  

Loc: USA/MD

Handicap: 13

The thing that most interests me about Srixon irons in the V-Sole. I am a turf destroyer, and if these can help me even a tiny bit, they would be worth it. I am not expecting magic here, but any help i can get would be awesome. 

Updated 07/15/2022

3 hours ago, dlow206 said:

The thing that most interests me about Srixon irons in the V-Sole. I am a turf destroyer, and if these can help me even a tiny bit, they would be worth it. I am not expecting magic here, but any help i can get would be awesome. 

Switching to the 921 Forged from the Z785s and then back to the Z785s made me realize how good the VT sole is. It makes a difference IMO!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

19 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

Switching to the 921 Forged from the Z785s and then back to the Z785s made me realize how good the VT sole is. It makes a difference IMO!

It’s a huge difference.  I also had comparisons with 919 Forged and  Z585.  Such a different turf interaction. 

Almost pulled the trigger on the Z785’s, and all signs indicate it will be tough to keep the set I have instead of grabbing the ZX7’s. The v-sole is legit. I tend to be a little steep with my swing. Time will tell!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I guess the question is, find a good deal on Z585s or wait for ZX5s?

Updated 07/15/2022

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Exactly! That's one of the main reasons why I chose the Cleveland CBX Launchers. TXG on their channel this morning in looking at the ZX irons mentioned how good the Vsole is for diggers or people like me with a steeper path. And speaking from experience, knowing that there's that turf forgiveness is just such a mental comfort and one less thing to worry about that it really feels so much smoother throughout your shot. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

1 hour ago, dlow206 said:

I guess the question is, find a good deal on Z585s or wait for ZX5s?

The Z585s are really good so I'd say scoop a set if you can find one. I got my second set of Z785s BNIB for $675 so there are deals out there!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

you could also combo a 585/785 set.... these irons are some of the best you will ever play.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Cleveland/Srixon have a history of being able to make a great blended set, the ability to easily combine the Altitudes/MTs/TTs really got a lot of traction and the Z lines have continued it. A potential ZX4/ZX5 set just sounds so sexy and I haven't even seen the 4s yet!!! As a digger myself, the VT sole would probably be a huge help for me.

FYI if others are interested, a couple combo sets of the 7 series on the WRX BST 

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

33 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

you could also combo a 585/785 set.... these irons are some of the best you will ever play.

You are tempting me too much *clicks heels* “I don’t need new irons, I don’t need new irons”

My Reviews:

The 785's were the only thing remotely close to the same feel and fit for my game that my Mizuno MP 18 SC's were.  At that point, I only had my Mizunos for about 8 months and still have them now a few years later.  My irons are certainly a strength of my game, but if I do choose to change it may be to these ZX7's if they look and feel as good as the 785's did.  A little disappointed by the pricing increases, but Srixon is a great iron that gets looked over too many times.  

Possibly even go to the 785's if I can find them in mint condition from a reseller.  In my opinion, irons like these don't get major overhauls or updates to them as more game improvement irons can. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"