TESTERS WANTED! ×

Srixon Introduces the 2021 ZX Iron Lineup

Golfspy_CG2

On 11/17/2020 at 9:35 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I don't anything about the z forged but I can tell you the 785s are fantastic clubs. Right up there with any Mizuno or Titleist. Seriously underrated.

The heads can be a little small so the idea of adding 4-6 585 with 785 7-P is done quite a bit for mid HC.
I have a full set of 785 and they are great, but if you want a touch more forgiveness with the long irons the 585 offer that.

I started with 4-W of 785s based on a 7 iron fitting.  4 and 5 were so bad for me, so snatched up some 585s.  Those things are launchers, so much fun to hit the 4 and 5 iron again.  I used to dread it.  Only wished I had gone with the 6 iron as well.  Its so hit or miss for me.  Absolutely love it on good strikes, but I get a little toe side and it loses 20 yds.  Zx5s and 7s in like the W and 9 might be the way to go for me.  Can't wait to hit them. 

Driver - Taylormade M5 10.5 (set to 9.75 deg and 1.5 open)  Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7x

3 wood - TM M3 17 deg (set to 15.5 deg and 3 deg open) GD DI 7x

3 Hybrid - TM rocketballz Accra Dymatch S165, 68g, M5 flex (XS)

Irons  (4-5) - Srixon 585s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Irons (6-W) - Srixon 785s Nippon Modus Pro 120x

Wedges (51, 56, 60) - Cleveland RTX4 Nippon Modus 125 Wedge Flex

Putter - EvnRoll ER5

On 11/17/2020 at 8:35 AM, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I don't anything about the z forged but I can tell you the 785s are fantastic clubs. Right up there with any Mizuno or Titleist. Seriously underrated.

The heads can be a little small so the idea of adding 4-6 585 with 785 7-P is done quite a bit for mid HC.
I have a full set of 785 and they are great, but if you want a touch more forgiveness with the long irons the 585 offer that.

I'd call them criminally underrated in terms of quality and performance TBH. I gamed a combo set for a bit and it was solid. I'm considering doing the same for the ZX series, going ZX5 for 5-6 and ZX7 for 7-PW. We shall see!

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

12 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

I'd call them criminally underrated in terms of quality and performance TBH. I gamed a combo set for a bit and it was solid. I'm considering doing the same for the ZX series, going ZX5 for 5-6 and ZX7 for 7-PW. We shall see!

I am thinking about ZX4 5-6 and ZX5 7-PW, and ZX4 is not even announced yet haha.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

If I didn’t just get the pxgs I would got 4-6 zx5 7-9 zx7 and Pw z forged. Since no aw in the forged, may then just go 7-aw in zx7. I can dream but likely not happening due to my recent purchase 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, ejcrossl said:

To me it's the PXG effect.  PXG rocked the market with extremely expensive clubs.  All other brands took notice, and now the prices are rising.  Golfers won't stop buying because well marketing on new shiny clubs is so good.  So now all make more money and we lose on the "value".  Thanks PXG 😕

For awhile I was in the crowns that there was no pxg effect and the brand was in similar space to Miura and other niche high end brands similar to how there’s high end niche type cars that really don’t impact the price of your everyday cars.  But as time has gone on I think there is a little bit of the pxg effect especially once pxg took off a little with the gen1 hero pricing and then gen2 release. The brands took notice that places like club champion and similar business models were having customers end up in the pxgs.  

Callaway was the first to try it with the epic irons and based solely on perception I don’t think it worked how they wanted and imo that’s because the had the same name as their standard offering. Titleist with the cncpt irons had much better success with them being limited quantities.

It’s going to be interesting to see how things go in 2021

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

After my ball striking with the PXGs today, i may hold off on the V-sole unless I win a contest or get chosen to test, which I would thoroughly run these through their paces. 😉

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

My Reviews:

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

Did something kind of crazy as it relates to the ZX irons...

Updated 07/15/2022
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

Did something kind of crazy as it relates to the ZX irons...

Oh boy, how so? Does it involve their UK site?

My Reviews:

6 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Oh boy, how so? Does it involve their UK site?

it involves an open box JDM set

Updated 07/15/2022

On 11/20/2020 at 9:34 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Srixon is far from a small brand. They are and have been one of the largest brands in Asia and Europe for quite some time. They were brought to the US in 2014 to expand the market as well as the offerings from SRI which also include Cleveland and XXIO (the premium brand in the group). 

The company has wanted to keep the Srixon brand more of a premium offering which is why they have a smaller retail presence in the US than the other brands you mentioned, which unfortunately hurts their exposure a bit as does the minimal advertisements on TV.

As for the other brands there are very few that have irons under $1300 that aren’t labels game improvement. 

Like it or not the cost of materials, the transportation of such materials and other economic factors for production play a role in the price as does the cost of research and development. This release utilized AI in its design which is going to add to the cost. But as @Golfspy_CG2 eluded too in regard to the Wilson ball companies have to consider the perceptions of equipment and names in heir relationship to the competitors. So raising the price to the same as the other brands plays a role in letting the consumer know they are on level with those other brands.

Yes you are correct that consumers thru demand have a role in the price of goods and if consumers stopped buy goods the demand would go down and such the price would too. But that’s not going to happen as long as we are in a thriving economy and have the means to buy. It’s the same with cars and what used to be the cost effective brands still are but they are just at a higher price than before.

Golf consumers have been spoiled for a long time with prices. Callaway had a $500 driver back in the 90s before what we became used to with $400 or less being the norm for drivers and now it’s getting harder to find that price and many of the fairway woods are creeping into that range as drives go past the $500 mark.

Golf retail Is a booming business and I don’t see consumers on a large scale deciding not to buy new clubs anytime soon. 

I couldn't agree with you more, and that's the sad part.  I don't see consumers not buying new clubs either.  Each year we are fooled into thinking the new model is better than the last, when in fact that's not always the case.  Look, I like shinny new clubs as much as the next guy but at what point to we, as consumers, reach our breaking point?  Who will be the first to come out with a stock thousand dollar driver and try to tell the public that it is justified, and when it happens, will we all just simply say..."makes sense"?

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

On 11/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, ejcrossl said:

To me it's the PXG effect.  PXG rocked the market with extremely expensive clubs.  All other brands took notice, and now the prices are rising.  Golfers won't stop buying because well marketing on new shiny clubs is so good.  So now all make more money and we lose on the "value".  Thanks PXG 😕

I agree, which is a shame as well.  When PXG came out with their clubs and prices I just laughed knowing it was too expensive for me to even try.  They now offer a sweet military discount but I am not in the military.  To this day, I have never hit a PXG club outside of one driver while getting fitted.  I will say, I love the way the new Srixon's look and would love to try them out.  I hear the older ones feel great so I can only assume the new ones feel the same or better.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

1 minute ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I agree, which is a shame as well.  When PXG came out with their clubs and prices I just laughed knowing it was too expensive for me to even try.  They now offer a sweet military discount but I am not in the military.  To this day, I have never hit a PXG club outside of one driver while getting fitted.  I will say, I love the way the new Srixon's look and would love to try them out.  I hear the older ones feel great so I can only assume the new ones feel the same or better.  

I will say, pxg pricing is low now and worth a try. Although I would love the v sole of the Srixons, my 0211s work. At $89 a stick if you want stock shaft ($120 otherwise) not terrible pricing now. 

My Reviews:

Currently gaming the 585 5 and 6 iron and 785 7-PW. Probably going to buy the ZX5 5 and 6 iron to replace the 585s. Looks like a better visual blend as well. But I dont imagine the ZX7 being a drastic improvement on the 785. Such a quality iron. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

In my hand

IMG_7616.JPG.b83e62122360beb5f1ddb33e7840666f.JPG

Updated 07/15/2022

4 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Send me your credit cards and check book. You are banned from buying any more new equipment until you break 80.

Done buying equipment for a while i think, deal was just too good lol

Updated 07/15/2022

A little black paint fill and those are going to blend perfect with the 785s. 

@dlow206 let us know what you think of the ZX5.

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

17 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Currently gaming the 585 5 and 6 iron and 785 7-PW. Probably going to buy the ZX5 5 and 6 iron to replace the 585s. Looks like a better visual blend as well. But I dont imagine the ZX7 being a drastic improvement on the 785. Such a quality iron. 

I had that exact setup for a bit, but now I'm gaming straight Z785s. The combo set was very good and I'm leaning towards the ZX5/ZX7 combo split at ZX5 5-6, ZX7 7-AW. I'm trying to find out if Srixon will offer the Project X LS iron shafts as I'd like to give those a go. 1/6 needs to hurry up and get here!

40 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

I had that exact setup for a bit, but now I'm gaming straight Z785s. The combo set was very good and I'm leaning towards the ZX5/ZX7 combo split at ZX5 5-6, ZX7 7-AW. I'm trying to find out if Srixon will offer the Project X LS iron shafts as I'd like to give those a go. 1/6 needs to hurry up and get here!

Have you hit those shafts before? I found the 785 already a touch stronger lofted and lower spin. I love the flight of the Modus 120s. I imagine for me the X LS would increase distance, but make it harder to hold greens. But I am not a high ball, high spin player. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

6 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Have you hit those shafts before? I found the 785 already a touch stronger lofted and lower spin. I love the flight of the Modus 120s. I imagine for me the X LS would increase distance, but make it harder to hold greens. But I am not a high ball, high spin player. 

I have not tried them yet, but I'm going to see if I can before I order these! I get plenty of height with the TI X100s so I may end up sticking with them depending on upcharge situation. 

The X7 are my personal fav for what is coming so far.. I really like how they look. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone hit the 585 3I? I see one on 2nd swing with my shaft and thinking of adding it as a hybrid replacement. 

My Reviews:

7 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Has anyone hit the 585 3I? I see one on 2nd swing with my shaft and thinking of adding it as a hybrid replacement. 

I haven’t hit the 3i but it’s not an easy club to hit. The 4i is one that’s going to be where slower swing speeds and inconsistent contact is really going to start penalizing inconsistent contact.

Going from a hybrid to a 3i you will sacrifice  distance and forgiveness. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

ZX4 4 iron (assuming there will be one) might be a good hybrid replacement. ZX4 is the SGI club in the lineup but there aren't many details about it yet. 

Updated 07/15/2022

ZX4 4 iron (assuming there will be one) might be a good hybrid replacement. ZX4 is the SGI club in the lineup but there aren't many details about it yet. 

EDIT: found the details on the ZX4

ZX4.jpg.6a8e8507db84367462090f8eea566099

Updated 07/15/2022

3 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

EDIT: found the details on the ZX4

ZX4.jpg.6a8e8507db84367462090f8eea566099

Thanks but no 3I option it looks like. What I likely need to do is go for a UI or DHY. I struggle with hybrids and woods. May need to practice my 2i 0311X off the turf more as I can hit it off the tee great. 

My Reviews:

A UI can be a good option over an iron but they aren’t going to be something that drastically easier to hit than an iron. 

28 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Thanks but no 3I option it looks like. What I likely need to do is go for a UI or DHY. I struggle with hybrids and woods. May need to practice my 2i 0311X off the turf more as I can hit it off the tee great. 

I have a TM 3dhy collecting dust

Updated 07/15/2022

11 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

I have a TM 3dhy collecting dust

🤔 stiff?

My Reviews:

Just hit these. They feel great. Mishits weren’t punishing but good feedback from the club at the same time. Worth trying!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter