Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Looking forward to 2021... WITB thoughts

Thoughts going into '21..

Ditching any ego and not caring what others might think while making the game much easier with helping my misses as much as possible. My biggest problem is the lack of height on my shots. Currently play a Driver, 5, 7, 5h, 6-GW irons, 54, 58, 64 degree wedges. My money club is the 7w. I absolutely love it but theres a big gap between that and the 5h and 6i. The misses with the 6i are awful and I would like the gap to be a bit smaller with the 7w and 5h. 

Changes I'm most likely going to make are ditching the 5h for an 11w. then ditching the 6i for a 6h. Also will be a real driver fitting somewhere reputable. The bag will look ridiculous but I think I'll enjoy the game that much more and on the off game days I think my game wont be as penalized. From there I plan to actually start lessons to correct a lot of the things I do wrong and 2022 will bring a lot of changes in the bag. 

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

4 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

My 2021 WITB is basically set already. I desperately need some fresh wedges though

You have connections! I feel certain that you will have new wedges soon.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

• 2 weeks later...

My main want for this year is a new 5 wood.  I don't hit my 3 wood very well so I only have a driver, a 5 wood and 2 hybrids (21 and 25 degrees with irons starting at 6 iron.

My current 5 wood is by far the oldest club in my bag and, while I have traditionally liked it, I want to try out new ones this winter/spring.  Not easy to try out at fitters because I am left-handed, but I am trying.  

I have toyed with the idea of getting a XXIO 5 wood in addition to something else as almost a pseudo 3 wood.  My guess (from hitting one for a few minutes at a demo day for XXIO at my club) is that I will hit the XXIO further but not as consistently than other five woods.  I would use another 5 wood as a five wood for when I want a distance a little bit further than my current 5 wood (say on a long par four)  and the XXIO if I want one to go further - say on par five.  

My thought is to first get a replacement 5 wood (most likely a Ping, Titleist or Callaway) and then see if the XXIO goes enough further to make this worthwhile.  I am a senior by the way. 

Thoughts?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

10 hours ago, HAC said:

My main want for this year is a new 5 wood.  I don't hit my 3 wood very well so I only have a driver, a 5 wood and 2 hybrids (21 and 25 degrees with irons starting at 6 iron.

My current 5 wood is by far the oldest club in my bag and, while I have traditionally liked it, I want to try out new ones this winter/spring.  Not easy to try out at fitters because I am left-handed, but I am trying.  

I have toyed with the idea of getting a XXIO 5 wood in addition to something else as almost a pseudo 3 wood.  My guess (from hitting one for a few minutes at a demo day for XXIO at my club) is that I will hit the XXIO further but not as consistently than other five woods.  I would use another 5 wood as a five wood for when I want a distance a little bit further than my current 5 wood (say on a long par four)  and the XXIO if I want one to go further - say on par five.  

My thought is to first get a replacement 5 wood (most likely a Ping, Titleist or Callaway) and then see if the XXIO goes enough further to make this worthwhile.  I am a senior by the way. 

Thoughts?

Honestly, I've heard a lot of people across the gambit that experience issues with hitting a three wood.  In a lot of cases, I've found that telling and working with someone to use it more as a Tee Shot club than a fairway club often turns their thoughts.  Comes into play when you're on a shorter Par 4 or 5 where you can ensure that your accuracy is maximized.  BUT, the big thing in my thought process and it's produced with people that I've worked with is that by Tee'ing it up you feel like you can hit it a bit easier no matter if you hit down or are a sweeper.  (From my experience the Hitting Down crew are the ones that struggle the most from the fairway with a 3 wood)

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, because I'm an advocate of the 5 wood for a LOT of reasons.. but you might even want to consider a 4 wood.  With faces being hotter and the added distances clubs give you, that might gap perfectly with your current hybrids and driver.  You may loose 10-15 yards on your 3-wood, but I think it'll be a heck of a lot easier for you to hit.  

Personally, I am always preferential to Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist woods. Currently gaming the SIM and two Callaway woods/hybrids.  BUT I do flip in a Titleist Hybrid here and there sometimes that I have when I'm struggling with the Callaway Hybrid.  Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO all have stepped up their games this year.  They truly are putting out some nice product.  IF you can find a variety of these clubs in Left Hand then honestly I think you try them all and go with the one that gives you the best numbers overall! 

So in closing, test test test and go with the numbers.  They will never lead you astray.  And if you find that you still aren't getting numbers it might be worthy to drop a few dollars on a pro to work with you on the wood off the deck.  I gotta assume you're struggling because of the downward hitting angle of attack.  

Have a very merry and blessed Christmas brotha!  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Thanks for your thoughts.  With regard to your idea of a four wood, one reason I am interested in trying the Ping 5 wood is because its loft is a bit stronger (17.5 compared with 18) than a lot of five woods.  One reason I am looking for a new five wood is to get a bit more separation between the 5 wood and my Titleist 21 degree hybrid, which is a lot newer.  But, there are a couple of long par fours at my course where I would be happy with another 5-10 yards from the new wood from what I am getting now but not more - really don't want to go over the green.  So, I am think I want to go with the club where I find the most consistency rather than the longest club.  Since, by late winter spring (when I am likely to go out testing), almost all the clubs will be new or tweaked, it is hard right now to say what I will like best. 

Thanks again.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

Lessons once my hand is healed is #1. After that I wil add a new driver. Most likely a Cobra Speedzone. 

I was fitted some new irons and ended up with Mizuno 919 Tours with KBS Tours 120s. ove the clubs but not the shaft. I will most likely go back to TT DGs. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'm looking at a new driver and am most enamoured with the Titleist TSi2. I'm also looking at the new Sub70 289 wedges when they become available in the lofts I want. From there, possibly a new 3 hybrid. Before all that, it's lessons.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

To do, or not, a full bag fitting.....

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to finally make the move into upgrading my circa 1980 Ping EYE irons to the i210’s.  (Orange dot to the more appropriate Black dot for my dims).

As I started with wedges last summer, gaming a Glide 3.0 50*, I question going with the continuity of the irons or wedges.  Any thoughts/ help deciding on the PW of the iron set vs. Glide 3.0 46*? 

I’m not worried about the 1* difference in loft or bounce, rather the feel of the irons (only tested the 7iron of the i210).  I hear that the i210’s are based on the Glide 2.0 tech.  Probably not that different, right?

Planning to complete the new wedge set with a 54 or 56 Glide 3.0. 
I’ll stay with my original Big Bertha 1, 3, 5W for now. I love my 61* EYE2 Gorge LW - so buttery in green side funk 😉

23D01A3B-1710-43D4-8F57-64F6DCDA1BF1.jpeg

7 hours ago, FunkyTee said:

Looking to finally make the move into upgrading my circa 1980 Ping EYE irons to the i210’s.  (Orange dot to the more appropriate Black dot for my dims).

As I started with wedges last summer, gaming a Glide 3.0 50*, I question going with the continuity of the irons or wedges.  Any thoughts/ help deciding on the PW of the iron set vs. Glide 3.0 46*? 

I’m not worried about the 1* difference in loft or bounce, rather the feel of the irons (only tested the 7iron of the i210).  I hear that the i210’s are based on the Glide 2.0 tech.  Probably not that different, right?

Planning to complete the new wedge set with a 54 or 56 Glide 3.0. 
I’ll stay with my original Big Bertha 1, 3, 5W for now. I love my 61* EYE2 Gorge LW - so buttery in green side funk 😉

23D01A3B-1710-43D4-8F57-64F6DCDA1BF1.jpeg

Wow, those old school :ping-small: take me back!  Some of the best feeling irons I think ever made.  And perhaps one of the most famous / successful ones to boot!  That said, definitely probably time to upgrade at this point.  I've heard a lot of good things about the i210's.  People seem to really think they're one of the best irons on the market.  Good luck with the upgrade and play well! 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

The golf seasons blend together here in sunny San Diego, but for 2021 I am counting my recent tester TSi3 courtesy of MGS, and I also just added a TSi2 3w. The metals and wedges/putter should be set for quite a while (I hope), but just for kicks I also picked up a cheap MIM 52* to mess around with a 3 wedge setup that would allow me to include hybrid and DI in the bag for more options off the tee.

That should get me through 2021 (but never say never when it comes to golf spending 😐)

For next year, as technology-packed irons get smaller, and as becoming a father in 2020 meant less practice and fewer rounds, I am interested in a set of irons with a bit more forgiveness than my Cobra CBs - they are still performing just fine, and the DBM finish is in excellent shape even after 80+ rounds, but on my bad days I could use a little more help. I plan to test a few of the new models that are already out, but am keeping a close eye on iBlade and T100 replacements that I think will come out in the second half of the year.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H