Looking forward to 2021... WITB thoughts

On 12/6/2020 at 10:05 AM, BNewton51 said:

what's your current big stick?  I've tried a lot of them and have to say I settled on the SIM and I would definitely NOT change a thing!  That Driver has all the characteristics one could want in a driver (i.e. length, consistency, great ball speeds, low'ish spin, etc..) and then some!  Haven't been this consistent off the tee with anything else in a LONG time! 

Currently I am playing a Cobra driver - the Cobra King.  I am going to see if something else feels better and provides a more consistent pattern for me.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm taking a serious look at a set of Sub70 699 irons. They are a little bit bigger iron than what I like but I might give them a try for the price. 

As we move more towards 2021, I just wanted to throw a thread out there to discuss any new ideas everyone is exploring for 2021.  Like me, I'm sure many of you are all gear heads and love to play arou

I had a hard time going with sub70 after the $200 shaft upgrade. Price was too comparable to what I was fit for, mizuno JPX hot metal 921 with nippon modus shaft. 

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, chadley300 said:

Currently I am playing a Cobra driver - the Cobra King.  I am going to see if something else feels better and provides a more consistent pattern for me.

unless you're playing a model that is greater than 3 years old, there really wont be much in it to make a switch.  Unless, of course, the driver itself is just NOT behaving and you can no longer stand the sight of it. 😄  I think we've reached a point in tech with these clubs that updating to a newer model will just not be substantially beneficial unless you're seriously outdated. 

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

:callaway-small:Epic Flash - 14* 3-wood Mitsubishi Tensei Blue X-stiff

:titelist-small: TSI2 19* Hybrid Tensei Blue X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: -P770 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120 S 

:taylormade-small: - 50* , 54* and 58* MG2 Wedges  Dynamic Gold Tour S200

:scotty-cameron-1: - Tour Select Square Back

:taylormade-small: - Taylormade Flextech Bag (Blue and Grey)

:taylormade-small: - TP5 and TP5 Pix 

Bushnell Tour V-4 - Non-Slope edition 🙁

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

I am thinking of updating my irons. There are a lot of things i like about my P790s however when I was initially fit my swing was by no means where it is now and I believe that a thinner sole and lower launching shaft would be a good fit. I like to think something like a T100S or a Mizuno MMC would be a good fit.

• Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

3 Utility Iron: :cobra-small: King Utility Iron 18.5° Project X HZRDUS (S Flex)

3 Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 18° Tensei Blue 70S

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length) Zelos 7 Official Member Review (Here)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos: Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

Follow My Super Speed Training Progress Below 103mph-112mph and Gaining

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, karenburton1305 said:

I have to ask, is there a quick fix/cheat sheet to the clubs? Given that there's so many, and as a new learner, it can be difficult to get to grips with all of the different uses and choices. Are there any quick tips that I can use whilst I learn the details?

The most effective ways to find out which clubs fit your needs:

1. Be honest with yourself about your game and what your goals are
  2. Make an appointment with a reputable fitter where you can give all your details. (typical score, trouble parts of your game, what you do well, what your goals are-short and long, and your budget)
  3. Test a few brands at the suggestion of your fitter.  Go in there brand agnostic and allow them to pick out brands / clubs they feel will fit you best given your details
  4. and lastly, enjoy the process.  Nothing can be more satisfying than trying new clubs and having that full service you receive at a great fitter's shop. 

That's pretty much it.  While there isn't any written manual or cheat sheet, this will provide you with the most effective way to get out it the clubs that will work best for your. 

Play well and enjoy!

BNewt51

:taylormade-small:  9* Sim  Hzrdus Smoke "Yellow" Handcrafted 6.5  (Best borrow I've ever made from a buddy)

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months! 🤣

3 hours ago, ZMendle10 said:

I am thinking of updating my irons. There are a lot of things i like about my P790s however when I was initially fit my swing was by no means where it is now and I believe that a thinner sole and lower launching shaft would be a good fit. I like to think something like a T100S or a Mizuno MMC would be a good fit.

great thoughts on next clubs... Don't short change the JPX line, HMB's, or the P770s.  Those might all be good selections to put into your mix while you test out what's next. 

• Like 1

BNewt51

5 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

great thoughts on next clubs... Don't short change the JPX line, HMB's, or the P770s.  Those might all be good selections to put into your mix while you test out what's next. 

I will definitely test out the JPX line and HMB but not so much the 770's I'm not seeing too much of a difference to warrant the change without testing however I am open to potentially comboing hem in the shorter irons instead of a full set change.

4i-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Zelos 7 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length) Zelos 7 Official Member Review (Here)

*Depending on the course and conditions I choose between my hybrid and utility iron the day of.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KpCSY2sLk97yCmUyoW-aVzLLs_k4CuPR5708OrVw5gA/edit?usp=sharing

5 minutes ago, ZMendle10 said:

I will definitely test out the JPX line and HMB but not so much the 770's I'm not seeing too much of a difference to warrant the change without testing however I am open to potentially comboing hem in the shorter irons instead of a full set change.

The only thing I saw in the two was that the P770's were a bit thinner and smaller, but as you pointed out not much. 😄 

I wasn't a big Mizuno guy for many years.  In fact, never fully played a set in my bag that I wasn't borrowing at any given time.  But making the change over this year to the JPX tour models, I couldn't recommend them more.  And if you like to manufacture shots or move the ball around, those give you the ability as well as forgiveness that you wouldn't expect in them. 

BNewt51

30 minutes ago, BNewton51 said:

The only thing I saw in the two was that the P770's were a bit thinner and smaller, but as you pointed out not much. 😄 

I wasn't a big Mizuno guy for many years.  In fact, never fully played a set in my bag that I wasn't borrowing at any given time.  But making the change over this year to the JPX tour models, I couldn't recommend them more.  And if you like to manufacture shots or move the ball around, those give you the ability as well as forgiveness that you wouldn't expect in them. 

The reason I like the Forged as opposed to the tour is that I tend to get shallow and because of that thin shots are a nightmare so a little bit of help on the bottom few grooves is very much welcomed.

• Like 1

My 2021 WITB is basically set already. I desperately need some fresh wedges though

• Like 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Thoughts going into '21..

Ditching any ego and not caring what others might think while making the game much easier with helping my misses as much as possible. My biggest problem is the lack of height on my shots. Currently play a Driver, 5, 7, 5h, 6-GW irons, 54, 58, 64 degree wedges. My money club is the 7w. I absolutely love it but theres a big gap between that and the 5h and 6i. The misses with the 6i are awful and I would like the gap to be a bit smaller with the 7w and 5h. 

Changes I'm most likely going to make are ditching the 5h for an 11w. then ditching the 6i for a 6h. Also will be a real driver fitting somewhere reputable. The bag will look ridiculous but I think I'll enjoy the game that much more and on the off game days I think my game wont be as penalized. From there I plan to actually start lessons to correct a lot of the things I do wrong and 2022 will bring a lot of changes in the bag. 

• Like 1

Driver-  :taylormade-small:  2016 M2 12* Tensei Red Stiff

Wood(s)- :ping-small:  G400 5 Wood 16.9*/ 7 Wood 21.1* Alta CB Stiff

Irons-:mizuno-small:   JPX 900 Forged 6-GW NS Pro 950GH 

Wedges- :cleveland-small:   RTX 3 54*  588 RTX 2.0  58*   RTX 4 64*

Putter-  :taylormade-small:  Spider Tour Black 

Instagram- @patrickleeleep

4 hours ago, DPattGolf said:

My 2021 WITB is basically set already. I desperately need some fresh wedges though

You have connections! I feel certain that you will have new wedges soon.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

• 2 weeks later...

My main want for this year is a new 5 wood.  I don't hit my 3 wood very well so I only have a driver, a 5 wood and 2 hybrids (21 and 25 degrees with irons starting at 6 iron.

My current 5 wood is by far the oldest club in my bag and, while I have traditionally liked it, I want to try out new ones this winter/spring.  Not easy to try out at fitters because I am left-handed, but I am trying.  

I have toyed with the idea of getting a XXIO 5 wood in addition to something else as almost a pseudo 3 wood.  My guess (from hitting one for a few minutes at a demo day for XXIO at my club) is that I will hit the XXIO further but not as consistently than other five woods.  I would use another 5 wood as a five wood for when I want a distance a little bit further than my current 5 wood (say on a long par four)  and the XXIO if I want one to go further - say on par five.  

My thought is to first get a replacement 5 wood (most likely a Ping, Titleist or Callaway) and then see if the XXIO goes enough further to make this worthwhile.  I am a senior by the way. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Z Star
10 hours ago, HAC said:

My main want for this year is a new 5 wood.  I don't hit my 3 wood very well so I only have a driver, a 5 wood and 2 hybrids (21 and 25 degrees with irons starting at 6 iron.

My current 5 wood is by far the oldest club in my bag and, while I have traditionally liked it, I want to try out new ones this winter/spring.  Not easy to try out at fitters because I am left-handed, but I am trying.  

I have toyed with the idea of getting a XXIO 5 wood in addition to something else as almost a pseudo 3 wood.  My guess (from hitting one for a few minutes at a demo day for XXIO at my club) is that I will hit the XXIO further but not as consistently than other five woods.  I would use another 5 wood as a five wood for when I want a distance a little bit further than my current 5 wood (say on a long par four)  and the XXIO if I want one to go further - say on par five.  

My thought is to first get a replacement 5 wood (most likely a Ping, Titleist or Callaway) and then see if the XXIO goes enough further to make this worthwhile.  I am a senior by the way. 

Thoughts?

Honestly, I've heard a lot of people across the gambit that experience issues with hitting a three wood.  In a lot of cases, I've found that telling and working with someone to use it more as a Tee Shot club than a fairway club often turns their thoughts.  Comes into play when you're on a shorter Par 4 or 5 where you can ensure that your accuracy is maximized.  BUT, the big thing in my thought process and it's produced with people that I've worked with is that by Tee'ing it up you feel like you can hit it a bit easier no matter if you hit down or are a sweeper.  (From my experience the Hitting Down crew are the ones that struggle the most from the fairway with a 3 wood)

Not to throw a wrench in your plans, because I'm an advocate of the 5 wood for a LOT of reasons.. but you might even want to consider a 4 wood.  With faces being hotter and the added distances clubs give you, that might gap perfectly with your current hybrids and driver.  You may loose 10-15 yards on your 3-wood, but I think it'll be a heck of a lot easier for you to hit.  

Personally, I am always preferential to Taylormade, Callaway and Titleist woods. Currently gaming the SIM and two Callaway woods/hybrids.  BUT I do flip in a Titleist Hybrid here and there sometimes that I have when I'm struggling with the Callaway Hybrid.  Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO all have stepped up their games this year.  They truly are putting out some nice product.  IF you can find a variety of these clubs in Left Hand then honestly I think you try them all and go with the one that gives you the best numbers overall! 

So in closing, test test test and go with the numbers.  They will never lead you astray.  And if you find that you still aren't getting numbers it might be worthy to drop a few dollars on a pro to work with you on the wood off the deck.  I gotta assume you're struggling because of the downward hitting angle of attack.  

Have a very merry and blessed Christmas brotha!  

• Like 1

BNewt51

Thanks for your thoughts.  With regard to your idea of a four wood, one reason I am interested in trying the Ping 5 wood is because its loft is a bit stronger (17.5 compared with 18) than a lot of five woods.  One reason I am looking for a new five wood is to get a bit more separation between the 5 wood and my Titleist 21 degree hybrid, which is a lot newer.  But, there are a couple of long par fours at my course where I would be happy with another 5-10 yards from the new wood from what I am getting now but not more - really don't want to go over the green.  So, I am think I want to go with the club where I find the most consistency rather than the longest club.  Since, by late winter spring (when I am likely to go out testing), almost all the clubs will be new or tweaked, it is hard right now to say what I will like best. 

Thanks again.  

• Like 1
  • :ping-small: G Driver 10.5 Aldila Alta Regular Flex 55
  • :cobra-small: S2 5 wood Fujikura 65 FW Regular Shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft
  • :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length
  • Golf ball :srixon-small: Z Star

Lessons once my hand is healed is #1. After that I wil add a new driver. Most likely a Cobra Speedzone. 

I was fitted some new irons and ended up with Mizuno 919 Tours with KBS Tours 120s. ove the clubs but not the shaft. I will most likely go back to TT DGs. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'm looking at a new driver and am most enamoured with the Titleist TSi2. I'm also looking at the new Sub70 289 wedges when they become available in the lofts I want. From there, possibly a new 3 hybrid. Before all that, it's lessons.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSi2 Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.0
Fairway: :Sub70: 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939X 3 Hybrid Project X Even Flow Riptide 6.0
Irons: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Wedge: :cleveland-small: Smartsole S
Putter :yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X or Black

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to finally make the move into upgrading my circa 1980 Ping EYE irons to the i210’s.  (Orange dot to the more appropriate Black dot for my dims).

As I started with wedges last summer, gaming a Glide 3.0 50*, I question going with the continuity of the irons or wedges.  Any thoughts/ help deciding on the PW of the iron set vs. Glide 3.0 46*? 

I’m not worried about the 1* difference in loft or bounce, rather the feel of the irons (only tested the 7iron of the i210).  I hear that the i210’s are based on the Glide 2.0 tech.  Probably not that different, right?

Planning to complete the new wedge set with a 54 or 56 Glide 3.0. 
I’ll stay with my original Big Bertha 1, 3, 5W for now. I love my 61* EYE2 Gorge LW - so buttery in green side funk 😉

23D01A3B-1710-43D4-8F57-64F6DCDA1BF1.jpeg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, FunkyTee said:

Looking to finally make the move into upgrading my circa 1980 Ping EYE irons to the i210’s.  (Orange dot to the more appropriate Black dot for my dims).

As I started with wedges last summer, gaming a Glide 3.0 50*, I question going with the continuity of the irons or wedges.  Any thoughts/ help deciding on the PW of the iron set vs. Glide 3.0 46*? 

I’m not worried about the 1* difference in loft or bounce, rather the feel of the irons (only tested the 7iron of the i210).  I hear that the i210’s are based on the Glide 2.0 tech.  Probably not that different, right?

Planning to complete the new wedge set with a 54 or 56 Glide 3.0. 
I’ll stay with my original Big Bertha 1, 3, 5W for now. I love my 61* EYE2 Gorge LW - so buttery in green side funk 😉

23D01A3B-1710-43D4-8F57-64F6DCDA1BF1.jpeg

Wow, those old school :ping-small: take me back!  Some of the best feeling irons I think ever made.  And perhaps one of the most famous / successful ones to boot!  That said, definitely probably time to upgrade at this point.  I've heard a lot of good things about the i210's.  People seem to really think they're one of the best irons on the market.  Good luck with the upgrade and play well! 

• Like 1

BNewt51